Drastic Changes Made To Improve School

Friday July 19 2013

Carlton Community College Carlton Community College

DRASTIC measures including replacing a third of its teachers are taking place at a Barnsley school to improve its performance.

Carlton Community College's headteacher, Neil Hutchinson, said a third of teachers are to be replaced, with new staff coming from as far as Australia and Canada to teach in September.

Twenty new teachers will be employed at the school with ten teachers from the UK, he said. They will start in September.

"I think it brings us a wider view of the world. We're able to look at the best field possible so we have interviewed these people against people from England," Mr Hutchinson said.

"What we've said is that we won't employ anybody that is not at least good or an outstanding teacher."

The move comes on the back of the school's recent Ofsted report in May.

It was the fourth monitoring inspection since the school went into special measures in January 2012.

Special measures is Ofsted's lowest grade of failing school.

Inspectors said satisfactory progress had been made since the last inspection in March, but inadequate progress had been made since the school went into special measures.

Reply Posted by mark on Friday July 19 2013 at 14:33
Why can't the jobs go to British citizens instead of going abroad. Lol piss take again. All down to money as the ones from abroad won't get as much

Reply Posted by Jayne on Friday July 19 2013 at 14:35
These super schools are a really bad idea. CCC is a prime example but I know a lot of other schools are the same. Who knows what the future of this country holds because if our education is anything to go by, were all screwed

Reply Posted by CS on Friday July 19 2013 at 14:37
Does the buck not stop at the top anymore? Get rid of the headteacher as well if 20 of his staff are not up to scratch!

Reply Posted by Craig on Friday July 19 2013 at 15:10
Head and the governing body need replacing first if things are so bad.

Reply Posted by Mrs H on Friday July 19 2013 at 15:16
@ Mark - teachers get paid depending on their experience, not their country of origin.

Reply Posted by Someone on Friday July 19 2013 at 15:22
Head and governing body have been replaced once. this is the new guy. what they're not telling you is that the 20 teachers that are being 'replaced' are having to be replaced because they've left, because the school is so diabolical, not because the head removed them. no one wants to work there now. another 20 teachers were removed. my daughter says the school is falling to pieces. low moral, behavioral issues. the kids basically run the place. wonder how long these new teachers last? my daughter left in june. the only reason she was still there was because i didn't want to disrupt her exams. she's lucky in that she will get the results she wants due to the decent teachers she had. it's these decent teachers that are now leaving. it's only a matter of time before the school goes into complete decline. the building isn't even big enough, and the layout is terrible. the parents said it when it was happening, but the merger and subsequent super school was a terrible idea. its the future of our children that will suffer.

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday July 19 2013 at 17:25
Why is it that everyone always complains that too many foreigners come over here and live on benefits etc but then when foreigners come over and are working for a living in a highly qualified position, people are still complaining? This country's residents are becoming far too racist. If they are willing to do a job and can do it better than some of the British idiots can then why not? As long as my kids are being taught well and the national curriculum is not being ignored, I am happy whether they are English, Canadian, Australian or bloody anywhere else..........it doesn't matter.

Reply Posted by Jo on Friday July 19 2013 at 17:31
It's a joke this school.i received a letter this morning saying that if my child as 5 days of school I will be punished with a 60 pound fine.wtf.if they did a register 1 st thing then again after dinner like it used 2 b,instead of every lesson then they would get the attendance right.stupid school.x

Reply Posted by Anon on Sunday October 20 2013 at 16:27
Yes... That's right. An excellent idea. If your child is not in school first thing for registration and then every subsequent registration throughout the school day, then they are not in school and are truanting. If your child misses five days of school, it is five days of school they will need to catch up on. It is the parents responsibility, by law, that a child attends school. A £60 fine is the least of your worries. Repeat offending results in criminal charges. You can be sent to prison for failing to ensure that your children go to school. BTW, capital letters after full stops. In addition, your post makes little grammatical sense. Do not use text speak when making your point about how 'stupid' this school is.

