Tougher Rules For Motorway Nuisances

Wednesday June 5 2013

Tougher rules for motorway users Tougher rules for motorway users

TAILGATERS and middle-lane hoggers on the motorway are facing on-the-spot fixed penalties under new measures announced by the government.

From July, police forces across the country will be able to issue £100 fines and three points for careless driving offences that would currently have to go to court.

Current £60 fixed penalties for using a phone whilst driving or not wearing a seatbelt will also rise to £100.

People guilty of careless driving will face fixed penalties or the chance to go on a driving course, but the more serious examples will continue to go through the courts - where offenders could face much higher fines and penalties.

Are you glad to see stricter rules? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Josh on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 10:49
I don't understand this the motorway as a speed limit so if everyone went to the speed limit there wouldn't be a problem. :/

Reply Posted by Mark on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 10:53
Middle lane huggers do my head in. On the m18 last Sunday and a car was doing it but the problem was he was travelling at around 60mph and then the m18 suddenly became 1 lane as everybody cued up to overtake.

Reply Posted by mark 2 on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 11:11
obviously josh you dont understand the motorway!!! there are way too many drivers who also dont understand the rules of the motorway.the middle lane is for overtaking and NOT for hogging if people stuck to this SIMPLE rule then motorway driving would be much safer and the flow would be much smoother.

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 11:39
There are too many drivers around Barnsley that dont understand how to drive full stop never mind just the motorway.

Reply Posted by Dawn on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 12:02
lol well said sarah made me chuckle that did

Reply Posted by stan on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 13:34
My brother in law came over from Australia and said driving on our roads were good He got into the middle lane and stayed in there at 70 mph and he thought he was being good until I told him how he should drive. trouble is he is coming over again could be in for a fine...lol

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 16:11
Another "revenue raising" exercise...

How can they suggest that middle lane hogging is careless driving?

The large majority of people hog the middle lane as, an I don't know if you have noticed, there are these big things that hog the left lane called articulated lorries that are limited to 56 miles an hour.

Perhaps if said articulated lorries were limited to 70mph then there would be no need for people to hog the middle lane as much as they do.
It also has to be said that some car drivers do not observe the 70 mph speed limit.
On many occasions whilst travelling to meadowhall it seems that everyone has to get in the left lane and slow down to 50 or 60 mph, god knows why they do this, I mean its not as if they are going to miss their turn off is it?
Same goes for people getting onto the motorway, you do have to speed up to 70 mph before you actually get onto the motorway do you?

As for driving whilst using a mobile, the current system doesn't nearly go far enough, the penalty for using a phone whilst driving should be at least 6 points and a £1,000 fine in my humble opinion.

Reply Posted by Grim on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 18:35
Stevo you are talking garbage as usual.

Meadowhall has a filter lane which is why traffic naturally slows at that point. The middle lane is only for overtaking, it is not for people like you who cannot be bothered to overtake the wagons. Read the highway code buddy.

Artics would not be safe at 70 either.

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 20:22
Grim (tosser) , Funnily enough I have just come back from Meadowhall and the majority of people were doing 50 miles an hour in the inside "filter" lane despite no wagons being in it, tell me is this safe?

No thought not, just causes traffic jams doesn't it?

I bet you are one of those doing 30 mph up the on ramp on the motorway aren't you?

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 23:37
I challenge anyone to travel 20 miles in lane one at any speed. Due to lack of maintainence you will find deep furrows caused be lorries. These obviously have a wider wheel base than a normal car and will suck you in, and you will have to fight your steering wheel all the way.

At least they could spend all the cash they rob, sorry generate on fixing the above issue !!

Reply Posted by stevo on Thursday June 6 2013 at 20:13
Fred, I was quite happily doing 70mph on my way to Meadowhall yesterday, and moving into the middle lane to over take lorries,until I got two miles away from the "filter" lane when other idiotic drivers slowed down to 50 mph.

Reply Posted by Matt on Monday June 10 2013 at 09:43
The furrows make no difference at all if you have a decent car... there's no excuse for driving in the middle lane when you're not overtaking anything, Fact!

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 23:37

Reply Posted by Alex on Thursday June 6 2013 at 07:03
Yep! Same old thing, revenue for the government, anything and everything, fines up, wages down (except theirs).

Reply Posted by les on Friday June 7 2013 at 00:59
Now i understand why there are so many
people killed on the roads today
you people actually believe the speed limit is 70 mph for everything on the motorway.
The maximum speed linit on motorways
is 70 it doesnt mean everybody has to do 70. 56mph is a very economical speed to do thats how you save fuel rather than moan about the cost of fuel .
There are different reasons why people do different speeds....the speed limit in towns is 30 doesnt mean you cant drive at twenty its safer and if you did hit someone they would be less likely to die from there injurys.
As they would at thirty

Reply Posted by stevo on Friday June 7 2013 at 06:46
I am more than happy for people to do the maximum speed limit on the motorway, I also demand that every vehicle does said speed limit on the motorway.
Better still, I demand that everyone fills their vehicles up solely at BP garages as it increases my share price and dividends.

Also the main crux of my point was that as artics are limited to 56 then common sense dictates that people will have to use the middle lane more frequently to overtake said artics which travel at said speed.

Reply Posted by les on Friday June 7 2013 at 09:04
There is just no point talking any further
on the subject.
Some peoples brains are in there trousers
and some are in there pockets.
If you cant have a valid conversation without talking about how much youve got.
I would leave the talking to sensible people with a brain in the right place

Reply Posted by stevo on Sunday June 9 2013 at 15:05
Les, jealousy is a funny thing isn't it?

I am relatively comfortable and have worked very hard since I was 15 to get exactly what I want, can go out and buy a brand new car whenever I feel like it as I have WORKED hard for everything I have.

If other people had the same great work ethic as I have then they too could have everything the want.

Problem is everyone expects everything for nothing these days isn't it.

Reply Posted by Tony on Friday June 7 2013 at 09:48
I travel on motorways alot at all times of day and night, And hardly ever see a Police patrol anymore, I see Highways Agency patrols, How is this going to be Policed?, You would need to follow and film a potential offender for alot of miles to prove driving without due care and attention, And a good excuse for using the middle lane currently is the poor state of slow lanes on motorways due to the constant hammering the road surface gets from HGVs that use it 99% of the time due to being restricted to 56mph, Did you also know that Transit/sprinter type vans are also only allowed to do 60mph on a motorway legally and not the 70mph most people still think??

Reply Posted by les on Sunday June 9 2013 at 16:47
I hope your not refering to me

Reply Posted by daves lad on Sunday June 9 2013 at 17:02
time to slow down for meadowhall is at the off ramp all the split arsed shoppin freaks nead motorway lessons,bp stevo?

Reply Posted by allan machen on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 22:27
so haw long do you have to be in the middle lane before you become a lane hogger

Reply Posted by Joe on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 22:46
Stevo you own afew shares in that then? :-) My uncles friend, colin is the director of bp and castrol