Hundreds Threatened With Eviction

Thursday May 30 2013

Hundreds threatened after bedroom tax kicks in Hundreds threatened after bedroom tax kicks in

MORE than 700 people across Barnsley have been threatened with eviction after falling behind with their rent because of the 'bedroom tax'.

Berneslai Homes has sent out the first stage letters telling people they could lose their homes if they don't pay up.

There are 3,500 people in the town who get housing benefit and are affected by the bedroom tax, and many have been left struggling to make ends meet.

Susan Moore, 55, of Clipstone Avenue, Athersley North, has not paid anything since the 'bedroom tax' came into effect on April 1. She is classed as having one spare bedroom.

She has received a letter saying she owes £46.85 in rent arrears and that she must pay within seven days or could face legal action which could lead to eviction.

Before April 1, Susan received 100 per cent housing benefit and did have to not pay anything towards her rent. She now has to pay £9.50 per week.

Susan, who had a kidney transplant last June, said: "I haven't paid anything because I can't afford to pay.

"I get £170 for two weeks - I have bills like everyone else.

"If I paid that money, I would have to sacrifice food."

Susan, who also suffers from depression, said she survives on toast, cornflakes and biscuits and only buys food when any of her 21 grandchildren come to stay.

She has been to the Citizen's Advice Bureau who are looking into her case but in the meantime, she is still unable to pay and is getting further into arrears.

Barnsley MP Dan Jarvis said many of those receiving rent arrears letters would never have been behind with their rent before and he would be working closely with the council and Berneslai Homes to try and prevent the situation from deteriorating.

“I am sure Berneslai Homes will now want to now work carefully, hand in hand with residents to support people who have fallen behind with payments and provide much needed assistance - as they have done for other cases of arrears. I know that eviction is an absolute last resort which no one wants to see happening, especially is such a shocking and unfair situation."

Berneslai Homes said it could not give assurances that action won't be taken against those who don't pay.

Reply Posted by Lisa on Thursday May 30 2013 at 11:43
I think it's disgusting our government are meant to be there to help us but we are going to have more people homeless because of all this. I have friends who are struggling and can't afford to put food in their stomach its a disgrace especially in this day and age

Reply Posted by Robert on Thursday May 30 2013 at 11:50
... but you can bet your bottom dollar that Westminster doesn't starve!

Reply Posted by Amanda on Thursday May 30 2013 at 11:44
If they cant afford to pay for the spare room then they should ask for a smaller house. They are stopping larger families getting a much needed house.
£9.50 per week for a house with a spare room isnt much. They should think themselves lucky they dont have to pay a mortgage. If it is a council house, they dont even have to pay for repairs so thats another bill they dont have to find the money for. And the same for private rented.
Ppl should stop moaning about having to a little bit towards their living when working ppl have to pay 100% of everything and get no help what so ever.

Reply Posted by Shirley on Thursday May 30 2013 at 12:05
I agree with you Amanda.If we have to pay why shouldn't others.I wish i only had to pay £9.50 a week.

Reply Posted by Mary on Saturday June 1 2013 at 18:27
Most of the people who are struggling financially appear to be those who are working but on poor wages who are either in private rented or mortgaged homes. They get no help with any bills yet there are people who have never worked in social housing who get help with their bills. How can this be fair? How can it be that the unemployed have money spare for phones and the internet and staffy bull terriers and new clothes and beer money and cig money when my working friends are in debt and cannot afford to put food on the table? Is that fair ?

Reply Posted by Robert on Thursday May 30 2013 at 11:45
This government is no better than a trumped up Nazi party. It is about time we got out the pitch forks and walked to Westminster to remind them who pays the wages... At this rate, people WILL revolt and this government will be toppled.

Reply Posted by Suz on Thursday May 30 2013 at 11:50
Its beyond a joke this bedroom tax my friend is the same as this poor lady she hasnt paid since it came in either because she just cant afford to and shes also been threatened with eviction she gets £80 a week and yes like the lady in this article and everyone has things to pay she doesnt eat she buys reduced food she doesnt have a fridge or freezer because she cant afford it her old one broke she never has heating on cos its too expensive she went all through winter with bad snow with no heating for months on end and she suffered from living in cold conditions she had to be given antibiotics and alsorts the government really need to pay attention and sort this mess out because theres gonna be so many ppl losing there homes when they literally cant afford £1 whos gonna be at fault then? My friend wont even ask for help from the council because they dont care just think its another sob story

Reply Posted by Laura on Thursday May 30 2013 at 12:07
Has this lady been offered a one bedroom house in the same (or similar) location instead? If Berneslai Homes can't offer a suitable alternative, then I don't think they should charge it. In my opinion, only if they can prove that they have offered a suitable alternative should they be entitled to request the extra. If she lives on her own she would be better off in a small accommodation type which would cost less to run anyway.
I don't claim benefit, and I live in a house that is big enough for my family, and one which I can afford to run (for now, unless my business goes under!) If my business goes under we will have to down size to something that we can afford. It's a no brainer for those who earn, so why is it so difficult for those who don't? (The answer is because Berneslai Homes don't have enough 1 bedroomed accommodation to meet the demand, but the Loonies in Central Government never considered that did they!?)

