New Sainsbury's Set For Barnsley

Monday July 1 2013

Sainsbury's Sainsbury's

AT least 240 jobs will be created at a new Sainsbury's in Barnsley.

The supermarket chain has exchanged contracts with B&Q to redevelop the DIY retailer's store on Bleachcroft Way, Stairfoot.

Business at the store is currently restricted to the sale of DIY products but subject to Barnsley Council lifting that restriction, the main building will be converted to a Sainsbury's.

Sainsbury's says at least 240 new jobs will be created by the proposed redevelopment.

Grant Anderson, the divisional director for B&Q east, said: "We have been in Barnsley for 32 years and it's with regret that we announce our intention to close the store.

"As our Dearne Valley store at the Cortonwood Retail Park is nearby, we believe we're well set to continue to serve our customers in Barnsley after the current store on Bleachcroft Way has closed.

"We're committed to working with Sainsbury's to do everything possible to minimise the impact of the closure for our employees."

Sainsbury's has informed Barnsley Council of its intentions for the proposed store, which has a sales area of 72,000 sq ft.

The supermarket will now consult with local people over the proposals, prior to submitting a planning application to lift the retail restriction on the building and make other changes needed, before opening the new store.

Bruno Moore, head of town planning for Sainsbury's, said: "We're very excited about the possibility of opening a new store in Barnsley and playing a big role in the local community."

Reply Posted by Dean on Monday July 1 2013 at 10:09
Another supermarket just wot we need !

Reply Posted by ash93 on Monday July 1 2013 at 13:36
agreeeed^^^ (y)

Reply Posted by Jo on Monday July 1 2013 at 10:10
Focus, Great Mills and now B&Q gone. What a shame and yet we have supermarkets galore. I hope the council don't rezone it to be honest. The traffic on the roundabout is awful anyway and the queues near tesco cause disruption how can anyone imagine putting another supermarket there is going to do anything other than make it worse?

Reply Posted by Tom on Monday July 1 2013 at 10:14
Will Sainsbury's still be looking to open up near Morrison in the town centre then?

Reply Posted by John Burke on Monday July 1 2013 at 10:23
B n Q is always empty I say bring sainsburys to stairfoot and competition to tesco

Reply Posted by Joanne Jeffrey on Monday July 1 2013 at 10:35
That is all well and good for you to say that, but what about my husband who has worked there for nearly seven years. There is no guarantee he will be offered a job at Sainsburys if it gets permission to open on that site. Also for your information this B&Q was doing a lot better than the one at Cortonwood.

Reply Posted by mark on Tuesday November 19 2013 at 03:19
well said

Reply Posted by Peter Lewis on Tuesday February 25 2014 at 12:57
Why bring Sainsburys to the area, its one of the most expensive supermarkets I don't think many people will use it when its next door to ALDI.

Reply Posted by Peter Lewis on Tuesday February 25 2014 at 12:57

Reply Posted by kip on Monday July 1 2013 at 10:29
The creation of jobs for the town is the only thing good about this subject.The powers that be cannot think further than (SUPERMARKETS-OPTICIANS-CHARITY SHOPS AND DRINKING VENUES) if thats what turns you on then come to Barnsley!!!!!

Reply Posted by P2 on Monday July 1 2013 at 10:49
The best of the supermarkets. Saves having to travel to Wakefield

Reply Posted by King Fred on Monday July 1 2013 at 13:04
I agree P2. It's about time we had a Sainsburys in Barnsley.

Reply Posted by Observer on Monday July 1 2013 at 11:01
There are to many shops. Supermarkets. Takeaways in Barnsley. Full stop. The the govt has the audacity to tell us were all obese !!!! Job creation always makes me smile. You have to look at who will get the jobs available., British people ? And what kind of wages will be paid. ? Joanne I sympathise with you. But is there need for 2 b and q in Barnsley...kip I think your comments are a bit flippant....it will be too close to telcos surely as well

Reply Posted by Grim on Monday July 1 2013 at 11:17
What a silly statement about 240 jobs to be made. What about the loss of jobs for the B & Q staff?
Good comment about the need for another supermarket when Tesco is nearby and they were going to open a Sainsburys in town near Morrisons. The traffic will be mad at Stairfoot as per usual.
Barnsley council should object as it is taking shoppers out of town yet again. Shame for B & Q but we could do with other facilities in town. @Observer I disagree about Kips comment. It was realistic not flippant. There are too many pubs, supermarkets and charity shops and Greggs and not enough proper clothes, shoes and other shops. The council has no foresight what so ever and this will be a disaster if it goes ahead.

