Student Complains To Exam Board After Disruption

Wednesday June 12 2013

Student complains after noise disruptions Student complains after noise disruptions

A STUDENT taking his AS levels at Barnsley College has complained to the exam board.

The unnamed 17-year-old is studying maths, chemistry, physics and biology and hopes to become a pilot.

But during his recent physics exam, he couldn't concentrate and failed to finish the exam, which was being held at the Metrodome, because of noise by workmen.

His angry mother has said students who were disrupted should be allowed to resit, as they had not had silent exam conditions like other students across the country.

"It's disgusting," she said. "I phoned the college and was told the man who was drilling has had a disciplinary and that it wouldn't happen again. But what good is that now?

"My son didn't finish his exam because he couldn't concentrate. He's got another exam to try and bring it back but he's worried about it."

She said even when the drilling noises had stopped, her son and his friends had complained they could hear music from fitness classes.

"All across the country students will have had ideal exam conditions and these students haven't. It's put them at a disadvantage.

"His IQ is in the top two per cent in the country but that doesn't help when you can't finish the exam."

College principal Colin Booth, said: "Unfortunately at the start of one exam some students experienced noise disruption. This was immediately acted upon and promptly stopped.

"We're sincerely sorry that this happened and we would like to reassure students and parents that further actions have been put in place to ensure that this will not happen again.”

Reply Posted by Kerry GYM MEMBER on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 14:32
I pay for my membership why should we suffer? Try complaining to the college not exam board after all you would think they'd accommodate for exam rooms with the new college! Any idea what it's like trying to do classes with no music? Everyday? And the students well don't get me started on they're behaviour before and after exams it's disgusting no manners at all! Oh and I happen to know someone that sat an exam and they couldn't hear a thing funny that!

Reply Posted by Rob on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 15:24
i was in the exam in question, and i assure you it did happen, only that exam however. allthough i agree with you that college should have its own facilitys for this kind of thing.

Reply Posted by Jayne on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 14:38
I have every sympathy for the young people in question, it's the schools fault for using the Metrodome in the first place, it's a leisure centre not a school. I am a member and my classes get interrupted for exams and although its annoying its not the students fault. It's was only a matter of time before something like this was going to happen.

Reply Posted by Jayne on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 14:42
Can I also point out that regardless of how intelligent this child is makes no difference to right and wrong, all children have the same right to sit an exam in silence. Can WAB so a little consideration towards every other student in that hall thanks

Reply Posted by Tracy on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 14:57
Myself & a friend have ruptured calf muscles in the past my being made to dance in studios with hard floors that may I add are not designed for that purpose, all because of exams being taken at the metrodome. It is a leisure centre and I pay a monthly membership to do fitness classes that are constantly being disturbed by exams. I understand kids need to do exams but the school has a right to find a proper place and in my opinion that is certainly not a leisure centre. Also as Kerry stated we have had to constantly complain about the attitudes of the kids, they sit on the stairs and don't allow access so every time they're in its a struggle just to get in the place.

Reply Posted by Carlie on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 15:08
Well done for speaking out, most wouldn't. This lad and a lot of other kids are sitting quite difficult exams, why should they suffer, the college should provide adequate settings for their exams, and gym go-ers, hopping around a few kids on the stair will burn a few more calories, so it ain't that bad. Hope he does well.

Reply Posted by Gaynor on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 15:16
I totally agree with all comments regarding metrodome. When the management of said place realise that it's a leisure and sports facility then it may achieve its objective. Instead it's customers try their hardest to achieve customer satisfaction, which I need to add, they pay for. It is not an education centre or exam facility. I cannot comprehend how the new college was built without having adequate exam facilities. Clearly those in charge of both establishments need to answer some important and valid questions. Meanwhile neither the users of metrodome or the college students are receiving a satisfactory service and, are the ultimate losers.

Reply Posted by Kerry on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 15:20
Hopping around kids over books they're behaviour towards you, books torn up after exams all over the floor outside, yeah we should accept that paying £32 a month!
This report should aim this at the college not the gym

Reply Posted by Kerry on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 15:29
At last rob a student who's willing to tell it how it is not like a story in the press.

