New Museum All Set For Opening

Wednesday June 26 2013

Experience Barnsley opens at 2pm on June 27 Experience Barnsley opens at 2pm on June 27

THE new £4.3million Experience Barnsley museum will open its doors with a colourful public celebration.

The Town Hall building will be swathed in a giant ribbon which members of the public, including dozens of schoolchildren from local schools, will be invited to ceremonially cut.

Thousands of visitors are expected to pack the new town square outside the Town Hall which will have a free children’s carousel, musical entertainment and attractions to represent Barnsley throughout the ages.

Attractions range from an animatronic dinosaur to giant stilt walking sportsmen.

The free attraction, which spans two floors of Barnsley’s distinctive Town Hall, opens at 2pm and will then be open seven days a week.

Mayor of Barnsley, Cllr Ken Richardson will be on hand to introduce Barnsley-born Capital FM presenter Simon Hirst, who will be delivering the countdown.

Cllr Steve Houghton, Leader of Barnsley Council said: "Experience Barnsley will be great fun for the whole family. Whether you’re interested in football, fashion, our industrial story or how our stone-age ancestors lived, there will be something for everyone.

"Many of the exhibits have been kindly donated. It really is a museum for the people by the people and I’d like to invite everyone to come along and join in the launch."

Among the exhibits close to the hearts of visitors is a much-loved children’s roundabout which operated in Barnsley Market for decades. The bus from the popular ride will be placed in the museum café for children to play on while the carousel horses on poles will be suspended from the ceiling.

The roundabout has been loaned by Stewart Robinson, whose family has run Robinson’s Family Funfairs for many years.

Stewart, who is Barnsley born and bred, said: "My father James bought the roundabout in 1959 when I was seven. Before that a company called Slaters had owned so the roundabout is getting on for being 100 years old.

"When the markets reopened in the 70s after a refurbishment, we put the roundabout inside the building which helped to preserve it as most fairground rides are outside in bad weather."

The roundabout remained in the market until last year when it became difficult to make it financially viable. Stewart, aged 61, was keen for it to remain in the town.

Are you heading down to see the opening at 2pm?

Reply Posted by allan machen on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 12:16
i dont supose its free entry
ps anuther waste of money

Reply Posted by whingerwawawa on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 15:11
"Anuther waste of money" How is it? Barnsley finally has an attraction to be proud of, celebrating our history and heritage, what would you rather the money was spent on? And it says it's free entry in the article you twazzock. Christ there literally is no pleasing some people,

Reply Posted by David on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 18:51
The vast majority of money for the museum has not come from council coffers, as has been stated on numerous occasions, but from grants from the EU development fund and the Lottery heritage fund. An if you don't want to have a look at something we can be proud of, our own heritage, even if it did cost a couple of quid (which it won't), then I don't know what that says about you.

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 20:38
Try reading the article, 'the free attraction' gives it way !!!

Reply Posted by King Fred on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 13:29
Why didn't they have the opening on a weekend when most people aren't at work? I suppose the " Say no to bedroom tax" crew will be out in force.

Reply Posted by bum@hotmail.com on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 13:51
Oh thanks so much!!! Thursday???! so Im at work and my kids at school
the only people who will be able to attend are jobless druggies then! charming

Reply Posted by David on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 17:13
Nothing like pigeonholing is there? I'm a mature student who finished term on Tuesday. I will be attending with my wife who is unemployed but not claiming and my father who is disabled. I'm sorry that you can't attend but there is no point getting on your high horse trying to tar everyone attending the event as a jobless druggie. And as it goes are you saying that culture is only to people in jobs who aren't on drugs? I have never taken any form of illegal drug but I do not see how it should forego someone attending.

Reply Posted by David on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 17:13

Reply Posted by Claire on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 14:16
The website is rubbish to say it opens tomorrow, the opening times are 'TBA'
www.barnsleylive.co.uk/visit/experience-barnsley/

Reply Posted by flapper on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 21:10
Well...I can't wait to see one of Dicky Birds old balls......sorry...well done and good luck to all concerned.

Reply Posted by DWright on Thursday June 27 2013 at 08:09
Some of you lot are just pathetic. A great attraction for the town. Free entry as well.
A chance for Barnsleys children to see all sorts of things.

But most of the negative thick stupid idiotic nay sayers slagging it off before it even opens. Grow up and wake up or carry on watching Jeremy Kyle to see how many people you know on it...............

Reply Posted by Colette on Thursday June 27 2013 at 08:57
Every one is aloud an opinion, no matter for or against any project,but have got to admit do think that not enough thought has gone into the opening day,unless the council have made sure that arrangements have been made for every School in Barnsley have got an allocation of kids to be there ?

Reply Posted by Ron on Thursday June 27 2013 at 10:01
Reason it will be opening today is so they can iron any teething problems out before the weekend, also there will no doubt be the usual concillor/vip schmoozing that also takes place which they won't want the general public to be part of.

Its free everyone give it a look and then make your mind up.

I can't see it lasting forever BMBC are not know for their ability to run attractions so whilst its fresh and new and not costing us money give it the benefit.

Reply Posted by Grim on Thursday June 27 2013 at 19:00
A waste of money, they should have developed the town centre.

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday June 29 2013 at 04:00
yes you are right grim.

Reply Posted by stevo on Saturday June 29 2013 at 16:34
Haven't been to the museum yet but I did drive past the new town hall gardens and what can I say, I am GOBSMACKED!

It actually looks NICE!

Even the rusty comb with the newly cleaned sandstone of the town hall looked NICE and will look better once the fountains are up and running.

(eats humble pie)

ARE YOU WATCHING HOYLAND RED?

Reply Posted by Barnsley Girl on Saturday June 29 2013 at 21:54
The town hall is not just NICE, it looks BEAUTIFUL I am so proud to take my Barnsley Town Hall photograph with me and show it to anyone when I say where I am from, as well as many others of the town and district I might add. I can't wait to visit the museum. Looking forward to it. It's just what Barnsley needs and should be celebrated.

Reply Posted by Barnsley bird on Wednesday July 24 2013 at 13:59
The museum is absolutely fantastic