Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event

News


A61 Road Gets New Completion Date As Patience Runs Thin

Monday May 13 2013


Anger over A61 delays Anger over A61 delays


A COUNCIL spokesperson said the long-running roadworks on the A61 will be completed in August.

The comments come as people are running out of patience with roadworks that are disrupting traffic on Wakefield Road/Burton Road.

The council has previously appealed to drivers to be patient over the work which it says will result in a 'quality bus corridor,' improving safe access and speeding up bus travel times.

A status on our Facebook page got a huge response about the road's traffic and poor surface.

This week one resident said they had seen little work done on the scheme in the past month - with exposed cables and drainage on the site.

"They've tried to make the junction but that's as far as it's gone," he said. "There's been no-one working there for more than a month."

Earlier this year Barnsley Council said the scheme would be finished in June but this week gave a completion date of "this summer."

Cllr Roy Miller said every effort was being made to finish as quickly as possible.

There had been land ownership issues as well as a need to divert pipes and cables that could only legally be done by utilities or telecoms companies.

"All the land ownership issues have been resolved, and work has recommenced on Wakefield Road," said Cllr Miller.

"Following completion of the utility diversions, construction work to Wakefield Road can be completed. The estimated completion date is summer 2013."

Part of the project involves widening Old Mill Lane to provide a new bus lane and junction with traffic lights.

A spokesperson from the council said: "It is anticipated that the works will be completed in August. The slight delay has been caused by the need to divert a water main."

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus
14 Showing 14 comments

Reply Posted by Gavin on Monday May 13 2013 at 10:08
In any other country this work would have been done in a few weeks, why do road works in the UK drag on so long? on any civil engineering in this country there's 50 managers, 20 workers and 1 person actually doing something!

Reply Posted by Kath on Monday May 13 2013 at 10:14
The delays on this road are disgusting and its true you never see anyone working on it its about time Barnsley Council get off there backsides and get this road finished . There is always some excuse over its there fault or his fault if they had done the job right from the beginning all this messing about wouldn't have happened and we would not be complaining .

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday May 13 2013 at 10:39
Why does everyone blame Barnsley Council for the delays ?
You do realise the work is contracted out, it is not Barnsley Council that do the work

Reply Posted by bren on Thursday May 16 2013 at 13:07
theyre (BMBC) the clients they have the last say and as such should have pushed the works through !

Reply Posted by Ricky on Monday May 13 2013 at 10:40
Work should not have been started until land ownership was sorted out and a planned schedule for all utilities!! I agree with Gavin, only in the UK would this be allowed to happen, the utility companies should have hefty fines for delays caused.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday May 14 2013 at 10:32
Spot on Ricky, this just amounts to bad planning and Barnsley Council are ultimately responsible not the contractors.!!!

Reply Posted by Richard on Monday May 13 2013 at 10:41
The road is just dangerous, you need a 4x4 to get over the potholes. As for Barnsley Council getting off there backsides, haha i've seen more work in a dole queue. A quality bus corridor?? How about just a quality road. Lets start with the basics shall we?

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Monday May 13 2013 at 15:03
A private contrator will do the work in time as if the don't they will be heavily fined by BMBC if they don't. This farce lies entriely with BMBC what were the planning department doing? Delays for cables and pipes, They should know where they are and where they want redirecting 3 years and counting. Still no explanation just weak excuses, even Roy the boy should be getting pretty embarrassed now. The June date was an exyension of another date which was April that was given last year. The delays don't even match the first set of delays down to the land dispute. I heard on the rumour mill that this quality bus corridors intial planning was done in the 70's making it what must surely be the worst managed road project this country has ever seen.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday May 14 2013 at 10:36
Its ok Guesty Cllr Roy Miller has covered himself pretty well by stating August as the completion date, although he doesn't say which year.!!!

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Tuesday May 14 2013 at 13:40
rainbow - only anticipated, they anticipated the last 3 dates too!

Reply Posted by Charles on Monday May 13 2013 at 16:15
This scheme, when complete and operational, will do nothing to help the motorist or the general flow of traffic. The scheme is designed to discriminate against motorists and give preference to buses.

Barnsley must be the only Local Authority in the country which is creating more bus lanes. Other authorities are removing theirs as they realise that they do not work.

Barnsley Council, wasting yet more of our money.

Reply Posted by stevo on Tuesday May 14 2013 at 18:15
Miller ought to be made to resurface the road himself after all his buffoonery!

Reply Posted by Robert on Saturday May 18 2013 at 14:19
I'm afraid to say that this is certainly bad planning on behalf of the BMBC. Not sure about the wasting of money, but there is certainly a lack of workforce and certainly a lack of leadership.

Reply Posted by Chris Corbett on Saturday May 18 2013 at 14:27
I will believe it when I see it. August 2014 is more like an ideal target to complete the work. It's taken that long to get to progress to where it is now. I'll just watch August 2013 come and go with outstanding work still to do.