New Date For Town Centre Dispersal Order

Friday April 5 2013

Dispersal order from March 29 Dispersal order from March 29

POLICE and Barnsley Council are to put a dispersal order in the town centre from April 15 - two weeks after its original planned date.

The order will enable police to move groups of two or more people from a specified area where there is persistent anti-social behaviour. It will also give the power for police to take home any young person under 16 who are out on the streets in a dispersal zone between 9pm and 6am and not accompanied by a parent or responsible adult.

The order will be in place for six months, and has come in because of common reports of groups congregating around the town centre.

The dispersal order will cover the following areas: Old Mill Lane, Harborough Hill Road, Pontefract Road to junction of Oakwell Lane, Taylor Row, Sheffield Road from junction with Taylor Row to Alhambra Roundabout, West Way, Summer Lane to junction of Fitzwilliam Hill, Sackville Street to junction of Churchfields and Church Lane.

Inspector Julie Mitchell, said: ”Over the past few months, we have received numerous reports of nuisance caused by large groups congregating in the town centre. By dispersing those groups intent on engaging in poor behaviour, we will ensure Barnsley is a safer and stronger town for everyone else.“

Reply Posted by Jeff Greasley on Thursday March 28 2013 at 15:08
Well done,so what about shifting the scum bags that hang around at the bottom of market street,hassling hustling,causing general problems.Everytime you go around there,some gang selling stuff that's been stolen from shops/ market. Or selling hash or worse,when do you see any sort of officer there.Or,more to the point,how many arrests in that area. !!!!!!

Reply Posted by steve on Thursday March 28 2013 at 15:10
I myself am 16 I think this has been long over due I can't walk through town are 11 (I work in a bar) without being threatened by people younger than me

Reply Posted by not all kids a bad on Friday March 29 2013 at 15:20
Well you had better be careful then steve as you said your only 16 so you wont be able to walk through town with ya mates after nine or you may be dispersed,

Reply Posted by Nick on Thursday March 28 2013 at 15:16
Lets hope they move on the immigrants that like to hang around banks and betting shops in the town centre.

Reply Posted by bill on Thursday March 28 2013 at 15:16
what about from outside the bus station !!!

Reply Posted by sarah on Thursday March 28 2013 at 15:28
i agree with bill !!!
theres nothing worse than having to push through all the kids outside the bus station just to get home.

Reply Posted by town dude on Thursday March 28 2013 at 15:46
Leave us alone we are outside bus station because there is nowere else for us to go, so stop being a keyboard warrior and if you want us to move tell.the councilors to find the youth places to go were we won't cause trouble which we don't anywhere stupid woman.

Reply Posted by A Grown Up. on Thursday March 28 2013 at 15:58
Well "town dude" you're in a public place and hanging outside a door..... use your common sense and move AWAY from the doors, if a fire breaks out, you are causing obstruction for people trying to escape. And honestly being sexist towards people who raise valid points isn't going to get you nowhere, now, Stop being a "keyboard warrior" go find something to fill your time with, like college or a job, and stop being a drain on society!

Reply Posted by Another Grownup on Thursday March 28 2013 at 16:12
That's right, condescension works a treat. You are indeed a grown up, lead by example please. Town Dude has a point, and whilst it is presented in a slightly naive manner, the point is valid. The fact that you stooped to calling said dude a drain on society is an appalling assumption and one that you should be ashamed of.

Reply Posted by A Real grown up on Saturday March 30 2013 at 17:08
Yeah and you are really a teenager trying to sound adult. There are many places for children and teenagers to hang around but they should not be in the town centre or near places like the bus station.

You should go and get Saturday jobs or go to college or do jobs at home for your parents instead of being drains on society. You have just as much to do if not more than any other teenagers before you ever had.

As for expecting the person above you to be ashamed - grow up and stop trying to be something you are not.

Reply Posted by Chrissy Matthew on Monday April 1 2013 at 14:51
There are many youth clubs in Barnsley. The simple facts are that either They arn't open long enough and No one knows about them.

Reply Posted by legaliseweed on Thursday March 28 2013 at 15:30
pushing them out of the town center in to the residential areas.....

Reply Posted by s on Thursday March 28 2013 at 16:53
Its true there really isn't anywhere for young ones to hang out that doesn't cost money, but it's never a good thing to have groups of youths congregating on street corners because its intimidating and they do encourage each other into worse behaviour and bad language. Unfortunatly there are no youth clubs anymore.

Reply Posted by Grumpy Old Man on Thursday March 28 2013 at 17:10
To the youth of today.

