Claims For Speed Limit Reduction Objected By Councillor

Wednesday June 5 2013

Calls for speed limit reduction Calls for speed limit reduction

A FRIGHTENED dog walker wants the speed limit to be cut on a busy road - but a councillor has dismissed his calls.

John Race, 73, says he walks Lee Lane in Royston three times a week but the 60mph speed limit and narrow pavements make it dangerous for pedestrians.

He wants the speed limit to be reduced to 40mph and asked police at a meeting last week to walk the lane and analyse the traffic.

"For the walker who comes down here it's a frightening environment," John, of Staincross, said.

"The footpath is reduced in various spots because of vegetation growing onto it and the speed on Muscle Hill is the worst point.

John said there have been three deaths on the road as a result of traffic collisions in recent years. He also said there have been tailgate collisions and the road has had to be closed because of accidents.

However, Cllr Roy Miller said: "Lee Lane does not and would not meet any of the national guidelines or legal criteria for a reduced speed limit."

"It has no houses or other properties on either side, is not high on the accident risk criteria and traffic surveys have not identified any particular or unique issue with speeding.

"The road has a very small amount of pedestrian use. However, in the last five years substantial investment has been made to improve safety with increased lighting, the laying of a pedestrian footpath along its entire length and the introduction of traffic calming measures at the point where it enters the residential area of Royston."

Reply Posted by A on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 10:37
Thought it was 50 on there?

Reply Posted by K on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 10:42
Surely if he was that FRIGHTENED he wouldn't walk it 3 times a week would he??

Reply Posted by J on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 10:50
The most dangerous aspect of that road is drivers who travel along it at 30 mph then speed up when they get into royston itself!!!! Absolutely riles me every time I go on it!! Speed limits are there for a reason!! If its 60 mph do 60mph if its safe to do so and when it's 30 mph slow chuffing down!!!!

Reply Posted by G on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 11:33
Why dont he walk somewhere else then? They not doing anything wrong by doing 60 on a 60 road. If hes scared its his problem

Reply Posted by Shaun on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 11:37
I've noticed that wildlife crossing the road can be an issue down there. I don't want it to be a 40, but it will happen at some point :-/

Reply Posted by G on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 13:09
So don't walk on the road then! There are roads I don't like, so I just don't go on them.

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 13:49
I would have thought a call for paths to be cleared would make more sense,

That and some street lights for dark nights.

Reply Posted by Mick on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 13:58
Sounds like a few convicts are needed to clear the overgrown footpath.

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 16:21
Ahh is this the same Mr Race that constantly writes in the Chronicle letters page?

Tell me Mr Race, living where you live, there are loads of fields to take your dogs for a walk so why do you feel that it is necessary to walk your dogs on a road which has the national speed limit?

Oh yes I am sure that the council will seriously look at your proposals to cut the speed limit to 40mph.

Reply Posted by Carl on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 17:45
There are plenty of public footpaths and bridleways that criss-cross all over area, there is no need to even be on the road, if he wants a walk think about enjoying them a little more.

Reply Posted by hmm on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 17:47
I think the more important issue here is that he only takes his dog for a walk 3 times a week. That isn't enough Mr Lane, your dog is a living creature and needs exercise.

Reply Posted by ROGER on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 20:23
Too many stupid speed limits already...Woolley Edge 40...Barnsley Wakefield Rd 50...Who pays road tax....not dog walkers...

Reply Posted by neil b on Thursday June 6 2013 at 09:02
Oh yes and of course there are " public right of ways " thru woods on Woolley Edge ( nr shooting range ) where i walked for years with my 2 small dogs, but amazinlgly when you do there seems to be THUGS with "big attack dogs " who someone employs to try to deny you access, so much for " freedom to roam ".

Reply Posted by Tony on Friday June 7 2013 at 09:36
Theres much bigger things in the Barnsley area to currently worry and complain about and this is not one of them, He has many alternatives and choices about where to walk his dogs or not. That road is actually one of the best roads in the borough where you can do a decent speed without breaking all the cars suspension due to potholes etc, The vast majority of roads are 30-40-50mph and most of the time you cant do the speed limit as there like driving off road style on most of em...

