News » WAB Debate

GP Appointments - A WAB Debate

Thursday August 8 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

ONE of the biggest problems facing ill people in Barnsley is that they can't get an appointment with their GP within a week, according to a councillor. Do you think this is a problem? Have you witnessed difficulties in trying to get an appointment with your GP? Have your say on our WAB Debate.

Cllr Jenny Platts made the remark at the meeting of the health and wellbeing and said: "Generally, you ring the GP for an appointment and could be waiting a week before you get in and the only way to get an emergency appointment is to ring at 8am or noon, which, for someone who works for a living, is very difficult."

The board was asked for suggestions on how primary care - defined as the first contact with a GP, dentist, pharmacist, optician or other healthcare provider - can be improved locally to feed into a national review by NHS England.

The NHS constitution states that a patient has the right to a see a primary care professional within 24 hours and a primary care doctor within 48 hours.

But Cllr Platts said: "If you can't get an appointment you're going to go to A&E instead. It's a vicious circle."

Council leader Sir Steve Houghton said dependency was a borough-wide problem. He said there were quality doctors delivering quality services, and more people may visit their GPs because they get a good service when actually the number of patient visits need to be reduced.

Reply Posted by never ill on Thursday August 8 2013 at 12:44
Im never ill. But when I do require an appointment to see a doctor or gp I cant phone up and make an appointment for a day that i am not working. I have to phone up the morning at half 8 and if im the last person to call I can't get an appointment. Then i have yo explain my problems to a receptionist and then they will decide if my problem is worth the doctor calling me and giving me a diagnosis over the phone. The round house at new lodge is a pathetic joke

Reply Posted by Marie James on Thursday August 8 2013 at 13:26
I completely agree. This is the exact same problem I have had. What has it got to do with the Receptionist? How can we carry on going to work (as we are encouraged to do by the Government) when we have to hang around until 8.30 to get an appointment and then, presuming we get one, have to hang around at home until 11.30 or whenever? After our 4 minutes 29 seconds of "audience" (where we are usually told to drink plenty of fluids and take over-the-counter medicines), we are no better off. My own feeling is that the Government are "running down" the NHS so that they can privatise it.

Reply Posted by Gail on Thursday August 8 2013 at 12:51
That's why the A and E department is so busy at the hospitals, because it is so hard to see your GP people go straight to hospital instead.

Reply Posted by Jason on Thursday August 8 2013 at 12:59
The worst, in my opinion, is the new surgery at The Roundhouse at New Lodge. Not once have we been able to get our children in there. Always told there are no appointments and had to go up to Park Grove or A&E. We are not over worrying parents either and don't take them for just anything!
I have been trying to get an appointment for weeks (want to book in advance as I have to fit in around work) and, even before I ask I am told there are none for the next two weeks! It's the first time I have wanted to see a doctor in Years!
My oldest lad needed a very urgent appointment when he returned from Uni...they messed it up twice and it was weeks before he saw anyone!
It is nothing more than a multi million pound reception desk!

Reply Posted by James on Friday December 2 2016 at 11:44
I know how you feel there Jason i am with same surgery i know this 3 years on but this surgery is a joke you cant get a appointment when needed mainly cause receptionists are busy or chatting about patients and i have a serious illness that thedocotrs keep claiming things even though a specialist says i cant work and i ahve a damn wound on my hand that wont heal up right cause of something wrong with my hands after they did a biopsy on it and they stillc ant find whatsw wrong a utter disgrace, let me know if youhave found a better surgery i'll join them too.

Reply Posted by Emma on Thursday August 8 2013 at 13:01
The Roundhouse is the most expensive glorified reception desk ever! You cannot actually get an appointment with GP. I moved my film to this surgery thinking it would be easier as I live in Carlton, I should have kept them at Midland Road. When I do manage to get an appointment they send me to park grove at the other end of town. I now tend to take my young children straight to paediatrics at A and E. I know I shouldn't but if you cannot get them in with GP what can you do?

