Bedroom Tax Bites As Notices Are Sent To Tenants

Tuesday July 9 2013

Stern warnings issued Stern warnings issued

BERNESLAI Homes has sent out more than 385 notices seeking possession of homes of tenants who are behind with their rent because of so-called 'bedroom tax' payments.

Mark McGee, the director of housing management for Berneslai Homes, said there are 2,600 households in the borough who are affected.

He said June figures for those who owed money show that 734 households had paid their arrears in full, 765 have paid more than 75 per cent - but there are still 232 tenants who haven't paid anything.

He said: "What's beginning to happen is it looks as though people are trying to pay but are struggling and we're trying to give as much help and advice as we can.

"If people want to downsize, we're trying to be more flexible - even if they're in arrears."

He said more than 1,000 reminder letters have been sent out to tenants who are behind with payments, with almost 1,000 'sterner' reminder letters being sent.

"We've also served 385 notices seeking possession of homes, which is the first step in the legal process."

Pat Heath, chief executive of Barnsley Citizen's Advice, said potentially there is a sizeable number of people at risk of losing their homes.

"Hundreds of households in Barnsley could end up becoming homeless and they will have to find somewhere else, increasing the cost to the taxpayer overall.

"The figures give real cause for concern because of the impact on Berneslai Homes in terms of arrears increasing, which isn't going to do their services any good.

"There is also the human impact of people not being able to make payments and keep up with rent payments, that's scary for them as well."

Reply Posted by terry on Tuesday July 9 2013 at 11:20
This will be just the beginning

Reply Posted by steve on Tuesday July 9 2013 at 11:22
we will all end up liveing in boxes

Reply Posted by uknowwho on Tuesday July 9 2013 at 12:08
i top my rent up 134 so why r pple moaning at 14pnd a wk

Reply Posted by Amzz on Tuesday July 9 2013 at 21:42
people are "moaning" as you put it because when you have to rely on benefits and are living hand to mouth £14 is the difference between eating for the week or going hungry, even if the daily mail would have everyone believe that benefit claimants are rolling in dosh!!

Reply Posted by Alex on Tuesday July 9 2013 at 21:56
Do you think Barnsley Council will get you a smaller place? The answer my friend is No! They will put you on a waiting list and still demand their bedroom tax.

Thumbs up for Amzz,

Reply Posted by dawn on Wednesday July 10 2013 at 08:38
although i understand some people are legitimate cases how many are complaining but still drink smoke or even do drugs..priorities are needed

Reply Posted by realist on Wednesday July 10 2013 at 12:41
i really have to laugh at the way peoples minds are manipulated so easily. if you take how much it costs for a single person to be on benefits including rent and council tax it works out at about £9000 a year everyone complains its too much cut the benefits,so what happens people get their benefits cut,get charged bedroom tax etc and end up in debt lose their home and turn to crime to survive, then what? they get sent to prison cost per year to keep them in prison £40,000 where's the sense in that.people need to stop and think by trying to take away from people and making them pay more could actually result in us paying more than we already are

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday July 10 2013 at 16:36
Aww diddums!

Get a job and get it paid, lazy scumbag benefit scroungers

Reply Posted by Amzz on Wednesday July 10 2013 at 16:54
nasty repugnant troll!!

Reply Posted by becky on Thursday July 11 2013 at 09:14
They want to stop benefits to those whos neva worked a day im a single mum who workin n I get NO help!!! N then get screwed over for reducin my hrs.... They have it so easy on dole

Reply Posted by sally on Thursday July 11 2013 at 09:15
people choose to not pay the rent and live beyond their means so its down to them, try cutting down on the fags and booze and time spent in the sun sitting at working mens club why should you have your rent paid by taxpayers so you can live in a bigger property than the people paying there taxes.. reality check I think get a job and if no jobs in Barnsley relocate go to where the jobs are its not rocket science you don't have to live in the same area all your life move on

Reply Posted by bona on Thursday July 11 2013 at 09:20
well said sally....

