Barnsley Teacher Awaits News

Monday August 5 2013

Barnsley Magistrates' Court Barnsley Magistrates' Court

A BARNSLEY teacher who had a momentary loss of temper is waiting to find out if he can keep his job after pushing a child into a hedge.

Dean Macfarlane, 55, of Lamb Croft, Carlton, admitted assaulting the 12-year-old boy at Barnsley Magistrates’ Court and was sentenced to 100 hours of unpaid community work.

A teacher for 34 years, Mr Macfarlane confronted two boys who had pelted his house with snowballs and hurled them at his face.

Macfarlane, who works as an IT teacher at a Doncaster school, said he pushed one of the boys into a hedge after enduring more than 18 months of anti-social behaviour.

Barnsley Magistrates' Court heard that the respected teacher had repeatedly complained about the behaviour, but nothing had been done.

The National College for Teaching and Leadership will decide whether he will be allowed to keep his job.

Reply Posted by BarnsleyFred on Monday August 5 2013 at 10:04
It is some discipline that schools are lacking. This would NOT have happened in my day because we knew the meaning of respect for our elders!

Reply Posted by karen on Monday August 5 2013 at 10:45
The schools are not to blame... If your child is sick and covered in sick, no one can touch the child or clean it up. The parent has to be call to do it...
The Blame sits fairly with the government, their rules and law's, also the parents, who really don't know how to be a parent or don't care..
No smacking has created No Respect...

Reply Posted by craig on Monday August 5 2013 at 17:15
dont tar all kids with the same brush. its more how we live than who's to blame, its soceity in general. the way kids behave today is because we dont engage with them properly the kids that grow in goldthorpe, thurnscoe athersley worsbrough/common and kendray should be the ones your talking about as they seem to be the worst places of barnlsey. parents are not innocent but if the child doesnt want to conform and its rebelious what can you do? answers on a postcard.

Reply Posted by Bluebottle on Thursday August 8 2013 at 20:58
From personal experience ( work) I can tell you that your assumption of kids from those areas being the worst is utter tripe.
As a general rule kids from very poor backgrounds are often badly brought up but some of the nastiest and biggest bullies were from wealthy spoilt households wit good incomes.
It boils down to parenting skills and discipline not how much money is in your house.

Reply Posted by Kathy on Monday August 5 2013 at 10:05
The little sod deserved more than pushing into the hedge!!!!! Disgusting that after 18hrs no one stopped the little rat. Keep your job another grave miscarriage of justice!

Reply Posted by Kathy on Monday August 5 2013 at 10:07
Typo- I meant 18months :-)

Reply Posted by Nicki on Monday August 5 2013 at 10:09
As a former student of Mr Macfarlane I can honestly say that the education system would lose a sterling teacher and I know there are plenty of people that will back me up on this

Reply Posted by kate on Monday August 5 2013 at 10:22
Agree with nicki

Reply Posted by Karen on Monday August 5 2013 at 10:40
I don't blame him at all... I'm just surprised that there are still so many teachers working.. Brat's ... This county, has gone to the dogs or the selfish " you can't touch me " brat's .. I'm glad I won't be around in 20 yrs cos these brats will have grown up and god help you all !!!!

Reply Posted by rye on Monday August 5 2013 at 11:09
1 mans lifetime job down a drain just coz of a little shit I say bring back the cain lets see how many behave then

Reply Posted by Craig on Monday August 5 2013 at 17:11
forget the cain, bring on the leather whip!

Reply Posted by Collet on Monday August 5 2013 at 11:16
Usual story,its been going on for ages now,unruly kids who strut around and. Act un socially knowing they are untouchable,people complain and complain nothing ever gets done,then the first some decides they have had enough and confronts the cowerdley little Rats,the parents and police are there like a flash,easy pickings!!.If that teacher looses his job then all teachers should down tools until he is reinstated.?

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday August 5 2013 at 14:29
little bugger, i would have taken him round the back of the p.e block and given him a good rogering, that would have sorted him out.

