Cudworth Man Is Sentenced For Manslaughter

Friday March 22 2013

Cudworth man sentenced Cudworth man sentenced

A TWENTY-YEAR-OLD man from Cudworth has been sentenced for manslaughter.

Jordan Sheard was sentenced at Sheffield Crown Court for the manslaughter of Steven Simpson.

Sheard was sentenced to three years and six months imprisonment.

Steven Simpson was 18-years-old when he died in June 2012 after sustaining significant burns to his body after attending a party in the Cudworth area of Barnsley.

Jordan Sheard was arrested in June 2012, and charged with manslaughter in November 2012.

"Steven was described by all who know him as a very caring and likeable young man," said DCI Sean Middleton. "His generous spirit was taken advantage of and a single thoughtless act resulted in his death. Jordan Sheard has admitted his guilt today and will have ample opportunity to reflect on his conduct."

Reply Posted by Paula on Friday March 22 2013 at 10:20
Such a massive waste of a precious life people like Jordan Sheard should pay a massive penalty not just over 3 years a total let down for Steven Simpsons family R.I.P wish you would have got real justice !

Reply Posted by lee on Friday March 22 2013 at 10:22
3.5 years what a joke! Should have been put through the same pain as poor Steven.

Reply Posted by Bobby on Friday March 22 2013 at 10:25
You are joking 3 and a half years! Absolute disgrace. He should have got at least 25 years, who the hell arrives at such a lenient sentence for such a cruel hateful crime?
He ought to rot in jail.

Reply Posted by loz on Friday March 22 2013 at 10:27
Thought manslaughter was a minimum of 7years! :/

Reply Posted by stacey on Friday March 22 2013 at 11:08
Absolutly disgusting he ahould have got life i live in cudworth and knowing he will be out in 3.5 years god help him.

Reply Posted by Amy on Friday March 22 2013 at 11:10
Right let me just tell you all something shall I..... None of you know all the facts, there wasn't just one person that was responsible for the ACCIDENT that lead to the death of a young man. Plus Steven's family have said they don't blame Jordan for the accident They were all to blame not just one so were are the others who were involved? they have not got the balls to stand up and be a man and take there punishment in this! Stop assuming because to assume makes a ass out of u and me! Think of the wider picture and other families that are devastated with the shocking result. Yeah I agree if our justice system was any good then the other lads involved would be joining the one who has been sentenced! Rant over!

Reply Posted by mal on Friday March 22 2013 at 14:26
Amy,. forget the bigger picture. You can't compare 'others being devastated" when on lad hass been killed. Being devastated is a temporary affliction. His parents are in shock. He was a disabled child living alone, and his parents probably always feared the late night knock on the door.

This criminally irresponsible yob Jordan Sheard, doused then set fire to a disabled person. 3.5 years is not enough. One can only hope he gets his due in that time. There is nothing this yob will learn in prison. There is nothing redeeming about this yob.

Reply Posted by kenneth sheard on Friday March 22 2013 at 15:12
yes amy no one knows the facts end of the day they where mates, hes been made out to be a monsteer when in fact hes a good lad,it was a silly prank that went wrong,, as stated in court, ,,so sorry for stephens family,

Reply Posted by lee on Friday March 22 2013 at 11:31
^ These people took a LIFE, due to their foolish behaviour. It's obvious the sort of people they were. They should all have been punished far more severely as an example to others. That's what would have happened in countries where they actually have a justice system.

Reply Posted by yo yo on Friday March 22 2013 at 11:38
The only facts needed are a lad lost his life because of some little sh**s having a 'laugh'.
What a cruel bully he and his coward mates were for doing this. Lock him up and throw away the key.

Reply Posted by Kat on Friday March 22 2013 at 11:44
3.5 half years for a a young lads life is a joke and he wont even serve that what a joke our justice system is.