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday July 11 2013 at 09:44
I agree Sally, they are jobs out there, their just picky or just don't want to work I'm 26 and have been working since i was 17. If the property is too big they move to a smaller one and let a family who needs one take the bigger property, after all they are only living there and getting it all paid for them anyways. Yesterday i noticed a woman petitioning at the bottom of Summer Lane about the bedroom tax, had banners and balloons up, handing out flyers having a BBQ if she can afford all that then why not just pay it, and left all the rubbish so walking past this morning the council had to clean it all up, more tax payers money gone to waste. Gets me mad.

Reply Posted by Craig on Thursday July 11 2013 at 09:29
Well myself a tax payer since leaving school thinks this bedroom tax is a joke and just for the government to line there pockets.what is the point of evicting someone just to rehouse them you can't legally leave them homeless its against there human rights. And for all your what's going on about scroungers some people have no choice such as my mum who disabled but saying that she pays her bedroom tax on time every time. It just goes to prove its not about saving money it's about making money that's why they call it TAX. And also the mps have just had patties who you think pays that aswell

Reply Posted by becky on Thursday July 11 2013 at 09:29
Sally ur bang on there but there is jobs in barnsley but they'll not find any sat in beer garden

Reply Posted by Karen on Thursday July 11 2013 at 09:49
Makes me sick to my stomache! Someone i now very well purposefully claims benefits cos she's 'better off' and gets £270 a week!!! Yes a week!!!... after all her bills are paid! I have 3 kids and my husband works 6 days a week just to make ends meet, we are constantly begging and borrowing and for what? His pride thats what!... and to show our children in a household where there's nothing wrong with the parents other than being idle scroungers the best moral high ground in life is to go out and earn your money and set a good example to the yonger generation!!!

Reply Posted by sally on Thursday July 11 2013 at 10:19
Bedroom tax is not a way to make money its a way to save it, good god get your heads out the clouds, its only called bedroom tax by the media to discredit Cameron all he is doing is limiting the amount of housing benefit we as tax payers are paying out to lazy idle beggars not making money you fools. in the long term if these cuts are not made you will all have nothing left to claim full stop.. Anon you are right there are jobs out there and in Barnsley, if I am over 60 and can get up at 5am to do a full day work then so can everyone else and yes I have relocated twice and eventually come back to Barnsley and oh yes I had a job to start before I even moved back and the reason is I googled jobs in the area and arranged interviews all for the same day I viewed my property,not hard is it

Reply Posted by King Fred on Thursday July 11 2013 at 10:22
There was a little group of scroungers setting up a stand in the little park next to the townend roundabout yesterday. They were having a barbecue and drinking beer. All this at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.

What an image they sent out to visitors to the town. Disgraceful!

Get it paid low life!

Reply Posted by gally on Saturday July 20 2013 at 17:32
i did 3weeks work didnt like it that was nearly 27 years ago.people on the dole need more money than those who work because they have got more time to spend it.

Reply Posted by Alex on Thursday July 11 2013 at 10:32
They are not all "Scroungers" lets get that straight. I've been working since I were 15 years old, full time. I spent just over 6 months on the dole in all that time and it was hellish. Up at the crack of dawn writing letters, making phone calls, going from place to place looking for work and nothing to to live on.

I don't think £71 a week gets you all the amenities you are talking about, after gas, electric, water rates, public transport costs and God knows what else.

Some people are going through what I did. They have paid their tax and national insurance stamp for when in need, and may have paid into the state more than any of you lot have, then to be called "scroungers" you should look at yourselves and think shame.

