Barnsley Fans Angry With Police

Wednesday April 10 2013

Did you go to Hillsborough? What did you think? Did you go to Hillsborough? What did you think?

LIFE-LONG Barnsley fans are angry at how police handled the derby clash at Hillsborough.

They claim they were "let down" and left in a vulnerable situation when South Yorkshire Police failed to ensure they could safely get to coaches taking them home after the match with Sheffield Wednesday.

The fans say although police separated the rival fans immediately after they left the ground, they were then left with no protection as they headed to the coaches lined up on Leppings Lane.

"There was a single solitary copper standing there - we were surrounded by aggressive Wednesday fans who started to get threatening and all we had was one policeman," said Jeff Wroe, 59, from Elsecar.

Jeff, who has been supporting Barnsley "since I was a lad" added: "As they started to attack and kick people I actually shouted at that police officer for help and he replied: 'I'm on my own'. To be honest I think he was more frightened and intimidated than we were, and what could he do? He was left there with no support."

Lester Dickinson, also from Elsecar, has been a Reds fan since he was six.

"It was horrible," said 49-year-old Lester.

"I have never seen anything like it, the police just abandoned us. I saw a ten-year-old lad get felled by a grown-up Wednesday fan who just thumped him. He was left with blood pouring from his head."

Reply Posted by Scott Skirrow on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 13:52
MMmmm but its ok for Barnsley fans to set off smoke bombs on the trams in Sheffield and throw coins at us when we came to Oakwell.... Hope the young lad is ok though....

Reply Posted by charlotte godsmark on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 14:05
Barnsley fans can be worse then Wednesday fans I purely disagree about the young lad that just disgusting and sick especially from a adult even tho I am not a Barnsley fan or a Wednesday fan I only watch Wednesday because of my fiance I believe that Barnsley fans should have had more protection I hope the little en is okay

Reply Posted by red alert on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 17:25
Big brave wendy attacking old men and little boys. Bad move

Reply Posted by Ged on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 18:21
A dastardly tactic by the Wendy fans really caught the polic off-guard there. I mean, who would have thought the home louts would threaten the away coaches? What a masterful stroke of tactical genius, no doubt with weeks of planning and executed with split hour timing, who could have predicted that one?

Reply Posted by lyndon on Wednesday April 10 2013 at 18:50
Like it jed. Yea the police outwited by the local hannibals and napoleons. Who'd have thought it?

Reply Posted by john on Sunday April 14 2013 at 22:07
Pretty sure the wednesday fans were throwing coins at Oakwell too, not that 2 wrongs make a right. All clubs have a minority of idiots.

Reply Posted by cluck on Sunday April 14 2013 at 23:19
The poor little lad! In no supporter of any football & I think the ideots that go should be banned! They is no need for fighting or provolking of any kind by any club, why cant they just go watch the match win or lose & go home peacefully!! Think they need to grow up! A poor child has been hurt through all this & that is BANG out of order, whoever it was needs locking up!

Reply Posted by Wendy on Monday April 15 2013 at 07:34
Barnsley fans are one of the worst for causing trouble, especially at local derbys, where the coaches park is only just outside the ground so you've hardly had to walk far! Didn't win the match so you'll slate us a different way?!?! Sour!

Reply Posted by Graham on Wednesday April 17 2013 at 17:17
Sheffield Wednesday allow 'home' hooligan-type supporters to exit the ground immediately adjacent to the 'away' supporters exits. That is why there is conflict outside. It has always been the same, although this season there did not appear to be much of a police presence in that area to prevent disorder.