Reply Posted by Lou on Friday March 22 2013 at 11:44
Just because others weren't brought to justice for this crime does not mean the ones who were should receive more lenient sentencing. I am sorry for the pain caused to both families but would people be so defensive if it was their son, brother ir friend that had died under such horrific circumstances. Somehow i think not!! Murder is murder and manslaughter is manslaughter, they are crimes which result in the death of another individual and anyone who commits such crimes should be punished accordingly, not let back onto the streets within 2 year because this is what will happen. RIP Stephen xx

Reply Posted by Me on Friday March 22 2013 at 11:44
None of u no nothing at least he admitting making a mistake and is doing his time 4 that mistake and if u read everything including what the victim has said all u ppl will no that it was a prank gone wrong in which the victim took part himself and ye it is so tragic steven lost his life and will be missed dearly by all. Where is the other cowards that took part eh !!

Reply Posted by malco on Friday March 22 2013 at 14:36
Who cares if its a prank? The end point was the death of this kid. Throwing oil on someone and then setting them alight, is not a 'prank'. At what stage was the laughing supposed to start? When the screaming stopped?

How stupid do you have to be not to expect that outcome? How was the 'prank' supposed to go right?

Reply Posted by kenneth sheard on Friday March 22 2013 at 15:17
it wasnt even jordan who put the oil on him,, and who would have thought suntan oil would burn???so if you nowt to say keep ya fkin mouthw shut while you know what really happened, and not just what you all read inj the press

Reply Posted by Ian on Sunday March 24 2013 at 14:34
" who would have thought suntan oil would burn??? " Perhaps the numpty who used a lighter. A lighter is a thing you light things with like fireworks, fags, barbeques and of course one of your mates. Why would you use a lighter if not to set light to something?

Reply Posted by maxine farley on Saturday April 13 2013 at 22:33
Do you have any idea how hard it is for people with Autism?. Everyday is a struggle!, they are vulnerable and don't have the social skills that the rest of us have. They have sensory problems and other problems and people take advantage of their vunerability. When you read a report saying that a lad had Aspergers and other disabilities and ended up tragically passing away after a prank at a party you feel extreme anger!. People that have children with Autism like me, feel naturally protective. As for the people that bullied him before, I am furious. I heard that someone threw paint all over him. How could they be so cruel. They must be the "dreggs" of society!

Reply Posted by maxine farley on Saturday April 13 2013 at 22:58
Steven took part in it because he was vulnerable due to his Autism, they don't understand social cues like you and I. It makes his death even more unbearable and it is perfectly understandable that people are angry. I can't stand the thought of anyone bullying him, he looks like a beautiful young man and I hope to God that nothing like this ever happens again. Shame on the people that made his life so unbearable that he had to move to a different area. Why didn't anyone protect him and sort these bullies out!.

Reply Posted by SteveSE on Thursday April 18 2013 at 17:16
The clue there would be in the word 'oil' I suspect. If they didn't think it would burn, I notice none of them tried pouring on their own genitalia and igniting it. Instead they singled out the kid with mental health problems and coated him in it. What do you thing they were intending to do with the lighter if not set him on fire? Caramelise him maybe?

Reply Posted by SteveSE on Thursday April 18 2013 at 17:20
I absolutely agree with you Maxine. As I was reading the story, part of the horror was discovering that someone facing so many challenges was living alone at such a young age, with seemingly little or nothing to protect him from the scum he fell in with, and who ultimately brought about his death.

Reply Posted by lou on Friday March 22 2013 at 11:54
Obviously you are a friend of Mr Sheard so find it easier to forgive. Wonder if you would have been as forgiving if it was one of your loved ones who had died. If i murdered someone but was sorry would that make me eligible to walk free? Certainly not!! Suppose some people think they are allowed to do what they want but my children have to walk the streets of this country with murderers and that frightens me.

Reply Posted by Gary Hotchins on Friday March 22 2013 at 12:21
Very brave words stacey, would u care to put your second name.. and i wonder why Jordan hasn't been attacked before now never mind waiting 3 n half years.. I'll tell you why because people know that it was a prank that went wrong and Jordan was at least man enough to stand up and admit his guilt and has took the blame for all the others involved.. we were all teenagers once and got up to all sorts of antics some worse than this but fortunately no one lost their lives. My heart goes out to the families of both Stephen and Jordan.. And yes I am prepared to put my name to this comment and not hide behind an alias

Reply Posted by Dave on Friday March 22 2013 at 14:07
Very Brave words gary

Reply Posted by Bumster on Friday March 22 2013 at 14:37
Ok Gary. So how many people did you douse and set fire to when you were younger?

