Hundreds Protest Outside Court

Monday June 24 2013

Protests outside court Protests outside court

HUNDREDS protested outside Barnsley Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

The unrest echoed poll tax protests more than 20 years ago after hundreds were summonsed to the court for not paying their council tax.

Around 200 people ordered to attend waited in a queue stretching the length of the court building and down the steps outside.

As they waited, protesters chanted 'smash the bedroom tax' and waved placards.

The protesters were asked to move on by the court's security staff, but refused, and police were called, although they left soon afterwards.

Many of those waiting were summonsed for failing to pay after cuts to benefits, which meant they had to make a contribution to council tax for the first time.

Only about 12 appeared in front of a magistrate and their cases were adjourned until July, after insisting they wanted their case to be heard. The rest were dealt with by Barnsley Council officials in the court waiting room.

Fran Postlethwaite, of Barnsley Against Bedroom Tax, helped organise the demonstration.

She said in many cases those in arrears with council tax were also behind with rent payments because of the so-called 'bedroom tax'.

Reply Posted by Robbie on Monday June 24 2013 at 11:14
The "Nazi's" will be knocking your door down and throwing you out on the streets, in the name of "reform" and for "your benefit"... it is time to get out the pitch forks and walk down to Westminster... Bedroom Tax, what next, "Air Taxation"?

Reply Posted by TC on Monday June 24 2013 at 11:16
They should NOT have been asked to move on. I don't support their cause but I completely support their right to protest.

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday June 24 2013 at 11:24
You have to laugh really. Standing behind a banner which says 'uniting our communities - fairness, justice, respect' If that is really what these people want they should get their debts paid like the rest of us choose to do. When they have done that they will be meeting their own aims.

I have no sympathy with them whatsoever.

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Monday June 24 2013 at 12:47
A lot of unemployed people can't afford their rent with the Bedroom Tax (no smaller houses available) and now Council Tax on top has left many with nothing, facing eviction and seriously in debt. A job and a wage would alleviate this situation but try getting one of those. It's nigh on impossible in this town. It's no laughing matter Brian. When you're in that situation I will have sympathy. It may happen sooner than you think given the state of the economy and the number of job seekers from other countries still coming here.

Reply Posted by LV on Monday June 24 2013 at 11:47
There are so many people on benefits who can afford to pay their council tax and rent, I don't see why it's so hard for everyone else? I guess many are too busy paying to sky and brighthouse, etc! Do they not realise that these things are not cessential and won't affect the roof over their head, whereas council tax and rent do?

Reply Posted by R2D2 on Monday June 24 2013 at 12:04
With every story there is 2 sides. Unfortunatley for the people who love to hate people on benefits, not everyone is a stereotypical "get stuff on a weekly basis, rather pay sky than pay bills". I know several people who are in fulltime work, pay very little towards bills but still manages to go out every friday, saturday and sunday getting plastered. Anyone, if in full time work or not could screw the system and that is where, unfortunatley, genuine people on benefits are tagged the same as druggies, drunks and pikeys. Its usually trolls or people with an half hearted understanding who cannot see beyond their own ignorance who post comments that drag individuals or groups down.

Reply Posted by Jim on Monday June 24 2013 at 14:34
A few questions for you R2.

Do you have sky?
How big is ya telly?
Do you have a smartphone and internet?
Do you smoke? Drink at least once a month? eat takeaway? Go on holiday even if it is in the UK or a caravan or whatever? Own a car and insure it?
If you do then you should be paying your bills first before the above. yet how many on benefits are doing that?
I am no troll nor am I thick. It is the responsibility of those on benefits to pay for food, heating and housing before fripperies but not many actually get that or do it.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday June 24 2013 at 12:46
You people who have posted slating the unemployed make me laugh you tar everyone with the same brush how mistaken you are alot of these people would love a job so they can pay their way BUT theres not enough jobs to go round some of these people canot not work due to disabilities but again you slate them you my friends are blinkered and sucked in by the lies told by this government ie single 22 year man with a flat and everyday bills plus council tax lives on £53 a week he sure cant afford to drink smoke take drugs have sky and pay weekly at brighthouse even has trouble affording food so wake up being unemployed is not the road to riches and an easy life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Nan Swan on Monday June 24 2013 at 14:30
No sympathy for the scroungers on benefits at all! it is NOT a god given right to get freebies you know. You've had it cushy for long enough now time to wake up and smell the (Asda home brand) coffee!!
Get a job, cut sky and loans off, pack in smoking and boozing...you'll be fine!