Go home, mow the lawn, wash the windows, learn to cook, build a raft, get a job, visit the sick, study your lessons, and after you've finished, read a book. Your town does not owe you recreational facilities and your parents do not owe you fun.

The world does not owe you a living, you owe the world something. You owe it your time, energy and talent so that no one will be at war, in sickness and lonely again. In other words, grow up, stop being a cry baby, get out of your dream world and develop a backbone not a wishbone. Start behaving like a responsible person. You are important, you are needed. It's too late to sit around and wait for somebody to do something someday. Someday is now and that somebody is you!

Reply Posted by Klc on Thursday March 28 2013 at 17:54
Thank you grumpy old man, that made me smile and is very well said.

Reply Posted by dee on Saturday March 30 2013 at 17:15
you sound like a true miserable old git..that hates life n kids..parents do owe kids , they shouldnt have brought them into the world if they are not prepared to stand by them, entertain them and care for them..and lead by example..its old gits like you that think these kids owe you..for gettin through the war...and convincing yourself that you are some kind of hero, that deserves respect just because you are old

Reply Posted by PJ on Thursday March 28 2013 at 18:04
Well said Grumpy Old Man - that's certainly a good piece of advice!! Definitely one that I agree with!!

Reply Posted by Charles on Thursday March 28 2013 at 18:45
Well said 'Grumpy Old Man' Spot on.

Be positive; Think what you can do for your town or country, not what your town or country can do for you.

Reply Posted by Brut on Thursday March 28 2013 at 18:53
Grumpy old man I couldn't have put it better myself.
Good on you!

Reply Posted by king louis on Thursday March 28 2013 at 19:04
2 people is not a crowd. This law has not much to do with youths but police control of everyone of us. It will now be a crime to be in Barnsley near any other person if the police decide that it is. They are preparing for any objections in the build up to the next elections. How far apart will two people have to be to not be classed as a crowd?

Reply Posted by grim on Saturday March 30 2013 at 17:10
Legally speaking I am afraid you are wrong. It is enough.

Reply Posted by lyndon on Thursday March 28 2013 at 19:42
Top post grumpy best i've seen on WAB. Hats off to you sir

Reply Posted by xkx on Thursday March 28 2013 at 20:09
Bowt time they did something it getting beyond a joke on my street cudnt mind but drink n smoking weed in a group ranged from bwt 9 to 17 year olds but then screaming and shouting a stupid times ppl do av kids n some r old and vulnerable and I am ibe who has phoned police a number of time as they av been fighting on my doorstep with innocent passersbys x

Reply Posted by stevo on Thursday March 28 2013 at 22:44
Hmm they are barking up the wrong tree with this one.
They should be dispersing they shouty alchos and smackrats.
Kids will always find somewhere to go I too was one of the BHS Casuals!

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Friday March 29 2013 at 12:56
I am typing this as anonymous for a reason.

I hang around in and around the bus station and commonly get told to move along by a member of their staff.

I am not causing any public nuisance, I keep myself to myself, and are often with a couple of friends. I don't see how moving people along to another place prioritises over keeping people safe.

I guarantee that in the few months. I will be dispersed by officers, but while I get dispersed, there are people shoplifting less than 100 yards away at GT News, there's people selling stolen items in and around the markets and I can guarantee at least one occupant of the bus station will be carrying or under the influence of drugs.

I am not wanted for, and will not commit assault, robbery or any other acts against the law. I will however, go inside the bus station for warmth, shelter from harsh weather, to meet friends, to get transport home, or to get food/drink.

I am no harm to the public but while I get moved away, people will be actively commiting crimes under the officer's nose.

Reply Posted by a on Friday March 29 2013 at 12:59
The bus station is a massive problem, when your walking out and get a ball kicked at you.... Go find somewhere else to 'hang' about 'town dude' when I was younger, going to some park, or grass wasn't a problem, we never went to youth clubs and had common sense to stay away from residential areas. The youth clubs closed because no one uses their services no matter how much people bang on about the lack of them. I can't comprehend that kids these days say 'come on let's hang at bus station'...

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Friday March 29 2013 at 13:01
And in response to 'The Grumpy Old Man', I have been dispersed by a member of staff for having a cigarette outside, before my B.A.R.B. test at the old British Army recruitment center in the Bus Station.

Because of this I had to restart my entire application, and am currently waiting for a new B.A.R.B. test date for the one in Sheffield.

Not all people you consider 'youths' are as you presume. Some are well-educated, who go to town as a meet-up spot as it's a common area most people know. If you are going to stereotype 'youths' at least have some sort of conversation with one.

Thank you.

