Mother Claims Son Is Being Bullied Because Of Hair Colour

Tuesday July 23 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

A MOTHER claims her ten-year-old son is being bullied at school - because he has ginger hair.

Christine Caulfield said her son, Owen, who attends Joseph Locke Primary, has been called names including 'gingernut' and has been punched and kicked in the playground.

Christine, of Rowland Road, Gawber, said the bullying began in September and Owen even had his thumb broken on one occasion.

She said: "One boy kicked his hand and broke his thumb. The boy wasn't excluded and was even allowed to play football at Barnsley Football Club. I was annoyed because it seemed the headteacher was rewarding badly-behaved kids."

She said Owen was also assaulted in the playground by a boy.

The boy was given a suspension but it was wavered because his parents couldn't take the time off work.

"I know Owen's not an angel. He's ten, he's lively and he's got a big mouth but he knows where the line is," said Christine.

"He's been put into different sets and he's eating his lunch in the IT room because he doesn't want to go outside because he thinks that someone is going to hit him.

"He can't even play with his friends any more and it was him who had been assaulted. It's like they've removed Owen instead of dealing with the bullies. I don't see why he should be victimised twice."

Christine said she had seen headteacher Keith Armitage but was not satisfied with the meeting.

Mr Armitage said: "I can't comment on individual pupils, it would be very inappropriate.

"We have very high standards of behaviour and that has been recognised in all recent Ofsted reports.

"If parents have any issues or concerns then everyone at the school, including myself, will be available to deal with them and go through the usual ways to make sure bullying and any kind of disruption is identified and addressed effectively.

"Because we do have very effective behaviour policies and very high standards of behaviour, that's why we're very popular with parents."

Reply Posted by John on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 10:40
I know of Owen, only because my ginger haired son was usually called mini Owen at Joseph Locke! The kids never called him by his own name they just called him mini Owen.
We had lots of issues at school & I just assumed it was because he was quiet, but maybe his hair colour was the cause.
I myself went to speak to mr armitage a few times about the issues, black eye, head butted, kicked.....but he basically said my son needs to stand up for himself & all boys play rough!!!
He's moved schools now thank goodness

Reply Posted by sarah e on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 10:40
This is a disgrsace my son is ginger but is only 3 it does scare me that he wjll get bullied this teacher is a disgrace no wonder kids of today turn into crime and drugs when they don't get phnished for being bullys chin up girl make sure u tell ur son he is perfect everyday and bullys always get there comeupance

Reply Posted by Tracy on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 10:41
they always say that .. "it doesnt happen in our school " RUBBISH .. my advice would be to be in close contact with the bulling section of the police and the education welfare department . teachers are too scared to do anything these days and yes children DO get bullied over the colour of their hair , just like the they get bullied over the clothes they wear . it makes me sick to think in this day and age things haven't changed at all . Hope the ladys son comes out of this x x x

Reply Posted by he on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 10:54
Being ginger myself, I've lived through the entire story myself, it happens a lot more than people think

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 11:01
My son was bullied here and was made out to be a liar when I went into school. He has been given black eyes, hit in the face, kicked, nipped and spat on and he is only 5 years old! He doesn't have ginger hair just some horrible little boys in his year!

Reply Posted by Tracy on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 11:09
If the school has this attitude I would defo remove him and find a better school that deals appropriately with bully's

Reply Posted by Oz on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 11:15
My daughter hasn't got ginger hair but she has been bullied at her school by boys. You would think that parents would teach their kids that its wrong fro boys to hit girls, but no. My daughter gets on with everyone and is very popular and we were told this is why the boys are hitting her.Apparently it is their way of getting her attention because they like her. She is 7, she isn't even thinking about boys, but they are trying to kiss her. What has this country come to.

Reply Posted by jan, on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 11:30
years ago when my daughter got bullied, it only stopped when I approached the kids involved myself, not the best way to solve it, but was the only thing that worked. also if there is assault issues, just go straight to police

Reply Posted by fawkes on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 11:32
The problem with the schools is.Its the poor kids that get bullied that gets punished.Its usually them that has to up root ,find a new school, try to find new friends in a enviroment that is alien to them.Whilst the bully get to stay with his circle of followers free to move on to the next victim.

Reply Posted by DAW on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 11:33
Sadly this will never change until society changes as a whole. I had the misfortune of enduring school with ginger hair and it still effects me to this day, 30 years on. Sadly it's still deemed acceptable to ridicule someone because they have ginger hair. Even on mainstream TV it's still acceptable. For example it's still okay to call someone a 'ginger whinger' or a 'ginger tosser', but replace the word 'ginger' with 'Paki' or 'fat' or 'specky' or 'black' and this is rightly frowned upon. Until this changes it will still be acceptable to persecute someone for having ginger hair. A sad state in this day and age.

Reply Posted by lisa on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 11:44
I have two girls both with red and they have been bullied over the hair colour to the extent my eldest had a big chunk cut out of her. My eldest got so fed up she died her hair colour my youngest wants to.

Reply Posted by believer of bob on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 11:46
teach ya kids to stand up for themselves in long run it will do them good

Reply Posted by Dinky on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 12:06
Its sad to say but kids do get bullied for being ginger. I've seen it and heard it happen. Its sad. Being ginger should be something to be happy about because you are unique due to the hair colour being rare.

Reply Posted by Gary on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 13:14
it happens and it always will.........ginger, fat, wears glasses, spotty
get on with it

Reply Posted by Kay on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 13:41
I have ginger hair and I was bullied no end at school I moved to 4 different high schools you would have thought that times would have changed by now!