Reply Posted by Marie James on Thursday August 8 2013 at 13:22
I have only visited my GP once in the 3 years I've lived in Barnsley. I have been invited for lots of (what I deem to be "unnecessary" ) tests, because I am a woman of a certain age and therefore tick a few funding boxes I presume. I recently had a troubling cough. We are hearing a lot of radio adverts and seeing a lot of TV adverts about a "cough you've had for over three weeks". So erring on the side of caution, I rang my GP practice. I am sure that, had I had the time and patience to ring every morning at 8am, I would have eventually cut through the red tape and been given an appointment. However, in the real world, you have to plan your day around your appointments. All I wanted to do was to pre-book an appointment at the beginning or the end of the day so that I could still go to work (12 miles away from my GP practice) and not have time off. This, I was told, was not possible, because I would have to ring the "same day" to get an appointment. I rang a different GP and asked them their appointment system and was told I could book in advance. I have now changed my GP; we'll see how that goes.

Reply Posted by crazymidwife on Thursday August 8 2013 at 13:27
I don't generally see my GP unless my head is hanging off - literally! But if I do need to see him, I have the luxury of seeing him the same day. No phoning up for appointments as at my GP we have a open walk in style clinic, where u just turn up at surgery time. We also have the luxury of ordering prescriptions at 10.30am and get to pick them up after 2pm the same day. That's the way i like it as you can't predict when ur ill. As for the GP surgery named above, you shouldn't have to tell the receptionist why u want an appt or what's wrong with you. It has nothing to do with the receptionist, they are not medically trained to decide whether you require an appt or not - it's none of their business! I'm so glad our receptionists are friendly and we can see our GP and get prescriptions signed within the same day - I think every GP should be like that. I love my GP surgery - it's fab! :-)

Reply Posted by debbie on Thursday August 8 2013 at 13:29
white rose in cudworth is a total nightmere to get through to in a morning.We once tried over 56 times to get our grandson in to be told no appointments left,we asked for a home visit the answer was no.In the end my grandson ended up at Barnsley hospital very ill

Reply Posted by Swifty on Thursday August 8 2013 at 13:39
5 days on average at my Doctors for an appointment . Big banner out side of building saying "NOW taking on New Patients"

Reply Posted by bob on Thursday August 8 2013 at 16:11
the next time you try to get an appointment for an emergency and the receptionist refuses ask her politely for her name, and then ask her to repeat once again that you canot see the dr, tell her you are recording the conversation and that as she is the one refusing to find you an appointment that if anything serious happens you will be holding her responsible as she is making medical decisions on wether you are ill enough for an emergency appointment.its always worked for me

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Thursday August 8 2013 at 18:31
Went to my doctor's last week was in some pain and when i phoned up i was told i had to wait a week. I told the lady on reception i would goto A&E department and surprise surprise i got an appointment that day.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Thursday August 8 2013 at 18:47
Hill Brow @ Mapplewell is the worst of the worst, absolute waste of time trying to ring up far better to go up in person and even then you are not guaranteed to get an appointment.
If I do ring I ask to speak to a doctor, if the receptionist asks what the problem is I simply tell her its personal, that usually works.

Reply Posted by sally on Thursday August 8 2013 at 20:29
st georges medical centre at the roundhouse is the worse ever, if you rang today they would not have any app for 2 weeks other than that you have to ring 8am its impossible to get through and when you do no app left, if you want an urgent app they get a triage nurse to ring you and she will then decide if you can have an appointment and even then I had to wait from Thursday til tues its a joke so if anyone knows any better drs in the athersley area please let me know cos I woiuld love to change

Reply Posted by kevin on Thursday August 8 2013 at 20:58
perhaps it would be a useful adventure to find out why the walk-in clinic was shut. I've asked our mp to look into it, sadly - no reply (I wonder why). if you cannot get a doctors appointment within 10 days; or that 111 is worse than useless, you go to a&e. yes there are no end of posters in Barnsley suggesting that only 1 in 4 people actually need that service. I would suggest in Barnsley there is no option. I was told again 111 that the nearest walk-in was wakefield,osset or rawmarsh - a fat lot of help if you live in barnsley

Reply Posted by Steve on Thursday August 8 2013 at 21:59
I was a patient at st George's medical practice it's an absolute joke trying to get an appointment. Too many patients too few doctors. The receptionists are rude and try to make it difficult for you to get an appointment. As previous comments if your working its difficult trying to get an appointment around work and have to wait 2 weeks for routine appointments. Needless to say I got pissed off with it threw the towel in and moved practices. What a great decision that was if its urgent you can get same day appointment.

