Vicar Heartbroken After Theft

Wednesday April 10 2013

Rev Maureen Browell Rev Maureen Browell

A HEARTBROKEN vicar says thousands of pounds are needed to repair a local church after lead thieves struck twice in the week leading up to Easter.

Crooks took lead from the entrance porch at All Saints' Church in Silkstone, before returning just three nights later to strip the vestry roof.

Rev Maureen Browell, vicar of Hoylandswaine and Silkstone, said the cost of repairs will run into four figures and, because church lead has been stolen before, insurance is unlikely to cover it.

She said: "It's heartbreaking to see the aftermath of lead theft. Thefts like this damage the whole community; our church is well supported both locally and more widely – you only have to look in our visitors’ book each week to see the extent of that support."

Despite the thefts, services continued as normal, with a wedding on Saturday and Easter service on Sunday.

However, the church was left with another large bill after the boiler broke on Easter Sunday, leaving it beyond repair.

Church members will now discuss how to cover the cost of repairs, as well as decide on improvements to existing church security.

Reply Posted by John Evans on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 11:54
This is not people who's families are going hungry and their having to steal food to feed them; this is a bunch of scumbags and they should be dealt with appropriately. The judicial system will let them off with a warning.

I have outlined what I would do to the system in a previous post of mine (Why the Universal tax credits are the right thing to do) at grandadevans.me/why-universal-credits-are-the-right-thing-to-do my solution to the problem is at the bottom of the page where I outline what I would do with criminals. and the lack of jails etc

Reply Posted by John Evans on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 11:55
Sorry but it wouldn't let me post a link. I'm posting it by the way just to show you what I'd do. I make no money from the above site either way, it's just my personal blog.

Reply Posted by angela allen on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 11:55
we are very sad to hear this news. we were the landlords of the red lion in the late 80's and early 90's and frequented the church quite a lot. we loved the church and the village and never had anything like this happen then. it's just unbelievable that some people can stoop so low to do such a thing. as my mum used to say "god doesn't pay back with money" it's heartbreaking. i hope they get caught and made to pay back properly not with a slapped wrist.

Reply Posted by Andrew Walker on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 12:42
This is just another sickening crime waiting to happen, just as people are enjoying their Easter vacation, I wish these mindless scum leave things alone and just bugger off.

Reply Posted by John Evans on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 13:28
From hard working people of even people who aren't in work but do have a conscience it's impossible to get into the mind-set of these imbeciles have. How does their mind work. Do they not stop for one second to think that their actions may just have an effect on others?

I know that from day one our Son has been taught that everything he does has consequences and effects other people.

Reply Posted by king louis on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 13:57
Lead is now a precious metal...it has great value. Other churches should remove their lead and replace it with something of less value and use the lead price to carry out the work. Dreaming of a time when people were honest wont stop their churches becoming targets. Guard the lead or move it from easy theft

Reply Posted by John Evans on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 14:02
That's a very good point & that people aught to be spread to Churches :-)