Reply Posted by kenneth sheard on Friday March 22 2013 at 15:19
well said r gazza, hey bumster dont talk like a ****, which obviousley you are,,get to know the facts before you mouth off

Reply Posted by Dave Wright on Friday March 22 2013 at 15:23
come on gary weres your brave words im not hiding behind an alias you fool looks like your not so brave when a man speaks his mind

Reply Posted by Gary on Friday March 22 2013 at 15:29
I am not getting into an argument with you David. I have my opinion which I am entitled to we are supposed to live in a democratic society. And believe me I'm no fool.

Reply Posted by Dave Wright on Friday March 22 2013 at 15:41
Well dont start mouthing about other peoples opinions and yes you are a fool

Reply Posted by maxine farley on Saturday April 13 2013 at 22:36
Yes, we were all teenagers once, but it's funny I don't ever remember setting fire to someone with learning disabilities as a joke!

Reply Posted by maxine farley on Saturday April 13 2013 at 22:43
If you knew anything about Autism, you would not be so forgiving!. Why don't you get in touch with the National Autistic Society and see how they view this.

Reply Posted by maxine farley on Saturday April 13 2013 at 22:48
If anyone dared my son to strip down to his underwear at a party as a joke, I would be absolutely furious! and people don't look down on Barnsley it's a beautiful area. The whole of Yorkshire is.

Reply Posted by SteveSE on Thursday April 18 2013 at 17:25
Gary, perhaps if he was man enough to testify against these 'others' who wouldn't come forward we would have a bit more respect, but as it stands, if you are to be believed, others responsible for his death are walking the streets. Comfort indeed for all of us, as I am sure you'll appreciate.

I trust you did the decent thing though, and informed the police of everything you knew about these others.

The only people in this world who benefit from people keeping their mouths shut, are the ones that have done something wrong.

Reply Posted by lee on Friday March 22 2013 at 13:41
Agreed. And people wonder why Barnslsey is looked down on by so many people..

Reply Posted by Dave Wright on Friday March 22 2013 at 13:52
Whats up gary nowt els to say now you soppy c***

Reply Posted by Gemma on Friday March 22 2013 at 14:07
A prank that went my Arse........... the victim was a vunerable young man, who befriended everybody, even is enemies, and thats what they were, they wanted to make him a laughing stock, cos thats the sort of lads they were, bullies !!!............. and everyone putting comments on here acting on the bullies defencr then your no better than he is, he came forward and owned up cos there was too many people saw him do it......... he deserve's life, what 3 and half year, he'll be out in 2yr, well i hope they do the same to him when he gets out, fight fire wi fire!!!.......... the scumbag, i hope the set him on fire in prison.............. and then he goes to Hell......... where he belongs...............

Reply Posted by Jeff on Friday March 22 2013 at 15:36
Well said gemma. So Jordan ran off and didn't help to put him out? And tried saying Steven set himself on fire at first? Makes you wonder if he actually meant to do it. NONE OF YOU know the facts unless you were there. Jordan has got off light end of ******* chat. Even if he was egged on Jordan is a MAN and nobody forced him to spark the lighter. So it is Jordans fault, NOBODY ELSE'S. He knew exactly what he was doing and needs to be punished. Facts aside, there has been the death of a completely innocent young man and in my eyes, it should be life for a life. How people are defending him is disgusting.