Reply Posted by Mark on Friday July 19 2013 at 19:25
With the look of you spelling Jo, it appears that you may also have missed a few lessons at school. No doubt your school report said 'must do better and remember to attend classes'

Reply Posted by Anon on Sunday October 20 2013 at 16:27
'Like'

Reply Posted by Mark on Friday July 19 2013 at 19:25

Reply Posted by Someone on Friday July 19 2013 at 22:01
the point of registering each lesson is so that children are less likely to play truant, and for health and safety / safeguarding issues. i'm sure you wouldn't appreciate your child being registered in the am, then them leaving the premises for the next 3 hours, staff having no idea whether they're supposed to be in school or not, and then a fire or similar happening!! if your child isn't at the lesson on time, then they aren't registered. maybe you should be having a word with your child about attendance / punctuality, rather than having a go about a system which works ok for the majority of the masses. I, for one, have never received a letter, as my daughter made sure she was on time and registered!

Reply Posted by someone on Friday July 19 2013 at 22:08
I must say that according to my experience neil Hutchinson, the head, is doing his utmost to get this school on track but it takes teamwork to get to your goal.... lets hope the new teachers can get it together for the sake of our community. My daughter left in June due to bullying issues which I do think ccc r still in denial even though champions have been set up. Personally you can not have pupils running the discipline of the school which seems to b happening at present.. good luck Neil cos I think u will need it and I have heard miss Thornton has left... personally I never liked the woman but I think the feelings were mutual

Reply Posted by Gill on Friday July 19 2013 at 23:33
Half of the champions are bullies themselves, one yr 10 pupil who is a champion threatened my friends son, a year 7 pupil and nothing got done about it. So that obviously doesn't work when they have people abusing the system and their position.
I also prefer the registration at every lesson, at least I know my children are safe and in lessons where they should be. As for teachers coming from different countries, I couldn't give a damn where they are from as long as the school has stability and structure and my children are going to get a good education.

Reply Posted by Ged on Sunday July 21 2013 at 13:36
So the inmates are running the asylum. It needs a strong head and SMT to pull this around and it can only be done with discipline, not only for the pupils but the staff also. It's too easy for some staff to 'play the good guy' leaving others to maintain order. Management should support staff when they report incidents and encourage all staff to do so rather than simply view them as 'poor teachers' because they can't control a class when in fact they care enough to do something about it. Sadly some teachers who don't maintain discipline can be regarded as better teachers because they 'don't have problems' simply because they don't report them. Fill the Sin Bin if that's what it takes to regain control, but regain control of the teaching you must.

As for parents, they should support the school in their efforts to turn things around and not presume that their kid is a victim rather than a cause of the problem.

Reply Posted by Graham on Sunday July 21 2013 at 23:09
Barnsley councillors and their highly paid educational advisors believe that large schools are the answer to the educational needs of local children. I have never worked in the field of education and it is extremely unlikely that I ever will. However, I know that in the main, large schools do not work and that smaller units are much preferable and provide a better learning environment. If a fool like me knows this, why don't the so-called experts know it?

Reply Posted by Anon on Sunday October 20 2013 at 16:34
A fair point. But Barnsley has a HUGE number of young people to educate. Schools are challenging to set up. You need land, money, contractors, time, equipment, teachers and management to name but a few. Could you imagine the difficulty in setting up schools in Barnsley that could only take 400 - 500 pupils each .It would take years, put a huge amount of strain on the LA and would not really be planning ahead as more and more children are born in Barnsley with each passing year. It is educational need vs. practicality I'm afraid. And practicality will always win when you have budgetary constraints imposed upon you by a national department for education. Why not set up your own free school? You could do that if you really wanted to. Then you might see how difficult the decision making processes actually are and why the provision in Barnsley is the way it is today.

