Police Set To Get New £5m Building

Wednesday August 7 2013

£5m investment in town's police station £5m investment in town's police station

THE custody suite at Barnsley police station is set to be replaced with a new £5million building.

Barnsley will get a modern, 20-cell building within the next two years on the same site as the old one as part of a wider scheme to replace "old and poorly maintained" custody facilities across South Yorkshire.

Ch Supt Rob Odell said: "We're keen to replace older facilities with the 20-cell suite, but keep it within the same area. The decision to progress the project was made several months ago and follows a two-year review of the force's custody suites."

Problems in the old buildings included cells covered in graffiti and poor standards of cleanliness. There were also ligature points identified in all the suites - a potential safety issue for some detainees.

Reply Posted by BarnsleyFred on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 13:04
Why not just make a deep pit and just throw them in it ?

Reply Posted by ?????????? on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 13:18
I TOTALY AGREE MATE,!!!!!!!!! CUD B SPENT ON A LOT BETTER THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Dave on Thursday August 8 2013 at 10:55
I see you're not too knowledgeable on the innocent until proven guilty bit of English law.

Reply Posted by Claire on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 13:24
Hmmm let's have an x box n feather pillows is this what 5 mill pays for go to B & Q tin of paint £9.99 !!!!!!

Reply Posted by Gail on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 13:33
And Barnsley Hospital gets?

Reply Posted by Jon on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 13:48
@Gail - Barnsley Hospital gets the refurbishment and investment of £775,000 on wards 31 and 32 and the SHDU. £300m government investment and major redevelopment of A&E.

Reply Posted by chloe on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 14:01
fair enough criminals should not have 5star as everyone been commenting but not everyone that gets arrested is guilty what happened to innocent until proven guilty, The custody suite is not prision its holding cells untill the facts have been proven and not everyone gets charged and some are realised as the facts are there not gulity of the crime.

Reply Posted by Claire on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 14:13
R u speaking from experience Chloe there's no smoke without fire n I have spent time in cells sorry if u had bad experience

Reply Posted by LV on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 14:24
I got into a bit of bother as a youngster and was stuck in one of the detention cells, all it had was an opaque window, a ledge with a mattress and the door - it's fair to say I've not been back, most boring time of my life! But I can't say it was down to the conditions that I haven't been back, I learnt from my mistake and knew that anything further could affect me as an adult - shame we can't say the same for everyone.

It's actually a shame that prisons aren't like the detention centres, less people would enjoy being there so much then!

Reply Posted by Craig on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 14:38
LV i doubt they are about to kit it out with memory foam matress's and widescreen tv's. if you read its says extend to 20cells. im sure the layout will stay the same which im guessing is as you described. its not the experience that stops people re-offending its the thought process of the serial offender.
you where obviously smart enough to know right from wrong in the end.

Reply Posted by chloe on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 14:48
Yes I have some silly bullys smashing my home and car up, whilst my 15month daughter was in house and my step son 10yrs old, been intimated for months and i got locked for 17hours for some allegations that wont true and ill tell you all it was worst experience of my life and would want to ever go back there but to protect my property and my family i would cos my kids are my life.

Reply Posted by Mary on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 20:44
How many times have I hears silly people say I am all me kids me when clearly you are not. Ify ou were you would be decent upstanding people with morals and show your kids how to carry on. Getting locked up teaches your kids nothing.
It has become a statement uttered by tons of lazy, benefit driven, unemployed, drunken prats with no educations. the very sort of people who cannot run their own lives and should not have kids.

Reply Posted by chloe on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 21:51
That's ur option to fink that way, but rather than a brick come throw window and hit my 15month old daughter like it did my disabled brother I would rather prevent it, I work and im studying childcare done 2 levels and now cos of some stupid bullys I probley wont get a job in childcare. u fink the way u want but u sound someone who nos about the incident?

Reply Posted by Dave on Saturday August 10 2013 at 19:06
If you're going to question the education of others, it's best that you do so in a manner that doesn't leave you open to being rebuked for piss poor spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Reply Posted by Swifty on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 14:56
Why build a new building there probably the largest Police Building in WOMBWELL stood empty and doing Nothing. It's purpose built well it was when they spent millions building it. what a waste.

Reply Posted by beep beep on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 20:46
You are wrong Wombwell only ever had about 6 cells and they have not been used for years. There is no room in that building.

Reply Posted by laura on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 16:38
why should it be replaced , its got about 20 cells init now which are discusting but if you do a crime you shouldn't have luxury's . a could think of better things to spend the money on !! and aas for all the graffiti , what do they thinks going to happen as soon as its re painted , !

Reply Posted by beep beep on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 20:47
Coz 20 are not enough at peak times. Every prisoner gets their own detention room and the place is not big enough. It should actually be moved from town centre and put on one of the unused industrial estates.

Reply Posted by kay on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 17:01
Think it would be better spent on officers than buildings. Just think how many police we could have or pay raisers for the current officers.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 17:39
£5,000,000 that works out at £250,000 per cell, who says crime doesn't pay.? I think someone is being robbed somewhere and I think it's the poor old tax payer again.!!

Reply Posted by beep beep on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 20:49
Conspiracy theories yet again eh kay? Really?

what about the people not just cops who work their? When did they last get anything? Why should they work in a crap hole when other people work in lovely buildings ie town hall and other council workers?

Reply Posted by Craig on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 19:14
its for a completly new build rainbow not just cells..

Reply Posted by Channy on Thursday August 8 2013 at 09:10
totally agree chloe why should you feel intimidated in you own home your ment to feel safe for u n kids why should low life bullies get away with it id be same as u too protect my kids

Reply Posted by Channy on Thursday August 8 2013 at 09:14
and also Mary its not always piss heads police provoc half of it presummin there
causeing havoc Wat about all other crime i bet if something like that happen in urn ome while your kids was there you do exact same its nothing to do with right way its been a parent and protecting urn loved ones

Reply Posted by Stu on Thursday August 8 2013 at 12:47
I bet most of you lot moaning on here are on benifits and don't pay the taxes that are paying for this...... So shhhh be quite it's nothing to do with you

Reply Posted by Craig on Thursday August 8 2013 at 13:08
Agreed Stu..

Reply Posted by Channy on Thursday August 8 2013 at 12:56
fyi yes i am but that's only because of non experience i was at college n fished 5 years worth just cos ppl r on benefits dosent mean were all same i look for work i help out Im not lazy so stop putting us all in same boat

Reply Posted by Craig on Friday August 9 2013 at 12:45
what where you doing that took 5years lol

Reply Posted by Stu on Friday August 9 2013 at 12:49
I didn't call anyone lazy or put in anyone on any boat channy im just saying if you're not paying into the system that you are happy to take money from you have no right saying what the money that me and other people pay gets spent on. If it bothers you that much gather up the thousands of you in barnsley that are on benefits agree to put half of your benifit money for 2 or 3 weeks in the barnsley council pot and they will probably have more than 5 million to spend on the other things you think it should be spent on

Reply Posted by lol on Friday August 9 2013 at 16:12
BART TIME WILL IT HAVE SKY SPORTS

Reply Posted by ET on Sunday August 11 2013 at 09:56
We really do need this you see the crime figures have gone down so much recently. Are they having a laugh do they really think we are stupid and that we believe everything they say . Who is putting the money up?who is getting the contract? and who are getting their hands greased?

Reply Posted by flapper on Friday August 16 2013 at 19:00
RICHARD NORMAN STEAD WILL BE PAYING,WHEN SOUTH YORKSHIRE POLICE TAKES HIM BACK TO COURT FOR PROCEEDS OF CRIME.