Garden Centre Owner Calls For Lower Speed Limit

Tuesday May 7 2013

Another crash on notorious road Another crash on notorious road

A GARDEN centre owner has called for the speed limit to be lowered on Doncaster Road after another serious crash.

A 21-year-old motorcyclist was taken to Barnsley Hospital following the crash with a red Vauxhall Meriva, at the junction of Doncaster Road and Barnsley Road on Thursday morning.

Police were called to the accident at about 8.11am and the man, from Wombwell, was taken to hospital with a suspected broken leg and pelvis.

He was described as in a stable condition.

Doncaster Road was closed by police in the direction of Barnsley from Yew Tree Garden Centre to Ardsley Crematorium.

Barry Graham, 61, has run Yew Tree for 32 years and said the area was notorious for fatal accidents.

"On this stretch of road, from Dickinson's Farm at Ardsley to the junction with Bellbrooke Avenue, there must have been about ten fatalities in the time I've been here," he said.

"I can think of two incidents where there's been four people killed and one of my regular customers was killed aged 78 crossing the road at the junction with Doncaster Road and Barnsley Road.

"There are a number of occasions when I've opened up and found cars stuck in my fence, too. I had to have it replaced about three years ago when there was accident and they brought the air ambulance out.

"My opinion is it the speed limit should be brought down to 40mph on that junction, like it is when you hit the top of Bellbrooke Avenue. It's a long drag and plenty exceed it (the speed limit) as it is."

Councillor Brian Key said speed limits were necessary for the area but enforcement was the most important factor.

Reply Posted by Josh on Tuesday May 7 2013 at 11:39
Saw a guy on a bike get smashed on there last week. It was horrible.

Reply Posted by king louis on Tuesday May 7 2013 at 12:16
since the obsession with speed reduction and revenue collection accidents have increased not reduced, any other ten year project that failed so miserably would be reassessed but for it's £ multi-billion return. A one time where phone calls were one of the many problems causing inattention on he road now people are texting while driving at the common slower speeds. Speed is not the killer but lack of attention and lack of skill

Reply Posted by Karl on Tuesday May 7 2013 at 12:56
I agree, it's not the speed but drivers abilities and attention to other road users which is the problem. I've used that road for over 20 years and the amount of people that approach the junction too fast is some of the problem, which is nothing to do with speed.

Reply Posted by Im always right! on Tuesday May 7 2013 at 13:24
I just want to put this clearer, its not a speed reduction what is needed, its a brain enlargement!

Fact. Speed does not kill. Drivers do.

Reply Posted by paul on Tuesday May 7 2013 at 16:22
my sister got killed on that road crossing over we all said it for years now somthing neads to be done

Reply Posted by Adam on Tuesday May 7 2013 at 16:54
It would take much to make it a gyratory.
From Doncaster Direction A635 -> Barnsley Rd(North) -> Barnsley Road -> A635
The filtering in to the flow would be a lot easier, as traffic is only coming from the same direction you are. (Like motorway junctions.)