Reply Posted by Rach on Thursday May 30 2013 at 12:13
Sorry but i think its fair, to say she cant get food is just ridiculous, everyone else pays rent why is she special? If she has 21 grandchildren she obviously has quite a few children..... They should help her out, its not the governments job to do this, sorry but i fully support the bedroom tax, we have a mortgage n no spare rooms, if we wanted a spare room wed have to buy a bigger house, which means more money every month to the mortgage...... Its life love deal wi it, fed up wi scroungers thinkin their entitled to everything for nothing

Reply Posted by Amanda on Thursday May 30 2013 at 12:20
well said

Reply Posted by Bri on Thursday May 30 2013 at 12:14
There is a peaceful way to stop the Bedroom Tax, it requires everybody who is effected by the Tax to simply not pay it. The authorities cannot take 660,000 people to court, nor could they evict that many people. Imagine what would happen if they tried. Civil War would start. No civilized government (local or central) dare risk that happening.

The Unite Union is supporting local community campaigns to ''Axe-the bedroom-Tax''. Contact your local Unite Union office today for further details.

Remember; ''Unity Is Strength''. If we all join together and ''DO NOT PAY'' we can stop the Bedroom Tax.

Reply Posted by maria on Thursday May 30 2013 at 12:14
wish i ad only £9.50 a week to pay for livin i got my pwn house pay full council tax work full tome and is skint all time but id rather pay for myself n av self respect i get no help from no1 if u cant afford the bedroom tax move social housin is the for ppl who need help n not there for a life style move or pay up n stop winegin n pay like every other hard workin person makes me angry ppl just expect help

Reply Posted by Amanda on Thursday May 30 2013 at 12:24
Both me n my partner work full time and we are always skint as we have to pay 100% for everything and also got endless repairs on the house.
Makes me feel like slapping ppl when they say they cant afford things because they are on benefits.
My sisters are on benefits and got council houses and they both get more than me n my partner put together a week. Its a joke, working ppl are worse off in the long run.
I say the new bedroom tax isnt high enough

Reply Posted by FGS on Thursday May 30 2013 at 12:21
For Gods sake more sensational journalism, they have received 1st stage letters with a mandatory sentence saying it could lead to eviction.

This woman has 21 Grandkids, so if that equates to approx 4 kids a family she has probably had 5 kids of her own, divide £9.50 by 5 and that equates to less than £2 each family to see their Mum through these hard times. Is that too much to give to someone who has raised you? The shameful thing about this is her family who are not pulling together to help her through what seems to be hard times and when they dump the kids they should provide and not make a strain on the grandparent.

A recovering renal transplant patient still has dietary requirements post surgery, not as severe as when living with renal failure but still needing more than biscuits, cornflakes and toast ... I find it hard to believe that anyone can survive on this post renal surgery and there are special benefits for people with essential dietary needs.

Reply Posted by just me on Thursday May 30 2013 at 13:02
As a family on benefits and trying extremely hard to get work all i can say is THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD!!! Sick to death of people in work thinking its ok to slate people on benefits ,were not ALL happy to survive on this and i mean survive, in our case dont drink/smoke cant even take my son to the pics for a treat IT IS SOUL DESTROYING so please have some compation for god sake ....

Reply Posted by Mary on Saturday June 1 2013 at 18:32
Both me and my partner work and we cannot afford to take our kids out either so stop whingeing. Why do you think you should have that right? if it was down to me all people on benefits would be given a card pre loaded to use on food, fuel and bills. Not the internet, big tvs, cars, holidays, cigs, beers, spare rooms and so on. If you do not like workers opinions about benefit scroungers then get a job. End of.

Reply Posted by Ian on Thursday May 30 2013 at 13:33
Cuts in services means cuts in jobs. It could easily be you on benefits next. What hurts is our "caring" social landlord threatening legal action which may result in eviction for less than one week's rent When did they change that rule?

Reply Posted by Jill Carter on Thursday May 30 2013 at 13:51
Too many people have had it easy for too long. We all have to help clear the debt in some small way. I am a single mother of two young children and work hard to pay my mortgage every month. I would only claim benefits if I had to and even then I would do whatever I could to get back into work. It isn't just about money, it's also principle, making a contribution and having a purpose in life. My children see me going to work every morning and appreciate we all need to put something in to get something out, and therefore they are growing up with a work ethic. The cuts are fair. Quite frankly is gauls me to see how little people in council properties pay in rent - they have no idea how Easy they have it. Maybe giving up drinking and smoking would help release money for food and rent!!! As far as disability is concerned then that can be claimed for too and healthy foods such as pasta and vegetables aren't expensive so there is no reason to exist on an unhealthy diet.