Reply Posted by jay on Thursday August 8 2013 at 22:49
all the comments made are true why do we have to explane whats is wrong to the receptionist so they can decide if it worth an appointment there not medically trained when you ring for a appointment with a doctor its cos ya need one you feel ill or in pain no good two weeks later am fed up with it all nhs gone to the dogs I don't bother now till am desperate then I get asked by the gp why have you left it so long

Reply Posted by sam on Thursday August 8 2013 at 23:07
My original doctors on Park grove were shocking, the receptionist there wanted life story for why I was wanting an appointment, then when finally got an appointment would be at least an hour late going in to see doctor for 5 minutes. So I moved after they couldn't fit one of my children in for an appointment... for two weeks!!!! My new doctors is fab, I can ring up in the morning and have an appointment the same day and if its an emergency for the kids, if I can get there as soon as possible and they will squeeze me in... no questions asked by the receptionists, they are wonderful,

Reply Posted by wedge on Saturday August 10 2013 at 19:39
its abart time the stopped giving free health care then it would be easy to get in stop all time wasters

Reply Posted by dene on Saturday August 10 2013 at 19:48
you have to make appointment a week before you are ill at Hoyland Center it was a lot better before they moved in to the new place we only had 2 doctors but now you can see any doctor my last one i had to wait 2 weeks before i go in the the doc was hopeless,,,,

Reply Posted by x on Saturday August 10 2013 at 19:52
dont talk out of your backside wedge it wont stop time wasters it will just mean that poor people will die unnecessarely and if you can afford to pay to see your dr can i suggest politely that you bog off and find a private practice leaving an appointment free for someone who can't

Reply Posted by Lynda on Saturday August 10 2013 at 19:54
Getting into the doctors at Cudworth is an absolute joke, They expect you to call at 8.30 on the morning you need to see a doctor. I work full time so its impossible to ring the same day but if I want an appointment you have to wait at least a week and half. By the time you get in to see a doctor you are probably either close to death or not in need of one any more due to over-the-counter self medication, This can be a dangerous practice as you have to diagnose your own illness, Start looking at ways to help the full time worker, We get ill sometimes too, Not just unemployed and retired people and lazy bleeders who just wont work.

Reply Posted by j denman on Saturday August 10 2013 at 21:41
I agree I phoned the doctors took me 20 minutes to get through when I did all the appointments were gone she told me im better coming down at 8 am to book I told her I had to be at work at 6.30 so I couldn't get to surgery I then asked if I could book an appointment for in a couple of days n she said no I had to phone in the morning well im sorry im at work and you don't answer the phone how the hell do I get an appointment then and why do I pay my ni and taxes it sucks big time something should be done its not fair when ur ill your ill and I must admit some people really take the piss there there all the time give someone else a chance please end of rant

Reply Posted by A on Sunday August 11 2013 at 14:00
OH DEAR if I was the practicing manager of roundhouse. I would have to re consider my position. Or sort the appointment problem out. It's a disgrace. Mind you. I'm only complaining cause I can never get an appointment when I'm told to phone in the morning. But I can't because I'm at work. YES WORK. Same old same old. Work and you get no where. Big signs saying we are taking new patients. Can't fit the chuffing old ones in so that's a giggle. Receptionists are so rude.. And it's nothing to do with them what's wrong with you when you ring up.. My daughter had an eye infection. She was assessed over the phone. They can see throu phone lines now !!!!!! When we did get an app with the nurse. She said it would go on its own. If not come back in 2 weeks. !!!!!! Ah well. Never mind. Glad I'm not as slack as these people !! Must go to WORK now....

