Roadworks Frustration Will Soon Be Over, Says Council

Tuesday May 21 2013

Roadworks Roadworks

FRUSTRATION over ongoing roadworks on Barnsley's A61 Wakefield Road/Burton Road will soon be at an end when work finishes in August, says Barnsley Council.

The project, which started with preparatory works as far back as November 2010, has been delayed by land ownership issues as well as a need to divert pipes and cables - work that can only legally be done by utilities or telecoms companies.

The council earlier said work was due to finish in June but this week a spokesman said: "A slight delay has been caused by the need to divert a water main."

This week the council spokesman said "no apparent increase in complaints" had been received since traffic management measures were brought in on Wakefield Road in May 2012.

"Traffic is clearly directed through the works, using signing in accordance with necessary standards."

The council has previously appealed to drivers to be patient over the work which it says will result in a 'quality bus corridor,' improving safe access and speeding up bus travel times.

Part of the project involves widening Old Mill Lane to provide a new bus lane and junction with traffic lights.

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday May 21 2013 at 12:19
They say August but don't give a year!!! I wonder why? Makes me laugh when I go past these roadworks as the sign say's it will be completed in Spring 2012!! And whilst they say the roadworks are well signposted the road surface is becoming a joke and I now do my best to avoid this area whenever I can as dread to think of the damage its doing to my car!!!

Reply Posted by me 2 on Tuesday May 21 2013 at 15:22
me go the other way into town, me have to go 1 mile extra but me thinks its worth it.

Reply Posted by AHR on Tuesday May 21 2013 at 16:10
Traveling from where I live to get to Town easier to go down Smithies lane, through Honeywell ! I anticipate the problem being solved just before xmas.

Reply Posted by mememe on Tuesday May 21 2013 at 17:02
Lets face it ,
It ain't that bad even at rush hour
Get a Life......

Reply Posted by Dave on Wednesday May 22 2013 at 17:31
Got to agree. It's no worse at rush hour than it was before the roadworks.

Reply Posted by Jon on Friday May 24 2013 at 10:12
These works have overrun by a period of 18 months assuming that they finish in August as the council is predicting.
I would like 'WAB' to question the council on behalf of the residents of Barnsley and ask them directly which Councillor(s) signed off approval for the works to start and to go ahead without having the correct ownership of land in place before approving it - and - how much the delays and land purchase have cost extra on top of the original funds that had been budgeted for these works.
I would then like WAB to publish the answers whatever they are from the council so that the residents know what has happened and what community funds have been wasted.
There are many residents who have themselves/relatives/friends/colleagues who have been made redundant as a result of the council saying that they don't have enough money to employ them; as I see it whatever overspend there has been due to the negligence of this Councillor(s) is directly there fault and should result in their immediate suspension and loss of position within the council....
Go on I dare you to ask them.... WAB, I bet you don't do it....??!!!!

Reply Posted by Josh on Friday May 24 2013 at 11:26
I'll take up the challenge, Jon! I've emailed the comment to a council contact and they've promised to look into it. I'll keep you informed.

Reply Posted by Jon on Friday May 24 2013 at 12:34
Good Luck Josh - I hope you've got some good contacts down there who can be honest with their answers....
My bets are that they hide who's done it and signed it off and fudge round saying that they always knew they'd have contingencies and this was factored into the original budgets.
We'll see what you find out and thanks for responding.