Reply Posted by markus on Thursday May 30 2013 at 14:41
pay ya bloody rents and stop chiffing moaning, an of ya dont like ya still cheap rent try provaye renting or mortgage then yal know wat its like in real world !!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by daz on Thursday May 30 2013 at 15:16
there aint enuf 1 bed prop for ev1 to move out so why shud pple do without a roof ovr there head so a family can move maybe if pple used protection nd stop avin kids for ev1 who works to pay for. Familys need stop relying on benifits if u av kids ya shud bloody pay for um ya sens.i av to top my rent up 136 pound i dnt complain and am on benifits and i pay my rent and bills and council tax so shud other pple not on drugs n booze!

Reply Posted by daz on Thursday May 30 2013 at 15:44
and am on my own why r people moaning at topping the rent up £9.50 a wk if u ad top up £136 a month out of 176 a fortnight i cud understand get a grip is what sum pple nd to do!

Reply Posted by just me on Thursday May 30 2013 at 18:26
WOW NEARLY £90 A WEEK FOR A SINGLE PERSON HMMMM IM DOIN SUMET SEEN AS WERE ON £110 FOR A COUPLE WTF............

Reply Posted by Graham on Thursday May 30 2013 at 19:01
Looks like this thread has attracted a lot of comments from scroungers. All of you, grow up, get real and get it paid. If you all really wanted a job, you could get one. Stop whinging, take a good look at yourselves and get on with it. If you are unable to take responsibility for yourselves then I have no sympathy for you and you deserve to be turfed out on to the street.

Reply Posted by stevo on Friday May 31 2013 at 19:55
So Graham the tory boy pipes up, go and spew your bile somewhere else tory boy, you and your nasty comments are not welcome or wanted on here.

Reply Posted by Grim on Saturday June 1 2013 at 18:35
Says Stevo the socialist master!! I like Graham' comments and if he is a tory or not has nothing to do with it. Why don't you go elsewhere instead?

Reply Posted by worker on Thursday May 30 2013 at 20:30
How many that are moaning about bedroom tax are working on side or living with someone and not declareing it. Quite a few I would say .so stop moaning and be honest ..just pay up

Reply Posted by A mum on Thursday May 30 2013 at 20:46
I cannot live with my kids because there is no 2 or 3 bedroom houses available, so I'm sorry but if your living in a house with extra bedrooms then to right you pay for the privilege to do so, look at the price I'm paying for you to have that extra space. Or better still get a job and get off benefits

Reply Posted by Non scrounger on Thursday May 30 2013 at 20:53
I have worked all my life, brought up 3 kids yet it appears that my children are getting charged bedroom tax, they are part of the scroungers that work on the side live with their partners but don't declare it and scrounge off the government, I have also got family from my partners side who are the same. Therefor I think it's about time that the people that live round them grass them up for claiming benefits they are not entitled to and then moan for having to pay a few quid a week. You may ask why I don't grass them up and as they say blood is thicker than water. I do not and never condone what they do and if your thinking I should grass them up ask yourself would you grass your immediate family up. If you answer honest then your answer will be no.

Reply Posted by nan on Thursday May 30 2013 at 23:54
Grassers are the lowest of the low.
But if you have benefit scroungers working on the side I suggest you grass em up.
I would if I had to.

Reply Posted by lilly on Friday May 31 2013 at 11:30
i am on benefits and i am sick and tiered of reading about people in the same position as me not being able to live, its a load of rubbish,i live on my own so get a sight lot less money than people with kids,as soon as i heard rumors about the bedroom tax i used my head and moved from a 2 bed to a 1 bed and didn't wait untill the mass scramble for down sizing started,i don't have any luxurys i dont drink, smoke,have holidays etc which is exactly how it should be,i have one meal a day usually from the reduced section i dont have heating in the winter i get the duvet off the bed,i worked all my life untill i became ill and had to go onto benefits and i am very gratefull for what i do get i don't think i should have the same lifestyle as someone who goes out to work,and people on benefits should be gratefull for what they do have instead of constantly moaning about what they dont. i have to pay rent and council tax utility bills same as anyone else,i make sure everything is payed and then live off whatever i have left.the one thing i do have to say to the people who constantly state i have to pay a massive mortgage is that you chose to take out a mortgage so i dont think its fair to blame people on benefits if you are finding it hard to manage ,if everyone was thrown off benefits you would still have to pay your mortgage and would still be struggling .and a final message to all benefit claiments stop moaning pay your bills and be thankfull you have a roof over your heads.

