The Budget - What You Need To Know

Wednesday March 20 2013

Are you happy with the Budget? Are you happy with the Budget?

CHANCELLOR George Osborne announced his Budget to millions at 12.30pm on Wednesday. Here's a break down of the main facts.

- Beer duty's been scrapped, so pints will be 1p cheaper.

- Other alcohol will rise as predicted.

- Treasury to give equity loan of 20% to cover deposit on anyone who's buying new house - this'll encourage spending and economic growth.

- September's planned fuel duty increase has also been scrapped, which would've seen its price go up by 13p per litre.

- Raising income tax threshold will mean means £700 less paid by working families.

- Tax-free childcare vouchers will be available for working families to ease strain of costly care.

- The flat-rate pension scheme of £144 has been brought forward to 2016.

- They're to name and shame tax avoiders.

- There'll be an extra £3bn available from 2015/16 for infrastructure.

- Income tax threshold is to be raised to £10,000 by next year.

- The first £2,000 is to be taken off all employers' National Insurance bills.

- Service personnel (military, etc) will be exempt from the public sector 1% pay rise cap.

- Economic growth is forecast to be 0.6% this year.

- Borrowing is forecast to be £108bn next year, then £97bn in 2014/15, then £87bn the following year.

- The 2015/16 spending review will require savings of £11.5bn, not £10bn as originally planned.

What do you think? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by mary fenton on Wednesday March 20 2013 at 14:07
I think this is better than expected. I thought the government would have put severe cuts in place which would have probably lead to people being jobless and homeless and struggling to afford to live. Well done government you have proved me wrong. Xx

Reply Posted by Charles on Wednesday March 20 2013 at 14:24
Overall and despite the dificult circumstances, it appears to be a reasonable budget for the country.

Reply Posted by Phil Gregg on Wednesday March 20 2013 at 14:40
All the money the banks have recieved and the profits they are making and get away with it. The childcare money is only a fraction of the amount working families recieved through the reduced family tax credit once again working class paying for posh boys errors

Reply Posted by Sam on Wednesday March 20 2013 at 14:45
Like a lot if other people, this budget dies nothing for me. I don't pay tax already as my wage is so low; I haven't had a wage rise in 3 years, and a 1% increase doesn't keep up with inflation; I don't drink beer, I don't pay child care costs as my kids are young teens; and fuel costs me a fortune now, I could do with a cut in price, not a freeze! Struggle to make ends meet and nothing is going to change :-(

Reply Posted by Nick on Thursday March 21 2013 at 09:50
Well done to the Goverment.

Reply Posted by Rob Sykes on Thursday March 21 2013 at 10:17
I know it does'nt suit everybody but its sounding good to me :)

Reply Posted by trev on Thursday March 21 2013 at 10:30
the 1p cut in beer will mean at least 5p rise or more in alcipops spirits and so on don't forget voting in 2 years so they have to make the next few budgets look good or the rich wont be able to go on robbing the poor like they are now doing with cutting all the regions councils budgets i am disabled need care but barnsley council has put it up from £90 to £150 stinks all because cam con says our council has to save 37 million notice none of this was mentioned how he his hitting disabled and pensioners

Reply Posted by carol on Thursday March 21 2013 at 10:31
just another goverment scam to try and keep them in !!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by stevo on Friday March 22 2013 at 16:25
The Tories are SO predictable!
Tax cuts just before the next General Election, you mark my words!

They have had it and they know it, and are going to get there ars*s kicked at the next GE,As for the LiB dUMS, they will be cast into fourth division obscurity!

Reply Posted by brenda on Thursday March 21 2013 at 10:42
the "bedroom" tax is going to cause a lot of misery for people on low incomes,if people downsize, where are all the smaller houses and flats for them? this affects too many people i cant see how this can work. children are having to share bedrooms and be cramped up in smaller properties causing arguments and more stress. people who have lived in same house for decades will be forced to move after families have grown up and left, they will have to get rid of much loved furniture and possessions which have taken a life time to accuire

Reply Posted by stevo on Friday March 22 2013 at 16:27
Aww Diddums!

Council houses are NOT for life.
The sooner tenants realise this the better.

Reply Posted by Sharon on Saturday March 23 2013 at 21:37
Actually, mine is. Before tenancy changes recently Council tenants even had succession rights ie I could've passed mine on to my kids. Not everyone can afford to buy and don't assume that all council tenants are on benefits because they're not. My sister bought her council house through the right to buy scheme, her husband's a self employed builder and she works too. Although once my kids fly the coup I'm quite happy to downsize. My parents lived in a council house, then got a mortgage, family broke down, couldn't afford mortgage, house got repo'd now my mum's back in a council house and she's worked 3 cleaning jobs most of her life and now she's got to work even longer. My step dad's a long distance HGV driver and has been for years. He was even shop steward for United Transport distribution at one point. When you've spent a life time building a home for your family and have to sell up or give away everything you've worked for blood, sweat and tears then you'll have earned the right to be a heartless, disrespectful person.