Reply Posted by Amzz on Thursday July 11 2013 at 14:24
you are right we are not all scroungers, most of us have paid into the system and have now fallen on hard times whether it be redundancy or illness or having to care for a sick relative, I'm a strong person but recently I find myself feeling ashamed and I shouldn't feel ashamed because I haven't done anything wrong all thanks to David Scameron ramming his vile propaganda fist first down everyone's throat, and gullible idiots believing every word of it!! I genuinely believe that they are going to bring this country to its knee's and people are going to revolt on a scale never seen before in this country. Bring on the revolution.

Reply Posted by Craig on Thursday July 11 2013 at 10:41
So ur telling me Sally that the government is not about lining there own pockets everything they do is about that. They are due to get a 10 to 12 grand pay rise. But they are cutting budgets all over get a grip love.

Reply Posted by sally on Thursday July 11 2013 at 10:48
I don't think I need to get a grip I never said they weren't lining their own pockets I have given you facts relating to the bedroom tax I do not agree with their pay rises either but I do agree cuts need to be made.. private tenants have always had to pay the so called bedroom tax as they have never been allowed to have full housing benefit like council tenants, well now its changed hark at the council tenants complaining, I know several people paying this extra money from their benefit in private lets and they have never complained. Poor council tenants not content with having cheap accommodation they want us to pay for it No I THINK YOU LOT NEED TO GET A GRIP

Reply Posted by x on Thursday July 11 2013 at 11:23
i think you need to look at other facts too sally i work i pay my taxes and dont claim a penny but that doesnt alter the fact that if some people turn to crime in order to survive it will cost more to put them in prison than to give them benefits for example you have a guy with a family claiming benefits he gets them stopped ,he turns to crime ends up in prison then what we pay £40.000 a year to keep him there and still have to pay benefits to the partner and 1/2dozen kids and before people slate me yes they should be working but you will always have a minority who wont work regardless of what you,i,or this government says or does and yes private tenants have always paid the so called bedroom tax but when you sign for a private rent you know before hand you have this extra to pay giving you the chance to work out if you could afford it or not,im all for people downsizing but for gods sake give them chance to be able to find smaller homes

Reply Posted by Amzz on Thursday July 11 2013 at 14:28
Well Said.

Reply Posted by Brian on Thursday July 11 2013 at 11:31
Sally, you have my full support in this matter.

The problem with many of the people in the Barnsley area (although it is not confined to just Barnsley) is that they are ill-educated and choose to lash out and blame 'the system' for everything that is wrong in their life. As a result of this lack of education these people are often unable to apply common sense to any given situation. Quite simply they have the mind of a young child.

I watched a good number of unwashed, scruffy specimens going in and out of the job centre yesterday. Anybody in their right mind would not employ any of them. They looked a complete mess. These people need to be educated, especially in areas such as social skills and social graces. They need to spend their limited resources on things like soap and conventional clothing. They need to find suitable courses to attend at Barnsley college or similar institutions and bring themselves back in to mainstream society. Quite simply they want 'sorting out' or they will be a continual drain on society for the rest of their lives.

The only way is to make 'scroungers' realise that their behaviour is not acceptable is to cut their state benefits further and I hope that the government will continue to do that.

Reply Posted by Amzz on Thursday July 11 2013 at 14:37
That's a big old brush your tarring everybody with there. Cut people's money further?!?!?... well i assume you wouldn't mind stepping over all the little homeless people on the pavement on your way to work.Ooh I must say my spelling is quite good given my infantile childlike mind.

Reply Posted by Brian on Thursday July 11 2013 at 17:22
I would also like to add that I am a vile old troll with nothing better to do with my time other than to come on here and complain about the great unwashed.

In fact it is me and my idiotic views that need "sorting out" and need to be made redundant asap.
Then and only then would I know what it feels like to walk in an unemployed persons shoes.