Reply Posted by Sally on Monday August 12 2013 at 12:55
It took me over a month to see a GP for dizziness and migraines, among other things. Saw the doctor, he told me to go to the opticians. Went to the opticians, my eyes are fine.
In the end, i'm still suffering dizziness and headaches.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Monday August 12 2013 at 13:01
While everybody is complaing about someones services.
Heres a point.
Most prescriptions issued are pain killers
cough medicines. antibiotics.
Cough medicines dont work.
Painkillers get from shops.
Antibiotics use garlic.
Why are you wasting time going to doctors they just give you they just give or sell you stuff that you can get from most shops or is it an obsession of paranoia

Reply Posted by ducky on Monday August 12 2013 at 13:43
Sally,you must demand to see the doctor again. I have just seem my doc today with the very same thing. He took my blood pressure cos the symptoms could have been a mini stroke he told me,!!!!!turns out its labyrarinthitis....look it up see if your symptoms match. I reckon they will. 2weeks tablets and he says it,all most likely be fine. The dizzyness is life changing I know,and its scary too. Good luck and I feel for you luv.

Reply Posted by Steph on Monday August 12 2013 at 17:07
Park Grove surgery is a joke!! They tell you to call at 8:30am but yet all the appointments are gone for that WEEK! Its a vicious circle.

Reply Posted by Sarah on Monday August 12 2013 at 17:19
I've been with park grove and roundhouse since I was born . This appointment problem as got worse over the past 5 yrs maybe more .. The attitude from the recepitonists stinks. But what riles me is they keep on taking more patients on knowing there arnt enough doctors to cover paitents . I've had to wait four weeks to see a doctor .. and another thing after hearing that a certain receptionist is taking bookings from ppl off Facebook as well which I think is disgusting .. I think the nhs needs to look into things deeper where paitents are concerned . And let the people who really need appointments have them ..

Reply Posted by Gav on Monday August 12 2013 at 17:55
Takes forever to get an appointment, you can be either dead better by time you get to see a doctor, most of the receptionists attitude is disgusting, and when/if you do get to see a GP your made to feel like your wasting their time!!!

Reply Posted by . on Monday August 12 2013 at 18:02
Midland road surgery in royston is appalling u ave to ring at 8.30am to get an appointment it may take an hour to get though there's never any appointments or in my case I was deemed ill enough by the receptionist to ave an emergency appointment at 3.30pm after stating I cannot make that time I ave to pick my children up from school I was told if ur well enough to go to school then u don't need an appointment today ring back tomorrow!! I ended up in a&e that very night with a collapsed lung!

Reply Posted by doreen on Monday August 12 2013 at 20:15
it was better in the old days, you went in look around took a chair then watch people go in as you moved round the chairs you always seam to know when it was your turn, and if any body went out of place they know about it ,,,,lol

Reply Posted by mandy on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 20:18
park grove medical centre (not on the corner of agnes rd) brilliant when they have locum Doctors on but the usual doctor is a waste of space. she doesnt listen and just doesnt care. i think alot of it has to do with the doctor not just receptionist. normally they can fit us in within the week, even if it does mean going to the other practice at birdwell, so cant really complain.

Reply Posted by Jordan. on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 20:19
Mae brussel you said why go to the doctors just buy paracetamols and garlic? What about diagnostics? Will a clove of garlic tell me if ive got a simple stomach ache or chrons disease? Sure paracetamols will take away a headache. . But what if it was a brain tumour causing the headache? Its VITAL that people go to the doctors to get diagnosed and referred if they feel that something isnt right. Its what they're there for and its why we pay our taxes and national insurance. Something needs to be done its a farce. And from the comments above im glad im not the only one who thinks so!

Reply Posted by NLK on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 20:21
Chapelfield medical centre in wombwell has a phone on the day policy. You have to call up between 8:30 and 9am on the day you wish to have an appointment. Its rediculous for me and my husband as whenever i phone i have to keep dialling over and over and over till i get through and there is never an appointment. Also if you phone at 1 min past 9 you get told you should have called before 9 and they dont care even if youve been calling since 8:30 on the dot but couldnt get through. Dont get me wrong i have NEVER been turned away when wanting an appointment for my 5 month old girl. But when me and my husband only get 1 day off a week and we call to find theres no appoinments for us what are we supposed to do? I refuse to go to a&e for example if i have a generic illness as this is a waste of time and resource for actual emergencies...