Reply Posted by a on Friday March 29 2013 at 13:05
Anonymous then by all means meet up there and walk away from the bus station.. But is there any need to congregate in the bus station and stay there for the whole day? Whether you do this or not, its the groups that stay in from when I go to work in the morning that are still there when I go home. There is better things to do then hang around a bus station.

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Friday March 29 2013 at 13:11
I understand what you are saying 'A', especially with the ball. But surely that is something to do with ball games near a busy building rather than people in groups of 3.

I often go for meals with people with my other half and workmates. This constitutes more than 2 people, will I be dispersed for arranging a meet up place on one of the areas.

I do, as it happens, seem to be in the Bus Station a lot. And probably am one of those you see when you go to work, and when you come back. It's a mutual meeting point which is in the middle of where we all live. I often find myself waiting for friends buses to pull in, walking with them to their bus stop, or going to a shop for a drink/food.

I would agree if it was people who have done something to offend the public, not at the police's discretion of who could.

Reply Posted by anonymous on Friday March 29 2013 at 13:32
If you aren't a nuisance then you won't be moved along would you? That's what your saying, your not a nuisance and from what you said I don't believe you are. However seen as though you've said your there often, you will understand the people I am getting at?

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Friday March 29 2013 at 13:38
I understand the people, yes. But from what I understand, much like Meadowhall. I'll get dispersed no matter what I am there for, if in a group of 3, which I regularly am.

If this act was based on people who are known trouble causers, I'd be all for it. But it seems it will be under an officer's first impression.

Reply Posted by a on Friday March 29 2013 at 13:58
But if you use the place for its purpose then you shouldn't be dispersed.

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Friday March 29 2013 at 14:01
If that is the case, then I'll have no objections. But if I get moved on solely for being with friends, I'll not be too happy.

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Friday March 29 2013 at 14:03
And for the record. I agree with the under 16 curfew.

Reply Posted by a on Friday March 29 2013 at 14:46
When I was 16 the curfew was in place, and I used to hang around in a large group, they would come over speak to us, ask us what we was doing, then leave us, because we wasn't being a nuisance. Then again we was on fields, parks etc. (Not in a public place as such as a bus stop) however They don't just shift two young people because there young that's wrong on their part for stereo typing. They will shift you if your being a nuisance, and just hanging around 'cos there's nowhere else to go'. There's a difference. But I understand what you mean.

Reply Posted by not all kids are bad on Friday March 29 2013 at 16:34
Seems you all think the worst of our younger generation, what chance are they going to have bless them if very one doubts them for the sake of a few wrong uns, i was brought up not judge and have also brought my kids up not to judge and have a understanding that people are all individual and not all the same . Such a shame not many people think the same ..WELL KIDS THIS MAY HELP YOU , YOU HAVE RIGHTS TOO CHECK OUT THE UNITED NATIONS CONVENTION OF THE RIGHTS OF THE CHILD ARTICLE 31 .

Reply Posted by Robdought on Friday March 29 2013 at 18:56
The young people today in 2013 get a tough deal. What it needs is real work from all local parties. Police politicians schools and most important imput from the youth of today. I think I'm quiet able to look after myself however I've been in the bust station inthe daytime and feel intimidated by the groups of young people. I dread to think what is like in the evening. Lets concentrate on the offenders and not ALL YOUNG PEOPLE. They are not all the same.

Curfews should be imposed for persistant offenders and PARENTS should be accountable for there children. If as a parent you have failed bringing your children up to treat other people with respect. Then the parents should be made to accept there responsibilities for the child they have fetched into this world.

Moving people on because there is 2 or more wont solve the problemn. It will only put the problemn on someone else's doorstep out of sight out of mind.

Everybody in society as a responsibility to make things happen to make our town a safe place and be proud off.

The people that are elected to serve the people and the people that are paid thousands of pounds have a duty to offer our young people an alternative to what they have today. Blaming young people is not the way forward someone needs to get a honest grip of this situation. Today's young people are the Towns future.

Reply Posted by Michelle on Saturday March 30 2013 at 15:36
@steve u work in a bar at 16??? That's illegal u got to be 18 by law

Reply Posted by dee on Saturday March 30 2013 at 17:18
michelle..another barnsley know it all,,,,,ur wrong you can work in bars at 16..i am a landlady and have many waitresses working in my bar who are 16. and legal..they cannot serve alcohol until 18yrs old

Reply Posted by dee on Saturday March 30 2013 at 17:08
i dont go in town or use the bus station..but i am pleased that this curfew is in place they should stop all under 16s and anyone with a record for trouble entering the town.there a pain in the arse if there not already smack heads and thieves they will be by the time they reach 16..so good on the police..use your authority n kick there arses

Reply Posted by Nat on Saturday March 30 2013 at 17:20
It's a shame they couldn't move those idiots on today who were protesting. Embarrassing!