Reply Posted by sam on Monday July 1 2013 at 11:26
I agree with kip,and may I add that Sainsburys is just as overpriced as Tescos,so feel free to shop at leisure when the time comes because there will be no queues.

Reply Posted by @sam on Monday July 1 2013 at 14:09
Sainsburys prices are the best of the bunch, especially as the quality is higher.
Their own brand stuff is lovely and very well priced. If the branded stuff would be cheaper at Asda or Tesco they give you the difference back at the till. Well chuffed with this to be honest.

Reply Posted by Get a grip on Monday July 1 2013 at 13:09
Moans, moans and more moans. I bet every person on here that complains about Barnsley council voted them in.

Isn't it time people started being more positive about the town?

Reply Posted by @G.A.grip on Monday July 1 2013 at 14:11
only two things we hate:
Change and the way things are.
(But we all love this grumble forum)

Reply Posted by mr x on Monday July 1 2013 at 15:45
that be good for the local shop lifters

they should re name this site to moaning barnsley

Reply Posted by ... on Friday July 12 2013 at 12:24
its not so much moaming more personal opinion mr x so pipe down pal

Reply Posted by flapper on Monday July 1 2013 at 15:50
Well, I no we need supermarkets but good god,most folk go once a week after being paid. Will Barnsley be able to keep them all going? Its saturation.....Not moaning,just saying. As one opens then eventually one will shut.....bonkers. Its true, we need real shops,why can we not be like Donny? itsa a pleaseure to shop there. I want to shop local and I do for food, but clothes,shoes,baby stuff? Thers nothing. By the way...luvluvluv Kamenka. We need a more original shops like that....Peas are peas.

Reply Posted by Paula on Monday July 1 2013 at 16:18
I work in Wakefield and had to go to Sainsburys a lot hated it the quality is absolutely terrible it's far too expensive and I just prefer Asdam, Tesco etc but to have a Waitrose that would be a different matter altogether

Reply Posted by King Fred on Tuesday July 2 2013 at 11:21
Really? I must say that Sainsburys own brand food is lovely. Their currys are to die for.

Morrisons on the other hand are dreadful imo. It's about time we had a quality supermarket in Barnsley.

Reply Posted by Cassie on Monday July 1 2013 at 20:38
Why the heck is B&Q closing Cortonwood is way to far to go what the heck is happening in this town.

Reply Posted by Martin on Monday July 1 2013 at 22:31
What a shame for the local tradesmen of barnsley losing b n q to make make for yet another supermarket. Like there isn't enough already. I agree stains bury is quite overpriced.

Reply Posted by alice on Tuesday July 2 2013 at 11:16
Well the elected members of the council have yet again proved that the way (FORWARD) is not a word familiar to them.They need to put all their efforts in bringing our town back to the once popular place to shop.They killed the best market in Yorkshire,which brought shoppers to the town,which in turn helped the other business people in town to prosper.The word tunneled vision comes to mind.Sorry for the workforce of B&Q I sincerly hope that you all will be re-employed and not become another statistic added to the pile.I suggest that the site could be,maybe made in to a retail park,with a wide range of shops meeting the needs of all.

Reply Posted by Bert on Tuesday July 2 2013 at 12:48
People get a grip. It is only a proposition.

Reply Posted by mark on Tuesday July 2 2013 at 13:06
Barnsley council..says it all really .look at the mess outside the town hall that brown mess. Sainsburys next to Tescos lol . cottonwood for me is a waste of time.there's nothing there.

