Respected Teacher Appears In Court After Losing His Cool

Friday July 19 2013

Barnsley Magistrates' Court Barnsley Magistrates' Court

A RESPECTED and hard-working teacher momentarily lost his temper after being pelted by snowballs, Barnsley Magistrates' Court was told.

Dean Macfarlane, 54, a teacher for 34 years, threw a 12-year-old into a hedge, said Jack Danaher, defending.

He said Macfarlane, of Lamb Croft, Carlton, had suffered damage to his home, thefts and anti-social behaviour for 18 months.

Mr Danaher added that Macfarlane had repeatedly complained but nothing had been done.

Mr Danaher said: "Mr Macfarlane was pelted with snowballs and abused twice. He approached one of the young people who spat on the floor.

"Mr Macfarlane momentarily lost his control and it has had devastating consequences. He will lose his job. His colleagues at school want him to carry on but this will not happen.

"He has been a dedicated and hard-working teacher for 34 years. He is thinking of moving house because of this."

Claire Jackson, prosecuting, said the 12-year-old victim was shaken but not seriously injured after being thrown into the hedge.

She said: "Mr Macfarlane came home and found his house had been pelted with snowballs. He was pelted with snowballs and was hit in the face and body.

"Later, he spotted two youths and told them to stay away. One of them, the victim, spat on the floor."

Macfarlane admitted assault. He was ordered to do 100 hours of unpaid work, to pay £50 in compensation, costs of £85 and a £60 victim surcharge.

Reply Posted by Andy on Sunday July 21 2013 at 07:57
The victim here is the 12 year old boy who was head butted twice in the face by this so called respected teacher!!, The victim lives Royston and was dropped off in Carlton 10 minutes before the attack, walking towards muck stack with a friend when a car pulled across the pavement the coward driver grabbed the 12 year old by the neck and head butted him in the face twice and threw him into a thorn bush-if a resident had not protested from an upstairs window he would have gone on to assault the other 12 year old, the bully was determined the wreak revenge and chose 2 innocent victims-this lunatic is still at large!! he should have lost his liberty not just his job.

Reply Posted by spandangled on Monday July 22 2013 at 12:41
I am not having that at all Andy I have known tnis man since I was 11 years old and he would not do that unless provocked im guessing the 12 year old boy is a little shite and deserved what ever dean did to him I do know that there is no way he would head butt a young en no matter what so dunt know where ya getting ya facts from but get a grip and I can guarantee there will be plenty of folk on here that comment and back me up on this!!

Reply Posted by Ex Pupil on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:49
I agree!! These poor 'innocent' 12 year olds! Mmmmmmm! I really cant imagine Dean just deciding to head butt a 12 year old who was doing nothing! Seriously Andy, you heard yourself here! He was 1 of the best teachers at Holgate, got on well with everyone, I also know him on a personal level and I'm sure if he was jujst going to hit 12 year olds, he would have hit a fair few little shites at school!

Reply Posted by anon on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:09
Andy, if he had headbutted that kid it would have been stated in this article, not just that he was thrown into a hedge. To be targeted by vile youths is disgusting, no wonder he lost his temper. If he should lose his liberty, surely the vile people targeting him should too? He is also the victim.

Reply Posted by donna on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:13
Actually I am with spandangled don't even know the people involved but maybe if kids had a bit of respect these days this wouldn't happen. Cos we never had this in days gone by when even your neighbors would give u a clip it you were naughty. About time parenting class became essential and made part of maternity Appointments as the asbo kids were creating today are getting worse and much more of them.

Reply Posted by fd on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:13
The teatcher should have done more than throw him in the hedge . Got no respect for any one!!

Reply Posted by Dawn on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:18
I totally agree with you guys how Dean did not snap before now only goes to show his high level of tollerance,To be a teacher at high school level these days is an Underpaid job considering how many disrespectful little S***s are out there now. If the boot had of been on the other foot this Child would have had probably no more than a detention.I appreciate he was only 12 years old but id like to bet he is a lot more streetwise than a normal 12 yr old

Reply Posted by Paula on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:19
Young kids today have NO respect !!! and no doubt he would have provoked the poor guy.......a person can take only so much and i believe that we are all capable of it if pushed to the limit , these stupid kids who clearly have no respect are taken aback when someone stands up to them cos they believe they are untouchable. Poor guy been pushed over the edge and will lose everything over some scratty kids!!! I'm sure this educated guy wouldn't randomly choose 2 kids lmao!!! he would have recognised them, Who is going to forget the faces of kids who make your life a living hell!! good on him! shame he has to lose everything over SCUM !

Reply Posted by AJ on Thursday July 25 2013 at 22:31
Im a young person and would like to think I have my head screwed on. Ive grown up in Barnsley myself and have never done anything like this. It is a shame that when you guys comment on here that you clearly state that every young person has no respect, as this is obviously untrue and can really damage the confidence of the few kids that have. Growing up here allready sets the whole world against us with no prospect of decent employment in this area and no help to get away. Instead of blaming the kids, why not look at the people that chose to have the kids and then did not bring them up right. They are the messed up generation.

Reply Posted by AJ on Thursday July 25 2013 at 22:32
Just like to add that I have nothing against the teacher and I do not think he was in the wrong.

Reply Posted by Nat on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:22
Dean is an excellent teacher and as mentioned above if the victim was head butted it would have stated so in the story!! At the end of the day dean is only human and like many people you can only take so much!! I think 18 months is way to long to suffer the torment the youths have posed on him!!

Reply Posted by spandangled on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:29
it is great to see the level of support Dean has I only hope he sees this and it goes some way to helping him with the awful time he must be going through at the minute as I said earlier I have known Dean since I was 11 and was taught by him and he was my form tutor for 5 years and I know first hand he is not the type of man that woul djust snap, I was a handful myself when I was younger and know I pushed him at times but he never dealt with me in any other way than being fair and kind and never with any anger or malice this youth must have pushed him to the upmost limits granted this youth nay have been the unlucky one that he snapped with and im guessing that this behaviour towards dean and his home and property has probs gone on for a while but this would not have been an unprovocked incident.

Reply Posted by spandangled on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:31
Also I would like to add I hope the parents of this youth are very pleased with themselves taking away a decents mans life time career all because their child is a little shite! I know I have kids myself and if this had happened I would be sure there was a reason behind it and thought before ruining a mans life!

Reply Posted by Me on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:34
Respect went when folk lost the right to chastise there kids. Teachers couldnt do anything n kids got foul mouthed n cheeky. N used it against folk even when nobodys done ought to em...

Reply Posted by lesley on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:44
Respect did not go when folk lost the right to chastise their children. Parents can still chastise their children, but unfortunately these days, a lot of them choose not to bother. Respect starts in the home, not in the classroom. When I was at school, if I got in to trouble at school, then I was in even bigger trouble when I got home. Teachers don't need to right to chastise ... what they need is for parents to bloody do something about it when the little shits misbehave ! I remember at case a while ago, where parents were called to school because their son was a bully. The child's father physically and verbally abused the headmaster ! I feel really sorry for this teacher .......hope the parents of the kids are really proud of themselves !

Reply Posted by pam on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:48
ive known dean most of my life im 50yrs old and he must have been at breaking point to have done this and as for head butting the youngster no way would he have done this he also used to run the local youth club hes always been a well respected man and its a pity he didn't give them a good hiding cause that's what there short of

Reply Posted by Me on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:52
Should have punched him straight through hedge....

Reply Posted by Ex Pupil on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:52
Also....i'm sure if he would have head butted him twice it would have been reported as thats more serious than throwing someone into a bush! The little shites parents will be wanting compo!!

Reply Posted by Bob on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:54
Dean did not lose his job. A group was set up on Facebook to support him, and he wrote a short statement on it the other day thanking everyone for their support and informing them of the outcome.

Reply Posted by Nicki on Monday July 22 2013 at 14:06
Spandangled, I'm with you - I also have known Dean since I was 11 years old (am now 34!) and I know for a fact he would not have done what he did without major provocation. Having been the victim of similar problems with kids in the past I can entirely understand Dean losing his temper and I stand by and support him fully. I'm more ashamed of the system that has led to this in the first place!

Reply Posted by Dean on Monday July 22 2013 at 14:11
Taught me at school he was a great teacher and well liked by all and there's no way he would've head butted a twelve year old. The year I was in at Holgate was full of idiots and was on record as one of the most disruptive the school had to deal and at no point did he ever show any aggression.

Reply Posted by rebecca on Monday July 22 2013 at 14:13
If i was him id have done more than throw the little scrote in a hedge! No respect, but thats the parents fault! Too many parents dont care about their little asbo shit kids!

