Police Criticise School's Handling Of Violence

Tuesday June 4 2013

Netherwood principal Toby Eastaugh Netherwood principal Toby Eastaugh

A POLICE officer has slammed a school's handling of violence.

The criticism comes just weeks after a mother took the decision to home tutor her son due to bullying.

PC Paul Bower said at a public meeting last Monday that staff at Netherwood ALC were too willing to waste police time rather than deal with incidents of bullying themselves.

He went on to describe an incident last week in which he had been called in to the school to deal with a fight.

Julie Hart, 42, of Yvonne Grove, Wombwell, said she had taken her 13-year-old son out of the school because staff had failed to deal with him being bullied.

Principal Toby Eastaugh said: "There have been occasions where parents have contacted the police directly without our knowledge, who in turn have informed us."

Reply Posted by sarah on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 13:25
Happens in all schools in barnsley, they just cant be bothered to deal with it because they are too scared of stupid "my child does not do that sort of thing and if you say it again im right hard and im gonna smash your face in" brigade.

Reply Posted by Jan on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 14:22
I also took the decision to home educate my son. One of the reasons been, I was fed up with him been hurt in the playground ( 3 occasions resulting in hospital treatment, during a 12 month period) and the playground monitors dismissing him when he told them.
When the smaller schools merged into one big super school, the risk was magnified, with no thought put into 'prevention'.
There is such an enphasis on, how important schooling is, but the majority of schools are now been run as a 'bussiness'.
I personaly feel schools do more damage to our youngsters than good. They don't provide a safe,relaxed enviroment, both of which are criteria needed for children to learn.
I have been home educating my son for 9 months. His confidence has grown and his learning has come on leaps and bounds. I am no teacher but just providing a safe enviroment in which to learn in, taking advantage of his most receptive moments, has made all the difference and he has gone from a little boy whom was a nervous wreck, having panic attacks and couldn't sleep on night due to worrying about his homework ect ect, to a happy, confident, relaxed little boy, who just wants to know and learn about everything. ( he's 6yrs old)

Reply Posted by ET on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 14:40
When I first heard of this idea in Barnsley of "Superschools" I wrote here on WAB. I hope these Superschools employ Superstaff with Superskills who educate our kids for Superjobs. These problems highlighted here are just the tip of a fiasco iceburg.

Reply Posted by claire walker on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 14:43
my daughter attends the above named school an its not just bullying from other children but also staff im fed up of going in are phoning up to complain abart it on my last visit i asked to speak to the head teacher and was told i could'nt is'nt that what there ther for.its disgusting since they merged wombwell n darfeild together should neva have happened.

Reply Posted by No name on Friday June 7 2013 at 08:42
Claire i know your daughter very well and i agree that staff also bullys pupils.

Reply Posted by Brian on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 14:48
I hope Jan is not teaching her child to spell, Otherwise we will end up with another illiterate child in Barnsley!

Reply Posted by Sharon Taylor on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 17:34
Brian, I think you ought to check your punctuation. The last time I checked we don't use capital letters after a comma. As for Jan, at least she's doing something constructive and with the on line resources available she should do just fine.

Reply Posted by Not Jan, but certainly not Brian. on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 16:20
Sharon, well played. Brian, think on that whilst Jan isn't the best typist in the world, at least she isn't a condescending comedian with nothing better to do than slate other people.

Reply Posted by John Smith on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 05:36
I think slating other people is exactly what she was doing, in fact, all the staff in the school. If you think that her level of grammar is acceptable on a public forum you are as stupid as she is. The problems in schools are caused by idiotic parents who have already done the damage before their kids get to school age.

Reply Posted by Just get on with it on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 15:52
Criminal responsibility begins at the tender age of 10. Why should teachers (educators and advisers in principle) have to deal with matters that would be considered public disorder/assaults just because it is at the school and between pupils? The police (public order enforcers) should just get on with it. An assault is an assault no matter what the age or location of the perpetrator/victim.

Police involvement may make some students think twice and would protect the ailing profession of teaching.

Reply Posted by Tony on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 16:02
Bullying has got worse in schools overall, You only have to see the reports on Bullying all over the internet, Some Children have even took there own lives.