Reply Posted by schoolworker on Monday July 22 2013 at 07:13
i work in a super school not ccc and i think of myself as a strict but fair member of the team i am not a teacher, but on a daily basis have to speak to children that have done wrong.. can you suggest to me how i can do my job better because shouting doesnt work, detentions dont work if we take them out of mainstream for the day the kids laugh in your face, our hands are tied.
a pupil was sent home the other day and within half an hour the parents were face to face with me blaming me for disciplining their child because it was my fault the child had done wrong yea your little angel can never do wrong......its always easy to blame others.
maybe the parent of students at CCC should support the school not slag the place down...maybe they should set up a voluntary parents group where parents go in and support the staff on a daily basis that way they would get an onsite view of childrens behaviour.

Reply Posted by lesley on Monday July 22 2013 at 13:49
I don't agree with Superschools at all. I don't know which idiots designed that school, but when you go to parents evening and see the layout of these classrooms, which are open plan, so that the children can hear what's going on in rooms either side of them, you have to wonder what bloody planet the architects are on and whether any of them have kids ! Superschools are far too large and for the record, it's the place of the parent, not the teacher, to discipline children ...that's where respect for your elders and betters starts - at home ! If teachers discipline the kids, then the parents should be backing the teachers up, not defending their little 'angels' !

Reply Posted by Gill on Monday July 22 2013 at 15:11
I support the school 100% One of my sons can be a bit of pain at times in school but he acts on what others do to him, which finally has been brought to light. I won't excuse his behaviour though, he should be the bigger person and walk away.. If he is punished at school and sent home then he is also grounded. It really is that simple. The schools have a hard enough job as it is and I agree with Lesley, Discipline starts at home.

Reply Posted by Teacher1 on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 21:26
Those teachers will have left because of behaviour problems. Just to clarify, teachers are paid on the same pay scale based on how many years service you have done. I left the UK and now teach abroad due to paperwork but more to the point, disgusting behaviour that can only be blamed on parenting. These foreign teachers will soon go home when they realise what they have let themselves into. Why any Canadian or Australian would come and teach here is beyond me? Their systems and behaviour are way beyond better than ours. I wouldn't work in this country again if you offered me all the tea in China!

Reply Posted by BDK on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 21:29
Having read several of the comments relating to this story I feel it necessary to point one thing out,it's seems to me(without any evidence by the way!) that respect for teachers as gone by the way side over the years.I know I'm an old fogey but as us old fogies say,"in my day you daren't say boo to a teacher or you'd get a clip round the ear,not that I condone this action but the very thought of a clip got you thinking,should I be saying this to a teacher,lol.....as usual the do gooders put their two pennuth in and I'm sure it demoralises teachers of present day and of past years,blame the do gooders to a degree,no respect end of !!

Reply Posted by Annoyed on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 21:30
My daughter has suffered a campaign of abuse from gangs of bullies at CCC for the past 3 years. Despite countless meetings, mediations and more, the bullying is still relentless. She is failing virtually every subject despite joining the school as a promising 11 year old, although she is finally beginning to catch up with her classes now that she is basically segregated from the rest of the pupils. The 'softly softly' approach they use is clearly failing our children, but the blame must lie with the parents too. Discipline is key here, both at school and at home. Without it, the results are plain to see.

Reply Posted by Hayley on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 21:40
I travel 14 miles to ccc. I do 60 miles a day making sure my daughter has a good education. It might not be a great school but there is horror stories with every school. I chose this school over Wath and don't regret it on bit. My daughter has had a few problems but all was solved straight away. If she is naughty in class they ring me , if she is upset by another child they ring me and if my daughter feels annoyed with a teacher the teacher rings me and everything is sorted out.
What more do you expect a school to do ?

Reply Posted by a mum on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 22:09
Schools need the backing of the parents and the parents and pupils need to feel listened to and valued. We hate traveling on the service bus to and from school and we hardly ever use our local park! Why? Because the swearing, fighting, spitting and vandalism of the (mostly) teens is appalling! I have three boys and would be furious if they behaved that way. I would also be furious with them if they gave adults the abuse I've had when I've spoken out about their behavior. They think they're untouchable!