Reply Posted by Another ex pupil!! on Monday July 22 2013 at 14:19
As if mr mac would EVER headbutt a child!! I'd check ur facts first Andy because clearly u don't know anything and are spouting complete rubbish!!! Check out his support page on here and read about what a fantastic man/teacher he really is!!! So glad he asnt lost his job over this he really was the best teacher at holgate, FACT!! If I'd ave dun wot these kids ad to somebody I wouldn't ave dared tell my mum if I'd ave been thrown into a bush because I'd ave known I'd ave got a good hiding of her then marched up to apologise!! Why as the child not been charged with assault and criminal damage?

Reply Posted by flapper on Monday July 22 2013 at 14:20
Some kids are little swines,but when some parents (herbalist) admits to smoking weed throughout her labour,its just going to get worse. Its then left to the other responsible people around to deal with nasty crap like this. I feel so sorry for this taecher,soon we,ll have no one that wants to be in the profesion,same with the police and nurses...what do the grubby gets want? Anarchy? But when things dont go thier way...hear them squeal.

Reply Posted by tracy on Monday July 22 2013 at 14:54
If this guy had head butted this youth..I'm sure his face would have been a mess don't you think Andy...he never went to hospital or seeked medical advice..and the youths were picking on two elderly people but I bet to you Andy that's ok ..the 12 year old and his friends need to learn respect android do their parent for letting it get to this

Reply Posted by nick on Monday July 22 2013 at 15:08
Mr MacFarlane was my teacher for several years . And wile being a good teacher and an all-around fun guy he has always had a bit of a rage issue. Kids I went to school with put it down to him being on steroids that he kept in his desk draw (not that I ever saw them) .but rumours were all over school and shows the kind off kids he put up with day in day out. Not to wish him any hate but a 35 year teaching vet who has martial arts training to put this down to a momentary laps is cheap and wrong. If he had issues with the child his years of teaching should have provided him the experience to deal with it in a reasonable manner. And if he has had any decent martial arts training given him the control to walk away. Having failed that go talk to the parents to have the issue squashed. buy all means if the parents are just as bad as the kids kick there ass. The issue is with the way a professional handled the situation what if this was in class and the momentary out brake (say a thrown chair) caused injury. He new what he did was wrong and should be dealt with accordingly (how the judge finds fit). after all if he can't follow rules why should the kids. And as for the kid I hope he has learnt a valuable lesson not everyone will stand for crap.

Reply Posted by C on Monday July 22 2013 at 15:26
I would have done more to the disrespectful little shite a person can only be pushed so far.

Reply Posted by Askey on Monday July 22 2013 at 15:33
Mr M was also my teacher for many years. The steroid comment is below the belt and should be removed. He was an enthusiastic, fun Teacher who gave all his pupils all of his time, consideration, effort and always conducted himself in a professional manner. He taught at two of Barnsley's worst schools over the years that would now be within special measures. Believe me, I went to the Oaks in the 80's. I teach but within a College Environment where you would hope that by this age the Students would have gained some life/social skills..not always the case I'm afraid. It shows some strong will to be repeatedly abused and to not be able to retaliate. It's through people like Dean that I took up my vocation as a Teacher. I for one still admire him and will not have a bad word said against him.

Reply Posted by mark on Monday July 22 2013 at 15:49
teacher wants a medal i can imagine wat that 12 yr old little sod was saying and how behaving, and now parents decided to prosecute cos ther little angel got his cummupence, wat a world eh. disgusting the way the teacher been treated and if the parents hadnt dragged up ther kid perhaps this coulda been avoided

Reply Posted by pez on Monday July 22 2013 at 15:56
My husband and I have also been tormented by children over the years, its terrible and very frustrating and you carnt do a thing about it, its shocking. Even half of the parents don't care how their children torment people.
This man has studied and worked hard for years to get this career - no I don't know him, I am also a teacher and its hard work! So im sure he could take no more!!!
Its the little 'rat' and its parents that should be punished, not him!!!
I'm not imposing that every child has behavioural issues because there are some good kids out there but its wrong this teacher should lose his career.

Reply Posted by Lisa on Monday July 22 2013 at 16:47
After reading all these comments supporting this mans actions I am disgusted and upset. I work in school myself and am fully aware at how challenging some children can be. That this man thought that he could get away with putting his hands on a child let alone head butting him and throwing him into a bush is beyond me, and I know the details of this assault because the chid that everyone is vilifying is my son. Some may say he was in the wrong place at the wrong time this man did not just snap he gave chase in his car and grabbed my son who had done nothing wrong he had not been snowballing anyone's house as he had only just arrived in Carlton to meet up with friends. I would like to thank the neighbour who witnessed his attack and got verbal abuse for his trouble from the 'respected teacher' and witnessed the head butt and rang the police and later gave evidence. I am glad this is now over and my conscience is clear that we did the right thing by reporting this man for what he did.

Reply Posted by A.Parton on Monday July 22 2013 at 17:08
The steroid comment is based purely on rumour and should be removed.
Dean was persecuted for months and months and this incident was a culmination of many things. Daily verbal abuse, damage to his house and property and a variety of anti social behaviour for far too long. The police were called on numerous occasions and CCTV footage was ignored,neighbours witnessed what Dean had to endure on many occasions all to no avail.
In hindsight Dean will probably think he could have handled it better, but for me he was right on the money and should have beat the living daylight out of the little sh**s and their parents too.
There are far too many do-gooders just like Andy the jerk off who posted the first comment. God help us when his kids arrive.

Reply Posted by Friend on Monday July 22 2013 at 23:55
So he beat the crap out this 12 year old???? what injuries were sustained please can we see the medical records. Please tell me or better still post the medical records because i have known Dean for many years and he certainly isnt a bully but he will stand up for whats right. He gives up hours of his free time to coach kids at football and is great with them......i saw the damage to his car bonnet and his garden and when i visited him in the winter i was snow balled from the lane as was my car........you should meet him and talk before you call him coward and bully....is not throwing stones, kicking old peoples front doors and then running away shouting abuse also cowardly and bully like? neither parties are totally innocent but which party paid the price of their actions....only one !

Reply Posted by Andy on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 07:14
Friend-he did not require hospital treatment, he was wearing a wool hat due to weather, this protected him fro serious injury. he did have 2 marks that receeded before police arrived. Two witnesses saw your friend inflict this violence and gave evidence. Imagine walking down the street and then this happens, imagine been 12 and wondering why a "grown up" did this to you, read between the lines. If this had gone to Crown Court and a jury of peers had listened to the evidence your friend would have received a custodial sentence, people do for less!! especially for attacks on children. They would not listen to all the crap he used for defence, only the facts

Reply Posted by Andy on Monday July 22 2013 at 17:18
Many of you are assuming the 12 year old child is an asbo type kid and clearly believe he is guilty of something and deserved what he got.
He is a good student with a circle of good friends and comes from a good home with equally hard working parents.
Macfarlane is a martial arts expert and a trained teacher-he acted out of character on the day he head butted a "12 year old child" after being provoked repeatedly for 18 months-he is the father to a 6 year old himself and I am sure what he and some of you have made socially acceptable he hopes does not happen to his child?
As for getting my facts straight I can assure you I have, It was me that dropped the victim off in Carlton as I am his Father and had spent the morning preparing his sledge so he could go and have fun on the big hill, what I did not expect to happen was that he would get assaulted 10 minutes after been dropped off.
I was in court as I wanted to see the coward face to face who head butted my son in the face twice-in court the Clerk asked "did an head butt take place" both the defendant and his solicitor replied NO. This would have been an ideal time for the CPS to ask that the evidence of 2 independent witnesses and that of my son be viewed-she did not and he was allowed to plead guilty to a lesser charge. He referred in court to the fair-haired one-amazing really as he had a thick wool hat on that thankfully prevented him getting further damage, he did not get time to react as I said earlier the COWARD jumped out grabbed him and head butted him-then speeding off after been interrupted. His job was a perfect front as for years he will have been hiding behind that persona while bullying and intimidating kids which is a common trait-his attack was in line with a "roids attack" short outburst of uncontrollable violence and my son was the innocent victim of that rage-in my book this was a premeditated attack-he was hell bent on getting someone, unfortunately it was my son and his friend who did not know he had to run off!!
I would happily sit with him and talk this through and see if he can change my opinion of him, my son actually saw him in Carlton park the other day-he did not recognise the child he assaulted!!
My son feels let down by the system but I have to say the Police officers who took statements and video evidence were 1st class.
One thing this creep ought to remember is that he has set the bar for acceptable standards-in time to come my son will be a strapping lad and this scum will be a 60 year old something. Hopefully he will continue been well adjusted and not seek revenge-would you?