Reply Posted by sally on Thursday July 11 2013 at 11:45
Brian you have summed it up in a nutshell ill educated is the correct way to describe these people, we are now breeding a nation of people who think its their god given right to benefit the moment they leave school without having to do a days work, of course a lot of education in social skills begins at home and this is now sadly lacking in all the younger generation,i see these people you describe nightly on my way home from work never in the morning cos they are still in bed when I leave for wor, I sometimes want to just get a pair of scissors to their hair . once removed from their eyes they might just open them and see the path forward

Reply Posted by Brian on Thursday July 11 2013 at 17:24
Why not get a grip and take the scissors to your own hair you stupid old bint?

You and your posts are ridiculous.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Tuesday July 16 2013 at 19:56
"These People" what fantastic terminology you use!
I suppose you wont want your state pension once you retire then will you?

Think about the ramifications of your words before you open you great big gob you silly bloody woman.

As for taking the "scissors to their hair" comment, you are quite clearly a disturbed, vile, nasty, arrogant, bile spewing individual who has no place in modern society.

Reply Posted by Chris on Thursday July 11 2013 at 13:12
Terrible scroungers those unemployed folk. They have flat screen tv's you know. And they get to go to the Caribbean once a year. The dole pays for it. Tis true.

Reply Posted by ! on Thursday July 11 2013 at 15:27
Jeez some people are so judgemental!

Reply Posted by Beep Beep on Thursday July 11 2013 at 15:43
@Sally and others of like mind. You are wasting your breath on such people who are in the majority on here and in Barnsley. Just as their teachers did and their parents didnt bother doing. Ill educated, boorish, untidy, dirty lazy people who will not work and use every excuse under the sun to prove it. They will never work as they are incapable of smartening themselves up to pass interviews and half cannot read or write properly so they cannot even apply for jobs. Bad attitudes and worse language. They believe it is their right to claim. They will never change unless they have their money stopped and are made to work for it. No I am not talking about the elderly or the disabled just the 18 - 55 year olds who are fit and well. They all smoke and drink and yes they do have holidays and have cars. FACT!

Reply Posted by Dinky on Thursday July 11 2013 at 18:11
What about people that can't work?
I know there are people who claim it on purpose because yeah they are far better off on it.
if your struggling look at yourself first, are you a smoker, a drinker or a user? If your not and your still struggling. Then get all the help you can.

Reply Posted by Tax payer on Thursday July 11 2013 at 19:32
This subject is one no-one will win. I have 2 children and have worked all my life. My children are now fifteen and 13 and i can say i have never taken a penny out of the system everything we have has been got through my own 2 hands and sweet and graft. one one side of the argument you have people who are working the same as me and are angry that they have to pay into the system to keep other people happy on the dole smoking drinking and going on holiday and they do and if they prove there struggling they get sent on holiday payed for by our tax. i know this is true the brother in law gone twice last year !!!!!. on the other side there are the people on the dole that has lost there job for what ever reason and are trying HARD to regain employment if there are able to and are not disabled (BOTH GROUPS A MINORITY) Then you have the third group, idle scrounging these are ones that will not work and are proud of it claiming to be disabled because there hair doesn't look right, i know people that claims full mobility yet are out on the town every time the suns out. TAKE THE PISS !! its these people that cause the arguments between the other groups of genuine working people and the works that's dropped on hard time. This bedroom tax was fetched in to try to bring things into line with the private sector but dont underestimate it the bottom line is lining the fat cats pocket the people we voted in to sort the mess out and they wonder why people are leaving the country even Scotlands had enough !!!!

Reply Posted by doomed on Thursday July 11 2013 at 21:01
you know what this is pathetic the comments on here are so silly, low paid workers,sick and unemployed,it doesn't matter what your opinions on each other are we are all in serious trouble, unless you are rich then you are a burden to the fat cat rich of this country

Reply Posted by terry on Friday July 19 2013 at 22:23
What are our so called labour MP'S doing about this unjust bedroom tax ,which by the way as nothing to do with freeing up unused bedrooms ,it's about punishing the less well off ,a noble tory tradition which they have practiced for hundreds of years.