Council Revoke Disabled Mother's Blue Badge

Wednesday July 3 2013

Badge revoked: Jill Bland Badge revoked: Jill Bland

A DISABLED single mother with a rare heart condition says she feels lost after her blue parking badge was revoked by Barnsley Council.

Jill Bland, 40, of North Street, Darfield, suffers from rare genetic disorder postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), meaning she has an abnormally high heart rate when standing up, walking and eating certain foods and loses consciousness.

This is because her blood is not effectively pumped around her body - stopping the flow of blood to the brain.

Despite suffering from the condition all her life, little is known about it and she was only diagnosed three years ago, after which she was recommended a disabled blue parking badge by her GP.

But responsibility for assessing eligibility for blue badges has since passed to the council and Jill said she was 'not considered disabled enough' by council assessors.

She said: "I couldn't believe what I was hearing - how disabled do you have to be? This is not a condition you can measure without heart and blood monitoring equipment and these people are not medically qualified to make that decision.

"I look normal because I do my best to live as active a life as I can and really push myself to avoid using a wheelchair because, where muscles are concerned, if you don't use it you lose it.

"I get I can touch my toes and reach above my head but my disablity means I can't walk for much more than five or ten minutes before I'm down.

"That's a problem when I have regular check-ups at Hallamshire Hospital and have to pick my kids up from school."

Reply Posted by jessica on Wednesday July 3 2013 at 13:38
She is lucky that she is entitled to any kind of benefit because I have a simular heart condition and have to have an operation every few years and im not entitled to any kind of benifit because I can reach a cupboard and there is many people how are in the position

Reply Posted by Alex on Wednesday July 3 2013 at 18:20
Quote = A council spokesman said: "Jill is the only known POTs sufferer in Barnsley and one of only 3,000 in the UK but believes her own experience in battling to get diagnosed suggests there are many more."

Does this mean that because you are the only one to have a certain disease, means no "blue card"? Typical Barnsley council take, take, take.

She is not asking for "benefits" just somewhere to park!

How much does this greedy council think they will save?

Reply Posted by Gill on Wednesday July 3 2013 at 18:58
My Dad is 80 and has a metal heart valve . He has had a blue badge for 8 years . Turned down this time !!!!!! Wot a disgrace !!!!!! SHAME ON U BARNSLEY COUNCIL !!!!!

Reply Posted by Gill on Wednesday July 3 2013 at 19:03
Its not a benifit !!!!! Its not money they are getting !!!!!!!!!! It is somwhere to park !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by g on Wednesday July 3 2013 at 20:12
no disrespect but if she suffers from a condition that makes her loose consciousness shoulld she be driving

Reply Posted by Alex on Wednesday July 3 2013 at 21:04
It doesn't say "she drives", you can still hold a blue badge even if someone else drives.

Reply Posted by les on Wednesday July 3 2013 at 21:43
Im afraid it does say she drives.
She says she has to pick up her kids from school......not someone else.
I would be very reluctant to let someone drive who can pass out.
Driving is a very reponsible situation not a
video game.

Reply Posted by Alex on Thursday July 4 2013 at 06:47
I think you are assuming she is driving there. Could it be that someones taking her and she is picking them up, or is it all rubbish and she and her doctor are making it all up?

Reply Posted by norman on Thursday July 4 2013 at 08:32
If she was disabled then she may have been getting disability allowance. Does this mean no badge no disability allowance? So the badge could be linked to a benefit!

Reply Posted by Scott on Friday July 5 2013 at 08:38
Barnsley Council is a disgrace!!!

Reply Posted by Charles Hemingway on Friday July 5 2013 at 08:43
I see lots of drivers waiting in the multi story car park for the disabled spots , when they park up they get out and walk better than able bodied people, it's time the council took a stance on these people as a lot of them don't really need the blue badge

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday July 8 2013 at 12:58
Oh so your a doctor now then?
Disability affects people in many different ways, you would be very surprised just how easy it is to get a blue badge.

Reply Posted by p on Friday July 5 2013 at 08:57
Totally agree with Charles, it annoys me when I have 3 children and struggle to find a car parking space and you see all these so called disabled people park at the front and just walk out of there cars as if nothing is wrong. The disabled get priorities, and another thing how can disabled folk afford sky tv and get taxis to go to asda. It winds me up I cant even do that and I own my own business.

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday July 10 2013 at 16:46
Aww diddums, ooh I need to park right at the doors of Asda cos I have three kids, why not park quite a bit away and give yourself plenty of room to get out of the car and get the kids sorted?
I bet you park smack outside the schoolgates don't you , idiot!