Reply Posted by Friend. on Monday July 22 2013 at 17:52
I have also known dean for many years. Dean has dedicated his life to helping youngster and steering them in the right direction. Totally out of character for dean. It's quite evident with the amount of kind words said on here what a good and well respected man he his!!

Reply Posted by x on Monday July 22 2013 at 18:07
oh my god andy get real we all like to think our kids are little angels but you know what we were kids once and we lied to our parents did things we wern't supposed to then denied it,iv'e got kids and grandkids who i would like to think have been brought up correctly and behave when they are out but im also not stupid and know what i saw with my now grown up kids and will see with my grandkids is almost definitely different to how they actually are when their out.and implying that that it would be ok for a strapping young man to seek revenge on a 60yr old man doesn't exactly fit in with your statment of him being brought up by a decent family does it.the problem with kids today is that their parents either dont give a damn or they think their kids are perfect and its always someone else to blamewell i dont care how good you think your little angel is unless your with them 24hrs a day you dont relly know what your kids are up to

Reply Posted by Andy on Monday July 22 2013 at 18:44
X- I have never said my child is an angel, I hope he has fun and grows up well.
What he could do without is getting assaulted while out playing-if you read the posts and establish a few facts before replying. Then put yourself in my position as his dad. He will be a strapping lad at age 18 and above, unfortunately the scum will be in his 60's or older-I agree it would look bad if he wreaked revenge but would you or your siblings forget the bloke who head butted him age 12? all I suggested is what would it look like? I would support him whatever he did, I would engage a solicitor for him and plead the "victim" simply stating he attacked a former teacher who assaulted him as a child-that is should he choose that path. At the moment he is oblivious to all that is going off and as he is a good mannered child I hope he can put this sorry state of affairs behind him!!

Reply Posted by Another ex pupil on Monday July 22 2013 at 18:38
The fact remains mr mac was only charged with throwing ur son into a bush! And thank heavens as still retained his job! Justice as prevailed!

Reply Posted by andrea on Monday July 22 2013 at 18:48
After reading all the comments above. People are quick to jump to conclusions. However. I know this family very well. This man has got what he deserves. I don't care if hes been teaching 35 year's. He should have known better. How would you all feel if had been your son? ?,?
He comes from a good family with real values! All kid's have their moment's but in this case I can vouch that he isn't an asbo child! !

Reply Posted by Claire on Monday July 22 2013 at 19:03
Ppl are very quick to accuse young boys and automatically think the grown up is right!!!!!! This man deserved everything he got and a whole lot more!!! I know this family very well and the young man in question is one of the best!!!! As a teacher that man should have known better and I do NOT feel sorry for him at all!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by emma on Monday July 22 2013 at 19:23
I have read all the comments... A lot of you sticking up for the teacher, if he has had good character for years makes no difference. The fact of the matter Is that the teacher should not have hurt a 12 year old boy whatever he claims he had done. This is an assault on a minor. As for some of you blaming the parents of this kid. I have known his mother and father for 9 years as our children went through nursery right up to leaving school together. I'm still in touch with the mother of this so called yob anti social stereotype on a daily basis. His parents are good and well respected pillars within the community'. A lot of you commenting seem quick to blame his parents. As for the boy he has a good name amongst friends not noted as a trouble causer. No need for violence

Reply Posted by Carole on Monday July 22 2013 at 19:30
I too know the family really well. They are a kind respectful family and their son is a very polite well brought up boy NOT A THUG! He also has great rspect for his elders and speaks politely. This THUG teacher should not be teaching. Andy your obviously wasting your time on these people who haven't got a clue and obviously can only use stereo-typical sayings or maybe they havent got kids of their own or wish theirs had manners and respected their elders like your son does. They know nothing about your family maybe if they did they would shut up with their pathetic bitter and twisted comments.... by the way their mother is one of the most compassionate caring women and know.

Reply Posted by neighbour on Monday July 22 2013 at 19:40
So a "responsible parent" drops his TWELVE YEAR OLD off in the next village on a dark winters evening to "just coincidentally find his way up a particular road, into a particular cul de sac and regularly torment a particular house. This sweet and innocent was positively identified as one of the main perpetrators by one or two neighbours on more than one occasion but this is not what the perfect parents with perfect kids want to hear, believe it or not folks but this lad is no little innocent he would have you think, he IS trouble in the making.
The parents must take more responsibility and not be happy to drop off siblings in the next village then sod off and watch coronation street, even more so one being a school teacher. AT TWELVE YEARS OLD YOU NEED TO KNOW WHERE YOUR KIDS ARE AND WHAT THEY ARE UP TO , not just believe what the little darlings tell you

Reply Posted by Lisa on Monday July 22 2013 at 20:08
Thank you so much for your lovely comments on our parenting skills! you do not know one thing about my son or my family or the assault that happened. He has never been identified positively for any wrong doing and the police who investigated this incident told us on many occasions how disgusted they were with what had happened and commended my son on how he dealt with the situation. I am under no illusions that my child is an angel what I do know is that he knows right from wrong and is truthful. It saddens me to think that my children are growing up in a society with adults that have your bigoted views.

Reply Posted by Andy on Monday July 22 2013 at 20:40
I dropped my son off mid afternoon, sunny outset-I did not expect that 10 minutes later he would be assaulted by your friendly well respected pillar of the community neighbour. I am or consider myself a responsible parent, unlike you I have had to keep an open mind over the 7 month period. I firstly responded to a foul comment from "Jade" yesterday morning. Glad people are now getting a balanced view-you would not know my son if you passed him in the street or be able to identify him as one of the "youths" throwing snowballs-I would call on your sense of responsibility and community spirit to think that assault is the correct action to take? I take offence at your thought pattern. If my son was the person you describe would he not have continued with the bad behaviour-he goes up to Carlton once a flood and yes you bigoted looney tune I did drop him off-only sorry I did not hang around. I did call at your neighbours house with my son on the evening of the assault-had he been man enough to open the door this issue would have been resolved without the need for the Police or any of the actions to date-sure the lovely Mr mac would have conceded it was not my son-I would have conducted myself in a professional manner-I know where my kids are all the time (usually with us) I have had to work hard to build my son's confidence back up since his attack-your vile comments do not help

Reply Posted by sheila on Monday July 22 2013 at 19:51
I find the majority of the comments on this thread appalling! How can anyone defend somebody that attacked a child?!?! This is beyond me. To say this young boy deserved it because of the lack of respect from the youth of today is a pathetic cop out. So if some teens had been aggravating somebody and your child was in the wrong place at the wrong time and became a victim of an attack would you just say 'ah well its ok because youths of today are wayward, so they deserve it' The reply would be NO! So if he had taken the attack further had 'the do-gooder' not witnessed it would you all still defend him? I think this thread says a lot more about the 30 something generation than it does about youths of today! To many narrow minded, hypocritical people who are all to willing to defend someone because they 'know' them!
I wouldn't trust this teacher to now teach my child, once a dogs temper is broken they become very temperamental, what if mr mac now develops a mistrust or dislike for youths of today and this happens again? Then will you all stand and defend him?
Violence is never the answer, and to justify this because he is respected is pathetic! That is not teaching the youth of today anything.

Reply Posted by Neighbour on Monday July 22 2013 at 23:43
He is respected because he works hard and has a solid community spirit. Over 30 years in his job with no problems.......he wouldnt be teaching otherwise! You want him hung drawn and quartered. The police have been contacted and the ASBO team but to no avail. These boys have been seen causing damage and being abusive to elderly folk. What this does say is that people can be driven over the edge and their normal practice goes out of the window. I do not condone his actions but having experienced abuse from this group i can see why on this day he acted out of character. Time to move on and hopefully all parties have learnt from the experience......

Reply Posted by sheila on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 01:22
But there was no proof that the young lad in question was involved in previous incidents! So what you say is hearsay also. If you are denying what others are saying claiming it is hearsay how can you then defend the issue with hearsay that backs up his side of the story?
I feel for him and the other residents that may have suffered with anti social behavior but i disagree that people stereotype the majority of teenagers when in fact asbo youths are the minority. I do not know the young lad in question but i do know his mum and know he would have been raised with better standards than thinking that something like this is acceptable!
I still believe that there is no proof that these 2 youths, present at the time of the incident were involved in the harassment of your friend otherwise the police would have taken the matter further as they did with the complaint of the attack on the young boy!
As i said in my previous comment, violence is not the answer and if people are so concerned about the youth of today, a teacher, a pillar of the community should be setting a better example, not showing that violence is the answer.