Both My Children have red hair, They have suffered verbal bullying for years, The Schools response has been to ignore it or pretend it does not happen and tell the child to grow up, If it was a racist comment being said to another child in a playground they would soon put a stop to it, There is no difference! any sort of verbal abuse or bullying causes alarm and distress to a child and singles them out as being different from the norm. My Son who is now 10 has never retaliated through the years of abuse, being kicked punched or excluded due to his hair colour, He recently did retaliate and gave a boy who has verbally bullied him for years and is older than him a good hiding on the way home from school, Now he's been reprimanded by the School and has to go for a Police interview, But guess what, the name calling and bullying has stopped now they know he can stand up for himself, Schools need to address this situation in the early years and make it clear it is not acceptable to verbally abuse someone else because there different.

Reply Posted by sarah on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 18:16
Brian my children attend the same school as Jans little boy did and they are to be pulled out in september.I can assure you she is doing a much better job than the school regardless of her spelling mistake. I can also assure you that some of the teachers should be classed as bullies as they try to intimidate parents as well as the pupils.They also only deal with a problem when the victim can take no more and turns round on the bullies and its always the one whos taken the crap for months that gets into trouble.

Reply Posted by Cathy on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 18:19
Good Luck Jan, you sound like a caring and able mother. The negative swipe by Brian is unfortunate, I'm glad Sharon has pointed out his failings.
In my opinion bullying should always be nipped in the bud, zero tolerence is the most effective way to deal with it.

Reply Posted by lyndon on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 18:40
Well done bri great input as per

Reply Posted by EX foulstoner. on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 22:27
The staff are just as bad, I am glad I don't work there I work at a primary school in Barnsley. The head is useless I don't know why they've employed him, my sister goes to that school and she complains every time about her being bullied by a member of staff and students, the staff should know bloody better. Absolute piece of rubbish get your acts together Toby and sort that bloody school out you useless man..

Reply Posted by Was a foulstone pupil on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 22:43
I completely agree with you Sarah! They only deal with the problem when it's already too late. I remember one lunch time a boy was throwing glass at me and my friends. I repeatedly told the lunch staff on duty at the time and they did nothing. I couldn't take it anymore, so I resorted in hitting the boy because nothing else would stop him. Then, I was the one who nearly got expelled! When he was throwing glass at me! It's disgusting how bullied children are treated.

Reply Posted by amanda on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 06:35
The head of the above school spoke to me and my husband only this monday. He was so nasty in the way he spoke to us and our daughter hasn't started there yet.

Reply Posted by Jan on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 15:19
All I can say to parents is: Trust your gut. They are your kids and you know whats best for them.
When they were babies, the professionals preached "every child is different and will do things in their own time"
As soon as they reach school age, they are expected to 'all be the same'... behave the same, know the same ect ect.
Their idividual self is stripped away and if they don't behave or know the same as the majority, they are labelled, ie:problem child,problem parents,ADHD,learning difficulties ect ect.
What happened to the advice given when they were babies, they will come to it in their own time, everyone is different.

Reply Posted by D'VND on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 05:39
It's etc you moron

Reply Posted by Brian on Wednesday June 5 2013 at 20:11
ect,ect !!!!!!! What is that the abbreviation for ? Has Jan ever heard of a dictionary, Wikipedia, Latin or maybe spell checking her work ? Could education in some people's eyes mean 8 hours on an X Box ?

Reply Posted by David on Friday June 7 2013 at 20:40
For Brian. This quote is not a criticism, just an observation

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving". (Dan Carnegie 1888-1955).

I applaud anyone who takes the difficult decision to take their child out of a failing system, regardless of their own ability. The spirit required to do the best for their child is something that is not evident in a number of parents, who would be quite willing for their child to flounder, just for a quiet life...on X Box perhaps.

Brian, it may give you a great deal of satisfaction posting about other people making a small error in their typing, but that is not what this article was about. It was about childhood bullying and lack of support which to you, I would imagine, is not nearly as important as a person's grammar.

Remember, not a criticism, just an observation.

Reply Posted by bepbojeb on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 05:43
This article is about standards in school. If you think that doesn't include spelling then you are adding to the problem. By the way, nice quote from over 100 years ago. Maybe the kids just need sending down the pits or up chimneys.