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Monday June 24 2013 at 21:37
You are an idiot. I have had a job most of my adult life and paid tax & N.I. until redundancy. Being out of work is not cushy, it's degrading and a struggle. No cash to smoke booze, run two Ferarris or whatever you bigoted arseholes think unemployed people get up to. Before you imagine that I have the latest ultra posh TV & broadband with cash I should be paying bills with, this is a friend's computer (they can afford central heating so I visit for heat as well as socially). I hope that you tosspots find yourselves out of work and a jobseeker in Barnsley. See how you get on. Have employers laugh at your qualifications which you worked hard for. Wait for replies for jobs that never arrive. Spend all day tramping round factories or spending money that you don't have on stamps. Try waiting for ages at the library for a computer to do job searches while some Pole or Somalian sits playing online poker. Go on, give it a whirl.

Reply Posted by grim on Monday June 24 2013 at 14:37
If you can post on here then you have internet and a computer or smartphone which costs money. Simply divert the funds from that to paying your bills.

If you have the energy to protest then use that energy to finding a job instead.

People who work are sick of the unemployed moaning about them. So change their minds.......

Reply Posted by STEVO on Monday June 24 2013 at 18:20
grim, I think you will find that an internet connection is a necessity in this day and age of job hunting, even the powers that be at the DWP recognise this.

Obviously jimmy has worked before too and is "lost" in the system, a system where one wrong word could lead to benefit sanctions.
I don't think people actually realise the ramifications of being sanctioned, basically anyone owning a property/renting who has their benefits sanctioned end up kicked out of their homes and made homeless.

Just because a person is unemployed it doesn't automatically give the working man the right to label the unemployed as scroungers.

Yes, we all know at least one family in our street that has never worked and will never intend to work.
The system is fundamentally flawed, you have to give thanks to the Labour party for that one.

As for Jimmy, put yourself in his shoes and remember this mantra:

"we are all one letter away from redundancy"

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Monday June 24 2013 at 21:50
I got sanctioned because someone in the DWP inputted one digit of my National Insurance number incorrectly. I had money stopped immediately and had to go through a lengthy appeals procedure (at great cost to the taxpayer) to rectify this mistake. The time and energy spent on this diverted me from my relentless job search. The muppets on here that think we're all Frank Gallagher or Jeremy Kyle contestants will have made their minds up already so it's my fault for not taking my boss hostage when he gave me and many others our P45s. The staff of Jessop's, HMV, Blockbuster and many others must be real scum musn't they? Thank Christ you're the voice of reason Stevo.

Reply Posted by Graham on Monday June 24 2013 at 22:15
That's a good un Jimmy: Stevo 'the voice of reason'

It certainly made me chuckle.

Reply Posted by stevo on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 06:37
Graham nothing constructive to say as per usual,Don't you have the Daily Mail, Torygraph or the Sun to read Tory boy?

Reply Posted by Grim on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 20:34
Me too. There is nobody who slates the unemployed more than Stevo. Plus he is harping on about one letter away from redundancy when he is usually bragging about his mansion, his stone patio and that he is loaded.....

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 06:28
WTF?
Think you are getting me mixed up with someone else gimp, sorry Grim.

Reply Posted by R2D2 on Monday June 24 2013 at 14:43
@nan swam yet another ignorant fool, quick to jump on the band wagon. Go and whinge that your taxes pay for people on benefits (i assume you work), why not complain that the politiciams whom you appear to support in regards to the reforms, why not cry at them that your tax money helps provide for their lifestyles, 2nd homes, ott expenses etc. Try that one, or does it make you feel superior targeting people who are actually struggling to make ends meet...wind your neck in, have your opinion based on actual facts and stop following other peoples ignorants views like the rest of you sheep types.

Reply Posted by R2D2 on Monday June 24 2013 at 14:50
@jim i seriously cant concieve why everyone picks "how big is your tv?" Does that seriously decide who is a benefit scrounger.
Firstly, my tv is 50", yes i have sky, no i dont smoke, yes i do have the occasional drink. But guess what, i work full time, if idiotic ppl are then going to say ive got time to comment on here, well by their own logic, they are commenting are they work shy, no, coz guess what, today is my day off

Reply Posted by R2D2 on Monday June 24 2013 at 14:55
And yes, i do pay my bills :)

Reply Posted by lilly on Monday June 24 2013 at 16:38
a message to my family.if i ever turn out like some of the nasty, bitter, twisted,selfish, self centered people on here who are lucky enough to be employed please put me out of my misery

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday June 24 2013 at 16:45
Get real - luck has nothing to do with it.

