Mother Describes Trauma Of Mobility Scooter Accident

Monday June 3 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

A MOTHER has described how her son was 'traumatised' by a mobility scooter accident.

Jeanette Woodcock, 29, said she and two friends were walking with their young children at around 11.40am last Monday when a man driving a mobility scooter came up behind them.

The scooter didn't stop and it drove into them, pushing the group against metal bars erected outside the Butcher's pub beer garden - as well as pushing over a pushchair one of the children was in.

Jeanette, of Wombwell, said her 15-month-old son Blake injured the inside of his mouth during the incident and was bleeding profusely - adding he had been 'traumatised' by the experience.

Her friend Zoe Baker, 21, was left with a sprained ankle, and although her young son was unhurt she said he had been screaming in the night due to nightmares.

Another child was left with a grazed face after the pushchair he was in was shoved on its side.

Jeanette said she does not believe the man meant to drive into them but said he did not take necessary precautions.

She said: "He told us he couldn't stop, which is what upset me, as he should have given us warning. But he was so arrogant - he was awful and really rude about it."

Wombwell Safer Neighbourhod Team Sgt Phil Jenkins said police were investigating the incident as, although the scooters aren't classed as 'mechanically propelled vehicles', they're included in the Road Traffic Act.

Reply Posted by kelly on Monday June 3 2013 at 14:51
I don't care what ppl think, they shouldn't be allowed on pavements or in shopping centre's. They should be made to take a proper scooter driving test along with having at the least insurance.. There a menace not one of them thinks they should have to move, or apologise when they hurt someone... My youngest daughter was 2 wks old my other 18mths, she were in the pushchair and youngest were in a baby carrier, we were in primark & this woman was trying to get round tight corners and drove full pelt straight into us... We were pushed into one of the mirrored pillars luckily I managed to get pushchair out the way but I ended up smashing into the pillar with my daughter taken the fullblow, she cut her face the lot and everyone went running to the old lady, not one person in that shop asked how we were & coz I had the ordestity to have a go I was escorted off the premises... Hope these children are ok shortly x

Reply Posted by Rick on Monday June 3 2013 at 14:56
Might not be a vehicle under the traffic act, but wanton furious driving of a carriage would still apply.

Wanton and Furious Driving

The offence of wanton and furious driving under section 35 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 is committed when bodily harm (i.e. injury) is caused to any person as a result of the manner of driving of a suspect and is not limited to motor vehicles but covers any kind of vehicle or carriage including bicycles.

It is an offence triable only on indictment (except when committed by a youth).

The offence carries a maximum penalty of 2 years imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine. Penalty points and discretionary disqualification can be imposed by the courts under section 28 of the Road Safety Act 2006.

The offence can only be committed if the driver has a degree of subjective recklessness so far as the foreseeabilty of causing injury is concerned. In other words, he or she must appreciate that harm was possible or probable as a result of the manner of driving: see R v Okosi [1996] CLR 666.

Reply Posted by G on Monday June 3 2013 at 16:27
Mobility scooter drivers should definitely be made to take some kind of a test to make sure they are competent enough to drive them safely. They may not be classed as 'mechanically propelled vehicles' but thats what they are, they're not powered by fairy dust are they? They are big and bulky enough to injure pedestrians and cause serious damage so surely measures should be put in place to make sure the people operating them can do so in a safe manner

Reply Posted by observer on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 22:24
I think there was a woman from Barnsley area, whilst in Donny, her young son was dragged along by one of these things. something really serious is going to happen one day and legislation maybe n
brought in. not sure if a test is the answer. maybe an awareness course?, and mandatory insurance. or perhaps a narrow lane on each road similar to cycle lanes to accommodate them they were designed to help on the outlook.

Reply Posted by becky on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 22:31
Theres an old bloke in wombwell that does it on a purpose he ran int a lady called sheila n shed jus recovered frm a hip op n he carried on laughin I fink they shouldnt b allowed on pathways im 21 and ac respect for my elders I get up n stand on bus for them lend an hand if needed but there are some god damn rude old ppl tht finks u owe them something thy can b so ignorant

Reply Posted by Love my dad but on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 22:36

My own father started getting older and had so many crashes in his car he was banned from driving under medical grounds. Now he has quite a fast powerful scooter that can go so much faster than a person can walk, I think its 8 miles per hour and a person walks at less than 4 miles per hour. He has had no training but he does pay road tax and some so called insurance for the scooter (for what its worth) I think it covers theft. He makes people step into the main road while he drives on the pavement and in Asda barnsley today he drove right into a family, He did shout excuse me but because they where reading labels and did not respond instantly he said “ they ignored me so I drove into them, they soon moved then”. I really got scared he might get punched.
I know quite a few mobility scooter owners around us who are not disabled in any way but just over weight and unable to get a car licence so a scooter is better and faster than walking . I think that because I am including my own father in this statement I have the right to say this. There should be more restrictions as well as tighter control over ownership of these scooters.

Reply Posted by gra on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 22:40
how can the police say there not classed as mechanical proppeled vehicles nobody pushes them they are electrical motors which turn the wheels through gears hence electrical energy turned in to mechanical energy hence mechanical propeled simply and are fitted with proper brakes so if this person couldnt stop you can only usume it was either peronal error or insuficant experience

Reply Posted by WTF on Thursday June 6 2013 at 01:16
I am horrified at some of the comments on this issue. I am in no way condoning people driving into people with a mobility scooter but listen to yourselves people. They should not be allowed in shopping centers...........why not? There are thousands of people out there who can not walk far and the mobility scooter gives them the freedom to do their own shopping and get out of the house and you think it should not be allowed! Let's hope you never need one, but if you did you would think long and hard about what comments you made. Thanks to attitudes like yours people are too scared to leave their homes now because of the abuse they receive for being scroungers. Wake up people and stop turning against your own.

Reply Posted by adele on Thursday June 6 2013 at 07:42
My son was run off the road by a man on a mobility scooter while he was coming home from college on his push bike.He ended up crashing in to a wall and his bike is in bits now.The old man was going that fast he had gone by the time my son stood up.he now has to go to college on the bus which is costing him now and I have to buy him a new bike.

Reply Posted by peace on Thursday June 6 2013 at 13:25
without my scooter i would not get out because i cant walk far the fact is people just step in front of you or just stop but as you drive a scooter with the same theory as driveing a car you slow down and take care in busy places some old people go too fast and no respect for anybody else

Reply Posted by Simon on Sunday June 9 2013 at 21:15
They should carry some kind of registration number tha can be seen so if they are involved in an accident they can be traced, they should also have compulsory assessment test and insurance to use them.