Notorious Shoplifter Sent Down

Tuesday June 25 2013

Barnsley Magistrates' Court Barnsley Magistrates' Court

AN infamous drug-taking shoplifter has been jailed for 26 weeks.

June Downing, 50, was becoming so notorious that she could not get away with it when she went thieving, her solicitor Sean Fritchley told Barnsley Magistrates' Court.

Mr Fritchley said Downing had kicked her drug habit once and become a drugs worker 'to put something back into the community'.

But he said she had lapsed back onto drugs after her elderly mother was disabled by a stroke.

Mr Fritchley said: "She's back to where she was many years ago. She needs help and sending her back to prison will not provide a cure.

"She's reaching the point when she is the first name on any list of suspects. She cannot avoid being caught when she shoplifts.

"Her offending is straightforward. She walks into shops, puts items in her bag and walks out. There is never any confrontation and she poses no danger to the public."

Jayne Ormrod, prosecuting, said Downing was 'identified by several police officers' on CCTV after one of her crimes.

Downing admitted four offences of shoplifting and was given a 26-week sentence.

Reply Posted by cherie on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 11:05
So coz shes no danger its ok!?!? Y should I go out to work to buy my drugs I should just pinch

Reply Posted by @! $#$! on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 11:07
Smack heads lock um all up same as that karl Stevens whos always theiving outs charity shops n sellin it on in pubs!@$#!

Reply Posted by Dave on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 11:34
"sending her back to prison will not provide a cure." Of course it will. Let her go cold turkey. That and the deprivation of her liberty for being a thief will be delightful punishments.

Reply Posted by Grim on Thursday June 27 2013 at 18:35
Make em ALL go cold turkey the filthy smackrats!

Reply Posted by Kylie on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 11:50
I'm sure if she was robbing Mr Fritchly's house he wouldn't be happy ..

Reply Posted by amy on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 16:18
Maybe if all u above had someone u loved addicted to drugs ,son , brother , sister u would maybe have a different attitude instead of just lock em all up and through away the key , look at the bigger picture , And lets hope it don't happen to someone u love

Reply Posted by Fred on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 18:18

But she steals and takes what is not hers, maybe putting shops out of business resulting in staff losing their jobs -- Should lock her up for longer and add on all her previous convictions to the prison sentance

Reply Posted by king hell the third on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 19:19
Amy. sometimes its better to sit in a corner and think what shall i treat myself to tonight in my cosy world

Reply Posted by Sam on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 10:10
Its ok everyone avin views but unless u no someone and no ther story we dont no anything, I really dont think. ANYONE would look to there future wen being younger and say yes I want to be a helpless addicct and get myself locked up!!

Reply Posted by amy on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 11:51
King Hell the third , What are you even talking about , you comment makes no sense at all , All am saying is not everything is black and white lets just hope ur kids don't grow up to be (smack heads) ehh

Reply Posted by king hell the third on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 19:13
Ihope my kids never become smack heads
id have to be a time traveller.
Ive got 5 kids between 30 and 50 none of whom have ever taken drugs nor have my
12 brothers or my wifes sister or 3 brothers. and ive known loads of drug dealers and takers and not one taker in barnsley or the country needs these drugs.
And thieving or a dying parent is an excuse for actions that people take and if you had anything upstairs you would know precisely what i was saying ...
You have a brain. no one makes anyone drink . no one makes anyone take drugs ...
No one makes you hold a phone your hand when your driving... and no one makes you put things in your bag or pocket
without paying and fred had already said above . although more politely

Reply Posted by Amy Isles on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 20:29
Again you comment has nothing to do with What I said , read my comment , Have I said that they need it NO , what I have Said is its an addiction get it ADDICTION clue is its name , not all if them want to be like it , but any way as far as I'm concerned ave got plenty upstairs (thanks for the insult and being ur age u should know manners don't cost anything) , number one I don't judge people unlike you but am not going sit and have slanging matche with u , ave got my views uve got urs and quite honestly got better things to do

Reply Posted by Amy Isles on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 20:37
Oh and how holding a mobile phone and been physically addicted to something can compared is beyond me , My view is from a sibling being a addict you say u have never been in that situation so how would or could u possibly understand or comment , walk a mile in my families shoes and then come with your judgemental views

