Councillor Has Confidence In Town Centre's Businesses

Friday March 15 2013

Cllr Burgess Cllr Burgess

COUNCILLOR Linda Burgess has said that there's an 'increasing confidence in Barnsley town centre as a retail destination'.

Her comments come after a number of units in the Metropolitan Centre have recently been leased. Several more are in negotiation, and three units are already open.

Darren Hughes, co-owner of Transform Images, said: “My business partner Clive has had a business in the town centre before, and we’ve been waiting for the right location to come back into to Barnsley. The town centre is buoyant and Barnsley has been the best opening of all our four shops so far. All our new staff are from Barnsley too.”

The Alhambra has also reported that all their units are let.

“There is an increasing confidence in Barnsley as a retail destination despite the continued world-wide economic downturn," said Cllr Burgess.

"There have been some notable losses on high streets up and down the country, but there is a lot of interest in Barnsley from new and expanding retailers, who will widen the diversity of attractions to the town.”

Reply Posted by Dannyboy on Friday March 15 2013 at 10:04
I hope so, at the moment all that is missing are the bread ques, let's hope people will be able to spend in these outlets, when these welfare reforms kick in spending will drop

Reply Posted by rainbowsnot on Sunday March 17 2013 at 12:03
If things are looking that good in Barnsley town center, I'm sure she'll be opening a new shop herself pretty soon, eh?

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest on Friday March 15 2013 at 16:49
Sorry but just making outrageous statements do not make them true, where are the facts? that she should be working with. Record numbers of shop closures and a semi derelict town centre should probably point her useless opinion in the opposite direction.

This is the lady thats in charge of our regeneration. In a couple of months she will make some statement about the new town centre being a step closer to starting, but we all know it won't. Please lets get shut.

Reply Posted by Grim on Friday March 15 2013 at 18:15
Too true Guesty. Utter codswallop.

Reply Posted by stevo on Saturday March 16 2013 at 04:29
I am scared, i am about to agree with both guesty and grim on both posts!

Ahh councillor Burgess,the very same one that said "it doesnt matter,there are plenty of other jobs in town" when Parkside at Darton shut.

The sooner the people of Barnsley grow a pair and kick these idiotic Labour buffoons out the better.

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday March 17 2013 at 13:04
Stevo,

Well said mate, I couldn't have described them better. ' idiotic labour buffoons '. The problem is how do we get some one who cares about our town and not lining their own pockets !!

Reply Posted by jason on Monday March 18 2013 at 15:26
what an absurd statement and once again shows the lack of reality from Linda Burgess, I have a shop on Doncaster Road and in the last year we have lost two very long standing businesses, The Barnsley Bike Shop (had been open over 25 years) and George Wards (open over 70 years), it's very tough climate and just because a few very average stores have opened up in the town and alhambra does not mean we have "increasing confidence". Footfall is down along with spending and the town is full of either idiots are people just killing time, also won't be long to HMV closing.

Reply Posted by stevo on Monday March 18 2013 at 20:42
I have walked through the town centre today for the first time in a while,HMV was being emptied of its shelves.
Walked through the alhambra and didnt recognise half of the shops in there!
Barnsley has never been what you could call a shopping "mecca" there are only a few that i would visit anyway.
Shows the calibre of the Barnsley shopper too when the only ones that seem to do well are the likes of TKmaxx,Primark and Sports direct.
Not dissing the people of Barnsley per se,just saying that the "lower end" shops always seem to do well.
Sorry to say its Meadowhall for me,they have everything under one roof,free parking,its lovely and warm and there are no alcos shouting and balling,nor are there smackrats asking to "borrow money for busfare!.
Whilst walking through the town TODAY i AGAIN got accosted by a young lady wanting to "borrow" money for busfare.
If the council is serious about re-making Barnsley and getting shoppers back into town then lets get the bobbies back on the beat and moving these people along.
Why on earth would anyone want to visit the town when theres hoardes of alcos shouting and balling and smackheads pestering for money?
As it was peeing it down i didnt have to suffer the shouty alcos,the town centre was almost deserted apart from a few Kosovans in their leather jackets talking into their mobile phones.

Councillor Burgess and the rest of the Labour buffons sat in their Ivory Tower havent got a clue and dont live in the real world.
Town Hall fountains in these "austere" times anyone?
The Civic going massively over budget anyone?
As for the comment of all the shops in the Alhambra being let,there were quite a few empty ones when i went through today.

Again just to reiterate The VERY same Councillor Burgess who said: it doesnt matter,there are plenty of other jobs in town" when Parkside at Darton closed down.

