New School Set For Goldthorpe

Thursday July 11 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

A NEW school is set to open in Goldthorpe in late 2015.

The new primary school and nursery, which was planned as part of the Goldthorpe masterplan, will be located on a cleared site in central Goldthorpe, just off the Doncaster Road/Main Street area.

The existing Goldthorpe Primary School is more than 100 years old and currently requires an estimated £1.3million worth of repairs.

It's also recognised that the school isn't big enough to cope with the projected population growth for the area.

Cllr Roy Miller said the new school would act as a catalyst for investment in the area and bring a much-needed uplift to Goldthorpe.

“An improved school facility for the children in the Dearne is fantastic and the community has waited for a new school for a number of years, since the regeneration funding was cut,” he said.

“The school will also raise the confidence of businesses and housing developers in Goldthorpe and will we hope make a significant contribution to the future economic prosperity of the area.”

By early August, the last remaining properties on Main Street are due for demolition. A total of 107 properties have been demolished, which have all been secured via negotiation with home owners and businesses.

The economic renewal of Goldthorpe is a key priority for Barnsley Council. In 2012 the council began the consultation process on the potential allocation of 157 hectares of land for employment uses.

There's recently been improvements made to the high street that have improved the appearance of the town centre and there are plans to provide further assistace, subject to funding approval.

Further updates will be provided and the community will be consulted as part of the planning process.

Reply Posted by Brian on Thursday July 11 2013 at 17:38
Goldthorpe and the surrounding areas should be left to rot in their own faeces.

Reply Posted by Jason on Thursday June 26 2014 at 08:22
I think ( Brian). Needs to get a life and have understanding for all types of people
I'm glad he's not a council official lol . I think the school and the regeneration of goldthorpe is a great idea ., it's also overdue ! I live in 1 of the new builds in the area . When someone comes through goldthorpe and looks at houses boarded up it doesn't look good . I think people's first impression count ! And I think this is what gives people the perception of the area , but when you live here its not that bad at tall . if you go to Barnsley or doncaster you'll still get the odd drunk or homeless person . And also the hardworking the same as goldthorpe . Also there's a shortage of houses and the redevelopment of the old houses will create more housing . I hope this makes the people of the surrounding areas understand goldhorpe and that I can be maid into a good decent area . Life and your home is wat you make of it ! . If we was all to think like ( Brian ) we wouldn't have a life
Kind regards Jason

Reply Posted by Jane on Thursday July 11 2013 at 18:40
How dare you! What gives you (Brian) the right to say that, where do you live? There are a lot if hardworking decent people from Goldthorpe and the surrounding areas, me included!

Reply Posted by Lilian on Sunday July 14 2013 at 10:17
Discusting comment Brian,as Jane says,there are many honest and hardworking people in Goldthorpe,and I might add,people willing to work who through no fault of their own,cannot find one.And why should you deny children a new school,when other areas have already had theirs built.Safety is paramount.

Reply Posted by Brian on Sunday July 14 2013 at 16:15

What about the idiots who paraded with an effigy of Baroness Thatcher, I didn't see them doing any hard work did you?

That is exactly why Goldthorpe will never get any money spent on it and rightly so.
You reap what you sow.

Reply Posted by craig on Tuesday July 16 2013 at 18:07
lilian, you can alwasy find work if you want to. that comment was utter bull tripe.
you're just another dole'y like the rest.

Reply Posted by James Grierson on Sunday July 14 2013 at 10:26
Brians a tory. Nailed on!

Reply Posted by Brian on Sunday July 14 2013 at 15:51
I am proud to say that I am a Conservative Party Member.

Reply Posted by Isabel Roberts on Sunday July 14 2013 at 14:24
Our locality needs investment to attract opportunities for growth and prosperity for future generations. This was a prosperous area until Thatcher got her way. This is a decent area with the majority of people hardworking. Unfortunately the area was portrayed unfavourably when people burnt an effigy of her in April. Her policies have led to social deprivation. Obviously Pits may have closed and things move on but to relish in letting an environment rot and people suffer is tantamount to the dictators of other countries we oppose. Education and safe schools for all- not Education for the Elites!