Reply Posted by Bob on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 09:07
Sheila, You are absolutely right! Violence is never the answer, moreover how do we know that this has not happened before?

Reply Posted by emma on Monday July 22 2013 at 19:59
Does that if were true condone violence. Maybe case of mistaken identity ?? Still should have phoned police not take matters into his hands.

Reply Posted by nick on Monday July 22 2013 at 20:07
ok to clear up any issues with my post. I never said David was on steroids. Only that it was insinuated that he was at the time I was in his class as being the reason for his outbursts of rage. I cant confirm or deny this as I never saw any of the above. I can only confirm he was known to kick off. The point I was making was he should not have taken action the way he did. These actions are wrong unless he was at risk and had to defend himself (what I doubt from a 12 year old knowing his size and training). He knows as a man in his profession this is unacceptable and he should be ashamed of his actions.

Reply Posted by friend of a friend on Monday July 22 2013 at 20:15
The.do gooder only said Mr MacFarlane head butted the 12 year old so that the gang would leave him and his property alone.

Reply Posted by daz on Monday July 22 2013 at 20:29
Cant believe he would headbut a kid.he would have done it to me when I was at school cos I was a right pain in the arse (to be polite).

Reply Posted by Alex on Monday July 22 2013 at 23:30
Haha andy you clearly are an idiot since you contradict yourself so much. You say he's on steroids and a expert martial artist. Ha Mecca keeps himself fit and yeah he knows martial arts so do you think that if he head butted your child that your child would be standing after it. I don't think so. Also since most of what is said is hearsay then any remark you make about him is likely to be false. Oh and for your information since macca has dropped the point now and doesn't wish to respond he has been forced into early retirement and so he won't be teaching anyone's children although I would trust him with my own any day of the week. And on an extra the child did not spit on the floor he spat at macca. And I don't care what his parents say about him they don't know him away from home! Most kids Re different with friends he probs was a little shit and how does anyone but macca know if he had seen the child I think people need to stop making judgements on things they know nothing about. And he isn't teaching anymore and is likely to move so leave him alone as for the child I'm sure he will be fine no harm done I'm sure worse will happen to him when he gets older and other boys beat him senseless.

Reply Posted by Andy on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 07:04
Can you hear the banjo playing? it is against the law you know

Reply Posted by neighbour on Monday July 22 2013 at 23:31
I have experienced property damage at the hands of these youths and i saw what they wrote on Mr Macfarlanes neighbours drive. I have removed them from his garden and drive on several occassions. They were abusive and threatening. I don`t see Mr Macfarlane has a coward or as a rampaging lunatic. Hes helpful friendly and a decent guy who has come to the end of his tether. He knows he has made a mistake hence the plea of guilty. He will regret his actions and do his punishment because thats the type of person he his. I really do think all this could have been avoided had the parties got together. I am dubious about this head butt claim because no injuries were sustained and i am certain that an headbutt would leave substantial wounds.....we will all be contacting the police in future at the first indication of anti social behaviour and i hope the policeman who defends his son turns up on time to witness what we have endured for over a year. Lets hope this summer is peaceful unlike last year which was a nightmare for us.

Reply Posted by outsider on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 07:34
As an outsider looking in I sympathise with both sides here and will probably never know the real truth from either party.
I do not know either party involved here but I am a Blackbelt second dan and one thing I do know is that if a martial arts "expert" were head butt a person not once but twice then the other party would probably need remedial surgery and would definitely be hospitalised. This being so would have sent this man to prison, and rightfully so!
There's something not right here, not wanting to take sides here, just speaking from experience, but a woolly hat offers no protection at all.
Think both parties should move on now, agreement will never be met and British justice has been served.

Reply Posted by acquaintance on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 10:10
Mr MacFarlane doesn t look like he s on steroids, and from my knowledge of him, he s laid back friendly and a great neighbour. this lad is probably a good lad, but he has been identified as a member of a gang that throws stones and goes on others property and generally cause a disturbance in an area he doesn t live.... both parties ante in the wrong, but only one has been punished. the other got reward and probably extra pocket money too. As condoning a future assault on the teacher when he s sixty .... now whose the coward, and if you are the great parent you say you are, you should explain to your son that the other party has been punished.....

Reply Posted by kneejerk on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 10:54
Good comments made from the "outsider" i must say i did question head butting, this lad has been identified as a known trouble maker along this road wether the parents and friends of this family like it or not. I took video footage months ago and several names were put to several faces, but i was never called to give evidence.
Not that i agree with what MacFarlane did to this boy but the youngsters running amok around this area is ridiculous and its always "not my boy, he`s a good boy", but any parent will tell you that come early teens a very much "Jekyll and Hyde" character emerges, some call it becoming a pain in the butt others call it developing their own identity and it dosn`t matter what kind of a background children come from, how polite they are, how much they have been taught right from wrong a different facade appears when they get with their mates and being the mother of three boys no one will ever tell me ant different ! . . . and that`s personal experience talking - believe me.
Both sides of this fiasco have commited offences and both sides deserved to be punished.

Reply Posted by Julie on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 11:40
We have known Dean for quite a number of years, hes a great guy with a heart of gold, he really was pushed to the limit reguarding this matter, he has worked hard and is respected by alot of people. I am his daughters godmother and he is a wonderful dad. The people on that estate have worked hard for what they have got and dont deserve to be terrorised by mindless yobs!!!

Reply Posted by John on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 12:38
I'm with Andy all the way. The original kids that caused this should be stuck in a bush (or two) but this 12 year old did not deserve to be headbutted. If it were my son Mr nice guy teacher would have been in casualty, simple as. So Andy deserves much credit. As for the ones that stick up for Mr nice guy teacher, I have nothing to say other than you're all a little bit dumb.

Reply Posted by PM on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 12:43
Absolutely unbelievable some of the nonsense comments on this issue, a young lad who has not been seen doing anything or actually done anything is attacked by a vile bully who should know better with 30 years + teaching experience. I for one would not be happy having this supposed professional person teach my child.
Would this be acceptable if the Police did this to anyone they assumed had done a crime NO I do not think it would. For one they would not 'lose control' and secondly without any substantial evidence they would not event attempt to detain him, with that in mind there has been an investigation and no Police officer has attempted to put any blame on the young lad.
This is just not acceptable for any adult to do but with him being a teacher and supposed pillar of the community this is disgusting and makes me wonder what type of world we live in where people defend this type of person so vigorously.
This comment comes from a person who has had to deal with a lot of anti-social behaviour which has resulted in damaged to home and vehicle but not once did I ever attack anyone, I left it to the Police who did eventually get the problem sorted.

Reply Posted by x on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 13:45
andy i wasn't refering to you in paticular i was refering to parents in general.i have a 12 yr old son who is the most pleasant well mannered lad you could ever wish for would do anything for anyone the whole family and friends think hes wonderful,well i can tell you now after what i saw and heard when i went to the shop absolutely digusted me,the tyrade of abuse and foul language that was coming from his and his mates mouths was shocking to say the least and i can tell you now being chucked in an edge would have been heaven to him as a punishment,but if someone had told me 5mins earlier that was the way my son was behaving i would have laughed at them,hes 27now and the one trhing we both learnt about that day was he wasn't the golden boy my family and i thought he was and he learnt that you always get caught out in the end no matter what act you put on when your at home

Reply Posted by Combie on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 22:42
Face facts Andy your lads a enough of a little scroat to make a man who takes shite from kids for a living snap. And nowadays that says plenty trust me. Your little angel made it so a man can't sit in his own home he's worked hard for in peace without fear of his privacy being violated, house damaged, car damaged etc. Take a look in the mirror your everything that's wrong with this country and your kid will continue your legacy. Keep it in your pants if you can't raise a child. If Dean wanted to hurt your kid he wouldn't have come out the coma yet. How much compo u fishing for eh? Just enough to Keep thi in Jin Lings and Frosty Jacks for a while til your angel can claim social and put to ill bet.

Reply Posted by ai on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 08:41
Facts are your mate got a compromise deal-allowed to plead guilty to a lesser charge!!
This meant he gets to access his pension early.
Luckily for the public he cannot work with vulnerable children or adults again
in your world a drub and child abuser gets to work with kids
maybe you advocate gary glitter becomes a music teacher?

