Soldier Stole Thousands From His Brother's Bank Account

Wednesday May 22 2013

Brother stole thousands Brother stole thousands

A SOLDIER took thousands of pounds from the bank account of his brother whom he impersonated after coming back from seven months on the front line in Afghanistan.

Ricky Clark, 21, took £6,010 from his brother Ben and squandered it on things like gambling, Barnsley Magistrates' Court was told.

Clark, a gunner, dipped into the bank account 22 times after getting hold of his brother's bank statements, said Chantel Lowery-Green, prosecuting.

She said Clark found the deception easy because the bank asked him questions he could answer such as the maiden name of his mother.

Mrs Lowery-Green said: "Mr Clark's brother has not spoken to him since this happened. He has since been reimbursed by the bank."

Philip Stables, defending, said Clark, of Park View, Worsbrough, was described by superior officers as 'an excellent, reliable and trustworthy soldier' who had seen danger during his term in Afghanistan.

He said Clark was about to start a short term in a prison in Colchester following a court martial for going absent without leave.

District Judge John Foster gave Clark a 12-week jail sentence, suspended for a year. He said he would have put anyone else in different circumstances straight behind bars.

Mr Foster said: "Very few people have to endure active service and danger like you have. I cannot disregard that.

"It seems to me you underwent some kind of personality change while you were in Afghanistan.

"This is a sad case because you committed this offence against your brother. That will have ramifications I do not have any control over."

Clark, who admitted fraud by false representation, was ordered to do 150 hours of unpaid work, to pay £85 in costs and an £80 victim surcharge.

He was also ordered to undergo a year of supervision.

Reply Posted by Katie on Wednesday May 22 2013 at 10:10
Don't you think this lads been thru enough without naming and shaming him on ere who's interest is this story in . No ones I suggest you find out wat this lads been thu before you name and shame

Reply Posted by Marie on Wednesday May 22 2013 at 10:27
I'd never condone this kind of behaviour, but it sounds like he could possibly need some help to deal with what he's experienced and the actions he's taken - hope he gets it.

Reply Posted by julie on Wednesday May 22 2013 at 10:46
poor lad and brother - who instigated the prosecution cos if it were my family i wouldn't have pressed charges - there are other ways n means of sorting it among family methinks

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday May 22 2013 at 22:20
I'm guessing the bank instigated this JULIE as they have had to foot the bill for this theft ! And righty so otherwise every tom dick and harry would be robbing their brothers and letting the banks foot the bill £165 and 150 hours not bad for £6k. I'd like a pay rate like that!!!!

Reply Posted by Hazel on Sunday May 26 2013 at 16:35
Until someone has had to endure what they go through in afghan and can sympathise with how they change when they return back to normal life people who thinks he deserves what punishment he gets should hold their tongue. I can speak from experience as my hubby was out there and came back a completely different person. Most people will spout that he deserves what he gets but have they actually been and seen what he has...probably not either sat on their arses on dole or nice and safe behind a desk

Reply Posted by shirley on Sunday May 26 2013 at 16:48
People are always keen to judge.wot about asking the lad if he needs help.get out theyr an catch proper criminals.

Reply Posted by Bob on Tuesday May 28 2013 at 17:42
A criminal is a criminal regardless! Before any of you do gooders who think it's not his fault just because he's been to Aghanistan go on a rant, Let me tell you, I've never stolen anything in my life and during my 22 years in the army I did numerous tours of duty in rather dangerous places as well as serving in the Gulf War where I witnessed two of my platoon killed in front of me. But then that was in the day when we joined up to do a job, not because we thought it made us a hero. He CHOSE to go to Afghan when he CHOSE to join up.Same as he CHOSE to steal!

Reply Posted by sam on Wednesday May 29 2013 at 09:20
I agree with bob , he chose to steal. No one should get away with stealing. He should had thought about it. And the fault he's been greedy and done it more than once. That's not a bad outcome..

Reply Posted by mark on Wednesday May 29 2013 at 10:06
you talk sense bob unlike some others who believe cos ya in army, civilian law doesnt apply, of course it does, i have respect of people like u who put ther lives at risk wen the rest of us dont have to but i agree that this doesnt make u excempt from law, theft from a family member is mot a nice crime and i think its been dealt with properly on this occasion, and for the people who believe he shouldnt have been punished, wat happens if an ex soldier commits a more serious crime? do we let people off murder? rape? or kidnap cos someone has previously fought for their country ? come on people get a grip,

Reply Posted by Hazel on Wednesday May 29 2013 at 10:13
So my hubby joined up just to be a hero did he BOB no he didn't he did it to serve queen and so called country we live in risking his life for people like you. And before that I came from my dad being in the marines. Plus when does a soldier CHOOSE to go to afghan he goes where he is told to and if you were truly in the services you would know that fact. As for MARK yes him and many others do join the army to help protect people like you so you can sit behind your nice safe desk or sit on your nice comfy part of the sofa instead of helping serve your country

Reply Posted by mark on Wednesday May 29 2013 at 10:22
hazel he also does it to get paid, lets nt forget that u get a wage for being in the army and he wouldnt be doin it voluntary, jus asked annette im done fpr jalf two so straiggt to ya mums and drop u pff but yes its good job we have people willing to do it, that i agree with but it doesnt make the rest of us bad people for sitting behind ar desks as u put it, which incedently i dont do i risk my life every day on britains motorways making sure people like YOU can still get around and your husband can get home to his family

Reply Posted by mark on Wednesday May 29 2013 at 10:24
dunt no wat happened to first post lol so re added

Reply Posted by les on Sunday June 2 2013 at 01:10
I agree bob i also served and when we join were not trained to do the namby pamby things. we all know the risk and trained way way beyond gettin up and thinkin sod it i dunt feel like goin to work today.
None of us wants to die but that is part of the training. if you find that sort thing hard to swallow your no good to the army
and neither is a thief