Reply Posted by Beep Beep on Sunday July 14 2013 at 14:30
Ignore Brian as he is a low life from a rough background who has moved to Cawthorne to get away from low lives - or so he says. Basically a troll.

Isaac you have it right we do need schools for all as education is key to a better future for all. Not just halfwits from Cawthorne!!

Reply Posted by Marie on Sunday July 14 2013 at 14:38
Maybe Brian would benefit from some time spent in the new school!!! Wishing Goldthorpe and its people all the best!

Reply Posted by Annonymous on Sunday July 14 2013 at 16:45
I used to live in Goldthorpe an still have family there. My dad was born in Beever Street in 1928 and went to Goldthorpe school when he was 5. I lived there most of my life until i had to move away as when i tried to buy my own house with my husband after being married for 32 years.The new neighbours turned out to be the neighbours from hell. I'm not saying that everyone from Goldthorpe are the same cause like i said i still have family there but we suffered untold misery. The womans boyfriend came out of prison and set fire to our Jeep twice,paint stripped it and completely wrecked it.This was four times too many so we had to move away,so pardon me if i don't jump for joy when you are all saying how delightful it is and bulling everyone up about main street and Goldthorpe school etc but i suffered @ the hands of these bullies.I too am in Education and would fully support a new school but it doesn't matter if they build a new school,new houses or anything Goldthorpe and Thurnscoe will always be the same because of the same people they move back in.

Reply Posted by Annonymous on Sunday July 14 2013 at 17:01
There are far too many outsiders moving in and causing problems for Goldthorpe and the surrounding areas.

Reply Posted by sarah on Sunday July 14 2013 at 19:48
I have been in this area for 19yrs so you could say I am an outsider as I am still treated like one by some of the neighbours. I can see both sides of this argument so if I may have a rant.....I have noticed that most of the village is related to each other and do not like us outsiders coming in and being normal I also have a few good friends who are what I call locals and they have good jobs and lovely well mannered children more so than some in Barnsley.This area has been dragged down by its councillors as well as the locals but a good kick up the backside is all it needs. I wouldnt have sent my dog to the local comp 5 yrs ago but I have had my eyes opened and am now sending my 2 youngest there. As for outsiders coming in and causing problems its the locals I have had most trouble with throwing their weight around thinking they are hard and all that and they do not like getting back what they are giving out either. Other than that I do live on the way out so its not really that bad a place Good luck to the new generation who grow up in Goldthorpe may they see it through different eyes and make it a better place for all to live.

Reply Posted by Brian on Sunday July 14 2013 at 22:58
Goldthorpe is a shithole, the sooner it is bulldozed and its inhabitants exterminated the better as far as I am concerned.

Reply Posted by craig on Tuesday July 16 2013 at 18:09
i fully agree brian and im sure everyone else in barnsley agrees too.
lets sign a petition

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday September 28 2013 at 15:05
God almighty Brian. You remember the ethnic cleansing in Bosnia and how we all said it could never happen here? You are to be despised for your posts. You could and would I fear,lead the ethnic cleansing monsters.
Hang your head in shame for your post,you sound like Hitler,you evil little man.

Reply Posted by Jane on Monday July 15 2013 at 20:37
Brian, God forbid you have to be treated by a nurse, doctor, medic etc who lives in Goldthorpe or the surrounding area! What will you do, refuse their help? You are one very sad, bitter, nasty and bigoted man!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Ryan on Saturday September 28 2013 at 14:42
Goldthorpe is one incredibly nasty place ive had to work there. The main sport there seems to be drink until you wake up in a gutter being jizzed on by tramps.

Reply Posted by Patricia Short on Thursday July 9 2015 at 14:48
Am soo gutted as I just found out my grandmother and her parents, etc. Lived in 92 Main Street and too see history being destroyed is heartbreaking :( I also found out my great-grandfather was a Colliery Hewer. Sad to see the history being demolished all for the sake of a new village and school :'(

Reply Posted by Tim Stott on Sunday November 6 2016 at 01:19
Hi i am trying to research my family who lived in mexborough and Goldthrope. I know a link with 18 beever street and the family names stott and Parton if anyone has any info please let me know