Reply Posted by mustapha phag on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 23:09
You expect the teachers to do your job for you and they get accused of not doing there job when something goes wrong.
Well the whole wrong in todays society is the lack of respect to anyone.
I was caught at school smoking and got caned twice on each hand and it fkin stung to death. i had the respect not to get caught smoking.
How does anyone know there isnt a stone in the snowball they dont give a shit.
Three winters ago a snowball was thrown
at a bus with a stone in it and showered glass over a mother and child . had it hit the child it could have been killed
stop pussyfooting an bandying stupid words the teacher shoul have kicked seven shades of shit out of him and then his father should have done the same and the school should have defended his actions at court . the teachers i mean.
Kids get away with everything at school and its pathetic...see all the kids. throwng snowballs outside kirk balk and at alhambra roundabout.

Reply Posted by mustapha phag on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 23:13
Oh . and by the way nice one combie

Reply Posted by A Mum on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 00:41
A 12 year old boy was assaulted - it seems clear he had done nothing wrong. Even if he had he is a 12 year old CHILD. No matter how good this mans character was previously he is in a position of trust, and has a duty of care. Suggest those who defend him consider how they would feel if this was their son, or brother. I can't believe a teacher is getting a pat on the back for assaulting a child! children he teaches will make mistakes, will over step the mark, will he snap then? The developing brain cannot always see the big picture and children act in haste he will work with that everyday - if he snaps again how many of you will say he shouldn't have been let back in a classroom??? Or what if it's your family, what if they don't recover? Is it worth the risk. Anybody who hurts a child shouldn't be in such a position of trust! I for one hope this child is ok and feels able to be a child and not be frightened! Sickening!

Reply Posted by Bob on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 01:07
I know both the teacher involved and the parents of the 12 year old in question. Having been taught by Dean during my time at Holgate, I can honestly say that he was 1 of the best teachers there. If someone told me on the street that he had done this then I would have probably told them to not be so stupid! However knowing the parents of the child (Andy and Lisa), then I can also honestly say that accusations like this would not be made up by them if they weren't true. If the child did do the things said on here then that should have been dealt with earlier and stopped. If it was reported to the police then they could easily have looked at Dean and not taken it seriously. That would have been wrong. However, Dean should not have done whatever he did as in his professional capacity as a teacher then he does have a duty of care towards all children. It is both a sad and disappointing story. No adult should ever hit a child.

Reply Posted by sm on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 10:18
I know the family well they are good parents and good kids, they have been brought up with respect. This so called 'respectable teacher' before this may well have been a honest, hard working good citizen but the fact is he over stepped the mark and laid his hands on a CHILD. I cant understand the thought process of the people on here who are defending him. I too have been confronted with anti-social behaviour, car and property damage and have been confronted in the street but I would never dream of putting my hands on anyone let alone CHILD. The problem with this country is people like to jump on the band waggon I think all the 'DO GOODERS' on here should l lay off the family, they dont deserve this. Facts state that this teacher did what he did and despite whats happened to the man violence should never be use to resolve anyghing and AN ADULT SHOULD NEVER LAY THEIR HANDS ON A CHILD- THATS THE LAW!

Reply Posted by x on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 12:17
i dont think anyone thinks its ok to go round pushing kids about willy nilly but at the same time even the nicest kindest most mild mannered person has a breaking point and can i just point out sm as a 12 yr old CHILD i KNEW the difference between RIGHT AND WRONG and in my youth if i did what these kids were doing i would have expected a thick ear, firstly off the people i was terrorising and then my parents when they found out.this is exactly why the kids of today behave how they do because they know theres no comebacks for their behaviour,they know there will always be someone who comes out with the statement their only kids NO CHILD AT 12 WHO KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE DOING SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO TERRORISE ANOTHER HUMAN BEING AND GET AWAY WITH IT BECAUSE OF THEIR AGE

Reply Posted by Mark on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 17:24
I am furious that any person could defend a grown man hitting a 12 year old child EVER but to hit my nephew has angered me so much. My nephew is a very nice and polite child who would not do anything like he was accused of and I know this to be true my brother would not allow such behaviour nor would his wife. If the teacher wants to talk I am available.

Reply Posted by niceone on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 17:43
Mark, the aggression obviously runs through family

Reply Posted by Greg on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 19:14
Hello, from what I've heard this adult teacher who works in a high stress job has lost his cool on a group of 2+ youngsters, so this man gets in his car and chases after these kids, seeing 2 children he assumes these kids are the perpetrators, and therefore beats one and throws him in a bush, 1: a grown man harming a 12 year old boy, even if a kid was a swine he/she should not be harmed purposely, 2: these 2 children had not been in the local vicinity more than 5-10 minutes so please tell me how they can snowball a house from 3 mile away when he was in Royston sat on his sofa. One hell of a throw don't ya think. Anyway, i disagree with what this guy has got away with, he deserves jail. I personally know this child, he is a close relative and honestly he would not harm a fly. Even if he did, he would own up to it and take the consequences but them consequences what ever happened should not be harmful . Being 18 myself its not so long ago, you narrow minded people would think i was out buying drugs and beating people and getting drunk. NOT ALL TEENAGERS ARE BAD. People need to learn this as people like me and the victim get constantly wrongly accused.
People make me sick.
P.s "niceone" the aggression doesn't run through the family. Im his son and havent been in a fight since school. Im now on my way to uni.
Thanks
Greg

Reply Posted by kinell on Friday July 26 2013 at 08:18
You and your family need to get a grip and remove the "rose tinted spectacles" mate. This lad is no longer the sweetness and light you think he is. I saw him in Royston park kicking a football against a shutter door making a hell of a row and when asked by a nearby resident to pack it in the language which followed was pure vile and filth INCLUDING THIS BOY !
I few minutes later they embarked on reducing two girls to tears with a tirade of abuse calling them "fat slags" and the like - disgusted.
I know this lad, i witnessed him taking part so please stop making him out as some kind of angel ffs - get real !

Reply Posted by king hell on Thursday July 25 2013 at 09:04
Greg took sometime to write this endearing letter.
If you believe everything that you have written you must really be somewhere else

Reply Posted by Spandangled on Thursday July 25 2013 at 14:38
PFFFT!!! to all this kids family the fact that his father has posted thet the kid will be 18 and a strapping lad in a few years but mr mac will be pushing 60!!! pfft yeah ur bringin ur kid up great u ejjit! teaching him that two wrongs make a right? well no wonder it wa ur lil angel who never doe no wrong who copped for it cos it is blaitantly apparent that ur teaching him well!

Reply Posted by sparky on Thursday July 25 2013 at 18:20
I think it's the teacher that's learnt the young lad that violence is the way to solve a problem, not his dad! If beating up 12 year olds makes you a pillar of the community god help us

Reply Posted by Greeny on Thursday July 25 2013 at 18:36
I have known this Man since i was 9 years old im now 35. He is one of the nicest human beings iv ever had the pleasure of knowing. I know for a fact this man has a heart of gold. The little disrespectful shits with no discipline might now understand that there anti social ways will not be tolerated. Its just a crying shame a good man has had to suffer going through this shit show. The parents should hang there heads in shame and as for you Andy its people like you with your attitude that our town and country are in the state its in.

Reply Posted by Paula on Thursday July 25 2013 at 18:36
I have friends who trained as teachers the job role as changed for the worse ...teachers are not respected anymore I can imagine what the teacher had to put up with ... it's a shame he was pushed to the limit and acted as he did but if the child was behaved and had respect for his elders the situation would never have happened !!

Reply Posted by Jessica Gargett on Thursday July 25 2013 at 18:40
I'm sorry but mr mac would not have head butted a child!! The disrespectful child who got thrown in the hedge deserves more than that and as for his father I hope to god ur ashamed of how iv obviously brought him up!!! U may be from a hard working family but that doesn't mean to say ur sons done no wrong!!! If I ever found out that my kids had done anything like that I'd have thrown them through hedge myself!!! Cannot stand little yobs with no respect that need bringing down a peg or 2.....

Reply Posted by Paul on Thursday July 25 2013 at 18:41
Don't think the teacher should lose his job by the sound of it the little kid got what he deserves should have more respect kids get away with two much because adults are afraid to punish them i got the belt and slipper on my backside

Reply Posted by Debbie on Thursday July 25 2013 at 18:45
Right folk dean never headbutted that little get so get ya facts right. .he and others as put up with shit from these kids 4 months now..dean had enough and went 2tel em 2 take off but no the kids were vile 2wards him and other's so yes he pushed 1..but believe me the little gets should have got done 2them wot there were doin 2the folk who lived there. .upsetting old people. .causein damage 2things wot folk as worked hard 4..mum and dad as got a son 2b proud of..not..and if he had headbutted the lad y was there no a mark on him ask yaselfs that..??? Parents should learn the son not 2lie and learn so respect. ..I no dean very wel and alot of folk as so much respect 4him its unreal..we cud not go anywhere without folk cumin up shakein his hand..and the old guy who says he saw it all is sick..2lie like that..was al bout money..the mother is a teacher wel do a better job cause ya should no when kids are liein and u should b ashamed of yaself and ya son cause dean wil lose is job..worked hard al is life 4 a vile sick family 2do this..1word 4ya scum...