Reply Posted by Ian on Friday July 5 2013 at 10:59
I am moving to Barnsley in a few weeks and have a Blue Badge, this has made me worried about when it up for renewal in the future even though I have sever disabilities, is there no appeal process for this lady, I would be so restricted without mine and would probably not go places because of the fear of not being able to park close enough to places and not being able to make to where I was going from where I was parking. Hope you get this sorted Jill and if you are entitled to the blue badge get it reinstalled. Not for one 2nd saying that Jill would do this but I think Traffic wardens should be able to check Blue Badges as I am sure Blue Badges are so misused in all area's not just Barnsley.

Reply Posted by a on Sunday July 7 2013 at 20:28
number 1,g if you read it says it affects her heart when shes stood up and walking,there are lots of disabled people who rely on driving to get them about.and number 2 what a selfish set of bleeps some people are, i am an able bodied person and luckily can get around with my kids unaided so you know what if a few people who shouldnt really hold blue badges have them does it really matter as long as you can get about ok be grateful for that and as for the disabled get priorities,so they flaming well should p stop being so nasty,you never know if one day you might need those priorities yourself

Reply Posted by trisha on Monday July 8 2013 at 08:18
Ian traffic wardens can and do check blue badges to check if the person who the badge belongs to is there when it's being used.

Reply Posted by swampy on Saturday July 13 2013 at 12:45
Jill Bexon!

Still fit as F**k after all these years!

Reply Posted by mick conway on Saturday July 20 2013 at 18:52
ive got one had it years use it all the time when am doing private gardening work its stuck on my visor on my escort estate plus trailer and theres nowt wrong with me fit as a fiddle,but ears are a bit dodgy.

Reply Posted by dog on Saturday July 20 2013 at 18:59
did you buy it on EBAY

Reply Posted by mick conway on Saturday July 20 2013 at 19:06
sold one 8 weeks ago got £100 over two and half years left on it,then got new one easy.cant see what all the fuss is about.

Reply Posted by rav singh on Saturday July 20 2013 at 19:58
ive got 2 blue badges 1 from barnsley and 1 at my second home in lincolnshire there put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Reply Posted by david kinjar on Saturday July 20 2013 at 20:06
i live in spain i came over last week showed my entitlement payed £2 admin arrived at my sons house morning after easy peasy.

Reply Posted by jill bexon/bland on Saturday July 27 2013 at 01:34
To all you people who say I SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING!! Here's some info for you on POTS The Bood System Constricts when standing up to allow your blood to flow uphill this system fails in a POTS Sufferer! This does not happen when sitting as the blood system does not constrict giving full flow around the body...... I am PEFECTLY ABLE to DRIVE!! Please do not comment on something you know nothing ABOUT!!

Reply Posted by jill bexon/bland on Saturday July 27 2013 at 01:55
Swampy? who are you?? I had heard from a very close confidant that there were rude things posted on here...... I have a fiance and have been with him 2.5yrs why the hell would I want to be anywhere else so to who ever posted a rude comment I can assure you I have been by his side for all this time.......

Reply Posted by Swampy on Saturday July 27 2013 at 12:21
Jill, I only pointed out that you were still a beautiful lady.
The post must have come from someone else and I can assure you that I most certainly was not from me.

Reply Posted by lol on Saturday July 27 2013 at 09:11
the crap is driving everybody mad,WHO CARES.

Reply Posted by Jill Bexon/bland on Saturday July 27 2013 at 17:59
Lol no one put a gun to your head to read this crap as you say... The story was written about to raise awareness of POTS NOT To Moan About A Badge I can get one of those!! I was informed a boring story of someone with POTS would not be reported on. We are trying to find people who have fast hearts so they think about and research POTS From this article they can then come forward get tested and find treatment and support!!! So crap as you say hmmm what goes around comes around one day you might need support

Reply Posted by Swampy on Sunday July 28 2013 at 11:40
Jill take no notice of them, they are idiots!

Best of luck with your appeal lovely lady.

Reply Posted by Boo on Tuesday July 30 2013 at 18:56
Yes they are all idiots! Dont know what pots is or how it affects people! X

Reply Posted by lol on Saturday August 3 2013 at 17:10
pots for rags silly pillock

Reply Posted by lol on Thursday August 1 2013 at 11:07
ITS all gone to pot.

Reply Posted by lol on Thursday August 1 2013 at 19:27
do you mean pot noodle.

Reply Posted by lol on Friday August 2 2013 at 14:44
got it fairy liquid pots and pans.

Reply Posted by lol on Sunday August 4 2013 at 11:40
IVE JUST GOOGLED IT YOU CANT KID ME JILL IT SAYS NICE BROWN AND FRESH BREAD AT ITS BEST.