Reply Posted by me on Friday March 22 2013 at 16:45
You all no jack go read up on this as jordan was the only 1 to put him out and when steven walked out to the ambulance thanked him 4 helpin did u all no that no cause its 1 of the few facts out there !!! This hurts all round an had it been mine ye ad be gutted but imagin it bein 1 of yours goin to jail 4 something u dint mean to happen as the judge said a tragic accident but got time to prove silly pranks can go awfully wrong so quick na jordan will carry the loss of a good mate 4 the rest of his life but at least he payin 4 it now an 4 eva rip steven x

Reply Posted by SteveSE on Thursday April 18 2013 at 17:32
I can only assume that there is something seriously wrong with a lot of young people in Cudworth mate, based on your comments. In the normal world people do not pull a lighter out and try to set others on fire .... not even as a prank.

Excuse it all you like, but it was the kids with Asperger syndrome that died, not any of the others there who were just plan stupid.

When you, and all the others defending this guy, grow up, you'll realise that most decent people in this world find the idea of a young kid with mental health problems getting set on fire by his 'mates', as utterly disgusting, and no amount of excuses will change that.

Reply Posted by matthew on Friday March 22 2013 at 22:41
This is why the world is like it is. I dont give too shits what any of you say this was ***** murder to a poor boy that couldnt defend is self or wouldnt harm a single person when the sick bastard set him alight he would have known clearly what he was doing. So 3 and half years is jack shit he should be tortured every day for rest of his life but the world will only get worse but all the government thinks and is money and all the police think about is speeding motorists

Reply Posted by Dan on Saturday March 23 2013 at 01:39
Sentence should be more like 20 yrs IMO. Are people going to have to start taking matters into their own hands? I and many others have written to the Attorney General asking the Court of Appeals to review the unduly lenient sentence. Anyone can do it and they have to review it if even just 1 person does it. This scumbag should rot in jail.

Reply Posted by Shocked on Saturday March 23 2013 at 10:01
Just read this in a national newspaper, absolutely heart breaking cruel cruel bas****s. He should be locked up and given a good hiding every morning and night. Hope sentence is reviewed and he gets at least 25 years. Total scum.

Reply Posted by Lee on Sunday March 24 2013 at 18:24
Stop arguing over this tragedy, don't you think all families involved are going through a tough time at the moment eh, show some respect, I know what I'm talking about, I now live in Stephen's old flat

Reply Posted by maxine farley on Saturday April 13 2013 at 23:05
Yes and I feel gutted for Stevens family. I can't imagine what they must be going through.

Reply Posted by Wayne Sheard on Monday March 25 2013 at 03:13
I'm Jorden's brother! Someone lost their life during this night! No one can change that and my heart is with his family and my mum is living every day of her life knowing this too! There has been media speculation that Jorden did this purely himself! This is not the case! Just to set a few facts: Jorden did not pour anything on anyone, Jorden did not 'write' anything on anyone! Jorden has also taken the blame for other members of the crowd involved as he pleaded guilty! Just to let everyone know, Jorden is not homophobic! Just to let you know, I'm his brother! Just to let you all know, I'm his gay brother!

Reply Posted by maxine farley on Saturday April 13 2013 at 22:15
You are very brave commenting on here Wayne and I didn't know Steven, but I am really devastated by his death. I have a son with Autism and when you read a story like this in the paper, you feel totally disgusted and angry. I think that anyone who ever bullied him and made his life a misery should be held accountable. I would not be able to forgive someone if it was my son, I know how vulnerable people with special needs are. They need protecting.

Reply Posted by Amy on Wednesday March 27 2013 at 00:19
I like how since Wayne commented no one has replied! And as I stated previously the family of Steven do not blame Jordan for what happened there the only peoples comments who matter. we know the TRUTH and don't thrive on gossip putting our noses into something that's not our business. The only reason why we have defended Jordan is because he did the right thing, were not saying he is purely innocent and it's a wrong conviction we are saying out of all the MEN there that night Jordan is the only one to face up to his responsibility by taking his punishment and serving his time regardless of how long! So I think all you haters should mind your own business and actually look up the word respect see what it means instead of shooting him down on here when you don't even know him!!!! RIP Stephen and my thoughts go out to you all. X

Reply Posted by maxine farley on Saturday April 13 2013 at 21:59
Newsflash!, Steven had been bullied before!, he had anti-gay slogans written on his forehead. He had Autism and they dared him to strip down to his underwear. Do you want me to go on!. Jordan did not do the right thing. If you had a son with Autism like I do, you would not be so forgiving, believe me. I and many others are furious!. I can also tell you that as parent of a son with Autism, it is my business. I have no intention of standing up for someone that took advantage of a vulnerable person. That is not respect!. You need to take your rose tinted glasses off.