Reply Posted by Grasser on Saturday June 1 2013 at 11:36
our local scroungers went to vegas to get wed. 2 new cars on drive, hols abroad, working on side pub every night. i dobied them up but nowt happend. makes me sick

Reply Posted by les on Saturday June 1 2013 at 23:48
I think that people who own there own house should pay poll tax and people should stop being alloed vat back on fuel and other things.
That would soon show how many people would have a reverse moan about having to close the gap on worse off people.
The government is fully intent on screwing
everyone for the next 20 years so dont get too above yourselves you will be next one way and another. how many of you everyday moan about the price of fuel even though in wage earnings ratio it is no more expensive today than it was 40 years ago.
Food is a ridiculously cheap thing to buy
you can either buy a pot noodle for 1:00 or you can get one just as good for 22p you can pay 1:49 for 1ltr of water or get it out of the tap for about 1:00 for 40 gallons you all really need to think on both sides of the argument are you just a bunch of moaners from all walks of life

Reply Posted by billy on Sunday June 2 2013 at 17:41
to all of those snobby stuck up **** who think bcause they are working they have the right to judge the unemployed.i have only this to say to you lot.i hope you loose your jobs and i hope you cant keep up your morgage payments and you all get evicted from your homes.you are a disgrace to the human race and i hope you all join the ranks of the unemployed very soon.

Reply Posted by billy on Sunday June 2 2013 at 18:07
as for you would be grassers.what kind of sick perverted pleasure does it give you to go grassing people up.i bet you got things that that you dont want made public.you think your really clever reporting people.what do you get out of it.does it really make you feel good watching other people suffer.you think your some kind of gods passing judgement on those that are not as lucky as you are with all your fancy cars and holidays abroad but you aint gods.you are the lowest form of life and just two faced sad little would be grassers.

Reply Posted by Graham on Sunday June 2 2013 at 19:12
billy - you really are a 'silly billy'
Anyone stealing from the public purse should be reported to the relevant authority. There is no doubt about that. I hope that you are not guilty of stealing.

Reply Posted by les on Sunday June 2 2013 at 19:28
Im sure none of the richer people have ever fiddled no of course you havnt for one thing anyone with more than one house is a tax dodger. anyone who has an accountant is a tax dodger . all the people with plenty of money are tax dodgers always wanting more so stop using the low paid as an excuse for your own fiddling

Reply Posted by Graham on Sunday June 2 2013 at 19:47
Tell me les, how do you arrive at the conclusion that if a person has more than one house they are a tax dodger? Also, why are people with plenty of money tax dodging? Could it not be that they have a specialised talent and have been well rewarded for it? Could they be running a successful business? Could it be that people have inherited money? I would be interested if you could justify your comments.

Reply Posted by les on Sunday June 2 2013 at 20:33
I didnt say it was open to debate
i made a comment that through my knowledge no one has the right to condemn other classes on who does and who doesnt fiddle. when they do it themselves and as i said they do after all if you look at councillors fiddling expenses as a for instance that is fiddling getting an extra reciept to give the vatman putting money into property claiming here there and everywhere grants for propertys .
Putting money into offshores. into forign banks you can go through a thousand more items and its still the same just a posh word for fiddling.what class of people do you think evoked the words tax dodger...the poor

Reply Posted by Graham on Sunday June 2 2013 at 22:37
Les, can I ask you something? Are you on drugs?

Just interested.

Reply Posted by Hi on Monday June 3 2013 at 09:16
honestly looking at all these comments I really have to ask the question does it really matter? I am a worker who is skint and I know people who are unemployed and shockingly enough they are skint too. The bedroom tax does annoy me for reasons I am not willing to air on here but the restrictions they have on it for me seems morally wrong teenagers of opposite sex should not be sharing a room and it shouldn't be encouraged by the council to do so. Now I have my own home and do not agree with Les's comment about poll tax as I have to pay full council tax and all repairs to my property which does mount up over the last few winters we have been having 2 repairs to roofing (not cheap) personally I don't think we are any worse off than others given if we work or not all has its pro's and con's. If there is a valid reason you are not working then I cannot see the problem by going on benefits but if people are just taking them with no reason and complaining this is only one persons fault. I have asked before when I fell on hard times for help but got turned away as my situation didnt match any criteria.
Sorry for going on just wanted to get my opinion out there.
There is some very smart and know it all comments on here I am not trying to jump on any band wagon just trying to say look around we are all skint.

Reply Posted by les on Monday June 3 2013 at 11:53
Graham . that is just the sort of thing i meant and you fell straight for it in the school boy attitude.
Because someone says something against the other side. " he or she must be on drugs" well to answer. no
i dont drink and ive never taken drugs . i have spent 10 years working for the government. and i know what goes off in all walks of life

Reply Posted by Graham on Monday June 3 2013 at 15:51
Les, I think that just about confirms it; you are on drugs.

Take my advice and seek help.