South Yorkshire Police's Mounted Department To Stay

Friday May 10 2013

PC Kate Leake, Cllr Charlie Wraith, Chief Superintendent Rachel Barber, PCC Shaun Wright and PC Ruth Dickens PC Kate Leake, Cllr Charlie Wraith, Chief Superintendent Rachel Barber, PCC Shaun Wright and PC Ruth Dickens

SOUTH Yorkshire's mounted police department has been saved from closure.

Police and crime commissioner Shaun Wright has announced that a decision has been made to keep South Yorkshire Police’s mounted department at its Cudworth base.

The police force confirmed last year that it was reviewing the unit - which costs about £1 million a year.

He said: “After careful consideration and reviewing all the evidence presented to me I decided that it would be best for the public of South Yorkshire if we maintained our own dedicated mounted section.

“I believe safeguarding the force’s mounted section will help achieve my policing priorities, as the horses improve South Yorkshire Police’s visibility and help reduce crime.

“In these times of austerity, savings have been made. I am confident that the mounted section will still be able to maintain their high visibility and help keep South Yorkshire’s streets safe with the savings we have introduced. We will also make additional savings through mutual aid.”

Reply Posted by debbie on Friday May 10 2013 at 13:20
I am so pleased that they are staying at cudworth.I am a childminder and in the summer myself and my little ones walk down to see the horses they love it

Reply Posted by Mick on Friday May 10 2013 at 20:55
Political decision, nothing to do with effectiveness. £1 million would solve or deter a lot of crime if spent on bobbies on the beat.

Reply Posted by Grim on Wednesday May 15 2013 at 16:30
Trouble is the governement keep moving things from South Yorks ( ie helicopter, dive unit etc) and would if they could move more. Which means less for the citizens and longer response times. Plus it would not be saving a million because SYP would have had to buy the services of other forces horses for public order. Which would probably cost more. The million would never go on the beat bobbies. It never does. Traffic have fancy expensive cars and beat bobbies dont. Task force gets expensive body armour, bosses get canteens but beat bobbies get jack all. See the pattern????

Reply Posted by Ray on Friday May 10 2013 at 21:39
Perhaps they could afford to pay someone to clean up all the horse muck that gets left behind when they excersise them through Barnsley town centre.??

Reply Posted by les on Sunday May 12 2013 at 07:38
Someone obviously cleans it up.
It doesnt just disappear.
And more police on the beat does not put an end to crime look how many there are round barnsley town on saturday
you get police and security all over barnsley but thieves are rife in the shops how are they suppose to know who the thieves are.
Crime would reduce if you had 2000 police
on the beat in towns and streets in barnsley.....but who would pay
....and it still wouldnt stop

Reply Posted by k321 on Wednesday May 15 2013 at 14:36
I'm pleased they're staying.
I wish they would do the annual open day/gala again, it used to be great especially for the children.