Baker Labels MPs As 'Clueless'

Friday July 19 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

A BARNSLEY baker has branded an MP 'clueless' after she suggested factories with working temperature of more than 30 degrees should be closed.

A group of MPs are pushing for a new law which would require bosses to send home staff if the temperature in the workplace exceeds 30C, or 27C for those doing strenuous work.

But John Foster, of Foster's Bakery in Mapplewell, said it was lunacy and that it would mean he would have to close and send home his 200 staff.

"The old phrase is 'if you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen'. But we can stand the heat, it's what we're used to. Take it from someone who works in a bakery and knows."

The proposal is contained in a parliamentary motion tabled by Labour MP Linda Riordan, which has attracted the signatures of 17 MPs.

It warns that employees in workplaces ranging from industrial bakeries to school classrooms are often subjected to temperatures which can 'impact seriously on their health and wellbeing'.

An official code of practice introduced in 1992 as part of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations states that workplace temperatures should not normally drop below 16C or 13C if the work involves severe physical effort.

But there is no suggested maximum limit, with the guidelines stating only that "all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a reasonably comfortable temperature".

John said temperatures on Wednesday reached 27.5 degrees inside the factory, but that it was hotter outside the bakery than it was inside.

He added: "We would have had to close. If we don't supply today, then our customers don't come back tomorrow and we're all out of work.

"It's just clueless MPs. If you're a bricklayer, in the winter it's horrible and in the summer it's comfortable. It's called life."

Reply Posted by Stevo on Friday July 19 2013 at 17:19
No FOSTER it is you who are clueless, why not improve working conditions for your employees?

NO you don't want to spend the money do you?

Tell me FOSTER is that the reason why you employ so many Eastern Europeans cos you are a tightwad?

Reply Posted by kath on Monday July 22 2013 at 11:55
i think its you thats clueless stevo you wont find a cold bakehouse anyware.and as for employing europeans thats got nothing to do with it .....

Reply Posted by Stevo on Monday July 22 2013 at 16:39
I have worked there, have you?

Didn't think so.

Foster is a tightwad and that is the reason he employs eastern Europeans to keep wages low and his profits up.

Reply Posted by Andy on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 18:24
i still work there numpty and he was brought up to be a tightwad like any good yorkshire lad, as for the east europeans they were brought in by somebody else and generally are good workers, just like at yorkshire repack, premdor, thepopcorn factory ,need I go on, It has been warm in the bakery but being a bakery it USUALLY is.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 06:51
Numpty eh?

How the hell on earth can you tar me with that brush when it is you that works at Fosters?
I think tis you that should be labelled numpty for working there.
Hope you are enjoying your job in the oven Andy poos.

Reply Posted by andy on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 09:12
Its on the ovens numpty and as for calling you that i know what i'm talking about you obviously don't.

Reply Posted by Kyle on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 20:59
Just because temperatures are regularly high in workplaces doesn't mean it's right to allow it to happen. Obviously there would be exceptions in trades that require high temperatures but i believe in places like bakery's it should be regulated.

Reply Posted by Robert on Monday July 22 2013 at 11:45
Well, the MP is clearly a fool on all counts isn't she. What about people working at Redfearns, or Beatson Clarks in Rotherham? An ill-thought of project from an MP who should know better. Do we honestly pay her over £60,000+ to come up with such stupid ideas? Resign and let someone educated take your place!

Reply Posted by kane on Monday July 22 2013 at 11:50
I agree Stevo all it would take is air conditioning, not much considering his business staff can then carry on comfortably. Thinking about himself! Bet he loved being inside his 'colder' bakery than outside when there's people who had to work outside and graft the bottoms off carting heavy steel ALL day up and down scaffolding. Last year we had one lad pass out at the end of the day, he'd pushed himself too far, the company gave him 2 weeks paid break... even though he was self employed! Just goes to show who's out to cream all the money and who helps these hard working people when its really needed.

Reply Posted by TowdAl on Monday July 22 2013 at 11:52
Mr Foster Is Correct. What Would Happen If You Went To The Shop For Bread & There Was None.Because The Bakery Had Shut Down Because It Was Too Hot. The Country Would Be In Uproar. As For Employing People From Eastern Europe, Just Take A look Around At Other Large Companies. These Migrant Workers Have Come To The Uk And Are Working Extremely Hard For Their Pay. The Next Time You Pick Up Some Boston New Potatoes Or A Cauliflower Remember That It Was Probably A Migrant Worker Who Picked It, Because Lazy Arsed Brits Wont Do The Work!
Well Done John Foster. One Of Barnsley's Larger Employers.