Reply Posted by Gary Wilson on Sunday June 9 2013 at 17:17
I agree with the comment above - surely this should be a call for the paths to be kept clear - I've jogged down Lee Lane and the new path is excellent. It also boils my blood when I see people walking their dogs with the lead (and so the dog), on the traffic side, not the verge side. Put yourself between the traffic and your helpless animal before moaning that people are doing the speed limit on Lee Lane!

Reply Posted by Anon on Sunday June 9 2013 at 17:39
I must admit I hate Lee Lane, there's too many idiots wat over take u n then slow right down, I agree with mr Race the speed limit should be lowered, there's been far to many accidents on that stretch, to me I no there's been a death on that stretch, let's save life's and change the speed limit

Reply Posted by Jones on Sunday June 9 2013 at 17:57
I almost wrote that this couldn't possibly be in Barnsley until I read it, because I can't see a single pothole. All that changes as soon as you drive up Shaw Lane and on to Paddock Road which is probably one of the worst roads in Barnsley.

Reply Posted by Katie on Sunday June 9 2013 at 18:03
All Lee Lane needs is the bushes and trees cutting down a bit, it is becoming like a forest!... However as I driver I don't see why it should be a 40... There are roads that are worse and are a 60. If walkers are so keen to change the limit then suggest the paths widening seen as though there is plenty of field space to widen it. It's worse when drivers don't go the limit on there and tractors or horses../ Yeah at night or bad weathers its common sense to slow down but for me it should be a 60.. For thought who weren't aware it's a 60 the national speed limit sign is at the bottom and top of Lee lane. Which then going into Royston goes to 30 and then at the top goes 40 onto Wakefield road.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Sunday June 9 2013 at 18:16
It's the idiots lurking in the dips.doing 30 mph that cause the problem with overtaking.

Reply Posted by stevo (real one) on Monday June 10 2013 at 13:24
Nice try FAKE stevo above ^^, I drive on lee lane twice a day on my way to work and I observe the speed limit, I also don't overtake anyone as it is far too dangerous to do so.

Reply Posted by stevo 2 on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 11:17
There are safe passing places on Lee Lane. The road markings say so. I also observe the limit by rhe way. I am not a fake so I changed my title. I have spoken to people who admit that they don't go over 45mph on there. They were astonished when I said that that could be dangerous as the limit is 60 mph. You have to question whether they were fit to drive. One of them was a community nurse who drove all day round Barnsley in her own little bubble of smugness.

Reply Posted by stevo on Thursday June 13 2013 at 20:01
Stevo 2, my apologies, I thought I was yet another person (troll) posting using my name.

Followed a car last night doing 38 mph on lee lane, absolute madness!
Lee lane is a dangerous road due to the dips and curves, there are also double white lines indicating no overtaking until one gets to the crest of the hill near the ranch.

Also has to be said that if BMBC allows planning permission for the horses fields at the end of lee lane then the road is only going to get even more dangerous to drive on.

Reply Posted by Just a thought... on Sunday June 9 2013 at 19:32
How about walking somewhere else? It's not like the only place to walk around here is by a dangerous road. If John (a dear neighbour of mine) had something better to do than moan about Lee Lane, none of us would have to waste our time on here. This isn't news.

Reply Posted by I disagree on Sunday June 9 2013 at 19:41
Wait till the old bugger gets killed then you'll all be moaning. You've been warned

Reply Posted by Stevo2 on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 11:21
How many pedestrians have been injured on that stretch since the footpath was laid? Much more dangerous on Royston High St near the shops which is a 30 limit but wagons regularly mount the kerb where Cobbies used to be. It's not speed, it's bad driving.

Reply Posted by les on Wednesday June 12 2013 at 14:21
You do realise that if the speed limit is reduced below 40 mph you. will have to pick the crap up that your dog leaves and the the council will have to put street lighting up....i would make do with the option of going up the edge of a field.
And that looks like one of those. suicide leads where the dog bolts off under a truck. if it is i think the dogs more frightened than you.
In fact i can here it now .daddy why do you keep trying to kill me up this crazy road.
I prefered it when i could crap on the carpet