Reply Posted by Craig on Thursday July 25 2013 at 18:48
Kids have no respect and cry when there is consequences when I was a lad if I was up to no good and not like what they do these days I would have expected a clip it's what most of them need the scumbag parents are the worst for protecting there bad kids :-)

Reply Posted by Debbie on Thursday July 25 2013 at 18:50
Lisa so called mum..take a closer look at ya vile little low life son..chased him in his car..?? Ya such a lier..and dean as son..?? Aged 6.. thats a lie..I with him 8years so how do u work that 1.. go sumwhere else and tel ya lies..and mummy y did ya son not go 2 hozi..?? O yes cause ya al dirty liein scum..

Reply Posted by Hoyler on Thursday July 25 2013 at 20:20
Laddo wants to think himself lucky he picked Deans road he got a result there just a push. Coz if some lad come down my street with all that he'd better hope he liked the taste of Fortisip, coz i dont mind porridge.

Reply Posted by x on Thursday July 25 2013 at 20:38
i happen to think dean showed a hell of a lot of self restraint and patience,he pushed the kid into a bush for gods sake he din't beat him black and blue.after the months of torment he and his family endured i think the kid got off lightly if a guy of deans stature and strength had head butted my 12 yr old child twice imsure i wouldn't have had any choice but to take him to hospital,your sone must be a big strapping lad already if he didnt need any hospital ttreatment and had no marks on him

Reply Posted by janesy on Thursday July 25 2013 at 21:37
I am completely with spandangled on this one all i am going to say is youngsters have no respect for anyone and i am relatively young still at 19 years of age and if i even stepped out of line once i would have been punished and actually had respect for my elders. Society has changed dramatically

Reply Posted by Pottyscotty on Thursday July 25 2013 at 23:53
Just like to say I bring my kids up to be respectful use there manners and respect there elders, but when they go out with there mates it all changes and goes out the window I have seen it with my own eyes and if someone would of told me that's what they was like I would not of believed them, but if any of them did to people what these yobs have been doing I would have gave them a clip round the ear hole as well, the problem with the kids these days is both parents have to go out working 40+ hours a week to provide for there family so they have no time for kids, then you get some family's that don't give a toss where and what there kids get upto as long as it don't interrupt there corra and eastenders time, please government bring the cane back.

Reply Posted by Potty scotty on Friday July 26 2013 at 00:07
I live near wardgreen and kids round there throw rocks at cars driving past and set fire to fields, ride motorbike on roads they even throw rocks at police cars but police never do anything about it, sometimes buses have to stop going up w/common because of all the yobs throwing rocks at buses but does anything get done about it no, we can all try talk to the yobs and try make them stop but sometime it does take a quick backhand sometime.

Reply Posted by kinell on Friday July 26 2013 at 08:10
As the arguments and comments rage on, wait until these people read this mornings edition of the "Chron" whoo hoo let battle commence !
The support for this teacher is gathering force and it does seem that rose tinted spectacles have been worn by the boys family and friends for far too long. Spitting is vile let alone anything else he got up to and i`m not surprised he ended up in the hedge bottom, its a good wallop he needed #nosmokewithoutfire.

Reply Posted by x on Friday July 26 2013 at 11:48
thats the problem with some of todays parents they defend their kids even when they know they are lying.if id gone home and told my parents some adult had chucked me in a bush id have got another clout for getting into trouble.i absolutely adore my 13yr old grandson but how someone hasnt given him a slap across the mouth amazes me i can tell you this his parents are strict especially his dad but as soon as he leaves the house and gets with the rwst of his mates he undergoes a personality transplant and this kids parents needs to accept there son is probably not the same lad outside the home as he is in it

Reply Posted by wellsaid on Friday July 26 2013 at 12:59
Ha, you try telling that to the parents, family and friends of this lad in question. He must be unique, he`s a little angel, always has been, always will be and there aint no one ever gonna tell them any different about this lad, but it will come back and bite them all on the arse that I can assure you, and then it will be "well, who`d have thought that eh" . . . . makes me wanna spew !

Reply Posted by Teacher on Friday July 26 2013 at 15:45
I'm torn on this issue. On the one hand, mr McFarlane taught me, I was a pain in the backside; cocky, refused to do my work and he dragged me through my gcse; for which I will be eternally grateful. He gave up his spare time to sit me down and get my work done. He was well respected by 'the bad kids' and got them involved in sport outside of school. I think all the ex students' testimonies stand to show that if he encountered teenagers 39 weeks a year for 34 years, there has to have been some significant trauma going off here for him to flip like this.
On the other hand, as a teacher myself, I would like to think that I could never lose my temper in that way with a child, though some days you do wonder when little jimmy's parents are yelling at you because their little angel has been told off - heaven forbid. I know from the experience of being a teenager, how magical it is when you discover where a teacher lives; hence why I will only work away from the area where I live. Being tormented in you own home is a crushing thing, having nowhere to hide from the attacks and the police will tell you to take note of the incidents and nothing else; there's no repercussions for the youth of today, it's sad; these young people have untapped talents and potential that is not being realised because there is nobody allowed to sit them down and stop them from spiralling out of control. I will say this though, I'm a parent myself, I take responsibility for ALL actions of my child, it is not his teacher's responsibility to teach him to behave, or indeed, control my child. I trained in my job to impart wisdom and to educate. I spent a great deal of my lessons when I first started teaching trying to control my students, thankfully now I have learnt that I'm not there to babysit and my students accept that. It angers me when people say, 'they're a teacher, they should know better' why??? Teacher's are impervious to mental and physical assault? Sure, we know the difference between right and wrong but don't people who work in all other professions? If I am attacked, whatever my setting, I will defend myself.
Anyway, I don't know all the details, the only people that do are the people that were involved, so speculation won't get anybody anywhere. It's a shame he's not teaching anymore but maybe now was a good time for him to get out.

Reply Posted by Teacher on Friday July 26 2013 at 16:02
...and I only say that because the 'big, hard' ones will all want to have a go and work's just going to be as much of a pain.

Reply Posted by Andy on Friday July 26 2013 at 18:48
Dean, you are probably as sick of this as I am?
As this is the only medium we can communicate, I would like to make a suggestion.
Today I was going to respond to your partner Debbie's rather virile attack on my family, but after thinking about it have chose what I hope you agree is a way forward?
People have suggested that had our meeting been under different circumstances we would have probably made friends
I hold no malice towards you and the investigating police if they could would testify that-I did not want you to lose your job which I know you have worked hard to get and maintain and even agreed to the lesser charges brought against you, in hope that we would all move on after the case. Obviously it is not working!!

My suggestion is that we meet up and either agree to disagree but agree to move on. If you convince me my son was involved or has been involved then I will deal with that at my end, if you agree he was not and he looked like one of the "gang then we can act together to make things right.
Either way I will if you think it would help I will write a letter expressing my wish that you do not lose your job as a result of this sorry show we are all in.
We can do it 2 ways
1- formally through the probation service-you can arrange that through them.
2-informally-we both know what the other looks like as we were both in court, I have an advantage of knowing where you live and would be happy to come there or at a pre determined location- your choice- if you want to meet then please respond through these posts and we can arrange something.
At least we can do a joint post to say we have met and have agreed to move on. I will log on in an hour if you get chance to pick this up and later a few more times later. I will not log on again after today and assume this is not what you want to do.

What do you think all the best either way-Andy

Reply Posted by joker on Saturday July 27 2013 at 08:57
Hey dude, you really need to go back and read your own postings man, it wasn`t so long ago you were accusing this guy of taking steroids and having "roids attacks and rages"
If I was this other guy it wouldn`t be you I was talking to - it would be a solicitor,
you just can`t go around of making accusations and shit like that without proof and evidence, it amounts to defamation of character which is a punishable by law, and you fkn wrote it man for everyone to see (and save), and as for this policeman friend of yours, his job does not allow him to comment on sites like this and he could also end up in deep deep shit man, you should never have made the first comment man, you should have let the justice system prevail, if I were you I`d be shitting myself . . . . .and the copper !