Reply Posted by lyndon on Monday June 24 2013 at 16:49
Well said lilly. Same old people same old comments

Reply Posted by stevo on Monday June 24 2013 at 18:39
Lyndon,yup same old sh*t different day.

To all the people having a go at unemployed people, would you REALLY like to be made redundant and have to suffer the indignity of throwing yourselves at the mercy of the DWP for £70 a week?

Would you like to go cap in hand asking the egotistical Sycophant "advisors" at the Job Centre who do NOT help their "clients" to find a job and are literally gagging to sanction benefits to anyone that speaks out of turn?
"advisors" that are supposed to help the claimant to find a job but are more interested in gossiping to their colleagues about what is in heat magazine this week.
And before anyone asks, yes I have been there and I thank almighty god that I managed to get a job within a week of being made redundant.

Look past the ends of your stupid noses people, you have been brainwashed by the gutter press, the Sun in particular, and the nasty Tories.

again the mantra "we are all only one letter away from redundancy" is most definitely apt.

Reply Posted by lyndon on Monday June 24 2013 at 18:57
Too true stevo you'd think they'd count their blessings rather than unleash their bile. I've done my days graft proper hard shit day to be honest, but i could never harbour bitterness to anyone like these clowns preaching away

Reply Posted by Wedge on Monday June 24 2013 at 20:28
The just scroungers moaning about bedroom tax go get a job like rest of us a see it every day in sunny hoyland same scroungers all time the have 10 kids so the can claim money an sit on the arses all day

Reply Posted by Ryan on Monday June 24 2013 at 20:35
Now why were those 200 people not at work today............I wonder

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Monday June 24 2013 at 21:42
Who's to say some weren't working backshift or part-time? You people would make great concentration camp Kapos. Once you've applauded the authorities hounding of unfortunate people, you'll be next.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday June 24 2013 at 20:46
Yes one letter away from being a scrounger but also that one dodgy gene in you that suddenly gets a wake up call and BANG ..... the big C strikes and when your sick pay runs out you are a scrounger just like the rest.

Be lucky.

Reply Posted by Anon on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 08:47
Makes me laugh as there are jobs out there it is just that some people don't want the jobs on offer because they are unsociable hours or minimum wage ... My husband does agency work so we work week to week and when laid off over Christmas had to sign on only to be told he hadn't contributed enough ( although previous full time work and self employed from the age of 18 ) it took weeks to sort out by which time he was employed again .... Strange when people say there are no jobs !!! Are these the ones in town with the latest designer trainers phones etc .... Oh and we work but don't have the latest gadgets we can't afford them or holidays ... Not even a honeymoon ...

Reply Posted by DWP Worker on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 09:01
I process benefit claims for a living and by GOD its not stereotypical what these comments are saying!! Absolute work shy SCUM, jobs are there! People just dont want to do them because its 'too many hours, not enough money, dont like that kind of work'. Load of shite! Get up of your lazy benefit scrounging asses and FIND A JOB!! Stop whinging that MINE and every other workers tax isnt enough for you and change the ******* record! 100% agree with bedroom tax, make them suffer! Theyre a drain on society and need to get a grip.

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 11:33
You are a moron. You should not be employed by the DWP if you think all unemployed people are scum. Why don't we just introduce camps with "Arbeit Macht Frei" over the gates?

Reply Posted by stevo on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 13:52
What a truly deluded individual you are DWP worker.
I'm sure that your bosses would love that you post your egotistical sycophantic inane drivel on this forum.
If you are THAT clever, then why not post your name on here for all the lazy benefit scroungers (as you so eloquently put) for all to see?
Go back to your pathetic little sadistic life, you must be so proud of doing the job that you do and I sincerely hope that you sleep well at night.

The DWP are not immune to job cuts either, and I would absolutely laugh my bollocks off if you were made to sit at the other side of the desk.
It is YOU and the minions at the DWP that are a drain on society, remember the 500,000 Public Sector workers that have lost their jobs over the last five years or so?

It could be you NEXT.....

You are an absolute scumbag, why the hell do you think you have the right to come on this forum and berate the very people that keep you in the lifestyle that you are accustomed to?

You are only one letter away from being one of these people.

Karma is a bitch and I fervently hope you get what is coming to you.

Reply Posted by Chris H on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 09:04
Therr are plenty of jobs available but people don't want to start at the bottom. When ever I have been in the job centre all the regulars are complaining that the jobs don't pay enough. We sorry but the jobs that do pay alot are never going to be given to some one who has never worked. Start at the bottom like I did.