Reply Posted by kath on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:17
well said towdAl

Reply Posted by mr c on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:28
so who picked the spuds or cauliflowers before the migrant workers came to britain?,could it have been the lazy arsed brits?the migrant workers are only here cos they can earn more money in a week here than they can earn in a month back home.plus they have free hospital treatment over here where as back home they would have to pay for it,i work with several poles who have been over here since 2005 and who still cannot speak english,i mean if you were going to work in a foreign country you should at least have the decency to learn the language before you arrive.and as for fosters well all they need is good air conditioning and the they wouldn't have to close when it got too hot.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Monday July 22 2013 at 16:57
mr c, you cannot mention immigrant workers on this forum as polictically correct idiots like Hoyland Red, Brian and a few others will tell you that you are "racist" for daring to speak about immigrant workers.

Foster will not spend the money, he is a tightwad, he employs a load of mainly Latvians to keep his costs down and profits up.

Shows the calibre of Foster in his reply to the proposals.

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday July 22 2013 at 17:17
Stevo - I would certainly not describe myself as being 'politically correct' and I would ask you not to do that either.

Reply Posted by andy on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 18:26
Polish now Stevo.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 20:18
Racist !! English only - remember?

Reply Posted by Stevo on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 06:48
Short memory Idiot, The English only bit was from a post which was not mine.

You need to get a life, you also seem to spend a lot of time on here are you a benefit scrounger?

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 22:09
Find your post and read it again.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Thursday July 25 2013 at 06:22
Find my post and read it and the post below it again.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Thursday July 25 2013 at 13:14
Ohhh dear Stevo - the old "I didn't mean to type that" get out.

Did you also really mean to type "are you a benefit scrounger"? What if I am on benefits - does this make me a scrounger? Are all people on benefits scroungers Stevo? and you the voice of the common man.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Thursday July 25 2013 at 15:55
Hahahaha straight into the trap old bean.

Do I REALLY have to spell it out for you, here i'll try again...
The English "comment" was a paste and or direct reference to the post that (forget his name) put on, merely typed to draw you out from the shadows as it were, as was the benefit scroungers comment.

I couldn't give a monkeys about what people think about my comments if something is worth saying then i'll say it.
Unfortunately politically correct doo gooders such as yourself spin my forthright comments into something entirely different.

So to recap, you suggest that I am a left wing / right wing ,militant with Nazi tendencies, hahahaha

If you are going to play the game with me then you are going to have to sharpen up.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Friday July 26 2013 at 12:35
Stevo,
You're all over the place man. Think before typing - left wing/right wing what are you talking about?
So to recap - in a previous post you asked me what is wrong with English people for English jobs which wasn't actualy a direct cut and paste but something you'd typed whether it be a direct reference or not - you typed it. You do think whilst you're typing don't you? then you come out with it's all a cunning plan to draw me out of the shadows - priceless! I do like the term politicaly correct - it gives you feeling that actually it's what a reasonable person would think - so take that chip off your shoulder and broaden your mind.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Friday July 26 2013 at 13:15
Re - Yes I did post the English comment, it was in direct reference to the other post which whats his name put on.
Again, as you had jumped down the original posters throat for DARING to post such a BLASPHEMOUS comment about English (british) jobs for English (british) people I thought I would reply to your post just to try and instil a bit of reason into you and your politically correct way of thinking.
Re - Cunning plan, did or did I not ask you if you were a benefit "scrounger" as you seem to spend a hell of a lot of time on here? (FYI I don't like that word as it is linked to the Tories and their propaganda papers)
Re - Left wing / Right wing - On one of my posts you insinuated that I had "Nazi" tendencies, remember the Blonde haired / Blue eyed comment?
Yet in another older post you call me a socialist Militant?

The shoulders are very wide and can carry large burden, but there is most certainly no chip.
The mind is very broad and knows a hell of a lot of stuff.