Reply Posted by stevo on Sunday March 24 2013 at 11:40
Sharon, I wasn't being disrespectful, my original post was aimed at people moaning about the bedroom tax.
I am truly shocked if kids get "succession" rights to council houses/social housing, this law needs changing with immediate effect.

Reply Posted by me on Thursday March 21 2013 at 12:46
The British debt currently stands at 75.9% of what the country makes (GDP), and is projected to grow to 85% over the next three years... So Mr.Cameron/Mr. Osbourn, did you not say you were going tackle this when you were elected. At this rate the country will tip into bankruptcy in about seven years. WANKERS!

Reply Posted by Paul on Saturday March 23 2013 at 21:36
Im amazed at some of these comments When Labour left there was a note on the chancellors desk saying SORRY NO MONEY LEFT .Now borrowing is starting to take a turn and predict less borrowing next year . If tthe country goes bankrupt just take a look at Cyprus to see what happenes . Living in a council house for the rest of your life will be the least of your worries . There isnt one ATM open in Cyprus , so food is number one on the list for them . Forget about aircon and heating . Thats none existent
The only reason why your eletric,gas and fuel are going through the roof is because the country is totaly skint . This is due to Labour spending or giving immigrants money to enter UK and then also giving money for there familys abroad is the reason UK is in this mess . UK was in trouble 5 yrs ago and that was nothing to do with Conservatives . Labour cashed all your gold reserves and pension money in to pay these immagrants . I SAY BRING BACK LABOUR AND BANKRUPT THE COUNTRY . I now live in OZ ..

Reply Posted by Paul on Saturday March 23 2013 at 21:43
Well said stevo . There the scroungers that wantba living to be given to them by the hard working tax payers . Now its time to get off your arses and earn a living . The council houses are for the ones that are unable to work or until you get back on your feet .If you think different you or you children will never have nothing . Unless its through drugs!!!

Reply Posted by Sharon on Saturday March 23 2013 at 22:58
It's 'they are'. I'm no scrounger, I'm a survivor. I find comments like yours amusing; you obviously have a job.....for the time being. Private renting are you? Or do you still live with mum? Hope you never have to experience being homeless and by that I mean sleeping on park benches; be a bit hard to keep a job then. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs....look it up! I happen to be anti drugs, make ends meet by being a Virtual Assistant but I don't expect you'd know what that means. I have all I need self respect, pride and the unconditional love of my kids. Kids who are polite, well spoken and my 8 year old can write better than you and has more respect too. I'm also not a materialistic person. I don't care about 'things' and neither do my kids. However I do care about PEOPLE and I sincerely hope you never have to live the life I have lived. I do think you need to broaden your horizons a bit though, maybe read a little more.

Reply Posted by stevo on Sunday March 24 2013 at 23:01
ok you sound like you have had a hard ride but haven't we all?
A council house should be a stop gap and most certainly not for life.
I think the "succession" rights are absolutely disgusting and this legislation needs removing with immediate effect!
What does this learn ones children?
Oh here you go kid,now your mams got an old folks bungalow you can have her house!
Disgusting!
Doesn't learn your children to stand up on their own feet and get a mortgage and buy a house does it?
I have been homeless before,i slept on a mates floor for nearly two years because I had pride in myself to save up and get my own place without having to rely on the government for a handout let alone a house!
My mate had a wife and three kids and they didn't want me there,i spent all my time wandering the streets and only came back late at night so my mate could have a proper life with his wife and kids.
I saved up enough money to get a deposit on a mortgage,it was hard believe me,i had literally £20 a week left but the one thing that drove me was thinking that someday I would have my own place.
Once I had got my house I literally hadn't a pot to p**s in,i even cadged a black and white portable tv from my brother.
Yes life is hard but I never relied on the state to bail me out,not once ever!
When I was made redundant 5 years ago I didn't claim dole even though I was fully entitled.
I got a job within a WEEK!
The main problem with todays society is they expect everything for free and I personally think the automatic right to be housed should be removed.
Yes there are needy people that need immediate housing and I am all for the genuine people that do (like yourself) but far too many people have taken the p*ss over the years.
The sooner people realise that social housing is a stop gap the better.
I for one have some pride and have never been that desperate as to throw ones self at the mercy of the local council let alone be a tenant of one of their properties.
30 years ago living in a council house was frowned upon,nowadays in these austere times,living in a council house is viewed as getting one over the normal hard working people.
Unfortunately this attitude will never change.
One other thing I totally disagree with is the allocation of social housing to immigrants,this is morally and fundamentally wrong.
The sooner we start looking after our own the better.

Reply Posted by Paul on Saturday March 23 2013 at 21:55
We know there are people who need them Sharon . Its the people who cant be arsed to work and stay at home all there life on benefits . You work you pay taxes . Good on you Mrs