400 odd people lost their jobs when Parkside shut and she came out with an inflammatory comment like that.

Just goes to show the "calibre" of the elected councillors that YOU the people of Barnsley voted in.
AGAIN GROW A PAIR AND KICK THEM OUT!

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest on Monday March 18 2013 at 18:06
I wish we could put forward a vote of no confidence, councillor is a dirty word in this town.

clueless.

Reply Posted by Charles on Monday March 18 2013 at 22:36
Well Stevo, I certainly agree with you fully on this one. If brains were gunpowder, these Labour councillors would not have enough to blow their cap off.

Change is long overdue and it is beyond belief that the barnsley public continue to re-elect these bafoons year after year.

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest on Monday March 18 2013 at 23:10
I think its now time to think beyond just voting labour because the tories shafted the miners or lib dems because they sold out to cameron, next local elections barring bnp I will be voting ANYONE but labour, and I have been brought up in a labour household all my life. Thing is although the council is supposed to be red it isn't I don't think they stand for anything other than themselves. I don't think any of them have the interests of Barnsley at heart I believe we are now in a worse state than when the pits closed.

Next time the ballot boxes come out please give the other guy a chance. I mean what could be worse than where we are now?

I think it is time some of the contributors on this forum started showing up to public council meetings and asking some dificult questions. Why should they have an easy life when so many of us don't? Why should they be patting themselves on the backs when they have quite clearly failed? I think it smacks of ignorance the way they treat us year after year making the same promises the same mistakes and wasting the huge amounts of money that they do, all the while assuming that the people of Barnsley are stupid and can have the wool pulled over their eyes. Well I know just from reading on these forums that there are some very informed intelligent, articulate erudite people in Barnsley that could run rings around the elected shower and who despite differing opinions all have the same wish; for a better town.
Maybe some of us need to stand up and be counted? I know I am seriously considering it.

Reply Posted by stevo on Tuesday March 19 2013 at 07:22
Guesty,absolutely spot on!
Again something else that is "ingrained" into Barnsley society is voting Labour,i keep banging this home but they have done nothing for the people in our town.
I am a third generation Trade Unionist,my father and his father before him and have always fought for the rights of my fellow brothers and sisters,Labour promised us everything if they got in power and all they did was to water a few bits of Legislation down.
Yes generations of Town folk have always voted Labour,dare i say it i voted Lib dem a few years back,not that thats ever going to happen again whilstever i have breath in my lungs!
Even my staunch "red" father who is redder than red ken says he'll never vote for Labour again!

People are changing, as are attitudes to our elected representatives but i still fear i will not see significant change in my lifetime.

I've also said this before in previous posts but how DARE they field a candidate from outside the area? HOW DARE THEY!
Again,said this before but a monkey in an astronauts suit would get elected as mp for Labour by the local populous! (My favourite word Populous isnt it!)

I know one of the elected councillors and worked with him for many years (not in the council btw!) this "person" gets in year after year after year,there was only one other independant candidate that dared take him on and he ended up defecting to Labour anyway!

I was at the planning meeting the other summer when the draft proposals for the 21,000 houses we "need" were showcased,as soon as the councillor saw me he was off faster than speedy gonzales as he knew what was coming!
I have rang him EVERY week since and he never returns my calls.
He even hid behind his sofa and pretended not to be in when i walked up his path!
(Just to point out i'm not stalking him or anything like that,i just happened to be in the area at the time! hahahahah)

Reply Posted by Nick on Thursday March 21 2013 at 10:11
Agree with Fred, Stevo and Charles. Why the hell do the majority of Barnsley keep voting these cretins in? Unbelievable!

Reply Posted by Dawn on Thursday March 21 2013 at 18:51
More Poundshops then I guess. Whatever happend to *Remaking Barnsley*? I was looking forward to a Debenhams in Barnsley.

Reply Posted by stevo on Friday March 22 2013 at 16:50
Dawn, I have to be truly honest, i don't want Barnsley to be "re-made" ,tell you why?
Wasn't the last quote £400million or something like that?
We all know that if the Labour idiots get their way it will go massively over budget and the £400 mil will almost double.
I'd flatten the whole lot and start again, hang on isn't that what they have been saying they are going to do over the last 20 odd years?

Reply Posted by Cathy on Thursday March 21 2013 at 19:29
Barnsley needs some TLC. Who wants to walk round with druggies and drunks littering up the place. Get them sorted and make Barnsley good again.