Reply Posted by Fed up! on Thursday July 25 2013 at 01:02
I work in the education sector, have done for 7 years and things are getting worse. A lot stems from unrealistic ideas from learners. They come thinking there is something really special about them, something that means they don't need to put in any effort whatsoever, as somebody is going to recognise them and pay them a fortune for doing nothing.

We don't help our kids by treating then like lords and inflating their egos, to the point that they believe they are truly unique, when they are at best mediocre. It worries me greatly that they believe they don't have to work, study, attend classes etc. and at the end of it people will be falling over themselves to give them their dream job.

Learners often have terrible attendance and miss work, you call parents and sadly most don't seem concerned. If something goes wrong it's the schools fault. It's depressing.

Often the school/teachers are the only ones that actually give two hoots about the future of this child. You then get stories like this one. 20 members of staff being released and a head that says they won't employ teachers who are not good or outstanding! The grade below good is satisfactory! This means the teacher is doing everything RIGHT. What's wrong with this? How about showing support and helping your colleagues gain skills and confidence and boost their grade up to good and outstanding in their next lesson observation. What grade does the head have I wonder? If teaching staff are cut loose for doing their jobs correctly, then it isn't a wonder that the school is failing if this is the ethos they work by. It makes no sense whatsoever and more importantly, how is yet more upheaval going to help the children, who are already growing up in a lost generation? Stop number crunching and chasing stats and let the teachers do their job, rather than pull them to pieces.

Reply Posted by Fed Up! on Thursday July 25 2013 at 01:17
For people who don't know, teachers are graded during a lesson observation. This means that somebody walks into their lesson and based on their observations of this lesson, grade the teacher. Now, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want the entire safety of my job (one I'd got masses of university debt for and gone through teacher training for) to be placed upon 1 hour out of the entire year.

If your boss were to decide your entire future in your job tomorrow morning, based on 1 hour watching you like a hawk, how would you perform? Would you be your normal self? Would you be under pressure? What if you were just having a bad day? We all have them after all.

Support staff, guide them, respect them and trust them and their judgement. Not threaten staff with having to gain a certain grade, determined by 1 lesson observation, that is more than likely not indicative of what a real lesson is like.

Reply Posted by I know the problem on Thursday July 25 2013 at 05:42
I know first hand why the school is failing. THE HEAD TEACHER. Neil is self centred and has no idea how to manage staff nor a school. It is true that a lot of the staff are leaving as they cannot work with him. Staff that have been with the Authority for a lifetime are leaving without even a thank you. The Head is pulling in staff from other countries, but ultimately when they have worked with him for a while, they too will leave. The Local Authority have brought in a company to manage the failing schools, unfortunately their track record for for doing so is appalling. Their head teachers from the company are paid huge wages but are incapable of running a school.
Neil should resign and they should get a real head teacher in, only then will we see real results.

Reply Posted by king louis on Thursday July 25 2013 at 07:28
private companies trading for profit will bring changes continually

Reply Posted by miker on Thursday July 25 2013 at 09:33
The whole school has to pull together to get it right. This means head teacher, SLT, teachers, teaching assistants, support staff, parents and students. That is the team and the head has to work very hard to pull them all together. Bullying from him does not work and leaves staff demoralized and further unable to cope with potentially disruptive students. To expect teachers to work with classes of 30+ and complete all of the paperwork, marking, lesson preparation, data entry etc without allowing them to actually teach because of the general disruption in the school is not realistic. Schools are now getting run by paperwork and statistics. It is time we got back to teaching students rather than teaching numbers. We have to face it that, in spite of the best intentions of everyone, some students are capable of and not going to get the 5 a's to c's that schools demand and, believe it or not, it is not the teachers fault.