Reply Posted by Mike on Saturday March 30 2013 at 21:03
I agree with the order. It's time the youth of today decided to get out and do other things rather than being intimidating. I can think of a million things better to do than hanging around for hours aimlessly taunting other people. How about creating a website for other 'under 16's' in Barnsley to hang around on and discuss matters relating to how you can make a better life for yourselves. How about taking up a hobby, or offering to help others less fortunate, how about researching what employers are looking for in new employees and learning to do that job via the various you tube videos, or offering to volunteer yourselves in a similar job so that when you fill out a CV you don 't fill out the section that say's 'More about yourself' like this:- "hang 'round da bus station wiv mi homies and chek out da talent". I'm trying not to be stereotypical here but it's obvious some people prefer to use 'text speak' and 'gang related speech and syntax' than having a good command of the English language.

Just my 2p worth.

Reply Posted by Robdought on Saturday March 30 2013 at 23:38
Mike your comments are very clear. The problemn young people face today they are the forgotten society.

That's why the young people are today's problemn. That's why there are 1 million young people unemployed.

Education and respect are missing in today's society. The reason we are now in the 3rd Generation of family's that have been rejected by the goverments past and present. If we contiue to treat people as worthless then eventually they will believe it themselves and then we are in trouble as a community.

It's the. Sign of the future and we carnt blame young people of today. They're the victimns in all this mess.

Reply Posted by Brian on Sunday March 31 2013 at 15:26
Robdought- Get a grip man. There are plenty of activities for young people to partake in if they wish to do so. Hanging around the bus station and similar places is just inappropriate and unwise. In modern times we all have to look for opportunities to better ourselves and not expect others to 'spoon feed' us. It is simply a case of getting off your backside, applying honest endeavour coupled with a bit of good fortune along the way and making something of your life. Sadly, Barnsley has more than its fair share of youngsters who cannot see further than their own nose end and that is something which parents and educationalists have to address. If people are prepared to work at something the opportunities and rewards will be there.

Reply Posted by trew on Sunday March 31 2013 at 17:57
Well said Brian!
We have so many 'victims', cant do this cant do that, when will some people realise you have got to make things happen in your life. It might not be easy, but things worth having rarely are.
Get on with your lives, make the best of it you only have one!

Reply Posted by Joanne Catlady on Friday April 5 2013 at 15:10
Thank you, Grumpy Old Man. Brilliant comment.

Reply Posted by Believer of Bob on Friday April 5 2013 at 15:24
dont stop believing................

Reply Posted by K on Friday April 5 2013 at 22:33
This is stupid tho cos some film don't finsh till after 9 youth clubs don't finsh till 9 and under 18s night a regent don't finsh till half ten. So kids that are not cousing problems jst doing there usual thing like cinema youth club or under 18 night when going to bus station are going to get picked up by the police that's not right I go to these myself and so d my friend we don't go out to cause trouble we g out to have fun on a night a these places.. See people don't think of that nether do the police, y don't they go kick the town army out of town then there might not be as many problems..

Reply Posted by aaron on Saturday April 6 2013 at 03:24
Steve is it your dads bar n you work there cos a think a know ya if it is

Reply Posted by Grim on Saturday April 6 2013 at 20:24
I agree with Brian and Grumpy.
There has to come a time when we as adults start to demand respect and decent behaviour from teenagers and children. There has to be a time when young people start to realise that the easy times on benefits are over and that the quicker they grow up and start educating themselves instead of hanging around in public spaces, the better off they will be.
All this has come about because of lazy parenting by people who themselves have used the welfare system as a crutch and who have cared too much about the internet and their booze and fags instead of watching and dealing with their kids. Most of whom have grown up expecting all their own way and who refuse to work.
Teenagers who come on here cannot type or spell or use the English language to any great degree and have far too much bad attitude, cheek and foul language. They will get nowhere in life and I can guarantee that in 20 years time they will still be hanging around in public spaces with their joints and tinnies talking garbage.

Reply Posted by stevo on Saturday April 6 2013 at 22:32
Grim,
nice twisting of the subject there,i tip my hat off to you, you really are an ars*hole!
So the original topic was about dispersal orders but you have now twisted it into people on benefits, I read your posts and they are straight out of the sun or daily mail, you are clearly a Tory supporter with Sh*t for brains who hasn't got a clue about the real world.
If I was you I go and take a deep breath, it is evidently clear that you have "issues".