Reply Posted by king hell the third on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 20:43
Read the letter. again

Reply Posted by Anon on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 23:13
Amy I have walked to the end of the earth and back in "your shoes" and I'm also a sibling of a drug user I've had it near on 18 years but you know what I agree with king hell the third it's no excuse to use other people for there habits people on drugs use excuses all the time like I have no money to feed my kids or to get gas and electric my response don't have kids if you can't look after them and prioritise instead of drink or meth or smack buy food no one forced them to take drugs or steal so in my opinion it's there own doing

Reply Posted by king hell the third on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 23:14
And " a dictionary ". For the meaning of
addiction.

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday June 27 2013 at 08:25
There is always a excuse for pinching to a drug addict and the solicitor will defend them all day because that's what he gets paid for by tax payers money time they cut back on legal aid for persistent offenders.
And yes we have had a family member in the same situation it ruins lives you cannot help them until they want help .
Do not use society s a excuse I brought my kids up alone and without parents and I'm no. Drug addict

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday June 27 2013 at 08:29
yeah everyone has there choice in life weather theyve had a bad time in there life or whatever ,sos loads of others and they dont go down that road, it dont help there that brazen about it ,the state some of em are walking about in middle of tarn in front of kids and families ,and the way they congregate shouting at each other ,

Reply Posted by Christine on Thursday June 27 2013 at 08:31
We cant always blame the addics for doing what thay do . There lives have had avents you could only read in papers . Have you been raped ave you been abused mentaly fisicley memtaly have you been abused as a child . I guess not . Put your self in there shoes gor a wail . Then youwoudemt critisize

Reply Posted by Dawn on Thursday June 27 2013 at 08:35
Firstly Amy iwould have agreed with you on this subject had you asked me 15 years ago as i have been in your position but unfortunatly after Years of help and mine and others time we are still battling a situation where the person in question is still at it everytime he gets upset by anything or anyone and Will not accept responsibility for his actions and he had 5 years clean. Some i know will recover but the majority will keep going back regardless of the knock on effect it has on their families or the community so on this one i have to agree with King hell and anon maybe a sentence will have an effect...sorry

Reply Posted by Jade on Thursday June 27 2013 at 08:36
I understand the meaning of "Addiction" Amy, but do you understand the meaning of "Choice"? When someone chooses to take drugs for the first time it's there choice. When someone chooses to steel from hard working shop keepers that's there choice as well. When someone chooses to steel from shops it put's the prices up for EVERYONE else, so in the end we ALL pay for there crime. I work heard for my money & grudge every penny I have to pay over the odds for things that have been hiked up by low-life-scum like this woman. I don't have a stick of sympathy for scum like her & to use her elderly mothers stroke as an excuse to start taking drugs again is despicable. Shame on her for not wanting to stay clean to help her mother, but no...she chooses to wallow in self-petty which in turn makes her no use to her mother. Lock her up & throw away the key is what I say. And yes before you get on your bleeding heart soap box...I have members of my family who have addictions, but that is also there CHOICE.

Reply Posted by Grim on Thursday June 27 2013 at 18:37
Rubbsh, they all have a choice they all chose not to get help, lock em up and make em go cold turkey I say

Reply Posted by king hell the third on Thursday June 27 2013 at 21:30
Yes i did have shit start to life i was put in a red hot bath as a child left to rot in bed without food. taken away by social sevices
with two other brothers at that time.
I didnt become a druggy or a thief so dont give people the crap about poor me most people have crap to contend with in there life and get on with it you dont live in the past.
Or you dont live

