Man Starts On 21-Mile Swim

Wednesday May 1 2013

Robert Blackburn Robert Blackburn

A PLATTS Common man has started swimming a mile a day for three weeks as he tries to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.

Robert Blackburn, 31, started swimming on Wednesday and will swim a mile a day to raise money for the charity because of his friend died from cancer a couple of weeks ago.

Robert is swimming at Hoyland Leisure Centre or the Metrodome and will have completed 1,344 lengths when he finishes on May 9.

Robert said: "My mate Dave Smith died two weeks ago from cancer so I'm doing it for him.

"I do a lot of swimming and training each month with me being a lifeguard, and it's just one of those things where've I said 'right, I'm going to do this'.
"It's something close to my heart."

Reply Posted by donna on Wednesday May 1 2013 at 17:56
Well dun rob :) well proud of u :) dave would be proud too waddo :)x

Reply Posted by Michelle Parkes on Wednesday May 1 2013 at 18:05
Good luck rob!!

Reply Posted by brad on Wednesday May 1 2013 at 18:51
Well don rob you have done alot for dave and he will be proud

Reply Posted by Julia Robinson on Wednesday May 1 2013 at 18:54
Good luck with this!! It is a very worthy cause.

Reply Posted by Mick on Wednesday May 1 2013 at 22:08
Misleading headline WAB. I thought it was 21 miles non stop. A mile a day is gentle exercise. Still a good cause though.

Reply Posted by les on Thursday May 2 2013 at 00:30
Well mick as it is just a gentle excersise .
Amile a day for 3 week im sure you will jump at the chance to do some charity work.......ass hole

Reply Posted by Mick on Thursday May 2 2013 at 10:40
Calm down Les. I'm just saying a 21 mile swim conjures up an image of a swim equivalent to swimming the channel, whereas a mile a day for three weeks is quite different. It's great that he is doing something in memory of his friend.

Reply Posted by les on Thursday May 2 2013 at 00:32
On a 21-mile.....singular not miles

Reply Posted by bob on Thursday May 2 2013 at 14:04
1 mile = 64 lengths in a 25metre pool... well done Rob.

Reply Posted by natalie on Friday May 3 2013 at 18:32
Proud ov ya uncle rob x

Reply Posted by damien on Friday May 3 2013 at 23:42
good work rob

Reply Posted by simon redfern on Monday May 6 2013 at 12:46
go rob you can do it

Reply Posted by Bernie on Wednesday May 8 2013 at 21:02
Well done rob you doin really well stuff what mick says between goin to work and lookin after your young family a mile a day is enough and a great charity to be doin it for - pity if people haven't got owt nice to say can't learn to keep it shut - dave would be proud of you and i no you miss him loads xx

Reply Posted by rob on Saturday May 18 2013 at 20:59
i would just like to say thanks for the comments......... ive finished my swim and im still collecting the sponsors ive raised over £600 for mcmillan nurses. i just like to say thankyou to my lovely wife for supporting me through this....