Town Hall To Get Sculpture

Wednesday April 24 2013

What do you think to the sculpture? What do you think to the sculpture?

THE new community square and gardens will feature a striking sculpture worth £1.5million thanks to a loan from Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

The ongoing development at the Lancaster Gate side of Barnsley Town Hall will feature the sculpture by Nigel Hall, and is planned to be positioned at the bottom corner of the landscaped area towards the end of May.

Council leader Steve Houghton, said: "It's a highly impressive work of art and one that I am sure will cause much interest and debate."

Standing 10 metres high, Hall's sculpture, named Crossing (Vertical), was created in 2006 and was sited at Yorkshire Sculpture Park in March 2008.

Cllr Roy Miller, said: “We're very grateful to Yorkshire Sculpture Park for the loan of a stunning contemporary artwork that complements the excellent design of the square and creates an international quality public space for the residents and visitors to Barnsley.

“I believe this and similar projects will lift Barnsley town centre, stimulating growth and encouraging investment that will strengthen the town centre business economy."

The fountain and public gardens are scheduled to be officially opened on June 27.

Reply Posted by Stan on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 10:39
I will give it less than a week before it is vandalised

Reply Posted by Kingpin on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 11:01
Encouraging investment????? Do these councillors live on this planet! What have they been doing for the past decade? Oh that's right, they've been making promises the can't keep and taking the people of barnsley for a ride! Do you really think any potential investors will come to barnsley following the digracful scenes in goldthorpe celebrating Thatches death?

Barnsley only gets bad press, and deservedly so too.

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 11:33
the new gardens will make a great skatepark, I reckon there will be less than 10 trees and virtually no green space on it judging from the scribbles.

Reply Posted by Steve on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 13:18
Close all the charity shops, poundshops, etc and what would you get? A boarded up town!

It's going to take more than a sculpture, museum and water feature to sort the town centre out. BMBC have missed the boat in a big way and it's now starting to show. Usless!

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 15:42
I actually like the sculpture at YSP as it is on a small rise and framed against the sky. It will lose that effect

Reply Posted by rainbow on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 16:00
Steve Houghton the council leader says the town hall refurbishment, fountains and sculptures etc will act as a draw to aid Barnsley's flagging economy. I just hope the seven million pound bait works, the only problem is what are visitors going to do after they've spent an hour or so looking at all this spleandour, visit the charity shops or the run down town centre.???

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 16:14
What a load of crap!
What do Sheffield and Leeds both have but have turned off to save money in these austere times?
FOUNTAINS!
The buffoonery of BMBC knows no bounds!
A nice refurbished municipal building with some "nice" fountains and a "nice" sculpture, the biggest white elephant in the entire history of the Town - The Civic centre.
Can you see a pattern emerging here?
Said it before and i'll say it again, Meadowhall for me every time, free parking, nice and warm and no idiotic alcholics or smack rats pestering for money.
The quality of shops in town leaves something to be desired, unless you want leggings from primark or Dunlop trainers from sports direct,low end shops for low end people.

Proud Barnsley man, but not proud of Barnsley.

The Labour idiots have done NOTHING for our town apart from spend our hard earned on stupid and unnecessary projects that will effectively only attract no one.

The sooner Barnsley folk wake up and smell the coffee and kick these idiots out the better.

Reply Posted by john on Wednesday May 1 2013 at 22:21
well said that man not yet decided wots cost US more the fiasco at side o town hall or that shambles at bottom o burton road who on earth starts work when they dont own all the land, o ye that'll be barnsley council

Reply Posted by Trevor on Saturday November 2 2013 at 18:44
Hello stevo,who would you vote for, And what changes would you make if any,
I was born and bred in Barnsley also, The council have a lot to answer for but before slagging them off , have some idear's to back it up.regarding meadow hall in Sheffield and the new shopping centre in wakefield.There built in city,s.
Barnsley is a TOWN not a city.

Reply Posted by Charles on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 17:17
Well Stevo, this is one issue, where without any doubt, I can fully agree with you.

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 18:23
@Charles and Stevo you are so right, but we all know which councillors will be voted in next week, the LABOUR ones that people do nothing but complain about, for the simple reason that a certain section of Barnsley are unable to think for themselves and the need to vote Labour is inbred.

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 19:20
Voting Labour has always been the Barnsley way, generations of town people have voted Labour as the "party" was originally founded to look after the average working person.

You have to look at how the Labour party has evolved over the last 20 years or so.
They have failed to remain true to their original origins and ideals, and are now a party which can only be described as "Tory Lite".
The townfolk will always vote Labour as that is what is expected by their families and forefathers.

I for one have not voted for them since 1995, they promised us "slackening" of employment legislation, better regulation of the financial sector and a commitment on Europe.

We got immigration on an unprecedented scale, introduction of the beer tax escalator, financial meltdown in the city and the "cosying" up to big business to name but a few.
They also fielded a candidate from outside our area, The Rt Hon Dan Jarvis MP.

They are finished as far as I am concerned, as are the Lib Dems who will be cast into obscurity and fourth division politics.