Reply Posted by x on Saturday July 27 2013 at 11:35
you canot set out to ruin the reputation and life of an extremely well respected and decent persons life on the say so of a 12yr old kid and then when you find out your sons no angel and this guy is totally supported by a lot of people to meet you shake hands and just say ok lets forget it,doesn't wotk like that im afraid,i think youv'e been brought down to earth with a bump at the amount of support this mans had,and you havn't got the tyrade of abuse towards him you thought you were going to get

Reply Posted by Teacher on Saturday July 27 2013 at 12:18
Andy, This whole debacle has been blown up out all proportion, but lets just have a look at what we`ve got here.
A twelve year old boy has been pushed . . . . . . .big deal !
No one is ever going to believe the head butting bollocks and all the rubbish about "the red marks he had faded before the police arrived" or "he didn`t need hospital treatment because he was wearing a woolly hat" Jesus Andy, have you any idea how stupid these remarks make you sound FFS !
Right, so now we`ve got that sorted and we`re back to the push.
We have here a teacher with thirty odd years experience and judging by the positive comments that this site has been inundated with this man has been a damn good teacher over the thirty odd years. Thirty years teaching experience is invaluable to an already collapsing education system, experience which can`t be bought with a student loan, or handed out with examination certificates, it has to be gathered over many many years, but you seemed to be all to willing and eager to get this teacher the sack because your boy had a shove in the chest, it really does beggar belief the extremes that both you and your wife seemed to be acceptable. OK this teacher probably shouldn`t have done it, but hey Andy, we are ALL human mate.
If this teacher does end up getting the sack it will be a complete travesty and I can`t possibly see what you will have gained from it apart from a little compensation, and if this is the case then shame on you.
I really hope this weighs heavy on your conscience for many years to come.
A push in the chest - Jesus wept !

Reply Posted by ai on Saturday July 27 2013 at 13:34
Many of the comments are devoid of fact-many people have pre-judged the youth of today and devoid of facts have commented.
The court transcript reads that the victim is not known to or on the radar of any support agencies. The defendant has previous convictions the last 22 years ago.
He cannot defend his actions as he is guilty and pleaded so-he can only go onto try damage limitation and come up with a right load of bollocks as to the background of the violent attack on a 12 year old child. His solicitor said he has to visit his 6 year old daughter who lives around the corner!! which is where he was going on the day of the attack.
The victim was walking down the street when he was attacked-witnesses gave evidence to the fact that head butts were inflicted on the youth they would not lie surely, for their sins they get abuse in the postings. Obviously the Teacher, family and friends do not want to hear the facts and their version of events is the only truth here and god help anyone who thinks different.
Carlton must be a great place to live-the residents believe punishment attacks on youths are acceptable, assaults by adults on young people are ok as they deserve it, this child was the victim not the teacher, despite the remarks the facts are the facts-FFS look at the facts, then pass a judgement.

Reply Posted by x on Saturday July 27 2013 at 18:45
he did plead guilty ai he didnt deny what he did was inapropriate and this 12yr old may not be known on any support agencies doesnt mean hes innocent does it theres many a criminal out there thats never been caught,but that doesn't alter the fact that this boy and his parents have tried to make this situation into a worse assault than it actually was when my 8yr old grandson headbutted his 13yr old brother when they were play fighting he ended up with a bloody nose and black eye yet you expect us to believe a trained martial arts expert head butted this kid twice and didn't leave a mark, and i also happen to think this kids family and friends dont want to hear the facts either and people dont think punishment attacks on kids are acceptable ai,but by the same token they also dont think its ok for 12yr olds to go round causing havoc on people when they feel like it and expect everyone to feel sorry for them when they get their comupance. people like you need to stop carrying on as if this guy beat the kid to a pulp and left him in the hedge to die, he didn't he pushed him for gods sake.

Reply Posted by ai on Saturday July 27 2013 at 21:14
Vermine the lot of you!
They should rename the estate CHATSWORTH because you are all shameless.
The kids family and friends have stuck to the facts-you lot make it up as you go along,
Nominate Dean for role model of the year!!
You are playing this out in the public domain and you are showing yourselves up as a result.
He is not sorry he is only sorry he got caught-trying to save face then his job, how low do you go. Maybe some more facts will come out with the next show

Reply Posted by friend on Sunday July 28 2013 at 07:14
People keep saying that this boy was never identified as being a trouble maker, this 12 yr old must be nearly six feet tall, he`s taller than most of the men on this street ! It`s very hard to miss him within a group of 12 yr olds even if he was wearing a balaclava

Reply Posted by nonsensical on Sunday July 28 2013 at 07:33
This McFarlane guy probably couldn`t give a toss wether he loses his job or not. He`s been in this job for the past thirty odd years and paying into what used to be a real good pension scheme, he probably would like another couple of years to replace what the government has been pinching for the last few years, think about it, would you like to go into a profession of trying to drag dis-respectful 12 and 13 year olds through a failing education system where your "damned if you do - damned if you don`t" mentality, where the kids know the rights they have and what they can get away with, not likely matey.
AND. . . .has anyone noticed that this teacher has not posted one single comment, not one !
With the amount of support he`s had from work colleagues, ex colleagues, pupils, ex pupils, friends, neighbours you name it they`ve backed him and he will know exactly what has been put on here.
As a rule school teachers aint stoopid, he`ll have been logging every adverse comment and you can bet your bottom dollar we havn`t heard the last of this, especially if he does eventually lose his job, people could end up in court with the comments that have been wrote, a lot of defamatory nonsense without proof to back it . . . .. oops - not good.

Reply Posted by disgusted on Sunday July 28 2013 at 10:43
It is a thread to do with an act of violence on a 12 year old minor, i find it unlikely that anything would come of it. These threads are added for people to debate the situation. The teacher was in the wrong, anybody with any sense can see that. These people that are condoning violence are the people who should be ashamed!

Reply Posted by disgusted on Sunday July 28 2013 at 10:39
This post has just been brought to my attention by a friend, i do not know either party involved so remain impartial to the situation.
I have spent the last hour reading the posts and peoples claims that the country is the way it is because of youth of today is ridiculous! I do not believe that all youths are naughty and disrespectful, but the ones that are probably have parents like the majority of the people posting regarding this article!
Listen to yourselves, condoning violence!!! What is the matter with you? Then you all go up in arms because these children have thrown stones. I agree with sheila, this is teaching the youth of today that violence is an acceptable course of action, regardless of age or gender!!!
My opinion is that is why this country is going to rack and ruin!
From what i have read these children where not identified, this says that they may or may not have had any involvement in the situation but violence is not the answer in any situation.
Furthermore i think this thread says a lot about the childs parents, i know some parents would not have let the pitiful punishment go and would have taken things in to their own hands, the fact that they have been so amicable about the situation says that they have the right values.

Reply Posted by ai on Sunday July 28 2013 at 13:44
At last some clarity and balanced views, at last the last post is from someone that has read and understood the posts before jumping to conclusions.
The victims parents have been more than amicable, the father even offered an olive branch albeit a time limited one, hopefully he does not log back in as he said as I am sure he has had enough.
To add further to the debate and to gain further background and to avoid assumptions being made can I pose a few assumptions and questions?
Debbie, you are the partner of Mr M for 8 years?
You are not the mother to his 6 year old?
I presume from your post's and grammar that you are younger than Mr M?
Are you by chance an ex pupil of his?

To the parents of the 12 year old victim if they are looking in or anyone who has posted that they know the family:
Is he 6ft tall and stands above the kids his age?
If not is this a case of mistaken identity as suggested, leading me to believe that he was the innocent victim here?

Reply Posted by madge on Sunday July 28 2013 at 15:08
i dont normally write on these sort of things but i feel i should say something.
i was once accused of assaulting a child,i came across a young man beating up another boy i stepped in and pushed this lad off the other young man and somehow he ended up on the floor with a cut on his head i checked to make sure he was ok and then made sure the other lad got home safely,i had been home about 10mins when someone started banging on the door screaming that i had assaulted her son and she had phoned the police i hadn't hit that boy i had pushed him off another boy whom he was beating,this lad had obviously gone home and told his parents half a tale as im sure he didnt say i was beating someone up and a lady split us up and i cut my eye.if this woman had involved the police i could have been facing charges just like this gentleman did. please dont miss understand me i dont condone violence of any sort but i do believe that people need to realise things arnt always how a so called victim portrays it and children do have a tendency to twist their versions of the truth if they think they could be in trouble themselves.i was 48yrs of age when this happened and not the most healthy of women so it was quite amusing really when i opened the door to his mum and she saw the person who had supposedly assaulted her son.