Reply Posted by emma on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 09:09
im a single mum and I get a lot less than any other single parent but I still manage to pay my rent, which I have to contribute £54 a month and I pay my council tax... but then I dont have sky/cable tv, I dont smoke, I dont drink every weekend I make sure my son has a roof over his head. I dont agree with the new bedroom tax etc but there is help out there when genuinely needed!

Reply Posted by Neil on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 09:10
These debates are funny. There's never a correct answer. Chuckle.

Reply Posted by Mb on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 10:23
Not worked in nearly 3 months. Never claimed a penny in my life. Ive worked hard and saved hard incase this happens. Not all people on the dole are the same but sorry to say the lazy people of britain have ruined it for the rest. Those days are coming to an end soon it will be work n struggle on min wage or struggle on nothing. N that in my opinoin is the way it should be

Reply Posted by Grim on Thursday June 27 2013 at 20:28
So nice to hear that you have saved some money, unfortunately it doesn't last forever.
Best of luck with your job search, youre gonna need it.
Hope you can speak Polish too....

Reply Posted by Brian on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 11:12
At last a few realistic/sensible postings (Anon, DWP worker, Chris H, Emma, Mb) on this matter.

People should be told to stand on their own two feet and pay their way in life. If they cannot do that they should be penalised in some way. Possibly cleaning the streets or other worthwhile work for the benefit of society as a whole. (exceptions can be made in situations where people simply cannot work and need to claim benefits) Well done to this government for trying to sort this mess out.

Reply Posted by stevo on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 16:32
Brian, tell me what have you contributed to society?

If you have a few hours spare why not go and cut someones grass or go round picking litter up?

Very contradictory too, saying people should be penalised if they cant stand on their own two feet but in the next sentence saying exceptions for people who simply cant work and need to claim benefits?

What absolute jingoistic drivel you speak, YOU should be penalised by talking absolute garbage.

Reply Posted by mark on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 12:01
Jimmy what does ARBEIT mean ?

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 15:55
It means you should have studied German at school.

Reply Posted by Anon on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 13:00
Mark I had to laugh at that ... Arbeit I believe means "work" .... And Brian I agree we have the people doing community work as their punishment in the local church yard they have and are doing a fantastic job and probably learning new skills as well there are plenty of areas that need this

Reply Posted by STEVO on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 16:55
What has people doing community service in the local churchyard got to do with the bedroom tax?

Reply Posted by King Fred on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 14:55
Look at the state of them, the photo says it all about these people. A bunch of slobs!

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 15:50
I am on that photograph and I am wearing a suit you imbecile. Not everyone in the group are unemployed or slobs as you put it. Some are people with jobs who have a social conscience and came to support their fellow citizens.

Reply Posted by flapper on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 16:19
I take my hat off to you jimmy.

Reply Posted by flapper on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 16:11
Me and my hubby only go to our local on bank hols because there is always the same little clique in there, none of them work....fact... and as employed people, money is tight. Last bank holiday we were greeted with...aye up the posh people are in! The guy had a nasty sneery attitude...I,m still gobsmacked that these drinking, swearing,smelly folk....fact...think I,m posh. I,m a miners daughter,he ended up on benefits,it was truly awful as a kid. ...I,m not posh,I just work hard to pay my way. The handfull of folk I do know,including some family are milking the system...as did my dad in the end. Ive lived both lives so I,m not posh. The system needs to change, a job means every thing,but most of all self dignity and yeah, it might just make you a bit posh...Im still waiting.

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 17:26
I've been there flapper. Going to work for a backshift on a baking hot August afternoon passing the pub seeing people I know personally and also know for a fact have never worked a day in their lives. Also not having enough money in your pocket for a pint and having days of graft ahead until pay day. They are the visible minority and where they got their money from was beyond me (although some went to prison for thieving or selling drugs). Barnsley is the M-Cat capital of the country now. Maybe it's no co-incidence.

The sinister undertones over this court issue implies that all unemployed people are like that. I'm not like them and never will be. Unfortunately I'm labelled as such by small-minded people just one rung on the ladder above. It's a real shame that we're so divided.

