Dream Barnsley Home Scoops Award

Tuesday May 28 2013

The Woolley The Woolley

A DREAM home in Barnsley has been voted the best in the region.

Proud owners David Staniland, 58, and Katie Woffindin, 56, built their dream home on Woolley Colliery Road in Darton on the site of the former Woolley pub, which was gutted by a fire in December 2009.

The new house won the title of best individual house at the South Yorkshire and Humber building excellence awards.

Named 'The Woolley', it beat off competition from other new homes to win the top title for excellence in design, construction and workmanship.

The project - which took just over 12 months to complete - saw the pub replaced with a stunning five-bedroom property, complete with an indoor swimming pool.

"I'm the worst DIYer in the world - I have never done anything like this before," said David. "But I am a businessman and I thought if I can manage a business I should be able to apply those skills to managing the build of a house."

The property produces the majority of its own electricity through air source heat pumps and solar panels. It's also timber framed, super insulated and there are more than 300 LED low-energy bulbs throughout the house.

Reply Posted by Tom on Tuesday May 28 2013 at 11:50
How much was the build cost, and how easily can I get planning permission from Barnsley council to build a proper house like this. My current slavebox is too small.

Reply Posted by observer on Tuesday May 28 2013 at 11:53
ye. very strange how pubs mysteriously burn to the ground isn't it? pubs which are \ were steeped in history. listed buildings etc. all the listings go out the window once beams etc are destroyed by fire.

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Tuesday May 28 2013 at 13:33
He bought it after it had been burnt down, David donated money to the cricket club opposite as well as a goodwill gesture to help them make some improvements to the grounds.

Nice people by all accounts, and it took less than a year to build, could do with David having a word with the council about how to manage a project from start to finish, I reckon they could learn something.

Reply Posted by STEVO on Tuesday May 28 2013 at 19:05
Yes both are very nice people and this house is lovely.

Or would you prefer a shell of a building that kids were playing in and vandalising?

Reply Posted by jonno on Wednesday May 29 2013 at 09:15
well said Stevo, got to be better than looking at what was there.

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest. on Tuesday May 28 2013 at 23:05
mental int it stevo, I remember woolley as it was before it burnt down and some grand old pub it was not. like many pubs in the area it was run down and scruffy, and had was constantly changing hands. left it would be shut down and vandalised.

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday May 29 2013 at 10:43
It WAS a nice pub when the carpet magnate bought it and did it out, the food was spot on too.
Damning indictment of todays pub co society, as soon as they are starting to fail they pull the plug.

Shame as I spent many a happy hour in there.

A lovely house and definitely brightens up the area.

Reply Posted by D on Thursday May 30 2013 at 17:26
Jealously is a terrible thing.. I wish I had it and they had one better!!

Reply Posted by Rog on Thursday May 30 2013 at 18:15
The house is so footballers wives...architecturally and design speaking...it is so bad

Reply Posted by grim on Sunday June 2 2013 at 12:10
I agree it is very bling. Typical crap architecture of todays elite homes.

Shame most people in Barnsley live in tiny boxes when these business people are spending a shed load on a house like this. Plus ordinary people would never get the planning permission I am sure. Nothing to do with jealousy but typical divide between rich and poor. And no I am not on benefits or in social housing.

Reply Posted by Dave on Sunday June 2 2013 at 12:25
Good luck to the pair of them. If I was in the same position I would do exactly the same.

Reply Posted by Brian on Thursday May 30 2013 at 19:12
I wonder what type of house Rog lives in? I Would imagine social housing if I |was guessing.

Reply Posted by Rog on Sunday June 2 2013 at 12:20
No Brian .i don't Live in social housing..one of my intrests is modern architecture and this house is a mish mash..Roman columns..please

Reply Posted by Barnsley Truth on Sunday June 2 2013 at 13:34
The common jealousy expressed in these comments is typical of Barnsley. I understand why David and Katie built on this site, and the build looked well managed and efficient. My only criticism is why build anything in This area at all. ,!!