Bus Driver Sacked Because He Wanted To Be At Birth

Wednesday April 24 2013

Shaun and baby Jacob Shaun and baby Jacob

A BUS driver says he was sacked by Tates Travel - because he wanted to be at the birth of his first son.

Shaun Hooley was a driver for the Barugh Green-based bus operator and had already been at work almost four hours on the day he got the call to say his partner Rebecca had gone in labour.

Shaun, 38, a driver for the past 17 years, immediately called Tates and asked for a cover driver to be organised to allow him to finish work early to get to Barnsley Hospital.

"I made several phone calls to the office trying to come up with a solution to the problem but I just kept getting nowhere so I drove my bus back to the depot," said Shaun, from Athersley North.

"Obviously I wanted to be there for the birth of my first son, what father wouldn't want that?"

He says it was at that point he was told by the business owner that he had 'sacked himself'.

"I'm angry and upset," added Shaun. "You would assume that every employer these days would recognise that fathers want to be there for the birth of their children.

"I was sacked, I've lost my job - but I did get to the hospital in time and I was there for the birth of my son Jacob Thomas."

Graham Mallinson, of Tates Travel, refused to comment.

Reply Posted by simon on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 09:40
whats the world coming to when ya carnt go to hospital to see the birth of your child without getting the sack it stinks shaun hope ya get another job soon

Reply Posted by Cal on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 09:43
First travel in sheffield are hiring

Reply Posted by Steve on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 09:47
I think that we all should not use Tate Travel until he gets his job back they should be ashamed of themselves.

Reply Posted by mary on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 09:54
I think its disgusting the way Tates have treated Shaun. However I am not surpised as I have only ever heard not nice things about them. Surely something can be done even if it means Shaun working with Tates till he gets a better job.

Reply Posted by les on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 10:13
Graham mallinson .the jobsworth
why arnt you available to comment
why arnt you available to comment
................
For hes a jolly bad fellow
he whont come out cos hes yellow
we dont know.what is all the fuss
graham couldnt drive his own soddin bus

Reply Posted by june on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 10:17
glad you got to the birth of your son only what happened to the verble warnings first or by letter is it . go to see someone if you think it unfair dismissale

Reply Posted by Derek on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 10:27
Read the comments on the barnsley chronicle forum before you comment. Shaun looks to have told a few porkies.

Reply Posted by les on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 10:33
So are you saying his wife wasnt having a baby.
Are you saying that they did give him permission.
Or are you saying he eats a lot of pork pies.......wich one

Reply Posted by King Fred on Friday April 26 2013 at 08:49
He looks like a fat sod in that picture, so he probably eats a lot of pork pies.

Reply Posted by lee on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 12:12
i do understand that he wanted to be there for birth, i prob would have done same in his situation, also i think tates are out of order but would it not have been common sense to put maybe a week or more holidays in round the time of due date? obviously births can come early or late but i think the holiday thing would av bin a wise thing to do

Reply Posted by ray on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 12:30
What about all those people waiting for Shauns bus to turn up.? Some of em may have been on the way to hospital or some other urgent appointment themselves.!!

Reply Posted by Blah on Friday April 26 2013 at 08:19
Blahh blahh blahh

Reply Posted by red hot chilli pepper on Friday April 26 2013 at 09:56
IMPOSSIBLE to arrange a holiday around her due date. Due dates are only the best guess and only 3% of women give birth on their due date. Every woman is told by their midwife that its completely possible for labour to start 2 weeks either side of her due date. My due date was 11/09 last year so it would have been daft my hubby taking a week off work considering I gave birth 24/09. The majority of employers are amazing and understanding when it comes to this situation and I'm pretty sure Shaun informed Tates Travel of his partners pregnancy and due date. I'm pretty sure a lot of men would risk their lives and limbs to be there when their child is born. its a fathers prerogative.

Reply Posted by Davey on Friday April 26 2013 at 10:26
Tates Travel - hang your bloody heads in shame!