Town's Ladies Only Gym Forced To Close

Friday June 21 2013

Gym forced to close Gym forced to close

A LADIES only gym in the town centre has been forced to close - after takings dropped so low the owner couldn't afford to keep it going.

Complete System Ladies Gym and Toning Tables' owner, Wayne Birtles, says he's lost about £100,000 with the closure of the business, which opened on Peel Street Arcade in December 2010.

Wayne, of Worsbrough, believes the opening of nearby Lifestyle Fitness on Shambles Street last August spelt the end for his gym, which employed four staff.

"We had to shut at the end of last month and there are some members who are owed money who will be repaid," he said.

"We used to have about 300 members when we first started but when we closed it had dropped to about 40.

"It has been hard since Lifestyle Fitness opened around the corner because we lost a lot of people to it.

"It's hit us hard because the cost of business rates and rent for this place is about £800 a week, and the week we shut we only took £106.

"I've lost about £100,000 in the place and had no choice but to shut it.

"I'm gutted because I can't work after being left in a bad way from a car crash years ago and the money I got from a claim for the crash was all put into the business."

The gym catered specifically for ladies, attracting a lot of women in their 60s and those with disabilities.

Reply Posted by Hannah on Friday June 21 2013 at 11:54
I've lived in Barnsley 6 years and have never heard about this ladies only gym. Yet I knew all about Lifestyle ages before it opened. Maybe better promotion was needed to keep people interested?

Reply Posted by John Tumman on Friday June 21 2013 at 12:05
Such a pity another small local business run by local folk from the town has closed due to the outside cooperate businesses with loads of money to spend coming into town. in time we will miss places like our own small family run Gyms, shop, pubs and businesses who give you that one on one service the big shops just cant offer. So sorry to see it go along with loads of other places with character from the town. good luck in the future anyone who has lost their jobs.

Reply Posted by joby on Friday June 21 2013 at 12:05
i agree, never heard of it :(

Reply Posted by Amanda on Friday June 21 2013 at 12:07
I am the same as Hannah, as a disabled person registered blind and very unfit i would have loved to have known about this place as large gyms put me off as i dont see well and i find them intimidating... i would love to have somewhere to go where i can just use a treadmill for a while, i cant do hours as i have other disabilities but i would like to maybe just do ten mins at a time, to get my legs going again!!!. i feel sorry for Wayne, he tried to do something good and got wiped out by the big boys!!!

Reply Posted by Kelly on Friday June 21 2013 at 12:30
I use to be a member of this gym years ago but not for long. As much as it was great been for ladies only and it's a shame it had to close and effect this mans lively hood I struggle to see how it caters for all disabled people as the equipment was upstairs!! nor did it have air conditioning or showers etc and cos of the location you had to park in town so suppose when a 'corporate' business offers all the mod cons and state of the art equipment, qualified trainers, free parking plus classes for a similar fee per month people are going to move there. Like I said its a shame for him and the 40 that still used it tho x

Reply Posted by Karen Langford on Friday June 21 2013 at 14:13
My mum has been a member there for years because of the toning tables being beneficial to her arthritis. It was refurbished not long ago and one of the more mature members parked her mobility scooter outside. She'll certainly miss it.

Reply Posted by d wright on Monday June 24 2013 at 08:15
Shame another Barnsley business that failed to keep up with the times.
No showers ? No air con ? No parking ? and the last nail in the coffin No Advertising.

best of luck

Reply Posted by G on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 20:16
I was a member of this gym in 2010/2011 and i found it great but a bit small. I think its a great thing to have a ladies only gym in barnsley, it just needed more advertising. I was looking forward to signing up again after i had my baby, but since hearing the news i will have to look further out than Barnsley now.

Reply Posted by Adrian on Wednesday June 26 2013 at 11:52
Sorry to hear this Wayne old mate, shame indeed, could you not have gone unisex and found a USP that Lifestyle couldn't provide?

hope you succeed in whatever happens next

Adrian

Reply Posted by Sally on Thursday June 19 2014 at 10:42
Im really sad this gym shut down I miss it. :(

I need gym equipment to help improve the well being of homeless people and patients suffering from mental health problems. I'd appreciate it if anybody can advise where I can purchase cheap equipment to help me with my project.

Sally P

Reply Posted by Sue on Thursday June 19 2014 at 10:51
Hi Sally P. You can hire equipment from Havahire Gym Equipment at Grimethorpe. They deliver it to your home and the prices are excellent. I hava a crosstrainer at the minute,it cost £40 ish for a month. Just an idea?
Other wise e-bay,but the items are usually buyer collects,so you,ll need a van.