Landlord 'Insulted' By Parish Council Letter

Wednesday April 3 2013

Mr Youel with his art Mr Youel with his art

A PUB landlord says he is insulted after receiving a letter which suggested the artwork outside his property is an 'eyesore'.

Art enthusiast Anthony Youel, who runs The Monkey in Thurgoland, was contacted by Thurgoland Parish Council regarding the pieces he created in front of the pub.

His works include everyday items, such as chairs, vacuum cleaners and wardrobes, as well as wooden crates and a toilet.

The letter from the parish council suggests the items look to have been fly-tipped and asks Mr Youel about his long-term plans for the pub and the car park.

"I was expecting it because they're 'in the box'," said Anthony. "They don't like anything 'out of the box'. They think it's ruining their little group."

"About 95 per cent of people are having a laugh at it but the minority don't like it - I'm just expressing myself. I'm a free spirit; I always have been and I don't harm anybody," he added.

Landlord Anthony, and his artwork, will feature on mainstream television later this year after he was selected to star in 'Boom Town', a new comedy sketch show to be aired on BBC Three.

Reply Posted by emma on Wednesday April 3 2013 at 10:43
oh leave him alone he is harmless i av been in that pub a few times i think he is great down to earth fun & damn rite free to do wot he wants wen he aint hurting any 1 a mean there are some pethitic looking drawing , paintings that are vulgar crap ect & they make millions no 1 sends them a letter from parish they need to get a grip get a life & jog on leave the guy alone !!!!!!!

Reply Posted by anonnymous on Wednesday April 3 2013 at 10:45
i agree with you emma, hes not hurting anyone so leave him alone

Reply Posted by anonnymous on Wednesday April 3 2013 at 11:15
there is a picture,i can see one

Reply Posted by Stu on Wednesday April 3 2013 at 11:24
It's great to look at art this is a masterpiece and should be displayed on a bigger viewing display

Reply Posted by maxine on Wednesday April 3 2013 at 11:25
yes now I see it lol... it hadn't uploaded the first time i looked :/

Reply Posted by Nick Cable on Wednesday April 3 2013 at 12:11
It does look like someone has tipped rubbish in the car park, very out of the box! Scared me off from going in there!!!

Reply Posted by Mick on Wednesday April 3 2013 at 12:49
I'm a bit surprised the council hasn't offered to buy it for £10k and display it on a roundabout somewhere to attract art tourists!

Reply Posted by Neil on Wednesday April 3 2013 at 12:57
Lol, or put it in the Town Hall museum.

Reply Posted by maxine on Monday April 8 2013 at 09:29
or just get rid of it!

Reply Posted by - on Wednesday April 3 2013 at 23:03
'wedge' or what ever thi name is!
thats awful hes not harming anyone!leave him alone and grow up!!!!! hes not a scrubber, hes clearly got a life,and hes not a silly old wanker, oh if you havent got out nice to say dont say it at all

Reply Posted by rainbow on Thursday April 4 2013 at 00:05
Well it has let me know, and probably a few others too, that the Monkey is still open for business. Perhaps there's some method in his apparent madness after all.????

Reply Posted by Bobby Nut on Friday April 5 2013 at 20:16
Makes my blood boil these small minded nazi groups

Reply Posted by jo on Friday April 5 2013 at 20:16
anthony is a good person and he would do owt for anyone hes not harming any one keep it up

Reply Posted by southern view on Friday April 5 2013 at 21:40
How sad and small minded people can be. Has the "Thurgoland Mafia" got nothing better to do. They should stick to their in bred Pantos and bowls! Yes Anthony has always been eccentric or as i would say "off his head" and it does look a bit odd outside the Monkey but who is it hurting? What with all the crime,drugs,child killing etc happening almost daily in this country are there surley not more important things to get ones knickers in a twist about. So come on Thurgoland Parish Council-have you nothing worthwhile to report and whinge about?

Reply Posted by Robdought on Friday April 5 2013 at 22:56
I like "ART" I'm thinking of popping up for a beer this guys spot on. I like to go
" ART" as much as my pocket lets me.

Reply Posted by janet on Friday April 5 2013 at 23:09
n to think barnsley council gunna spend thousands on art for town centre...

Reply Posted by me on Sunday April 7 2013 at 22:13
get shut of it fgs!!!!

Reply Posted by I like 'ART' too .... on Sunday April 7 2013 at 22:37
Robdought well said ... Me too !

Reply Posted by jodie on Sunday April 7 2013 at 23:49
oh bloody hell, arnt people sad! i keep my horses same road as monkey pub, and known ant years! nothing wrong with him!! you can have a right good laugh with him. People just dont give him the chance! get a grip of your self its his land! he can do what the hell he likes!!

Reply Posted by pezza on Saturday May 11 2013 at 23:42
mi dads gone nuts as u can see

Reply Posted by Emma lambert on Thursday June 20 2013 at 17:27
He is going to harm himself soon as I've drive past today and he is sat outside with a carrier bag over his head. This is not normal behaviour and I'm sorry but shouldn't be seen by the public.

Reply Posted by A Fan on Sunday August 4 2013 at 09:30
This man is a genius, an icon, a visionary he inspires others.
I am a fan of Anthony Youel

Reply Posted by Megan on Thursday August 29 2013 at 15:15
Leave Anthony Alone!! I Went to This Pub For The First Time The Other Day & What A Lovely Man He Is!! Me And My Bf Came All The Way From Hampshire To See Family And I Would Drive 5 Hours Again Just To Go See Anthony!! I Had A Right Laugh

Reply Posted by Ducky on Tuesday February 25 2014 at 00:17
Me n group of lads visited after been told we should go experience it. And it's one hell of an experiance!! I recommend it to anyone with an open mind and up for a laugh. The landlord is "wacky" but harmless and a good guy. We enjoyed our visit and will drop by again