MP Speaks Of Concern On Maternity Pay

Monday April 8 2013

Dan Jarvis MP Dan Jarvis MP

BARNSLEY MP Dan Jarvis has spoken of his concern for new mothers in Barnsley following changes to statutory maternity pay.

The changes, which are in effect now, could see new mothers losing up to £53.64 a year after the government's decision to restrict statutory maternity pay to a one per cent increase instead of allowing it to rise with inflation.

Mr Jarvis said by 2015, they may lose up to £180 a year.

“This is unacceptable at a time when living costs are going up and people in our town are struggling to make ends meet," he said. "Families in Barnsley should not be paying the price for the G
government's economic failure and I will be raising this at the earliest opportunity.”

Reply Posted by Mick on Monday April 8 2013 at 21:10
Mr Jarvis, the country is broke. Which spending cuts do you think are a good idea? If new mums are going to lose £1 a week, how about asking the new dad to find the 15p a day.

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday April 8 2013 at 22:32
What planet is this Jarvis on? Does he not know that the country is just about bankrupt as a direct result of his governments mismanagement. Like Mick above, I too would like him to declare exactly where he would make economies should he be in a position to do so. As far as I can see, he is all things to all people.

Reply Posted by Fred on Tuesday April 9 2013 at 15:39
Dan who?

I have no interest in these Labour MP'S...

True Blue baby I love you.

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Sunday April 14 2013 at 08:13
How cum cuts are always mothers children and elderly. But we can find millions ta bury Margaret thatcher. Would I get millions to bury my mum if needed. How cum ya can't pay out csa maintenance owed to millions of parents owed that are struggling an living below poverty line because government body's csa are useless. We can find millions ta bury Margaret thatcher tho ?

Reply Posted by Brian on Sunday April 14 2013 at 10:20
All the national league tables relating to education put Barnsley at the bottom. If you needed any confirmation of this you only have to read some of the postings here on WAB.

I really do wonder what type of lives some people must lead. Baroness Thatcher was perhaps the finest Prime Minister and leader that this country has ever had. She unshackled the working man and woman and gave them virtually unlimited opportunity to better themselves. Sadly, many of the deadbeats around Barnsley still cannot see it even after 30 years. I remember what life was like pre-Thatcher and I certainly would not want to go back to those times. As a northerner it hurts me to say this, but southerners grasped the nettle and 'got on with it' while people in the north still, after 30 years continue to moan about their misfortune. Take the scales from your eyes and wake up. Opportunity for betterment is there if only you could see it.

Reply Posted by j on Sunday April 14 2013 at 18:18
cant educate people its labour who ruined this country not margaret thatcher.ask gordon brown why he sold gold reserves when prices were at rock bottom.i could go on and on.if ian huntley was a labour candidate for barnsley he would get voted in