Reply Posted by jo on Tuesday July 2 2013 at 13:12
Sainsburys wud b a welcomed change. Quality wise aswell. My mothernin law shops there in her town and it is more reasonably priced than tescos for her. If they have a clothing section too it wud b good as their school uniform is alot better fit. We have 2 asdas and one of them is relatively close to morrisons and both seem to do well. I dont understand why people see negative in everything. I for one appreciate a choice on where i spend my money. Why did we need 2 b n qs? Why is there 3 mcdonalds and yet burger king was closed? Questions questions questions....followed by moan moan moan. Who cares anyway? Will it really affect ya life that much? An surely using the store for something else and creating some jobs is better than it closing being disused and no jobs. At least the bn q staff will b able to apply. As they shud b covered under tupee agreements by contract x

Reply Posted by CASPER on Tuesday October 15 2013 at 22:23
There is not tupee contract, so we are all out of jobs.

Reply Posted by kip on Tuesday July 2 2013 at 15:01
This site is for the people of barnsley to give a comment if they so wish.As a citizen of Barnsley who cares about this town and what the future holds for the youngsters of today,have the right to express their views,without flippant remarks being made.

Reply Posted by Andrew on Tuesday July 2 2013 at 17:13
though it is sad to see B&Q go I am glad it will not just be an empty shop. They must have been looking at closing it anyway for them to accept the offer.
I shop on a budget but love their basics range...better tasting than tesco value or smartprice anyday.

Reply Posted by A on Wednesday July 3 2013 at 07:24
If your complaint is about jobs, then would you prefer for B&Q to close and sit empty? If you are moaning about not liking Sainsburys, then it's simple, don't shop there! We may have a lot of supermarkets in Barnsley but what else would it become? It is not the council deciding that it needs to be a supermarket, it is up to businesses to decide that they want to open in Barnsley, the reason that other shops are not surviving is that WE are not using them enough!

Reply Posted by smithy on Wednesday July 3 2013 at 10:07
Yes,but the council gives the green light to any proposal put to them.I do not think that another supermarket will be a viable option in promoting growth for the town.The site is large enough to create a business other than what as been suggested.

Reply Posted by Kate guest on Thursday July 4 2013 at 09:08
Supermarket, pub, n charity shop heaven, way to go Barnsley, NOT...

Reply Posted by biscuit on Thursday July 4 2013 at 09:33
Is there an actual date when this is happening?and 240 jobs theres no excuse for some of the bums not to say there isnt no jobs in Barnsley n the ammount of people complaining about pubs n whatever in Barnsley dont see ya moaning when ya out at the weekends drinking in them.

Reply Posted by Barnsleylass on Thursday July 4 2013 at 22:58
Yes I can see a very negative side to this - yet again drawing business away from the town centre. For all intents and purposes why don't the council flatten the towns once bustling market and turn it into a park and ride to supermarkets oh and a hangout for all the smack heads and piss heads that loiter there already. Come on Barnsley, we're losing you - and there's only so much you can pump a heart :(

Reply Posted by Barnsleyman on Friday July 5 2013 at 05:31
I'm surprised Sainsbury's is still trading with what they charge, far more expensive than the rest.

Reply Posted by Mark H on Thursday July 11 2013 at 14:27
I've had many problems with that Tesco near B&Q , I Save more money going further along to Asda.. brand for brand I've saved lots even if you throw in Tesco vouchers and fuel costs.

I personally prefer Sainsburys (any brand) more than Tesco's .. Look how far we have to travel to get to a Sainsburys at the moment, This is very welcome and another exscuse for me to avoid Tesco.

Reply Posted by lol on Saturday August 3 2013 at 17:13
WHAT HAPPENED TO POOR OLD NETTO.

Reply Posted by Ange on Saturday August 17 2013 at 12:47
Sainsburys instead of B&Q? Bring it on. B&Q is a right rip off. You can get the same goods a lot cheaper almost anywhere. If Sainsburys take away some of the profits of Tesco then so much the better. Have found their stores to be better value and better quality than Tesco. "Every little helps."

