Pensioners Lead The Way In Village Clear Up

Tuesday May 14 2013

Pensioners lead the way Pensioners lead the way

A PAIR of pensioners have shown a village how it's done - by taking it upon themselves to clean up the area.

Barrie Clarke, 71, and Colin Wadsworth, 70, are single-handedly cleaning up the Tingle Bridge area of Hemingfield after becoming tired of spotting so much litter in the area while out walking.

Barrie has been keeping his street litter free for the past year after approaching Hemingfield Action Group chairman Ian Warhurst for a litter picker, gloves and bags.

He had told Ian he would love to keep other areas of the village clean but did not feel comfortable doing it on his own.

But about five weeks ago, Colin also approached Ian about litter on the canal bank so Ian arranged for the two to get together and the group supplied them with equipment and high visibility vests.

To date they have filled 30 bags with litter in three weeks and said they wanted to set an example to other Hemingfield residents.

"It only takes two or three people in each area to pick up all the litter and it's a good job," said Barrie. "It's better than sitting at home watching television and you get out in the fresh air with plenty of exercise.

"We get a great feeling of satisfaction in the fact we are making a difference to the area in which we live and everybody benefits from the work we are doing."

Reply Posted by lynne G on Thursday May 9 2013 at 14:26
Go for it sombody with pride for there surroundings

Reply Posted by bobby on Thursday May 9 2013 at 14:59
That explains why I saw Colin in a Hi-VIs jacket this afternoon, I did wonder. I've not noticed a litter problem near my street in Hemingfield but I will admit, Tingle Bridge Lane can be atrocious!

Reply Posted by grim on Tuesday May 14 2013 at 15:04
Local young people should be ashamed as should the council for not sorting this. using pensioners like this is just wrong.

Reply Posted by Mick on Tuesday May 14 2013 at 19:46
Surely the only people who should be ashamed are the ones creating the mess, whatever age they are.

Reply Posted by Steve Houghton on Thursday May 16 2013 at 21:08
Should have contacted me directly I would have deployed the BIG group on clean up duties Eh Wot, anyone seen my limo?

Reply Posted by rainbow on Friday May 17 2013 at 10:03
Well said Steve, they clearly didn't make you the council leader for nothing. How about some of your Labour cronies giving a hand too?

Reply Posted by Steve Houghton on Sunday May 19 2013 at 17:36
No chance, why the hell should me and my highly paid minions ever wonder out of our ivory tower.
clean it up yourselves you scruffs.

Reply Posted by Chris Corbett on Thursday May 16 2013 at 21:08
Are there any advances of the road works on Wakefield Road, next to Wickes getting completed. They have come to a standstill again with either minimal or no work getting done. The roads are getting worse by the day.