Tis you that is all over the place old bean.
Now why not go for a long walk its a beautiful day.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Friday July 26 2013 at 13:45
Stevo, I might just do that actually but before I do just point me in the right direction where I deemed you to be a socialist militant and and if you find it I'll stand corrected - ohh and don't hide behind the 'can't remember where scenario'.
It's a test for you - one that might be based on the foundation of your 'argument' you know whether Stevo makes things up to try to belittle people. Now the reference to blond hair and blue eyes I stand behind - In my mind I'm quite clear how far right your views are.
Back in an hour - toodle pip.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Friday July 26 2013 at 16:25
Firstly, theres literally dozens of my posts that you have replied to and to be honest I cant be bothered to look back through them all.
Secondly, if you think I am a Nazi or have Nazi tendencies then why not just come out and say it instead of pussy footing around?
I am far from right wing, I wouldn't like to pigeon hole myself but you could say i'm more radical/common sense party.
There is no trying to belittle people on my posts, if someone puts something utterly ridiculous on then I will react and reply with my own views on the matter.
Seems the beef you have with me is my constant posting about immigrant workers.
You don't really seem to have a clue on this matter either.
I have given you statistics and my own personal experiences of trying to compete against immigrants but it doesn't seem to sink in.
Heres what I think, you either have a very good job that allows you plenty of time to post on here (a council employee perhaps?) or, someone on benefits who has plenty of time to post on here and finally a retiree who has nothing better to do?

You are also to be commended for not answering my question if you are on benefits or not.

Your constant politically correct namby pamby attitudes to a multitude of posts on here get on my nerves and I will constantly berate you for your idiocy and lack of common sense and just for the record, I aint going nowhere so get used to it.
I look forward to locking horns with you more many a year to come.

Bck to the topic in hand, i'm not sure a workplace temperature limit is necessary, in many industries workers are allowed extra breaks to ensure they are not exposed to radiant heat for no longer than absolutely necessary.
Obviously a form of air conditioning would be of great benefit, but as I have pointed out earlier, the majority of employers are not interested in the welfare of their employees they are just interested in the bottom line.

Reply Posted by eyes on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:01
The difference is some of us do strenuous physically demanding work in stupid temperatures with ignorant bosses like mr foster who sit in air conditioned offices all day, fosters is all par baked crap from bako anyway not really that demanding to take stuff out of the freezer and heat it up!

Reply Posted by Stevo on Monday July 22 2013 at 14:27
So WAB have removed some of my posts yet again?

There was nothing that could have been termed "derogatory" in any comments that I made, merely stating facts as an ex employee of Fosters.

Reply Posted by J on Monday July 22 2013 at 14:38
I cnt wait til this is passed. I work at asos and even before the heat wave ppl wer passing out almost everyday. They are tryin t save money by nt gettin aircon, nw they won't have a choice.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday July 22 2013 at 15:47
yes there should be an upper limit. I work in a shop and the heat hits you as soon as you walk in, having to work all week in 34 degrees is disgusting , why do they think aircon was invented but they don't like spending money to keep their workers comfortable.....sweatshop factory abroad springs to mind, drains you physically and mentally, sooner they bring this out the better

Reply Posted by m on Monday July 22 2013 at 19:09
get off yer lazy arses an get a job ,I worked min steelindustry 30 degrees in winter off scale int summer an air con waste of time

Reply Posted by b on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 00:53
stevo im might not spell right good but iv never moaned about my job which iv had since leaving school at 16 iv worked through rain sleet snow and sunshine
if you want to put your feet in other people wellies thats your bloody fault more fool you and dont spout health and safety you should have said no
and as a mater of fact i have worked there last summer when work at my place was slack i did 3 weeks driving the truck taking bread to the warehouse
and if you work i bet your one of these militant arsehole that call strike at every little thing
so iv worked for the last 31 years for the same company just got on with it kept my head down and done my work....bet you cant say the same can you stevo

Reply Posted by Stevo on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 06:49
Nice try old bean...

Yes your grammar is shocking (Les?) and your incessant rambling posts are highly contradictory, no don't get it? Want me to explain?

31 years working at the same company but you worked at fosters for three weeks while your place was "slack"?

Theres only one thing that's slack my pedigree chum and that is you, if you cant hold a coherent conversation with "grown ups" then why not take in something more fitting for one that hath such dazzling intellect?
Such as the Dandy or Beano.

Reply Posted by b on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 16:31
yep thought id get an answer like that from a dole scrounger
as said militant arsehole that calls everone else except himself coz he,s right and nothing else matters
dandy,beano,my favourite reads of he week
grow a spine and do a days work ya knob

Reply Posted by Stevo on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 17:57
Dole Scrounger?

Worked for 27 years and have only been unemployed for two weeks in that whole time.