Reply Posted by W on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 20:37
I rang for appoinment other day said had to wait 2 weeks to see doctor it's ridiculous I work so only can come before work or after work says on notice board open till 6.30 pm you ask for late appoinments they don't exists so why advertise them
And when you do ring you have to give receptionist all you details to see if you qualify for doctor and that's embarrassing giving you details to them as well
Also when you have bloodtests done no one lets you no need to come back for more tests then you find out 3 months later you need to have done again
In meantime you appointment been cancelled 3 times and taking time of work for appoinments

Reply Posted by Joe on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 21:24
I want to say we need a walk in centre reopening. The 2 times I attended it was great. Yes you had to wait but you got to see a doctor the same day. My doctors are ok if you ring up first thing with an urgent request I've usually managed to get a same day appointment. The problem is often semi urgent and routine appointments have either long wait times or unsuitable times for a working person who works 15 miles away. I usually self diagnose and rely on pharmacy medications. No wonder A&E is full of non urgent cases!

Reply Posted by kevin on Wednesday August 28 2013 at 21:46
Joe, do you know why the walk-in centre was shut? it was too popular and cost too much! so much for healthcare in Barnsley!

Reply Posted by Diane dickinson on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 21:24
Roundhouse has got t b the worst drs around ,you ring 4an appointment n get told t ring the morning after,I started to ring at 8-30 finally got an answer at 9-10saying all appointments gone ,I was at the drs a mth ago with a cough I've had for over 3weeks was told by the nurse to go back in 4weeks to see her .can not get a appointment ,I'm disabled n carnt get to park grove ,.

Reply Posted by James on Friday December 2 2016 at 11:52
They dont even treat us disabled right anyway Diane in that surgery, made out to be faking it, its a awful surgery but i am like you have no choice.

Reply Posted by stace on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 22:03
Can never get an appointment...constantly engaged...when you do get to see someone they just rush you out the door...one once told my friend she had tonsillitis even though her tonsils had been previously removed, didnt even look in her mouth!! Needless to say she ended up in hospital two days later really ill as her airwaves swelled up....ppppffttttttt!!!! :/

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Wednesday August 14 2013 at 23:55
Can you read all your comments.
Theres no wonder your all sat in the doctors comparing ailments.
bet most of your ailments dont keep you in on a friday nights. i bet for one minute you dont believe the alcohol is to blame for your constant visits or the side effects of the pills you keep popping or the headaches you get from the hours you spend on the phone

Reply Posted by Phantom on Sunday August 18 2013 at 14:10
This is all down to how each individual GP is managed. My last GP was shocking could only get an appointment a couple of days after phoning. My new GP (Hillbrow surgery) is absolutely fantastic. Never been refused an appointment and can always get one the same day. You don't have to explain what's wrong to the receptionist and All the doctors I've seen so far are approachable and friendly. Leagues above other GP surgeries in the area.

Reply Posted by Phantom on Sunday August 18 2013 at 14:48
Mae brussel...if you don't use a GP why are you taking part in a debate about GP appointments? Do some research too, although garlic is a natural antibiotic you would need to eat about 4 raw cloves a day for it to be effective. Err, no thanks. You could opt for garlic pills, but why should people have to pay for them when they can get them free. Especially in this day and age. Also, call me daft, but I'd rather take the word of a professional over your precious google diagnosis (or whatever you use to "self diagnose"). So if your done spouting your pointless shit, kindly do one. Oh and before you ask, I don't "pop" pills and I rarely drink and my operation has kept me in, for the past 3 weeks in fact, not just on a Friday night but its ok doc, I don't need those antibiotics to prevent my wound from getting an infection ill just eat a load of garlic. ******* moron!!! **** off!!

Reply Posted by disgruntled on Sunday August 18 2013 at 20:22
has anybody noticed that this is not a new problem.or is it my imagination. all so called councilors are now making their mouth about different issues. running scared are they, afraid of losing their jobs.

Reply Posted by Brett* on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 14:32
Huddersfield Road Doctors is fine.
Although once in 2007 I had a stand in doctor who was bab.
I don't attend the surgery very often at all, not sure I have a set doctor or if people have left but I seem to have different ones whenever I have been, apart from that one time I have always found them pretty good and nothing overly complecated or antagonising about making an appointment.

