Mining Memorial Set For Mapplewell

Wednesday April 10 2013

Harry Spence and Tim Pearson of Melvyn Carr who will be making the memorial Harry Spence and Tim Pearson of Melvyn Carr who will be making the memorial

A MINING memorial will be erected in Mapplewell in tribute to those who worked in the village's North Gawber Colliery.

It came after residents approached Cllr Harry Spence saying they wanted something to mark the pit site, on Carr Green Lane, which will soon be transformed by a residential development for hundreds of houses.

Cllr Spence said the sculpture will be erected in a landscaped area in front of the Co-operative store, on Blacker Road.

"First I got permission from the Co-op because it will be on their land and I was clear about what we wanted when it came to the sculpture itself," he said. "What I didn't want was a half circular things or a block of stones, so what I have gone for is an exact replica, scaled down of course, of a pit head gear."

The two-metre high sculpture will have two plaques - one as a tribute to all employees who worked in the colliery and the second a memorial to the 19 who died in an explosion in the pit on September 12, 1935.

Reply Posted by Ralph Dyson on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 11:45
A pit close to my heart. Well done for the memorial. My Father, Ralph Dyson, was buried there in a roof fall. He was dug out and saved. Through his back injuries there followed a period of two years off work. Power to the miners!

Reply Posted by Guesty Mcguest on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 12:26
This is brilliant, should have had a memorial instilled after the explosion, shame the development is going ahead on the old site after being deemed inappropriate by BMBC but small mercies. I didn't know about the explosion until a few years ago and I have been a resident all my life. It would be nice if the developers had a nod to the area too,

Reply Posted by audrey mills on Friday April 12 2013 at 12:10
my husband worked at north gawber untill it closed in 1985 its good to have something as a reminder that a pit was there

Reply Posted by Chris Smith on Monday April 15 2013 at 10:46
My Father was killed in 1964 at north gawber and it devastated our family, I will be pleased to see this memorial at last, its along time coming

Reply Posted by rob sida on Thursday September 12 2013 at 11:08
brilliant been long over due lets not forget north gawbers roots and true spirit that came from the people who worked and lived around the pit in this very special village

Reply Posted by ronald bretton on Thursday July 31 2014 at 12:06
Please look up, "carr green lane monkey park & mapplewell", the history of mapplewell, the colliery and it's people.