Royston Accent Stands Out

Thursday May 2 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

BARNSLEY is well known for its accents but in Royston, it's a little different.

Speakers from the village have a lilt to their vowels that makes them stand out from the crowd.

Kate Burland, who's studying for a PHD at Sheffield University, has spent the last two years studying the accent. On July 20, she will present her findings at Barnsley Town Hall in conjunction with the new Experience Barnsley museum.

Kate, whose family ran shops in Royston, has interviewed speakers young and old and uncovered some interesting results.

The 46-year-old says the Royston accent differs and the two vowels sounds of 'o' and 'a' stand out when they're compared to other Barnsley speakers.

Words such as 'goat' and 'face' have a Staffordshire twang - proving there may be truth to the speculation that Royston people have kept a part of the accent from Black Country miners who moved to the village at the end of the 19th century.

"I would say there's something about that Black Country identity that's stuck and it's stayed in the village," said Kate. "The older speakers seem to be proud of it because they say it's their Black Country heritage."

Are you proud of your Barnsley accent? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by barnsleylass on Thursday May 2 2013 at 11:51
I am a Barnsley lass through and through. I've been living in New Zealand for four years and still my accent is strong, ther locals love to mimic it in fun but say they love my accent, adding that it sounds posh lol :)

Reply Posted by Kimberley on Monday December 9 2013 at 09:58
Barnsley/Wakefield is best place to grow up! i love it.

Reply Posted by roystonlad on Thursday May 2 2013 at 12:04
I went to a school outside of Royston and people often commented on my accent, never understood it though, to me it was no different.

Reply Posted by Dave on Thursday May 2 2013 at 12:26
I've a few mates from Royston and noticed years ago that they put a Y in everything. Dave for example would be Dayve.

Reply Posted by Lou on Thursday May 2 2013 at 13:35
I'm Royston born and bred and people have always commented on how "posh" I sound (when I don't really!) People have always chuckled when I pronounce "toast". Never been sure why!

Reply Posted by Fred not Fred on Thursday May 2 2013 at 16:07
All Royston folk are inbred this is FACT!

Reply Posted by justme on Thursday May 9 2013 at 19:09
Ignorance must be bliss you ibosile !!!

Reply Posted by Kim on Monday December 9 2013 at 09:57
ay, thats not true im not one!

Reply Posted by lyndon on Thursday May 2 2013 at 16:33
Freds got his rod out for a change. You might get a few nibbles lad if you put a bit of thought into it, amateur

Reply Posted by Lucy on Thursday May 2 2013 at 21:11
How weird! Is this a unique case in Britain? There must have been similar movements of people.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Friday May 3 2013 at 06:56
Strange thing is that once someone moves into the area people seem to adopt the accent too.
My uncle from Mapplewell moved to Royston I didn't see him for ten years and the last time I saw him he was saying, Steayk, Bayke, Cayke!

Well known fact that we have the second most diverse regional accents after India.

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest. on Thursday May 9 2013 at 19:37
you're right stevo,don't forget doh'nt and woh'nt

Reply Posted by denise on Tuesday May 7 2013 at 23:52
i was brought up in royston best years of my life, been left quite a few years now but wen ppl hear me speak they always say can tell ur from royston, as with a lot of ppl cud never understand wot they meant, then it was explained about how i pronounce words and yes sound posh too, unbelievable but true,

Reply Posted by malc on Friday May 10 2013 at 18:10
I noticed the Royston accent in the 1970s when I had a girlfriend from there. The comments about putting a Y into the vowel sounds are true. Other sounds differed, eg. "Dawn't be layte" & "It's owver the rarwd". I used to wonder how her and her family's accents could be so different when they only lived about 6 miles away. It wasn't until years later that I read about the Staffordshire link.

Reply Posted by Ian on Monday May 13 2013 at 19:00
Barnsley accent was always broader than the Royston one. They would say "rooad" for "road". "Joaking" for "joking" etc, etc. :)

Reply Posted by dchpqed@gmail.com on Sunday August 18 2013 at 03:57
I submitted my entry a day ago, but i haven't yet received any confirmation. Please confirm if my entry has been received.

Reply Posted by Tyler on Thursday May 15 2014 at 00:41
I'm from Royston and I think it's one if the best places to live. PROUD TO BE FROM ROYSTON

Reply Posted by Elaine on Tuesday May 3 2016 at 09:00
I was born & bread in Royton I left 15 years ago & moved to Wombwell where every body used to laugh at the way I spoke ,in the old day they used to call people from Royston the Staffordshire Lanks that's different !!!

Reply Posted by Ian Shaw on Tuesday May 3 2016 at 10:33
I have lived Royston all life & true what you say. I have done my Family Tree & 1 side of my family came from Staffordshire.

Reply Posted by angie marlow on Tuesday May 3 2016 at 18:08
I lived in Staffordshire but moved to Wombwell, Barnsley when I was 10 years old. I have had a few patients of mine ask if I am from Royston, used to wonder why and now I know.

Reply Posted by Sharon Bladen Nee Normington on Wednesday May 4 2016 at 01:01
I am proud to be from Barnsley, and one thing I've noticed is other "Barnsley Folk" don't lose their accent if they move! I live in Menorca now, have done for 10 years and there's nothing as comical as someone speaking "Spanish" with a Barnsley accent! It never goes! Also we get told a lot by the people from Essex, we "talk funny!" Is that the kettle calling the pot or what! lol!

Reply Posted by Sharon Bladen Nee Normington on Wednesday May 4 2016 at 01:07
Forgot to add, I was born and bred in Royston and it WAS a lovely place to be brought up, unlike now unfortunately!

Reply Posted by ???? on Wednesday May 4 2016 at 03:39
There was something like this out a few years ago, stating the Royston accent as a Welsh element due to the migrant miners

Reply Posted by Les buckle on Wednesday May 4 2016 at 13:35
Royston has always been known as little staffordshire

Reply Posted by Sandra on Tuesday August 30 2016 at 10:19
I'm from Royston. It's true I got teased by work colleagues regarding the use of the 'O'. Words such as Polo and Poached egg. However, my father was very broad and from stairfoot, his ancestors being from Monk Bretton and the Barnsley area. My mother on the other hand was born in Royston. Her parents were from Lancashire, Dalton-in-Furness, Barrow-in-Furness and they came to Royston to work in the pits. It might sound strange to learn that on a recent visit to Barrow, I was in a public house where I recognised what sounded very similar to the Royston accent being spoken by the regulars.

Reply Posted by Sandra on Tuesday August 30 2016 at 10:23
Ps I've also heard Royston being referred to as Staffordshire/Lancs.

Reply Posted by Elaine Jones on Tuesday August 30 2016 at 19:46
I was born & bred in Royston my partner used to say its a staffordshire lanks twang his dad came from staffordshire i now live in wombwell & all my mates take the mick out of the way i talk

Reply Posted by Alfie on Monday April 17 2017 at 20:10
I moved to from smithies to Royston 13 years ago n now av the Royston twang although it creeps up on you the first time my dad heard me saying phone the Royston way he couldn't help but take the mick.. n everyone comments on how posh my youngest son speaks lol