MP Wants To Hear From Town's Apprentices

Tuesday March 26 2013

Dan Jarvis MP Dan Jarvis MP

A BARNSLEY MP is keen to hear about the experiences of apprentices in the town.

MP Dan Jarvis believes apprenticeships offer a clear path to a successful career for thousands of people.

"They're of enormous benefit, not just to each apprentice but also for the businesses training them," he said.

In Barnsley, almost 1,000 young people are unemployed, and nationally the figure is almost one million.

"David Cameron’s government simply isn’t doing enough to create the apprenticeships Barnsley, and Britain, desperately need," he added.

"This national apprenticeship week I am keen to hear from any apprentices in Barnsley about their experience, how it has worked for them and how it could be improved."

He said he's keen to hear from any apprentices about their experience and how it's worked.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday March 26 2013 at 13:27
Without industries in Barnsley why would anybody train apprentices.? Labour did nothing for Barnsley in the 13 years they were in office, why should the Tories.? The trouble with most MP's these says is so few have ever had a proper job themselves. Barristers, lawyers, professional politicians, very few with industrial experience. It's they who need training, perhaps they should go to Germany to see how it's done.!!!!

Reply Posted by sharon on Tuesday March 26 2013 at 15:46
apprentiships are a good idea if you can get a placement which are a few and far between my daughter has been trying for 2 years with no success of a placement businesses in barnsleyare just not interested on one occasion she spent 6 hours traipsing from 1 place to another the best she has had is a days trial

Reply Posted by Jamie on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 14:10
Hi Sharon, I work for company who specialise in Apprenticeships and Training, with offices based in Barnsley - Lime People (Training Solutions) Ltd. If your daughter would like to contact us directly please ask her to call us 01226 779944. We have vacancies for Business Administration Apprenticeships in many areas. We would be more than happy to speak with your daughter. Thank You.

Reply Posted by Cathy on Tuesday March 26 2013 at 20:00
I'm glad he's looking at this, I think he will be shocked at how few places offer apprenticeships. We need apprentices in all trades for the future, we need to move soon on this one, been neglected too long.

Reply Posted by LV on Thursday March 28 2013 at 19:23
Apprenticeships are excellent in my opinion, it is true that placements can be hard to find but it depends on the industry you're looking at. I did business administration, took me about 6 months to get a placement but it was more than worth it!! The skills I learnt are invaluable and so is the confidence I gained. Unfortunately, at the end of my apprenticeship there wasn't a job for me to step into so the next 6 months were spent looking for a job to put the skills I'd gained to good use. Although, all in all it's a great way to get into an industry and it's excellent way to make a mark and at least get a good reference!

I do agree with comments about apprenticeships being hard to find but you just need to get yourself out there. If you can't find an apprenticeship trying looking at doing voluntary work in the meantime, I looked at this before being taken on as an apprentice. You just need to stick your neck out a little, print CVs and cold call businesses to see if they're interested. Keep an eye in the local paper for people advertising for trainees or juniors, the worst they can say is no. You just have to ask.

Reply Posted by Julie on Thursday March 28 2013 at 19:44
My youngest son got his apprenticeship before he left school. I did him a CV and he walked round all the industrial estates handing his CV out to anyone who would take it. He got offered an interview a couple of days later and started work as soon as he left school. Unfortunately, after 12 months, the company folded and he was left without a job. He carried on looking and knocking on doors and he now has an apprenticeship with an excellent company as a welder. He even enjoys the college part (he hated school) Keep trying and something will come up.

Reply Posted by nicola on Thursday March 28 2013 at 21:00
Apprenticeship's in my experience with my two daughters are very hard to find in all sectors .. Apprentices are about learning whilst working but there are still obstacles in the way such as gcse grades A - C !! Or have to be 18 . One of my daughters has been on a training course with Dimensions for 6month but cannot find a placement anywhere to be able to gain experience needed .. Its so frustrating for school leavers 16 to 18 especially if your not academic n leave school without A grades .

Reply Posted by Jamie on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 14:15
Hi Nicola, I work for company who specialise in Apprenticeships and Training, with offices based in Barnsley - Lime People (Training Solutions) Ltd. If your daughter would like to contact us directly please ask her to call us 01226 779944. We have vacancies for Business Administration, PMO (performing Manufacturing Operations) and ICT Apprenticeships in many areas. We would be more than happy to speak with your daughters.
We work with our Apprentices to strengthen English & Maths skills as part of the programme. Hopefully you will find this to be of some help. Thank You.

Reply Posted by Cathy on Thursday March 28 2013 at 21:44
Look on Totaljobs.com, they are advertising apprenticeship places in Rotherham (S63) in Customer Services at Lloyds Banking Group.
Not everyones cup of tea but thought it might help someone.

Reply Posted by KathrynFrances on Sunday March 31 2013 at 14:57
Ha! Apprenticeships are a joke! I was on a level 2 business administration one with ITS Barnsley. The course itself wasnt challenging, but the company I was placed with was a total farce! Had been established for four months before I became their apprentice. Subsequently the company went bust late last year. Workibg for them was absoloute hell, but I had no other choice. My advice to anyone thinking about going on one would be to try and be put with a reputable company. Saying that, I won learner of the year, but the god awful company took the shine off it all.

Reply Posted by Jamie on Tuesday April 2 2013 at 14:20
Hi Kathryn, unfortunately it sounds like you have had an extremely bad experience. Please do not tar us all with the same brush. If you are still looking or are interested in talking to a professional Apprenticeship company please do not hesitate to contact our offices in Barnsley on 01226 779944. We are Lime People (Training Solutions) Ltd and we specialise is Apprenticeships and Training. We currently have vacancies covering Business Administration, PMO (Performing Manufacturing Operations) and ICT in many areas. It would be great to hear from you and hopefully we can help you, if you have not already found anywhere. Thanks Jamie.