Father-Of-Four Drug Addict Given Chance

Friday May 17 2013

Barnsley Magistrates' Court Barnsley Magistrates' Court

A FATHER-OF-FOUR has been given the chance to rid himself of the drugs habit he has had for half of his life.

Michael Wainwright, 29, who has taken amphetamine since he was 15, was warned he needed to grasp the opportunity or his life would be destroyed.

"Your four children are not getting any benefit from you because of your drug taking," Judge John Foster told Wainwright at Barnsley Magistrates' Court.

"You have spent half your life taking drugs and cannot seem to stop. This is a chance you need to grasp before drugs destroy your life."

Chantel Lowery-Green, prosecuting, said Wainwright, of Worsbrough Common, was caught rummaging through a skip in the early hours. She said a folded lock knife was found on him.

Wainwright admitted possessing cannabis and having an offensive weapon. He was ordered to undergo six months of drug rehabilitation and nine months of supervision.

He was ordered to pay £85 in costs and a £60 victim surcharge.

Reply Posted by Kipper on Tuesday May 21 2013 at 20:01
Way to go British justice system! Don't ask why this poor lads been on phet for 15 years, and get to the root of the problem, just tell him to give up that properly addictive drug like it's giving up drinking pop.

I distress. I hope this lad gets the help he needs.

Reply Posted by Brookie on Saturday May 25 2013 at 21:20
I agree. Amphetamine is NOT an addictive drug. Someone CAN stop if they want. But some people choose not to.

Reply Posted by noreen on Saturday May 25 2013 at 22:13
this is old news im the lads mum and for all you out there hes clear of the drug hes tested every week and tests show he off it now can i also say we did every thing to get help but just kept given different phone no's but can i say from the bottom of my heart we did it on our own no help from your so called help lines he went cold turkey on his own . my sons doing well and i know hes a better man for not takin it anymore .and thanks kipper his problem is hes dyslecsic and hyperactive no one knows how he felt but hes my son and i love him and my other kids with all my heart . at least hes not burgled any one or raped any one

Reply Posted by nab on Sunday May 26 2013 at 01:50
noreen hun theirs no detox of phet its not that bad to get off as long as you wont to get off it dose mess your sleep up and you can run around like a headless chicken am pleased you son wonts to turn is life around ..... WELL DONE MICHAEL KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Reply Posted by Lisa wainwright on Monday May 27 2013 at 18:31
Not bein funny to u all I no u av all ad your say especially my mum who as helped MY BROTHER through this yes e as cold turkeyed through all this .and Brookie yes it is an addictive drug not physically but mentally . It takes at least 12 weeks depending how long u av bin on it to detox so for my brother to do it all in 4 weeks is pretty good . So u can all slag him off as much as u want coz es my brother and I wil stick up for him at end. Ov day..x

Reply Posted by liz on Wednesday May 29 2013 at 00:20
and another thing nab if u read properly you will c that it was anphetamit tablets e wa on not phet...so yes e as dun well to detox off this shit in such a short time. n am so proud av my little brother doin this...xx