Reply Posted by annonimus on Thursday June 6 2013 at 11:14
i go there and i get bullied a lot and nothing gets done and i always tell the student manager or one of the behavier support team

Reply Posted by frydog on Thursday June 6 2013 at 11:16
me too and i get mad and i sometimes hit them but sometimes i carnt

Reply Posted by no name on Thursday June 6 2013 at 11:24

Reply Posted by NO NAME on Thursday June 6 2013 at 11:51
I GO THERE AND MY BEST FRIEND USED TO GET BULLIED ALOT AND SHES BEEN TO THE POLICE SEVIRAL TIMES AND ITS GOT SORTED BUT STARTED AGAIN THE SCHOOL DONT CARE ITS REDICULUS X

Reply Posted by No Name on Friday June 7 2013 at 08:40
I go to that school and i'm a victem of bullys and the school does naf all its stupid x

Reply Posted by Simon on Friday June 7 2013 at 20:12
Maybe the Police don't want to get involved so they can keep their stats low so they can pretend everything is OK.

Reply Posted by Ann on Friday June 7 2013 at 20:28
That's a a really silly thing to say James. I'm not ginger and I get bullied for having a horse face

Reply Posted by sarah on Friday June 7 2013 at 20:53
James im ginger and NEVER got bullied so can I take it from your comment you would have bullied me. You may have tried it once but you wouldnt have ever bullied anyone again!

Reply Posted by Big Bev on Friday June 7 2013 at 20:56
U GO GIRLFRIEND @sarah

Reply Posted by sarah on Friday June 7 2013 at 22:22
Ive been called many things but never a ginger beast! and yes big bev id do it for all us ginners out there lol

Reply Posted by les on Saturday June 8 2013 at 23:12
Re sharon taylor note to brian on the english language.
You do not have a full stop and then start a new sentence with a vowel.
But then you would know that , because you are that clever to pull other people up for there errors. typical know it all.
Theres one in every blog

Reply Posted by David on Sunday June 9 2013 at 20:48
As far as I am aware you can start a sentence with a vowel. I am not sure where this idea is from but it is incorrect. A sentence can start with any letter, vowel or consonant, but you cannot use a linking word to start a sentence such as 'And'. I hope that clarifies things a little better. If you wish to pull others up on their grammar, it is always best to be in full knowledge of the facts. I hope that you do not take the view that I am criticising, I am just trying to assist.

Reply Posted by les on Saturday June 8 2013 at 23:44
Heres a few examples of why people get
bullied.
There blonde.
There ginger.
Big feet.
Fat.
Skinny.
Large boobs.
Small boobs.
Asian.
Black.
Polish.
Long nose.jewish nose.big fingers.
Well off parents. poor parents. they smell.
Talk too much. not friendly.
Not part of the gang...........................
Parents are one of the worst reasons
there children are bullies or are bullied at school because , they themselves instill hatred into there children.
Laughing at peoples disability effin packys
in this country. tellin there kids in pushchairs to shut the fxck up .
Being at home with there parents while thereknockin back vodcas. everything rubs off and there frustrations of home go with them to school the thing is you will all believe that im talking about poor people.
imtalking about all classes of people .
Those at private schools. posh kids, every class.
And it has always been the same, nothing is different from any other time in school history.....when kids are born they are on a rollercoaster of learning and they only copy what they are taught by older people

Reply Posted by David on Sunday June 9 2013 at 21:03
I agree Les. It is nothing to do with class where bullying is found to exist. It is through misinformation and ignorance in many instances. It certainly has little to do with education, as it occurs at the best schools in the country. I can understand the notion that bullying has not changed but in some respects the manner of it has got worse. Government, council, community groups have worked hard to remove the stigma of homophobia, racism, abuse against the disabled, physical or mental, with campaigns, changes in legislation both at national and local levels...and yet the bullying continues.

With all these campaigns you would have hope that the message that bullying should not be tolerated at any level, or in any area of life, ought to have filtered through by now, yet here we are with another sad tale of not only bullying pupils out of mainstream education, but that staff that are there to protect these said pupils are standing by and letting it happen. I do not know who I think the worst of in this instance, the bully or the one who stands by. I think this quote sums it up

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Reply Posted by les on Sunday June 9 2013 at 22:22
The sad thing about bullying is, it is not
likely to improve whatever we say because
today there are worse things like facebook
that follows children home and so it continues in there private hideaway.
My advice is that no one should have facebook for friends at school or other as this is the biggest problem with technology.
People who are your friends can at the touch of a keypad change someones friendship into suicide by hate mongers at school.
There will allways be a certain amount. of bullying to smaller degree.
What i find just as serious is someone who is not a bully can become a bully in self defence.