Reply Posted by SteveSE on Thursday April 18 2013 at 17:40
"The only reason why we have defended Jordan is because he did the right thing"

Actually poppet, he did the wrong thing. Its wrong to set other people on fire.

He didn't admit it, he denied it, and blamed the victim.

He didn't face up to his responsibilities, he was forced to face up to his responsibilities.

As for minding out own business, it is our business if we have to walk the same streets as scum that should be locked up for a very long time.

Jordan might have made a mistake, but it was a big mistake that resulted in someone dying. He should pay a penalty for it. A big one.

It seems half the yoof in the town know who else was to blame. Maybe if they developed a bit of spine and helped ensure all those involved where suitably punished, they would earn a little respect.

Reply Posted by .... on Wednesday March 27 2013 at 20:37
Maybe let's see how he likes it when he gets out ... I know it won't be last of it . And he did not help he ran off .

Reply Posted by Amy on Friday March 29 2013 at 23:37
..... How do you know? Was you there? If so you should be locked up too! And where are the threats going to get you? Not very far pal! So be careful what your saying!

Reply Posted by SteveSE on Thursday April 18 2013 at 17:43
Actually Amy, after reading all of this, if I were the local police, you'd be the first I'd be carting off for interrogation. You seem to be very up on what happened

Reply Posted by Dan on Saturday March 30 2013 at 03:54
Amy you're clearly a moron. We need to find out who the other were, they need some justice...

Reply Posted by Dan on Monday April 1 2013 at 22:07
"How do you know? Was you there?" *Were YOU there? It sounds like you were. You better hope I don't find you.

Reply Posted by Sarah on Thursday April 11 2013 at 12:06
If this was my brother I would not be able to look at him I would dis own him because this is pure evil in my eyes. They went to the lads party they took the piss out of his disabilities wrote offensive things on his body about his sexuality covered him in oil then (Jordan) lit him up and they all ran away. Does he have a mind?? He could have stopped did any one actually put force on him to set the lad on fire?? How about Stephens family they have lost there son he will never return the family will be broken forever!! Jordan will return and be able to live his life even though he should be locked up for longer because he was the one the only one who actually flicked the lighter at him!!! The rest should be named and shamed and also punished for taking part in the bullying. People with autism are the kindest people I've ever met they trust anyone and think no one will ever hurt them..they deserve respect too not to be covered in oil bullied and burned alive if you have a child with autism you will know how caring they are I have a daughter with Aspergers she is the most caring child I know she wouldn't hurt a fly. I am so upset for Stephens family they have lost an angel!!!r.i.p Stephen

Reply Posted by maxine farley on Saturday April 13 2013 at 21:51
Sarah, I totally agree with everything you say, people with Autism are beautiful and also vulnerable, I want to see everyone that made Stevens life a misery held accountable for their disgusting behaviour. I feel devastated for his parents, this last year must have been hell for them. Sheard and the rest of them deserve a more substantial sentence, it's an absolute disgrace.

Reply Posted by maxine farley on Saturday April 13 2013 at 21:45
I am disgusted by anyone that feels the need to bully a person with Autism and other disabilities. They are vulnerable and need protecting. Who I would like to know, was bullying Steven before this happened?. I hope they were prosecuted as well. My Son has Autism and living every day is hard enough without ignorant bullies making life even tougher. Also Stephen had homophobic messages scrawled on his forehead. Many people including myself are furious with EVERY PERSON that made Stevens life a misery. They all deserve to be locked away for a very long time. My sympathy goes out to Stevens parents.

Reply Posted by Ade on Sunday April 14 2013 at 01:00
There's diffrent breads of Cats and Dogs and there's diffrent breads of humans.

RIP Stephen God Bless your Family and Friends.