Reply Posted by Tracy on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 16:04
ITS A LEISURE CENTRE NOT A COLLAGE. WHEN YOU START PAYING £22 A MONTH TO BE THERE THEN YOU CAN COMPLAIN

Reply Posted by lee on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 16:27
Its the colleges fault... inadequate facilities strike once again... Makes you wonder why millions of pounds have been ploughed into new buildings with poorly thought out facilities. On another note... If he couldn't cope in a physics exam because of some 'background' noise, then how is he going to cope in the cock-pit of an aeroplane if a stressful situation occurs... hardly pilot material. Sounds like another parent with over optimistic delusions looking for someone to blame... just my 2 cents.

Reply Posted by Michael on Monday June 17 2013 at 21:09
What a ridiculous point.

He's a 17 year old boy, most of his skills will be lacking to be a pilot currently, that doesn't mean he should stop trying, because he has to be developed to have the skills.

At 17 I could have hardly done my job with any degree of skill either, I'm glad they didn't judge me unfit for it then like you would have it.

Reply Posted by Ray on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 16:53
I think it's a load of nonsense, looking back I never had absolute silence when sitting an exam and I've sat a lot, and as for fire alarms didn't anyone on WAB go to a Barnsley School. I like how this young adult - 17/18 has got his mum to complain.
I'm sure hes been sat in silent isolation revising for the past three months, or not. I reckon it's a kop out as he knows mummy will be disapointed with little simpkinses exam results come August.

Another note having a go at the college for poor behaviour of these young adults as well, these are not kids some people need to grow up and get some drive.

Saying that proper exam hall should surely be a priority to the college?

Reply Posted by Anon on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 17:04
It would be good to see a timeline of the disruption. There's a quote saying the noise was acted upon promptly - so if the drilling was over in 5 minutes then I think there's less to complain about. I think the music from fitness classes might be a bit of a red herring: even with an exam hall in a school/college/university you will hear noise from people outside the hall: no exam is ever in ideal conditions.

Seems like the fact that the exams cause disruption to regular customers is a separate issue from the exam disturbance itself. Would WAB consider an article looking at the problems caused by the college's inadequate facilities?

Reply Posted by Rebecca Ellis-Hood on Monday June 17 2013 at 21:25
I can see both sides, yes the noise may have been over the top but on the other hand the gym has being disrupted for us, hundreds of paying customers have being disrupted! The college should not use a leisure facility, although when i was at college exams.were at ymca and we had drunks outside shouting into our hall! The finger should be pointed at college!

HOWEVER, i have just finished my degree and for 5 months we have had drilling against the library walls with a new extension being built! We have had dissertations to write, and exams to take again under the same conditions. Know what we had to do? Man up, and get on with our work, cause as adults we should be able to move past a small disruption. So no sympathy at all from me im afraid!

Reply Posted by smart arse on Monday June 17 2013 at 21:26
this is no excuse the conditions years ago when we had to sit exams were worse she's just defending her son has he is probably thick as pig shit

Reply Posted by Peeved Student on Monday June 17 2013 at 22:07
The college is only bothered about completion of Certificate of Personal Effectiveness work anyway - we have been told if we do not complete this work (which is not offered by most other colleges and is not recognised by most universities) then we would not be able to progress onto the second year.
It is ridiculous, considering that I remember CoPE being taught to lower ability children in secondary school to give them a qualification after failing their exams.
Not only that but AS students from other colleges that wish to move colleges would not have done CoPE at their previous college.

Reply Posted by Char on Monday June 17 2013 at 23:34
When i sat my A2 law exam a basic english exam was taking place in the same room, which lasted half the duration of our exam. During which they were talking, shouting and walking around becuae they couldn't understand the instructions given, when their's finished they all got up and left (noisly) before our exam had finished.. We all compalined but nothing got done.. Barnsley college = useless.