Reply Posted by ??? on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 16:12
Jimmy I think you need to calm down slightly. Every one is entitled to say what they think freedom of speech and all that there is no need to go on a tirade.
I think it is good that they have made a stand against it and some of the comments on here are very harsh against the unemployed who this is affecting. I know people who work for the return to work program and from what they say it is a very mixed bag from wont work and wont look to applying for everything and not getting a break. For the bedroom tax and council tax taking away all remaining cash someone may have is very harsh and shouldn't be accepted but if the government are making this kind of situation to get people to work shouldn't it be looked at as individual cases ? genuine reasons should at the least have some exceptions to the rules.
I am not affected by this but I can see how it will affect those who are out of work with good reason.
Shouldn't we at least be supporting those with the reasons and not putting everyone under the same umbrella? Shame on those who are so quick to judge really. Those who NEED it should get the help to pay those who are not willing to even work (and they are out there we all know one) should be made to pay.
Sorry for going on just wanted to get my point over. Thanks

Reply Posted by flapper on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 16:27
My dad was a drinker (every session) a smoker and a gambler,my mam was a smoker and a gambler. We lived on benefits. We (4 kids) had one meal aday,one pair of socks, no night wear,no carpets,or even light bulbs upstairs. I saw my parents spending benefit money on all the wrong things, they had no conciounce,in fact it was always poor poor me.....suffer the little children. Some familys are like that now,but not all, trouble is how can we stop this? Its no good ranting and being nasty towards each other. Wish I knew the answer.

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 17:32
Maybe unfortunate cases like yours are more in the realm of Social Services rather than the DWP? The trouble is Social Services are stretched to breaking point with staff cutbacks. More staff out of work to label workshy by some. When people with degrees are being put out of work it's very worrying.

Reply Posted by Anon on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 20:19
Stevo if you bothered to read the post properly it was in reference to a previous comment made and I for one have made no comment or inference towards the bedroom tax reason being I have to rent privately as no hope on getting a council house despite paying my way ... And if the people who don't or will not work contributed by doing some community work maybe others may actually start to have a little bit of respect for them

Reply Posted by flapper on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 21:52
Yes,any kind of work gives a person self dignity. The systems really failing when ,as Jimmy says,we go to work an the folk sat outside the pubs are spending benefits on booze. Its really wrong. Its no good them moaning about being skint,they have to manage their money as the workers do. Same with having kids,me an my hubby sat and worked out if we could afford a third child. We couldn't,he was a fireman, I worked part time jobs when the kids were in bed. Were OK for money now,simply because we planned and worked hard...in fact still are working full time. This dosn,t help the folk who have lost their jobs...all I can say to those folk is,keep trying,keep proud and don't fall into the benefits trap which seems to be spending money they are lucky to have been given on beer an fags. Stay proud.

Reply Posted by Strider on Thursday June 27 2013 at 10:14
The Window Tax

introduced in England and Wales in 1696 under King William III for "granting to His Majesty severall Rates or Duties upon Houses for making good the Deficiency of the clipped Money".
It consisted of a variable tax for the number of windows above ten windows in the house. Properties with between ten and twenty windows paid a total of four shillings (£22.25 as of 2013),[5], and those above twenty windows paid eight shillings(£44.5 as of 2013),[5]. People who were exempt from paying church or poor rates, for reasons of poverty, were exempt from the window tax. The bigger the house, the more windows it was likely to have, and the more tax the occupants would pay. Nevertheless, the tax was unpopular, because it was seen by some as a tax on "light and air".

There was a strong agitation in England in favour of the abolition of the tax during the winter of 1850–1851, and it was accordingly repealed on 24 July 1851. The term "daylight robbery" is thought to have originated from the window tax as it was described by some as a "tax on light"

The difference between Window Tax and the Bedroom tax? The poor were exempt from the former but are specifically targeted by the latter. Conservatism rules?

Reply Posted by johnny on Thursday June 27 2013 at 23:26
I think that people with tvs bigger than 36" should pay £10 per inch per year more tax.
Those with more than200 sq ft of garden should have to pay. £10 per sq ft per year or hand it back to the country to build more houses...
Same difference.
And and anyone whos got a bigger mouth than his asshole should also pay more tax

Reply Posted by big dick on Thursday June 27 2013 at 23:56
Ms flapper im sure that in todays time of
conservation.
Having one pair of socks and no lightbulbs upstairs would be a godsend.
But in reply to a solution to the employment situation in this country
there is one perfect solution.
I can eradicate unemplyment in one week.
No bullshit and straight to grass roots.
Everybody retires at 65 without exception.
No one works for more than 40 hours per week by law. then you have all the unemployed in work.
You would have all the kids who have never had a chance of work. in work.
But you watch the greedy people who want to moan about unemployed people
say total contrary to this comment beecause they dont want to share the chances.
They just want to moan

Reply Posted by Grim on Friday June 28 2013 at 16:23
Deport all the Polish more like, that would solve all the unemployment in the uk overnight.