MP Criticises Chancellor's Budget

Monday March 25 2013

Dan Jarvis MP Dan Jarvis MP

DAN Jarvis has challenged George Osborne for failing to set out any vision for the families of Barnsley in his last four budgets.

Saying Barnsley's a town with a proud history and what should be a bright future, he's disappointed in the Chancellor's Budget.

He said: "Each week, I see and hear what the Chancellor failed to address on Wednesday: a lack of opportunity, a lack of growth in our economy, and a lack of vision from a government more interested in running the country than changing it."

“We need a Chancellor and a government with a vision for Britain and for towns like Barnsley," he added.

Reply Posted by Jayne on Monday March 25 2013 at 09:46
We have an mp in Barnsley do we. Not being funny mate but mr Jarvis you have done nothing for the people of this town apart from line your own pocket. 2 things that have happened this month and you have not stopped it from happening. 1 the exercise referral scheme at the Metrodome. 2 school milk. Kids aged 6 upwards can not have school milk anymore even though we pay for it. Barnsley council are maggie thatcher in disguise. My kids are fine, they have as much milk as they want but what about those kids whose parents don't care. It stinks they are just children

Reply Posted by LV on Monday March 25 2013 at 13:00
Instead of ranting about his failing on a local news page why don't you email Mr Jarvis directly and ask him what he's going to do about these issues you have raised? It's likely to be a much more fruitful venture.

All I ever see is people complaining about how no one ever does anything they ask - but when it comes down to it, they're voicing their opinions in the wrong place!!! It's like having a debate at a kids playground!!

Reply Posted by Dave on Monday March 25 2013 at 13:40
You do realise that Dan Jarvis does not run the council don't you?
He is an elected MP and not a councillor...........

Reply Posted by rainbow on Monday March 25 2013 at 15:49
Dan Jarvis uses We Are Barnsley to promote his issues surely Jayne has a right to say hers without it being called a playground rant. That has long been a problem with Labour they never listen to the people because they seem to think that they always know best..??

Reply Posted by Simon Walsh on Monday March 25 2013 at 17:11
How has he lined his own pocket? It was Eric Illsley who fiddled his expenses. If you don't like the MP make an appointment to see him at one of his surgeries, and if you're still not satisfied vote for someone else.

Reply Posted by Nick on Tuesday March 26 2013 at 09:08
I was quite happy with his Budget tbh.

Reply Posted by Charles on Tuesday March 26 2013 at 11:14
I too think that the Chancellor, more or less, got the budget just about right. Let us not forget that the Chancellor is severely restricted in what he can do as the country is on the verge of bankruptcy. MP Dan Jarvis appears to think that the way forward is to continue to borrow more money, which is completely ridiculous. Has he no grasp of basic economics. Let us also not forget that it was the last Labour government which got us in to this mess.

Reply Posted by stevo on Saturday March 30 2013 at 11:44
Charles,you talk absolute CRAP!

This country was ruined by Thatcher because she failed to get a grip on the steelworkers and miners.
The shift from manufacturing to the service industry by the tories was the biggest fail in the history of our country.
The seed was sown in the late 70's and early 80's so don't be giving up the "labour got us in this mess" garbage!
What has Gideon actually achieved?
More borrowing,more unemployment, stealth taxes the likes of we have never seen,back door privatisation of our greatest asset - NHS and more importantly tax cuts for millionaires!
The normal working man and woman have paid more than their fare share of taxes,its time the rich bear the majority of the burden and rightly so.
I read some of your comments and it is evidently clear you are a Tory who quite frankly doesn't have a clue about the real world.
The tories are going to get their ar*es kicked at the next general election and for this Mr Tory lover - I CAN NOT WAIT!

Reply Posted by Paul on Tuesday March 26 2013 at 16:20
Who is Dan Jarvis?

A Gordon Brown career politician implanted into a Labour safe seat, at least with Ennis & Illsey we had the Minister for Brass Bands and Minister for the Crooked, respectively.

Don't be fooled that this guy cares about Barnsley.

Reply Posted by observer on Friday March 29 2013 at 19:22
i respond to jayne. it was actually thatchers govt that stopped school milk in the 80s. and was the first thing that the tories stopped in this term. i dont know much about dan jarvis. other than hes not from round here. but he didnt stop the school milk for any age group. i think thatcher got what she wanted by implying in the 80s that there was no such thing as communities. so she destroyed them. the countries full of whiistle blowers and im all right jacks. ok some sections of people are given things that other people dont agree with, which has created unsettling jealousness. so we are now in a situ where everything we have or dont have are.."we pay our taxes" issues.i still beleive the mess we are in today was caused by the tories going back to the 80s...im not talking about countries debt. i personally dont think we would be in a bad state should we be in zillions of debt. jobs have to be paid for. no matter what. things have to be done, and have to be paid for. ok labour provided jobs. but paid folk to do them. the tories cut jobs and made excuses. end of.

Reply Posted by Jayne on Monday April 1 2013 at 16:23
To LV please don't for min presume that I have not gone directly to dan before ranting as you so put it, but I was completely ignored. No surprise there then. Believe me I have an opinion and I am not scared to face up to it. I am entitled to my opinion on what I believe is fair and right because the last time I checked we still had the right to freedom of speech. To all those who think mr Jarvis doesn't have much say in what happens at local council level are very misinformed. He has a lot of clout and can swing decisions one way or the other. Oh I totally agree maggie started this crap and Cameron is gonna finish it. Maggie took away free school milk not milk at school altogether. I pay for my kids there's but Barnsley council have taken that away not Cameron. Wakefield schools still have the option. Look I am not getting political but wether you agree with me or not I just don't like it when children, helpless children have to suffer because of cuts. It's wrong and if people don't like me for that then that's just tough