Reply Posted by ai on Sunday July 28 2013 at 17:45
Last January around the time of this assault I was clearing the snow off my drive when a snowball just missed my head-6 local young lads stood there armed with one each. I drew breath rolled a ball and got one straight between the eyes, The next ten minutes was the most fun I had had in years, to be honest I was glad when they buggered off as I was knackered and taking a beating 6 onto 1 you would. 10 minutes later they came back armed with snow shovels and the like and helped me shift the snow off my drive and that of three elderly neighbours-I gave them a fiver for their trouble-not an hiding or a load of abuse. These are the same kids off your estate as I live in Carlton.
I have heard this couple screaming effing and blinding at the youths often for only walking past-they will torment people who give them such a reaction.
I see those same kids regularly morning Mr how do they say-the cheeky one still calls me "old lad" but hey-recently one of the horrible little gets helped me take the shopping in-how dare he- nice. I hope the victim is ok after all this he is bloody 12 years old and for information I too have never gone on pages like this but was incensed by what I have been reading from this whinging couple and their so called friends demonising the youth of today. By the way I am 60 years old still only 5 years older than "Dean" and yes he should be ashamed of himself and for what he has done and the shame he has brought on himself and this community.

Reply Posted by witness on Monday July 29 2013 at 07:06
RE: continual comments made by "ai"
We all get your message here, you don't agree with what this teacher did and no one is going to change your mind, judging by your comments you would take great enjoyment in having this teacher flogged in public.
For gods sake man GIVE IT A REST !
The father of the boy said earlier that he`s sick to the back teeth of this whole show and you sure as hell aren't helping anyone from either side of this argument, you just continually stoke this argument, let things move on.
A lads been pushed, the dad doesn`t like it but at the end of the day our "great British justice system" passed judgement.
If your not happy "ai" speak to your MP about the system, get things changed but for goodness sake stop bellyaching, it`s history, gone, finished . . . . TIME TO MOVE ON.

Reply Posted by x on Monday July 29 2013 at 13:16
yeaaaaa well said witness

Reply Posted by ai on Monday July 29 2013 at 15:28
Witness to what?
If you witnessed the assault you could have saved the victim and his family all the suffering and abuse they have endured.
Yes I do think he should be flogged, his version of events are all fabricated
He did head butt a child
He did get an innocent victim
The victims family have endured abuse through these postings
all because the scutter and his partner wanted to save face and not face up to the reality of Mr Nice's actions.
I will leave it alone now that the facts have prevailed.
My thoughts are with the innocent victim & his parents who for sticking to the truth have been trashed.
All the rest can live with their conscience knowing Dean has lied from the start and will continue to lie to save his bacon.
He knew he had the wrong kid as he thought he had sorted out the lad round the corner and has covered up since and realised he had nutted a stranger.

Reply Posted by witness on Monday July 29 2013 at 19:21
you sooooo wrong you sad sad man, nobody believes the head butting rubbish because this little uncouth scrote was completely unmarked, dont you get it thickhead ?
He was identified by several neighbours on the street you fkn fruit cake, this not-so innocent victim got his just desserts you loony tune

Reply Posted by neighbour on Monday July 29 2013 at 18:33
Yes guys you got it just about right with this "ai" geezer, talk about war mongering . . . Jeez
You would think he would have a little more tact with this matter considering that the boys father is also sick to the back teeth of the whole episode, he should know better at his age.
Give it a rest you silly little man.
(Betcha he's the kinda guy who MUST have the final word on EVERYTHING, watch this space folks lol)

Reply Posted by ai on Tuesday July 30 2013 at 09:18
for the avoidance of doubt I am a concerned resident who hates bullies, you numpties are missing the point-he beat up the wrong kid and has lied all way through-the lack of investigative reporting (which is what I did for a living) has led me to get involved also to defend the rights and reputation of the victim and his family-they need protecting from the likes of you lot.
Read the Child protection Act-the victim is a minor!!
To add further please tell Mr M and the delectable Debbie that I have forwarded these threads by link to National College for Teaching & Leadership, OFSTED, EFA, the minister & secretary for education to date, sure the lovely comments by Debbie will go down well? Dean will explain the acronyms to you dumplings. Dean remember under disclosure to tell potential new employers of your conviction.
Your last school in Doncaster ought to be glad to be shot of you, partly for the car park incident with a colleagues boyfriend and the fact they have the worst reputation for Child Protection obviously your future lies in the hands of these people but they can make a judgement based on evidential facts.

Reply Posted by disgusted on Tuesday July 30 2013 at 10:41
ai- Just let it go, these people that condone this mans actions are now becoming personal towards you, i would just forget the thread. The people with morals and the correct mentality and beliefs can go forward knowing that we are not supporting the cause of a violent bully.This is a debate that is getting nobody anywhere, neither side is willing to back down and the poor parents of the victim must be sick of the thread by now. Just go forward knowing you were on the right side my friend. Keep fighting for whats right, shame there isn't more like you.

Reply Posted by A on Tuesday July 30 2013 at 09:57
Ai, you have a lot of spare time on your hands and obviously some misplaced belief that this has anything to do with you. I'm interested in your decision to forward this to Ofsted which monitors organisations rather than individual teachers; did you just google educational monitoring bodies? Furthermore, any past incidents that you may have dragged up really have nothing to do with this case and your objective viewpoint on the 'facts' of which you, nor anybody who wasn't there at the time of the incident in question, is quite disturbing. Are you a vigilante?

Reply Posted by A on Tuesday July 30 2013 at 10:02
Also, with regards to disclosing his conviction, I'm sure your astute investigative journalism ability will have led you to discover that convictions show up on CRB checks so you can rest easy at night knowing that 'Mr M' won't be able to slip through your bully proof net

Reply Posted by wellsaid on Tuesday July 30 2013 at 10:38
Now THAT is the most sensible comment posted on here to date, well said "A" whoever you are.
Obviously the laws of the land don`t suffice in the "airy fairy" world of this self appointed vigilante lunatic.
Lets face it investigative reporters don`t exactly have the best of track records for morality and truth telling as we have all seen in the recent past, all experts at dredging the dirt. Crawl back into the gutter with the rest of your buddies.

Reply Posted by disgusted on Tuesday July 30 2013 at 11:14
Why get personal with this man, who like everyone else is just expressing his opinion on a public forum? Again stereotyping him because of his profession, as to many people are stereotyping 'youths of today' Seriously, leave it! You are coming across as a bully, what gives you the right to take the moral high ground?

Reply Posted by AP on Tuesday July 30 2013 at 11:09
Since when did investigative journalists have the right to claim the moral high ground . . . . . .in anything ?
Any decent citizen will acknowledge that their credibility is shot to ribbons, I`m with the last comment here - crawl away !
#cancrawlunderasnakesbellywithatophaton.

Reply Posted by ohdear on Tuesday July 30 2013 at 11:34
Mr MacFarlane.
Top bloke, top teacher, shame we didn`t have more like him over the years and maybe our society today wouldn`t be in this pathetic state.
One thing for sure, if he has lost his job he has comfort in the knowledge that he has a hell of a lot of respect from colleagues and pupils past and present as this forum demonstrates. the amount of positive comments about this bloke is a testament to him and he should be proud, as we all are.
Walk away from it sir, let the do-gooders wallow in their own mess they are hell bent in creating, take your handsome pension you have earned and retire.

Reply Posted by Tom on Saturday August 3 2013 at 15:25
My partner (a solicitor) has drawn my attention to this emotive subject. As an ex-teacher and someone who has met Mr Macfarlane in a different capacity i have sympathy with both parties. He has been advised to speak to his legal team regarding some of the comments made. When i spoke to him he made this statement; I am grateful for the support from friends, colleagues and ex pupils but when all said and done i have made a mistake/error of judgement that has been punished by the courts. I fully understand the feelings of the parents and friends and actually agree with his father that its time to move on. The real issue is what can be done for these kids during holidays and why were calls to the police not responded to? It would be good at some point to meet with the lads parentsand maybe even draw a line under all the unpleasantness. As for his part Dean sees this issue as over!
Debbie is not Deans partner and her comments were vicious but maybe these were born out of the fact that she knows him as a laid back and caring person who was just pushed beyond the limit. I myself have concerns over the comments by ai. What are you talking about when you write about car park incidents........These never happened! Also should you be putting into the public domain comments made in court. You are obviously not aware of how the system works. Mr Macfarlane now has a record which will appear on his CRB for as long as he works with children. My thoughts are with the family of the boy and also for Mr Macfarlane......to my mind they are both victims. Victims of a system that is not working. In time i hope the two parties do meet and work together to find a way forward.