Reply Posted by Funny on Tuesday August 6 2013 at 09:08
That made me lol big time

Reply Posted by maud on Monday August 5 2013 at 15:53
most kids of today have very little respect for thr parents let alone anyone else they may be hounding all you get is I will fone child line in all fairness I never got into trouble at school but I did at home I had many back handers for chelping at my mam n dad it did me no harm it got to the point when the look was enough and it learned me to respect others a crack now and again is different to being abused I have grand children and it really winds me up the way they talk to thr parents my kids used to do jobs n run to the shop for our older neighbours never had any reports from any adults about my kids manners towards them but like myself they have had thr share of back handers for thr attitudes and antics at home it dint hurt them either they respect thr elders

Reply Posted by maud on Monday August 5 2013 at 15:56
good look to mr macfarlane I really hope you get to keep your job

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday August 5 2013 at 17:09
you need to learn how to spell, can you string a proper sentance together?
why did you not use punctuation in the post before?

Reply Posted by maud on Tuesday August 6 2013 at 11:07
fone thr ya numpty dunt think mi punctuation is the issue cud ya read wat a sed did tha understand wat a sed am not illiterate if that wat tha trina se

Reply Posted by AP on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 07:14
And you need to learn how to spell sentence my friend. Start your opening sentence with an upper case letter and start your second sentence with an upper case letter.
Mr.Mac` would have taught this !

Reply Posted by maud on Monday August 5 2013 at 15:58
sorry good luck (not look)

Reply Posted by Michelle on Tuesday August 6 2013 at 01:40
Craig....dont judge!!! My children have manners and dont run wild ...also ive lived in kendray all my life and ive got no criminal record and proud.all down t parenting me thinks not the area just some people,we are not all the same...FACT.

Reply Posted by Kato on Tuesday August 6 2013 at 07:38
Worked with the man at Holgate in Barnsley ...l agree would be a sad loss
to the teaching profession. Good luck for today !!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Fay on Tuesday August 6 2013 at 08:05
Sounds like the kid needed pushing in the bloody bush!

Also, sounds like the kids parents were probably after some compensation money.

Sad.

Reply Posted by michelle on Tuesday August 6 2013 at 09:12
It's down to parenting and government (parenting) they send there kids out on streets and some don't give a shit what they are up to .....(Government) for closing down youth centers kids don't have anything to do so they are all hanging around the streets and it's only going to get worse .. cuts in policing lack of cash to do things with the kids price rising it's time our government stopped spending millions and millions in other countries and concentrating on our own ..................

Reply Posted by Clio on Tuesday August 6 2013 at 19:44
I'm not saying this man isn't a good teacher or this kid didn't push him into reacting but at what point does it become acceptable for an adult to hurt a child? As a teacher this man should know better and surely he knew the consequence of his actions. If he does keep his job how long before a child pushes him too far again? The kids he teaches will know what he has done and will purposely push him for a reaction!

Reply Posted by Nicki on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 13:39
Clio, i understand what you're saying, but to be fair, I don't believe that anyone Mr. Macfarlane has taught in the past or will (hopefully) teach in the future would be able to do anything to push him so far that he would react that way. In the 5 years I had him as a teacher, I saw many a student attempt to push every button he had and he never did anything beyond raise his voice on occasion.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 16:37
Of course he'll lose his job!
The politically correct, namby pamby idiots that run this country will see to that!

Best of luck Dean.

Reply Posted by Clio on Wednesday August 7 2013 at 19:38
Nicki, the thing is he's already let a child push him too far! I live not far from the school and at times i'd like to get hold of one or two of them but i know its wrong and as a teacher he knew it was wrong.

I feel for him, a teacher with such a good track record and obviously respected by a lot of people including past pupils but what he did was wrong!

Reply Posted by AP on Thursday August 8 2013 at 08:40
If this blokes any sense he will take his pension which he has earned over the past thirty odd years and walk away to a well earned early retirement. Let the do-gooders wallow in their own mire which they seem hell bent on creating.
Parents seem to view their kids through "rose tinted spectacles" and think their little darlings would never do anything wrong anti-socially - how wrong they are !
It will be a big lose to an already failing education system to lose any teacher with so much experience.

