Barnsley Men Sentenced After £100,000 Theft

Friday April 19 2013

Men sentenced Men sentenced

THREE Barnsley men have been sentenced for stealing stock from a Morrisons warehouse.

On April 16, 26-year-old Martin Heyworth from Wombwell was sentenced to three years and four months in prison, and 30-year-old David Chatterton from Wombwell and 56-year-old Michael Doherty from Bolton upon Dearne both received two years' imprisonment at Sheffield Crown Court.

All three men pleaded guilty on January 24 at Sheffield Crown Court to theft of £100,000 worth of alcohol, televisions and other stock from Morrisons between November 2009 and August 2011.

Martin Heyworth was employed as assistant night manager at Morrisons Cortonwood, David Chatterton worked in the warehouse and Michael Doherty was a colleague of both.

Heyworth was arrested on suspicion of theft, which led to a search of his house and the discovery of £18,000 worth of alcohol, televisions, DVDs, and various other items. All of the items had been stolen from WM Morrisons warehouse at the store at Cortonwood. The cellar of his home resembled an Aladdin's cave of champagne, spirits and other alcohol.

Police investigations then led to the immediate arrest of Dave Chatterton and Michael Doherty, with other stolen items found at addresses in Wombwell.

A fourth man, 56-year-old William Claypole from Wombwell pleaded guilty to handling a stolen television and received a 100 hours community order.

Detective Sergeant John Yoxall, said: "At a time when families shopping expenses are stretched, these men were stealing thousands of pounds worth of items from a supermarket. This is a cost which inevitably will be passed on to the consumer in one way or another."

Reply Posted by observer on Friday April 19 2013 at 09:59
what a pity the police and the courts wont jail people who rob. and break into homes and steal items of innnocent hard working people. they often do nothing.

Reply Posted by Croc on Sunday April 21 2013 at 18:19
Course they do. Your ignorance is showing........

Reply Posted by Amy on Friday April 19 2013 at 11:37
I couldn't agree with you more, my car was broken into and stolen and nothing got done about it the police didn't seem to care when I reported it they didn't even come out to my home they just gave me a crime number over the phone! The justice system stinks!!!

Reply Posted by Croc on Sunday April 21 2013 at 18:18
Did you have CCTV footage? Did you have any noticeable fingerprints? Did you have a witness?

I bet not . So what did you want the Police to attend for then? To feel important? Or would you rather have them deal with a crime that had evidence to solve instead? Exactly nuff said.

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Tuesday April 23 2013 at 13:30
Croc - Are you saying that vicitms should now prepare for crimes to be committed against them, and then gather the evidence? How would someone know whether there were any witnesses or fingerprints? That's what people want the police to attend for to gather the information themselves.

Reply Posted by Crox on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 21:17
Croc wtf. Did you know that anyone who is burgled these days just receives a crime number eh bro? spend less time smokin da crack n more time considerin the facts eh lad

Reply Posted by Mick on Friday April 19 2013 at 11:57
How can Morrisons have such a poor stock control system that allowed large scale thefts to go on for nearly two years?

Reply Posted by Don on Friday April 19 2013 at 18:11
Whatever the crime you commit, justice always catches up with you and rightly so. I knew Martin for years, such a quiet and reserved lad and this has totally shocked me! Shows you don't really know what goes on behind closed doors, and you can't always judge a book by it's cover, hope his long stint in prison helps him reflect on the following statement
CRIME DOESN'T PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Chez Doherty on Tuesday April 23 2013 at 10:18
I think you should keep ya opinion to yasens!!!

Reply Posted by Amy on Tuesday April 23 2013 at 10:20
Croc what are you talking about? X

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday April 23 2013 at 12:09
Martin is a top lad, no one knows the whys. Just remember he has a family who don't want people speculating in their business.

Reply Posted by Amy on Tuesday April 23 2013 at 13:02
EXACTLY my point anon we don't need the heartache inconsiderate narrow minded people put on here as Pete, Martin and David wouldn't harm a fly. Thank you for your support!

Reply Posted by Kay on Wednesday April 24 2013 at 22:51
Don't know these men but, ok they have done wrong now they are paying for it.
Please consider their family's and most of all the children. X

Reply Posted by Chez on Thursday April 25 2013 at 11:00
Thanks Kay think my dad Michael knows what he had done

Reply Posted by rob on Friday April 26 2013 at 18:18
Everybody saying think of the family am I wrong in saying he lived with his parents so they knew what he was up to and the price of food will go up cos of this thieving scum

Reply Posted by TONY on Saturday April 27 2013 at 15:24
wot u all wingeing about,u weren't wingeing when u were reaping the benefits of crime and if u dont want people commenting dont come on fb gobbing of,they r theives simple as,deal with it simple as,n to the man who grassed em up ......WELL DONE cos its our shopping that goes up

Reply Posted by bobby on Wednesday May 1 2013 at 18:48
chez n amy how dare u tell ppl to keep their opinions to themselves,ur dads a theiving lowlife n is now getting what he deserves,but u can all keep making excuses for him but fact is fact n ppl know what n who he is no matter how many different excuses u make for his disappearance.n none of u were complaining when him n ur mum were going on cruises courtesy of morrisons or paying fot ur mums bodged surgery

Reply Posted by Chez's Mum on Tuesday June 4 2013 at 21:34
Get the facts right. We went on one cruise holiday in 4 years to renew wedding vows, as for my surgery, my own GP sent me to have this done due to illness, not bodged!!!! It was paid for by myself from money my own Father left me in his will when he sadly died. Hope none of your family have to undergo breast surgery due to illness like I did then get disgusting comments from others who do not know what they're talking about.

Reply Posted by Chez on Thursday May 2 2013 at 14:27
Am I bringing any excuses you idiot? He knows what he has done and look where he is? Anyway if you got anything out of it i would use it to pay for your spelling no idea what a fot is. LOL!
Love how you know my family and your not showing who you know. Think your too ashamed. Can understand really

Reply Posted by Chez on Saturday May 4 2013 at 01:29
Yeah just as I thought!!!!

Reply Posted by CAB on Monday May 13 2013 at 18:29
Thieving gits..... customers get hassle taking good back with a receipt....where was their receipt or did they forget to pass go!!!!!

Reply Posted by CAB on Monday May 13 2013 at 18:32
Now they can take their Go straight to Jail Card
Why are we supposed to be concerned about the effect on their children & families?????? Isnt that their responsiblility????
Would they have been so accomodation had they arrested a shop lifter, would they have considered their family !!!! I dont think so.

Reply Posted by Frank on Friday March 10 2017 at 07:15
Yoxall full off **** couldn't even get the comments right one of them didn't work at Morrisons yet he commented that he did