Reply Posted by TAM on Monday September 2 2013 at 19:55
SUCH A STUPID IDEA .MANY OF MY FRIENDS DONT HAVE CARS .DONT BARNSLEY COUNCIL SEE JUST HOW DIFFICULT IT IS FOR PEOPLE TO GET TO THESE D I Y PLACES WITHOUT A CAR.B AND Q IS IDEAL WERE IT IS.NOW MANY PEOPLE ARE GOIN T HAVE TO PAY EXTORTIONATE AMOUNTS OF MONEY TO GET TO B AND Q AND HAVRE TO PAY DELIVERY CHARGES ONTOP BECAUSE OF THE FURTHER DISTANCE.

Reply Posted by TAM on Monday September 2 2013 at 20:10
ITS TIME BARNSLEY COUNCIL PUT THE NEEDS OF BARNSLEY PEOPLE 1ST.HIGHER TAXES.RENTS.ROOM TAXES.VAT.ECT.HOW DO THE COUNCIL THINK WE ARE ABLE TO TRAVEL TO CORTONWOOD WITH SO LITTLE MONEY IN OUR POCKETS DUE TO CUTBACKS.

Reply Posted by TAM on Monday September 2 2013 at 20:21
THEY ORT T STOP OPENING FAST FOOD PLACES IN TOWN THERES WAAY TO MANY.AND B AND Q IS IN A PERFECT SPOT.WE DONT NEED MORE SUPERMARKETS.WE NEED MORE LOCAL BARNSLEY TRADE.

Reply Posted by TAM on Monday September 2 2013 at 20:29
I VOTE KEEP B AN Q OPEN EXACTLY WERE IT IS IT SERVES PEOPLE FOR MILES AROUND IT.AND CONSIDER OPENING SOME BUTCHERS SHOPS IN TOWN I MEEN HONESTLY HOW MANY FAST FOOD PLACES ARE THERE TO BUTCHERS SHOPS OR HEALTHY EATING CAFES OR RESTERUANTS.TIME THE COUNCIL STARTED THINKING ABOUT OPENING HEALTHIER FOOD SHOPS IN TOWN.

Reply Posted by TAM on Monday September 2 2013 at 20:38
BRING TRADE BACK INTO TOWN REOPEN ALL THOSE CLOSED SHOPS.SNEW JOB OPERTUNITIES WILL OPEN.LOCAL PEOPLE OF BARNSLEY WILL SHOP IN TOWN.TRADE IN TOWN WILL GO UP.BARNSLEY WILL RISE AGAIN. SIMPLES.

Reply Posted by TAM on Monday September 2 2013 at 20:56
WHY DONT THEY REOPEN THE COALMINES.THE SEWING FACTORIES.THE GLASSBLOWERS.OR THE WOOLEN MILLS.WERE HAVE ALL THE BUTCHERS GONE.WHY DONT WE HAVE MORE EMBROIDERY/OR MATERIAL MANUFACTURERS PLACES.

Reply Posted by TAM on Monday September 2 2013 at 21:14
I NO A VERY HARDWORKING BARNSLEY MAN WHOS A VERY CLOSE FRIEND OF MINE THAT DOUS WORK AT B AND Q.AND HE WILL BE MADE REDUNDANT AS HES UNABLE TO AFFORD TO TRAVEL TO CORTONWOOD AS ARE MANY OTHER WORKERS AT B AND Q.ITS SO SAD HE DOUSNT FORSEE BEING ABLE TO GET FURTHUR WORK AS HE ISNT YOUNG ANYMORE.THIS IS A STUPID IDEA I HOPE BARNSLEY COUNCIL RETHINK.

Reply Posted by Abi on Wednesday October 9 2013 at 16:16
When will the job vancancies be posted?