Reply Posted by Brett* on Tuesday August 20 2013 at 14:33
complicated (sorry)

Reply Posted by Jimbob on Thursday August 29 2013 at 13:36
I'm at the goldthorpe medical Center & can never get an appointment for same day.. I think my kids have been to Rotherham walk in Center more than our own Drs!

Reply Posted by izzie on Thursday August 29 2013 at 13:45
Yes, absolutely hopeless (Park Grove). Can't book in advance, you must ring at 8.30 in the morning. You try at 8.30, it's engaged until 9 when they tell you there are no appointments left. You can't book today, you need to ring on Tuesday to attempt to get an appointment on Friday...or you could come and sit and wait all morning to see if there's a cancellation....and what if you actually WORK? Dreadful.

Reply Posted by missi on Sunday September 1 2013 at 20:21
Waiting times for bookable appointments are no less than a week for gp ( great houghton surgery ) and roughly 2 week wait for nurse .. like everyone else you have to ring at 8.30am for a same day appointment but youve no chance when thousands of other people are ringing too !! Mae what a load of rubbish you talk, you need to see a gp for any referral so it doesn't really matter if you go out 7 days a week ..

Reply Posted by Terri on Sunday September 1 2013 at 20:22
It's disgusting. I called my drs 2weeks ago to get an appointment after being ill for 4 days. Was told there wasn't any appointment left and I didn't warrant an emergency appointment, the dr wrote me a prescription after I pestered him for hrs, gave me one.....to cut a long story short, antibiotics didn't work, made me very ill, and I ended up in hospital on an iv drip for 3 days, 4 bags of fluids were put into me within 4 hrs. I called my drs up to complain and was told if I was that ill I should have come to the surgery.... I couldn't lift my head!!

Reply Posted by . on Sunday September 1 2013 at 20:49
I use Cudworth Health Centre and Dr Haban. He's been my Dr for over 18 years now and I have to say I wouldn't change. He has a fearsome reputation, but I really like the guy tbh. You go to the surgery, see him that day. You are in and out and no fuss. People may moan about him, but would they rather the experiences above?

Reply Posted by Mike Newton on Monday September 2 2013 at 13:20
I use The Dove Valley centre and it takes at least a week if online and 4 days by telephone. If you want an appointment with a specific Doctor it can two to three weeks depending on which doctor.

Reply Posted by kevin on Tuesday September 10 2013 at 21:12
so, the cronney tells us that we don't need a walk in centre. the leader says we have enough gp,s, I always thought enough was a subjective view. I don't know if I'm alone but I've never known that Barnsley had 'enough' gp,s. in this age of numbers and targets, is it a fair request to know how many gp,s Barnsley should have and how many we are short - or is that under the official secrets act? a simple solution, given that the patient record IT software system was a 12 billion failure; meaning that others than gp's were clueless about you or me; could be that these 'enough' gp's could schedule that a practice could dedicate a daily doctor - with full access to patient records to do a walk-in. it don't take a brain of Britain(Barnsley) to find a solution. any hope that the gp commissioning group have it in their purview?

Reply Posted by kevin on Thursday September 19 2013 at 20:55
Wow, that one must have hit a nerve! I cant believe there are no comment.

Reply Posted by Bobbi on Thursday October 3 2013 at 15:54
My Docs are ok usually 3/4 days for routine appointments but when my children or I need to see a Dos because we are ill we normally get seen the same day.
My partners Docs is strange. They seem to waste appointments. He was prescribed medication from the hospital and they were to last until his next appointment. However the appointment was canceled and his medication was about to run out. Hospital phoned docs and asked them the write a prescription to put him on until the appointment was rearranged. Partner arranged a pick up time then got a call later saying he could still have his prescription but he had to see the Doc He asked why as the Doc didn't know more about his condition then the consultant at the hospital does. He was told he needed to be checked out first. So he went to be "checked out" and all the doc did was sit him down until he wrote the prescription then sent him on his way. This happened again when the hospital changed his prescription. This time partner asked the Doc why he needed to be seen just to get a prescription. The Doc said he had not received the letter from the hospital telling him about the change. Yet again he didn't get "checked out" Doc just wrote the prescription and strangely he knew what his medication had been changed to. What a waste of NHS resources!