Reply Posted by Sally on Thursday August 8 2013 at 22:11
He didn't do it to 1 of his pupils just a little idiot that has no respect good luck dean x

Reply Posted by Mick Clay on Thursday August 8 2013 at 22:19
I wasnt in his class but he ran our youth club and was a great role model to loads of kids. The little scrote must've really wound him up. Deans one of the good guys dont let him slip out of the education system.

Reply Posted by Cm on Thursday August 8 2013 at 22:24
If this teacher loses his job all it will do is set an example to other pupils...the teacher you don't like cos he pushes you to do ya best, harass him to breaking point n get him sack! Pupils will jump on the bandwagon and do the same just to be "the kid that got his teacher sacked" kids get away with too much these days and in years to come I hope they regret it!

Reply Posted by blue on Thursday August 8 2013 at 23:18
Mr macfarlane use tobe my teacher at holgate and what a great teacher he was. These stupid Boys!!!! Should have been delt with b4 it got to the point it did. Know a fantadtic teacher is getting punished for 18month of abuse off these kids. The parents should have took control of these kids.... Team mr macfarlane all the way.....

Reply Posted by Joy Fletcher on Friday August 9 2013 at 00:33
If that was my child I would be taking him to Mr McFarlane to apologise for what he had done

Reply Posted by Collet on Friday August 9 2013 at 00:49
Time to tek gloves off wi these little baskets ent parents ent police who niver look into people who get harassed to near in sanity,then poor buggers do summat abart it thesens,en then ivery bugger turns up in minutes.What a chuffing society we have created.?

Reply Posted by lol on Friday August 9 2013 at 07:29
ROCKY AH AH AH AH AH AH

Reply Posted by observer on Friday August 9 2013 at 07:41
I read with interest all the comments. well done stevo on what you say. I agree.joy fletcher, I also agree with what you say. my parents would have frog marched me to the teacher too. to apologise. in fact I agree with most of what everyone has put on here. its great dean has the support of everyone. when I was young, and I told my dad, a teacher had hit me, he asked me."and what have you done". teachers didn't give you a smack for no reason. you knew exactly what you got it for. and if you were caught you knew when and where it was coming from. I have reason to believe this teacher has done something similar to this before?. which is why I think he will be disciplined in a major way.(sacked). which is a shame. the slipper, the cane..it didn't really hurt anyone at school did it?. but it learned pupils respect.

Reply Posted by Claire on Friday August 9 2013 at 12:05
Total injustice that Mr Mcfarlane may lose his job and has to do community service. . . . . This country is a disgrace when it comes to things like this! Government needs to get a grip! Quickly!!!

Reply Posted by pat on Friday August 9 2013 at 12:37
I definitely blame the parents, these days the parents are so depressed or drugged up they don't care what their kids are doing "not all parents" , there are some wonderful parents doing a fantastic job who have fantastic kids... but how much money you have has nothing to do with it... I know ppl who have been to jail for things that would make you cringe and their parents were rich and lived in posh areas, I also know kids who's parents had nothing yet brought up perfectly normal, polite, hard working kids up... so don't judge kids by the areas they live in, its how the kids are taught to respect ppl. RESPECT RESPECT REPECT is where is should start... Hope the teacher keeps his job.

Reply Posted by lol on Friday August 9 2013 at 16:07
ill still get his pension.

Reply Posted by P on Sunday August 11 2013 at 15:33
Kid deserves a belt round his arse. R u listening parents

Reply Posted by Flapper on Tuesday August 13 2013 at 08:24
smack in gob wi a knuckle duster

Reply Posted by flapper on Saturday August 17 2013 at 08:39
NEWSFLASH NEWSFLASH NEWSFLASH HES GOT FARTHER CHRISTMAS JOB [the sack] COMING TO A STORE NEAR YOU