Reply Posted by Grim on Tuesday April 9 2013 at 16:04
Stevo

You dont know what I vote for but just get it straight that the discussion was already about lack of morality and the uselessness of today's youth. I just added my thoughts.
You may call me nasty names and act like the typical bully and even accuse me of having issues. The reality is that people like you are incapable of having adult grown up debates without name calling and swearing. You are typical of the very people whom I complained about.
My issues are with the lack of decency and the rudeness of many people from Barnsley. It is because of behaviour like yours that the dispersal orders are being placed around the town.
Why can I not discuss people on benefits anyway? Surely as a tax payer I have a right to do just that. Unlike many of the eejits who hang around public spaces refusing employment and using foul language.

Reply Posted by Stevo on Tuesday April 9 2013 at 18:22
You posts read like right wing tory spin and rhetoric.
You are also quite clearly illiterate, what exactly is an "eejit" ?
Do tell.

You constantly bang on about benefit claimants in nearly every post you write under the guise of the freedom of free speech.
So I intend to pull you up on it every time you mention the issue, until you get bored.

Reply Posted by Grim on Thursday April 11 2013 at 18:49
Stevo

Unfortunately for you I am capable of using the English Language. An "eejit" is a modern slang term used by the Irish in particular for a "fool" or "imbecile".

I am entitled to bang on about any subject I please including benefit claimants and the current welfare state. You are obviously a troll (go and look that one up if unsure) but by all means feel free to try and play at internet bully.

I have touched a nerve with you and I hate to disappoint you but I do not vote Tory nor do I spout right wing rhetoric. However I do believe that the welfare state was introduced as a safety net and was not intended to be a catch all. That basically means that too many people are taking out of the pot here in Barnsley and many of those hanging around the public spaces within the town are guilty of that. Hence why I mentioned it.

PS if it hurts so bad go get a job.

Reply Posted by maud on Monday April 8 2013 at 10:24
well after reading all these comments nobody says a word about older people that may bump into family friends people they ant seen for a long time n stand in the middle of the bus station outside a shop talking i am myself in my 50's my husband is in a wheelchair so i need to pass i say excuse me can i just get passed please yungn's will move i have never had a problem with them but the older group of my own age group probably move about an inch or 2 but i still cant get passed they look at you n carry on talking a man once was talking coming down the side of boot's almost walked in to me not looking what he was doing i pulled back so he did'nt fall over the chair but he was the one who gave ME THE VERBAL ABUSE with foul language this man was not a yung'n so come on let's not always blame the yung'ns there is good n bad in all age groups

Reply Posted by LV on Tuesday April 9 2013 at 14:54
I agree with Maud, there are more older folk who are down right rude, but what's more intimidating? An older person, toddling along, or a group of under 20's congregated together, messing about in busy public areas. I myself am under 25 and will walk on the opposite side of the road to avoid some groups!

Use the excuse of "there's nothing for kids to do" all you want! There are sports clubs, volunteering groups, etc. I didn't hang out in groups outside the bus station when I was younger - I either went somewhere out of the way so we wouldn't be getting abuse for 'loitering' etc or I just wouldn't go out! When I was 14 I used to go to a ethnic minorities youth group at the YMCA - and before anyone says "They're just for minorities" I'm white, my parents are white and I was born in Barnsley. Youths these days need to look past to stigma of "I'm not doing that it's not cool" get your friends involved in stuff you all enjoy, there's actually a lot to do! A lot of groups are being shut because of lack of participants/volunteers, so why don't they get their heads out of their backsides and do something worthwhile with their time?!

Reply Posted by The reaper on Tuesday April 9 2013 at 15:55
I agree with both sides of the argument. However, reading alot of the post, people seem to misunderstand the dispersal order

Firstly it only has effect in the mentioned areas, NOT the bus station, which people keep mentioning. These areas have had, over the past couple of month, high ASB therefore the police can move along anyone in a group of 2 or more if they are there for no apparent reason and causing a problem. It does not mean that people who have stopped to chat to a mate for 5 minutes will get moved on, it does not mean if your skateboarding on a street with you mates, not causing a problem you will get moved on. The idea is to tackle the ASB in those areas affected.

People have also assumed its youths, the dispersal order states "people". So yes, elderly people could be moved in theory if they are causing a problem.

And lastly, just for the record you can work in a pub under 18, you just can't serve at the bar.

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday April 11 2013 at 21:17
And as per usual park road/Locke park area is not on the list, the worst effected area from 4pm onwards mmmmmm something tells me that the police are scared of this area of an evening

Reply Posted by Free Dating sites on Saturday August 10 2013 at 22:28
Hi there, I enjoy your site if I'm straightforward. Wherever did you obtain it built?