Reply Posted by spellchecker on Monday June 10 2013 at 21:58
i bet brian got bullied

Reply Posted by kaz on Monday June 10 2013 at 23:51
Netherwood alc have no control .my friends child has been bullied on countless occasions n their answer is phone the police . Why carnt they handle this situation themselves .answer they carnt be bothered so they pass buck to police grow a pair netherwood n make our kids safe all that school is good for is sending the victaims home instead of the bullys making our kids lose precious study time rant over but it does need sorting

Reply Posted by Cas on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 08:52
Perhaps the police should be told every time there is an instance of bullying by parents I bet the school will soon get it sorted then. Assault and abuse works both ways and that includes verbal assault as well Words can be more damaging than physical abuse sometimes. I read this verse and it usually makes me bite my tongue when I get annoyed with my kids.
Sticks and Stones will break my bones but words will never leave me.

Reply Posted by Jan on Tuesday June 11 2013 at 18:20
I get the feeling Brian doesn't like my comments. I wonder why?

Reply Posted by i dont know my name sorry on Thursday June 20 2013 at 12:13
hello

Reply Posted by Concerned Teacher Number 157,899 on Tuesday June 25 2013 at 16:14
You all make valid points. However, it is extremely difficult for schools to manage bullying as it often happens out of sight. At break or lunchtime, after school and beyond. Children can be incredibly devious when it comes to how and why they bully someone. When bullying occurs in my classrooms I deal with it with a high level of severity, as I would attempt to if a child reported bullying to me. However, the school often takes a different stance. I believe that serious incidents of bullying, involving physical violence, should definitely be reported to the police and also to Social Services. If a child is using violence as a weapon at a young age, there is a problem at home, full stop.

I work in a school in Barnsley. Not the one mentioned above. It is an absolute nightmare. Most of the bullying at this school happens to kids who actually want to learn and do the work. It's an utter disgrace. Most of my time in lessons is spent on behavioural management. Asking politely doesn't work, making demands doesn't work, shouting definitely doesn't work and referral often doesn't work because that's what the most difficult kids want. It gets them out of lessons and lets them see their friends who are the other badly behaved children in the school. Its like a social club for frequently poorly behaved children.

Many have no discipline whatsoever or no regard for adult authority. In fact, they actively rebel against it. This begins in the home not in a school. Once a child has been punished severely many times at home or becomes accustomed to shouting and violence in the home this becomes a way of life. And children are like sponges. They soak up what goes on around them. No rules at home? Aggression at home? Translates directly into the classroom both at other children and us as teachers, who are only trying to educate these kids. This is becoming impossible... and the good kids are the ones who suffer for it.

I'm sick of this attitude of the 'needs of the many' in education. There is not a one size fits all approach. Some of these kids need to be removed and placed in other schools which are suited to their behavioural problems and educational needs. This will mean that a larger percentage of kids in these schools actually leave with some kind of education.

If there are not some serious changes soon, both in the way difficult kids are handled by schools, parents and the local authority at large, failing schools will lose good teachers, not be able to recruit new good teachers and schools will eventually close down, leaving local kids with a severely disrupted education and the local economy even worse off than it is now. Which is pretty bad already, isn't it?

And parents, please, for goodness sake, tell your kids how important education is and to give at least a little respect to teachers. Fewer NEETs is a good thing for Barnsley, and the way things look in some of the schools in the area, 90% of a generation, in 5 years time, are going to be out of work in a market where there are no jobs. Particularly for kids with no provable education. Not good.

Reply Posted by Dr Debate on Tuesday May 20 2014 at 13:21
That's an excellent post and very constructive. Just add Respect Respect and more respect is missing in today's society.

35 years ago when I was at Comprehensive school you could have put a TV crew in 3 teachers classroom and another 3 in different teachers classroom,s and you would have conclude one would show the best school in town and the other the worst school in town.

My point is which ever classroom you was in you had the jack the lads and some very big handy lads. However respect Directly towards a teacher was never abused you just did not disrespect any teacher.

Sadly there's no respect anymore Respect starts at home

Reply Posted by UNKOWN on Saturday July 27 2013 at 17:20
that school is a load of rubbish, the staff cannot do anything, if its out of school time they arent even botherd

Reply Posted by jon bradford on Tuesday May 20 2014 at 09:58
I went for an interview at this school as a teacher. I can only say I was utter impressed with the management, kids and atmosphere in the school. I would love to have worked there. Good luck to all who do