Postman Caught Using Gift Card He Stole

Tuesday April 2 2013

A POSTMAN was caught after trying to use a gift card he stole while wearing his Royal Mail uniform, Barnsley Magistrates' Court was told.

Paul Jonas found the gift card at the bottom of his bag and was filmed offering it as part payment for a deep fat fryer, said Simon Gwynne, prosecuting for the Royal Mail.

Mr Gwynne said Jonas was tracked down after being identified on CCTV at a shop at Cortonwood retail park.

He said the matter came to light when a man complained to the Royal Mail that the card he had sent as a birthday gift to his wife had never been delivered.

Chris Peace, defending, described Jonas, of Goldthorpe, as a family man.

"The defendant's problems providing for an extended family made him succumb to temptation," said Mr Peace. "He let his high standards slip for the first time in his life."

Jonas was ordered to do 120 hours of unpaid work, to pay £400 in costs and £15 in compensation.

Reply Posted by peterc on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 11:14
He should have served a prison sentence, stealing 'Her Majesty's mail is such a serious offence, we could all succumb to temptation when it gets tough . (I used to work for RM)

Reply Posted by DM on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 11:18
This report should read, "Paul Jonas SAYS found the gift card at the bottom of his bag..."

Reply Posted by Dawn on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 11:33
I've had loads of mail go missing. I've reported this to the post office on numerous occasions but they've done nothing about it.

Reply Posted by Neil on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 11:39
Chris Peace, defending, described Jonas as a family man. You forgot to mention he's a theif aswell.

Robbing scum!

Reply Posted by Jayne Kirk on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 11:52
Happened to me years ago.Post woman and her boyfriend had a racket going.Stole my giro while I was out of work and cashed it.Took me ages to get my money back.I was made to look like a fraudster.Royal Mail even had the cheek to ask me not to tell anyone about it!!.I never did find out what the outcome was.It's disgusting that they can pray on people like that!

Reply Posted by king louis on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 12:28
"I don't believe it"... It's impossible to contact Royal Mail. I had a package arrive opened 2 weeks ago and on Thursday a card was delivered that had been opened. On Friday morning I tried contacting Royal Mail on line and gave up after one hour and Googling others having problems when emailing Royal mail. There is a system but try getting to the end of it...i goes into a revolving three pages without escape

Reply Posted by stevo on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 12:38
THIEF!

Should be made to stand in the town centre wearing a sandwich board saying I AM A THIEF every Saturday for his 120 hours THEN made to do 120 hours HARD LABOUR!

This country is pathetic!
Community service is NOT a deterrent!

Reply Posted by maria on Friday April 5 2013 at 17:49
I agree 100%

Reply Posted by Yvonne Busfield on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 13:47
I had a next gift card for ten pound stolen a month ago and card had been delivered elsewhere. Card was sent back to me minus gift card although the address was perfect. The gift card was a thankyou to me as I've been a support to her recently through some bad times. I live in Royston and funny thing is I'm a police officer. Seems it was my postman!

Reply Posted by Ann hoyle on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 13:57
Ended up being an expensive Deep Fat Fryer that! Serves him right the Thieving Scum

Reply Posted by mark on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 14:35
out of the fat and into the fryer?

Reply Posted by cheryll on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 15:00
we sent a birthday card to my nephew in dorset and it arrived open so on the following one we wrote on back no money inside to save them the job of checking,so it isnt just our area it is through the whole system we have lots of mail missing in cudworth.

Reply Posted by Joni on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 16:04
I had a friend worked for rm, he was sent to prison as he had loads in his house. I never send cash or gift cards in post anymore I transfer money to accounts.

Reply Posted by Lisa hardie on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 20:50
Bloody hell so he's done wrong everyone does at some stage

Reply Posted by Ade on Thursday April 4 2013 at 21:55
Approx 18 months ago thousands of items from Wombwell Post office distribution centre were opened and the contents stolen. The packaging that contained items were found in a building in the complex. Managers were disciplined and the Barnsley Chronicle were informed of this story but for what every reason choose not to run with the story ????????.

The Chronicle would probably say they did not want to interfere with any ongoing investigation at that time. The people of Barnsley that buy the paper would argue the Chronicle owe it to people that pay there wages.

Or on the other hand the Post Office would not want us to Know.

The law binding members of staff that works at Wombwell Sorting office they Know the truth but dare not speack out.

Reply Posted by Ade on Thursday April 4 2013 at 22:02
Or by the way I forgot to say the Royal Mail did send a photo copy letter with a elastic band around the open packing.which incidentally was hand delivered by a post member of staff to home addresses acknowledging an incident had occurred and they was looking into it, nothing else from the Royal Mail to date to explain what happened following there investigation. WELL WELL

Reply Posted by clare taylor on Friday April 5 2013 at 16:06
my sister once sent me some expensive chocolates for my birthday and they never arrived,i saaid did u put a claim in for them but she never bothered

Reply Posted by Julie squires on Saturday April 6 2013 at 10:40
Many things go missing, I've just sent an iPhone to somebody recorded delivery and it STILL went missing. What can we do? Recorded is there for a reason !!! After looking at sentences given to people who interfere with her majesty's mail , most got 3 years and over !!

Reply Posted by adrian on Sunday April 7 2013 at 21:12
another thieving rat..that's 2 in a couple of months in Barnsley alone

Reply Posted by angela allen on Sunday April 7 2013 at 21:20
i have sent birthday cards to my family in Barnsley and twice they did not arrive at all and once the card arrived with a slit down the side and the gift vouchers missing. it has made me feel as though my family think i didn't send them a card until they got the one with the slit in. it is supposed to be a bad offence to open someone else' s mail. the people working for the royal mail are supposed to be beyond thieving. if they are not honest they should be put in prison. there is no wonder people don't mail anything anymore. i will never send cards to my loved ones again i shall make sure i take them to them when i go over there.

Reply Posted by janet on Sunday April 7 2013 at 23:52
it is supposed to be a bad offence "interfering with her majesties property" ok he says he found it in bottom of bag,..but if its in his bag. it is still property of H.M.S and shouldve been handed in and logged as found.

Reply Posted by pmiwtah@gmail.com on Saturday August 10 2013 at 03:06
Read for your own personel happiness together with improve your awareness in regards to a pastime or alternatively specific ,Burberry Online. Enhance any newsletter with development preparing info.