Reply Posted by Was Ginger on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 14:41
Believe me, they will grow up pretty tough! I'm grey now but had a reddest hair imaginable when I was a kid......There was only two of us from the infants way up through the seniors.

Reply Posted by lyndon on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 16:01
I don't think you'd be saying "get on with it" if it was your child getting bullied and coming home with a broken thumb. This surprises me in this pc age, i thought all schools adopted tough anti-bullying policies these days. The named school clearly needs to get its house in order sharpish

Reply Posted by Emma on Tuesday July 23 2013 at 20:44
Children should be safe at school. I'm shocked to read all of the comments on here. I can't believe that young kids are going to school and being assaulted and teachers don't seem to be taking it seriously. It makes me wonder what kind of horrible adults these bullies are going to grow into, especially when they are allowed to get away with it. If I was a parent of one of these poor kids having to go to school and deal with this, I'd be approaching the local safeguarding team and see what they have to say about it. Schools have a legal obligation in he safeguarding of children and should be doing so.

Reply Posted by becki on Saturday July 27 2013 at 16:22
Yes, it is wrong that teachers can just brush what is happening off but surely the bullies parents need talking to, If my daughter ever bullied anyone I wouldn't let her get away with it. People rely on teachers to do too much of a parents job these days.

Reply Posted by Russ on Saturday July 27 2013 at 16:23
Penistone Grammar was like this when I was a growing up as they don't like to admit they have a bullying problem!

Reply Posted by James murphy on Saturday July 27 2013 at 16:35
My grandson as ginger hair and is only 3 and all ready he as been called names at school but he is as hard as nails and stands up for himself it's the only way.

Reply Posted by betty on Saturday July 27 2013 at 17:22
I heard Joseph locke was bad for bullying and so refused the place offered to me for my child there.

Reply Posted by Ginger and proud on Saturday July 27 2013 at 17:28
I got bullied at school for having ginger hair at one point I got kicked in the head it finally stopped in year ten when I turned around on them its not nice been bullied at school but unfortunately it happens and always will I stayed at my school and glad I did running away is never the answer ur son needs to be strong and stand his ground. Don't let nasty lil children spoil his education moving school won't solve anything cos there's bullies at every school xx

Reply Posted by kaz on Saturday July 27 2013 at 17:35
Its an ongoing fact that children call other children hurtful names and i grew up at primary school with diabetes and was labeled "diabetic dope" (30 yrs ago when diabetes was not common) school n heads are not intrested in sorting this as they see it has harmless and if it only happens in playgroung it aint effecting learning time! I feel parents sjould be informed and held accountable for their kids actions!! Disciplin and manners are not sadly in every childs daily routine! Hope now this story brings an end to the harsh unfair name calling!

Reply Posted by Dawnc on Saturday July 27 2013 at 18:12
There's nowt more crueler than Kids when it comes to name calling but the teachers should know better and sort it out. Inform the parents of the bullies who'd soon sort it out if they thought they were to be expelled and that meant under their feet at home or get the name of the kids and see they're parents your self.

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday July 27 2013 at 19:19
All schools in the UK have an anti-bullying policy, we, who work in schools do our up most to teach acceptance and thoughtfulness for others. You might want to focus your comments toward the parents of the spoilt kids that think they're a cut above the others and those that refuse to teach their kids these morals because they think they should all fight back to solve the issues. Maybe they should try seeing it from our side too, we are the educators Not their parents! Surely they are the ones responsible.

Reply Posted by mustapha phag on Saturday July 27 2013 at 20:55
Got to come in really handy when you get older and go to a gingers only strip club.
Or a glasses only astronomy group.
Or a blondes interview for a blonde in a film.
The trouble with this subject is. its got boring beyond logic.
Ii dont know how many times i comment on this subject alone.
You you you are to blame and you dont even read or catch on as to why you all talk as though you never went to school or your parents or grandparents.
There is a word called bullying and its one of those bandwagon words.
It means something but nothing.
It cannot be defined as one meaning but can be a thousand meanings.
To make it simple.
If you are an indian or any where from central asia you will call them a paki even though they may never have been to pakistan.that is bullying
there are woman with brown hair who will say im having a blonde moment.
Thats bullying.
You will buy your child a £100 pair of trainers and send him to school with people whos family can ill afford £25 trainers .
How many of you will talk about the fat man or woman next door.
How many of you have called people specky four eyes. spaka. ginger nut icould go on and on and on.
Human beings are so judgemental about things little realising that it is instilled in you from the beginning of time and thati is..sounds. yes we can speak.
Bullying an racism as some do gooders like to call it is a child like referance to.
I havnt got.
Youve got ginger hair i have not
you have got glasses i have not .
It will allways be the same until the earth dies.
Every living organism on the planet bullys something else its called survival of the fittest

Reply Posted by Pauline on Saturday July 27 2013 at 21:30
Bullying only goes on in schools because adults there allow it. Name calling not only has an affect on the child's self esteem and confidence but on their academic performance. Teachers have a duty of care. Physical assault is a crime and the police should be informed if the teachers do not put a stop to the assaults. If it happens again change school or take them out altogether.

Reply Posted by mustapha phag on Sunday July 28 2013 at 01:06
Pauline
this is what im talking about.
You dont take anything in.
What part of my letter did you not understand. how many police hours would you think it would take through the country everyday for one year.
What school would you change your child to.
And as far as im aware teachers do not have a duty of care . they get paid to teach maths geography english etc not to work out what 100.000 years of evolution has done .
Im sure adolph hitlers teacher pondered on where he went wrong. not

Reply Posted by lol on Monday August 5 2013 at 07:28