TTFN

Reply Posted by g on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 20:18
i can remember over 30yrs ago beatsons a clarkes at stairfoot used to move workers out of certain areas for certain breaks when temps were up

Reply Posted by mustapha phag on Saturday July 27 2013 at 07:33
I love it when everybody talks dirty.
Hot and sticky bodys getting into a broiling.
Back to the problem.
Get some cooling systems in your over heated business you tight arse.
How much profit do you take how much wage do you pay.
Have some consideration for your workers. or ill take you for naked walk in bavaria at 2am when its -22 and see how you like working in extremes.
I wouldnt work for anyone with a bolshi attitude like you .mr foster

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday July 27 2013 at 21:55
stevo in response to your reply I am sure that an individual of your superior intellect would not need the basics of grammar pointing out to you, as it forms the basis of many of your arguments on here. In regards to the question of your gender your user name assumes that you would be male, although you can be identified as anything you want.
I'd also like to point out that I have never claimed to work in a shop, nor do I have a job in one in the first place. Isn't that a tad presumptuous of yourself?
( I should probably point out that you yourself should at least try to check your spelling before trying to mock others in order to seem superior)
Bearing this in mind, I congratulate you on your tenacity to work despite your medical condition, and I do hope the heat isn't hindering you too much. However I must ask; with all this spare time you have due to only sleeping for a few hours each night, do you really consider the time you spend on this website as putting this time to the best of your advantage? I strongly encourage you to find more positive ways to put your time to use- perhaps take up a hobby which doesn't include slagging people off online. Perhaps then you'd be able to socialise more and realise that someone's spelling and grammar online doesn't correlate to how they are as a person, and does not give you the right to attack them as an individual.

No, I have never met you offline, but make no mistake that if how you act in real life is anything like how you act here I count my blessings that I never have the misfortune of doing so. I hope this also clears up the fact that I don't stalk you in "real life". I find it amusing that you'd think I find you that interesting or worth the time in the first place. With that in mind, I hope you aren't offended if I don't reply back to anything you have to say to this. You see, unlike you I have better things to do which don't include inciting internet rows, and I find the whole ordeal quite uninteresting. I can only hope that perhaps one day you'd share my view on this, of course I won't hold my breathe given your maturity.

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday July 27 2013 at 22:09
After rereading through a couple of messages on this site, I felt it necessary to add this small edition, given that I realise you may decide to jump down my throat later on if I did not: I should've pointed out that the anon you were referring to who was working in a shop is not the same anon as I, the one who's message you replied to. Please bear this in mind next time you jump to conclusions, it tends to make you look less intelligent when you get called out on it.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Sunday July 28 2013 at 11:25
Wow that was rather long wasn't it.
Hobbies, well I already have quite a few, fishing, beer naturally and I have my own website, No its not www.stevo.com or www.stevoisgod.co.uk or anything like that, you would be quite surprised really.
Oh and its not a left wing / right wing/ fascist site either.
I also run two community groups and tend the local community garden, so I don't really have a lot of spare time.

Grammar also doesn't interest me, I only bring it up when someone criticises my own grammar.
As for inciting internet rows, as mentioned before previously I will add my comments to any post that I feel utterly ridiculous, and lets be brutally honest there are quite a few on here.
If something is worth saying then i'll say it.
I am dumfounded by some of the idiocy I see on this very forum everyday and despair about what our town and society in general hath become.

As for being offended, I have broad shoulders and a very thick skin and have to add, this is only a platform for one to air ones views in cyberspace is it not?

I also appreciate that you admire my tenacity to overcome my debilitating medical condition and my hard work, other mere mortals would have thrown on the sick for life years ago, but as you have no doubt guessed I am truly a special person.

Yes you do not know me in real life, the real life Stevo is a p*ss taking b*stard and is very tongue in cheek and ironic,exactly the same as the Stevo online persona, but some folk just don't get irony do they and I find myself having to explain more and more to people on this forum just what irony is.

Just read your post below Re - Intelligence, well I am fairly intelligent and hand code HTML with my eyes shut, but In my job of work I am an engineer which requires manual dexterity and other technical capabilities so I would suggest that I am quite intelligent, although as you rightly conclude my grammar does sometimes let me down, tis not the end of the earth though as the job I do does not require me to write anything down so don't worry your little head about that one.

I'm glad you wrote a long rambling post about me at least it means that you are looking and gives my ego quite a boost.

The final question I have to ask you is ,if you have better things to do than post on here then why post at all?

Reply Posted by mustapha phag on Monday July 29 2013 at 18:07
Whoooo. stevo why are you giving anon all this space in your life.
Anon is not a name.
Not like my variety of a k a