Reply Posted by Amy on Thursday June 27 2013 at 22:07
Yes jade I understand completely that eveyone has choice in life and i too work very hard at work for my money thanks , My comment was on people taring all drug addicts with the same brush smack head this smack head that , why don't they all take a lethal dose those r just a few of the comments I see on wab , all am saying is its not as clear cut as everyone seems to think like I said before untill uve had someone close on drugs u wont understand but that's not your fault , and king Hell the third , god u like to get on wab don't just looked at another story on here and uve added ur 2 penneth LOL and where in my comments ave I said poor me I dont need or want anyone's pitty , there is 1000's of families out there in my position , thankfully my family member has been clean for years and works so that is proof that people can change and get there life back on track if it was left to people like u they would all be condemed to prison for life and I don't appreciate ur comments insinuating I need to read a dictionary to look up the word addiction grow up , everyone seems to be taking my comments the wrong way , there are people out there that don't want to to be clean and do terrible things to get there fixes don't get me wrong and they don't deserve to have kids , and they certainly should not use things as an excuse my point was some addicts go to work to fund there habits they take it to get through the day without being physically ill , I know its there fault it was a choice but its not fair to class them all the same and that's all I've got to say on the matter

Reply Posted by les on Thursday June 27 2013 at 22:36
Amy i dont think king hell the third was condemming you but your do gooder attitude that you had with him.
Not everything is as it seems

Reply Posted by johnny on Thursday June 27 2013 at 22:58
The trouble is people lay things down on w a b to get things riled up in people .
I have always tried to put truth there i dont abuse anybody i put hints down to help people and i have had many happy debate with stevo and fred against some topics but you cant take it seriously its just like been at work or in the pub
trying to put the world right and engage government wrong doings.
All my replys and responses are true and faithfull i have spent years working for the home office have spent 4 years in the army i have had all that from last blog and more happen to me and i dont drink so when someone says thing like unless these things have happened to you you cant know what your talking about.
Ive met loads of people who have had problems and been locked up and i have disagreed withthe law. but do gooders do nothing to or for anyone they are just sympathisers but they dont help the problem. years ago there was a record made by tvs grange hill in the 80s what did that do. made a lot of sales and after reduced the drug taking age down to 7 and 8 year olds what has 30 years done to stop the trafficking . nothing.
Many names. many faces

Reply Posted by stevo on Friday June 28 2013 at 07:30
Johnny (Les?), I agree if we had all the answers then we wouldn't be putting the world to rights via our keyboards and this very forum would we?
My attitude is if something is worth saying then say it too many people are afraid to say what they really think as there is always someone who will disagree with ones views.
I have been posting on here for a relatively short time and you get to find out those posters who are genuine and those whom just post to rile people up.
Just for the record, all my views are my own, I say what I think and do in my "normal" life, if people don't like my forthright and opinionated view then its tough as far as I am concerned.

Back to the topic in hand, drug addiction is a tricky one, I have seen many friends whose lives have been devastated by heroin I have also seen many go into rehab and come out of the other side and lead a normal life.
Obviously this lady did try and get off drugs and became a drugs worker to "put something back", very admirable in my humble opinion, however, drug addicts are forever in a vicious circle only recently I lost a good friend who had come out of the other side of Heroin addiction and he was clean for a good few years, he had a minor blip in his life and went straight back to his former life, he died a few weeks after getting back on the gear.

Cant be no picnic either being addicted, i'm not condoning drug use either.

So easy to get hooked on drugs and so easy for people to judge.

We all have choices in life, just happens that some people make the wrong choices.

Reply Posted by sam on Friday June 28 2013 at 11:35
I know this girl personally and yes shes got issues but shes also sumones daughter carer and sister.but also a very good friend who keeps trying.and at the end of the day thats all wat anyone can do.wat more can we ask?'?

Reply Posted by Swifty on Saturday June 29 2013 at 22:22
It's simple the Police Society and everyone out there as lost the battle with Drugs and the addiction rates are soaring. It will only get worse.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday July 3 2013 at 18:51
walk in my shoes...i was sexually abused by 5 different men at different times from the age of 6 to the age of 13 at 14 i was gang raped i grew up in an abusive alcoholic household where verbal and physical bashings was the norm i now suffer with severe mental heath problems thru my time of growin up i used alcohol and eventually drugs to escape the nightmare in which i lived i am 34 now i didnt ask for any of this i never wanted to become a drug addict but i am dont judge a person until u have walked in their shoes my story is one of many i struggle everyday with life and drugs i hate both. i also know june personally and she one of the most nicest ppl i know because she is an addict it doesnt define the person she is you's that dont know her dont know her story and most of u that have commented and bitched on here have bought something that fell off back of a wagon ur all hypocrites