Reply Posted by Melanie on Sunday October 20 2013 at 14:04
Posted by Melanie on Sunday 20th October 2013 at 12:59pm
I find it very difficult to believe that people think this is a good thing for Stairfoot. Do we not have a Tesco ? Do we not have an Aldi ? Do we not have a huge Asda a stones throw away from Stairfoot ? Where is the nearest DIY superstore if we lose B&Q ? A DIY store that will offer as much as the current B&Q ? As for 240 jobs being created...what about the jobs that will be lost ? People being made redundant,people of a certain age that will find it difficult to find another job. It is my belief that the current staff at B&Q will not be given any preferential treatment ,they will be given an interview but have no guarantee of a position within Sainsburys ! Is another superstore really what we need? I am both disgusted and disappointed and strongly believe that we need to put a stop to this before it is set in stone.What has Sainsburys got to offer that we can't get at either Tescos cheaper or Aldi even cheaper !!! B&Q serves the people of Barnsley very well.The staff are brilliant and nothing is too much trouble for them.I think it will be a great loss to the community if this was to go ahead.I thought B&Q cared about their staff,it seems to me that they are yet another company overcome by greed !

Reply Posted by harry on Sunday October 20 2013 at 14:14
melanie,,sainsburys has a lot to offer,1 competition,2 choice,3 jobs,plus b & q is too expensive,,

Reply Posted by Melanie on Tuesday October 22 2013 at 20:14
Harry... Sainsburys is not competition because A it's expensive and B how much more choice do you need ? Jobs,maybe but what about the staff at B&Q ? Not guaranteed a position. As for B&Q being expensive ...tell me the alternative ? This Sainsburys will not work ...watch this space .

Reply Posted by harry on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 17:25
melanie...of course there is going to be more choice,sainsburys will give me a choice wether I want to shop there,at the moment I don,t have that choice,sorry some of the food products are as cheap as all the other competition,and yes more jobs,b&q is going to close anyway,so all for it being a sainsburys rather than be boarded up.jobs for Barnsley that what we need,,

Reply Posted by Adam on Wednesday March 12 2014 at 08:47
I will have to disagree with you on the 'sainsburys is expensive' front. Sainsburys implemented the 'brand match' scheme a few years ago and was the first supermarket to have anything like it. This basically means if you spend more on branded products at sainsbury's they'll give you the difference. Also say for example fresh fruit, sainsbury's only sells class a produce, this is the top class and therefore the best quality.
Now while you do pay more for better quality products, sainsbury's offers them at AFFORDABLE prices.

I could go on to talk about sainsbury's not being caught up in the horsegate scandal too, due to their own testing and strict tracability rules they have always been able to trace their meat right back to the animal from which it came.

Sainsbury's is as good a supermarket as any, although if you were to ask me I'd go as far as saying sainsburys is the best of the big 4

Reply Posted by Paul on Wednesday October 23 2013 at 17:17
I Like the idea of this about time more jobs are been createad in the area and more choice to shop could be worse it could be turned into yet another boozer think of the jobs its going to create

Reply Posted by Rather not say on Saturday June 21 2014 at 00:12
I worked here for three years and left for another job closer too home long before any talk of closure I feel really bad for the majority of the staff as they are really good people Very hard working and put up with a terrible management structure including an ice queen for a store manager this alone is bad without them all potentially loosing there jobs. and for every one who sees the happy staff on the adverts it's all a lie in reality it's like most retail environments horrible and low paid. B&Q is just a company with one agenda PROFIT. Just like the rest

Reply Posted by Brian on Saturday April 11 2015 at 13:49
This will save me going to Wakefield each week, for my Nectar points, pluss the Café does the best fish & chip meal, for the price.

Reply Posted by mark on Sunday June 14 2015 at 11:43
last comments about Sainsbury's was that they were not opening at stairfoot,If BMBC had approved it earlier on it would have been open,what will happen now,another shop empty, this was in the chronicle a few week ago

Reply Posted by david skinner on Tuesday November 3 2015 at 10:58
fantastic that Sainsbury will be opening on such a great site, still leaving B&Q close to Barnsley in its far better store. only hope this will create jobs, and compete with other supermarkets, especially in prices of foodstuffs

Reply Posted by john paul Slack on Monday November 30 2015 at 16:53
We have for too many supermarket around barnsley .which are slowly killing off small traders around the region ..