It also has to be said that at present their are NO credible political parties that I would vote for at this moment in time.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 20:16
"voting Labour has always been the Barnsley way" - How does that stack up with the make up of the Council a couple of years ago when there was a majority of 3 maybe 4 councillors. Likewise, I don't think the west of Barnsley is particularly a Labour stronghold. I agree some people vote for a party because they haven't the nous to think for themselves, but rather a sweeping statement that Stevo to suggest it's the Barnsley way. Plus I think the regeneration of the area around the town hall is a good thing and I'm sure the initial running costs of the fountains will have been accounted for in the scheme costs the majority of which is externally funded i.e. not out of your Council Tax- still don't miss the opportunity to have a go at the Council. Just out of interest - have you been to the Civic?

Reply Posted by stevo on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 20:31
Of course its the Barnsley way.
I will always observe my right to criticise the council whenever I feel the need to do so.
Until they step out of their newly renovated municipal building, get into the heart of communities (not just for self promotional "media" opportunities), get some real investment and more importantly GOOD jobs and regenerate the "hovel" that the Town centre has become then I will criticise them at every turn.

For your information yes I have been to the Civic and I wasn't impressed, I was less than impressed when I found out the "true" cost of the Civic renovation either.

A lovely old building granted and yes I do like the fact that all old buildings are given a new lease of life, but it was bloody expensive and begs the question:
Will it ever pay for itself?
Not in mine or your lifetime Mr Red.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 21:01
Then it's also the Rotherham way, the Doncaster way, the Wakefield way and I'm sure there are many Councils down south that have the Tory opposite. What I can't understand is your anti Barnsley stance - "proud Barnsley man, but not proud of Barnsley". Aren't you pround of Stainborough Castle and grounds, Cooper Art Gallery, Cannon Hall, Monk Bretton Priory, Old Moor Wetlands Centre, Wortley Hall, the countryside all around the borough etc etc. I know when I talk to people outside Barnsley I try to accentuate the positives of the town - the make up of the Council does not enter the conversation. I am proud of Barnsley and yes there are urban areas that need improving but these areas are not a secret, everybody knows where they are, we just need people to support the local economy instead of visiting souless places like Meadowhall.

Reply Posted by john on Wednesday May 1 2013 at 22:25
not been to the civic yet other than with plans but used to go regularly used to go to do & see shows

Reply Posted by stevo on Thursday April 25 2013 at 07:10
HR, my comment was mainly aimed at the town centre.
I have been to all the places you mentioned apart from Old Moor and as Cannon Hall is on my doorstep I spend a lot of time there.

As for visiting the town centre shopping, as I have previously mentioned in numerous posts, why the hell would I want to shop in town when the probability of getting shouted at by an alcoholic or pestered for money from a smackrat is nigh on odds on?
I cannot get the items I need in town, parking is extortionate and the shops (with the exception of two or three) are low end "tat" shops that I would never go in anyway.
(yes I know parking is free on weekends too before you mention it)
I go to Meadowhall as I can get everything and more and can be there, shopped and back within one hour and it has an HMV.

I only go into town if the continental market is on nowadays, as, contrary to popular belief I actually like it.

Other than that, its Meadowhall that gets the lions share of my hard earned i'm afraid.

Reply Posted by Lb on Monday April 29 2013 at 20:24
This area was the only decent part of the town anyway!!!!! What about the rest oh forgot you council lot are only interested in the bits you see !!!! And what about villages in surrounding area eg darfield it's a disgrace and shithole the rising sun ex pub has been derelict now for 10 years and still same what about a sculpture there !!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Karl sunter on Monday April 29 2013 at 20:41
Wot a total waste of money . Just another place for the drunks and junkies to meet

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest on Monday April 29 2013 at 21:08

Whos going to have a little bet that it doesn't, post a reply with how long over due it will be, I'm going to start with 6 weeks.

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest. on Monday April 29 2013 at 21:09
"This is due to open next week, previous article mentioned mayday opening in a previous article. " !

I really need to check my posts before hitting the button

Reply Posted by john on Wednesday May 1 2013 at 22:31
surprised its ever gonna get finished everytime i go past mid afternoon the gates are shut & nobody on site

Reply Posted by anon on Monday May 20 2013 at 10:43
i was told this would be done by 4th of may when i got married and that it would be a place to park turing upto my wedding with fence all way upto front door and a few diggers on front didnt half make my day and lets not even mention the amount of trffic it causes i dont think anything will attract people to barnsley unless all the junkys are put in a corner out of sight.

Reply Posted by Jones on Thursday May 23 2013 at 00:12
My Grandad used to say "If they painted a monkey red, they would vote for it in Barnsley" Nothing has changed then. What a pity the monkeys don't spend a bit on the roads, I imagine a good few potholes could have been fixed for the money this pretty garden has cost.

Reply Posted by Pat on Monday June 3 2013 at 23:27
It is the most awful load of rubbish I've ever laid eyes on, Have we actually paid any of OUR money for it, I do hope not, it's so bad it's obscene, vile, I'm ashamed I belong to the town, what must visitors think, art ,I don't think so, what planet do these councillors come from. get real, ask us what we'd like, don't assume, don't alter things and waste our money,