Voluntary Action Barnsley Clean Up Wombwell Nature Reserve

Tuesday March 12 2013

IN two hours volunteers managed to fill up 22 bin bags with litter near a Wombwell nature reserve.

Ten Voluntary Action Barnsley litter pickers gave up their time on Monday to pick up the rubbish, which included a large amount of dog excrement, on the Trans-Pennine Trail near the Park Hill nature reserve, under the Station Road bridge.

The organisation has worked with residents and councillors in the past to improve Park Hill Brick Ponds in the interests of wildlife and residents.

A spokesman for Voluntary Action Barnsley, said: "Residents are hoping that now the area has been cleaned it will make people appreciate the area and think twice before dumping their litter and letting their dog foul."

Reply Posted by Jamie on Tuesday March 12 2013 at 14:11
This just shows that a lot of people can't be arsed to drop their rubbish in a bin

Reply Posted by paul on Tuesday March 12 2013 at 14:19
Do this regular on the trail through Dodworth ,I take a couple of carrier bags and fill them with crisp packets,plastic bottles,beer cans has i walk round,Its beyond a joke how some people have no respect to the areas they live in,Mostly kids that do it but i blame parents for not teaching their kids to put rubbish in a bag and put it in a bin.

Reply Posted by Mick on Tuesday March 12 2013 at 14:32
Great work. I particularly hate the amount of dog mess left around Barnsley. Of all the cuts the council are making i'm surprised they are cutting a dog warden role, I hope this doesn't affect enforcement against the disgusting people who leave dog mess around. I also think the council could make it easier to report offenders. The online form doesn't allow you to leave details anonymously. Personally i'm happy to leave my details, but many would be afraid to. More fines & prosecutions would be a great deterrent & pay for the extra dog warden.

Reply Posted by Julie on Tuesday March 12 2013 at 16:55
I agree with all the previous comments , the ones leaving all the mess just keep on getting away with it and have no concern or respect for our open spaces. Well done to the volunteers and VAB it's so refreshing to know that the majority appreciate and want to look after our area to make it a better place for everyone.

Reply Posted by Emma on Wednesday March 13 2013 at 20:10
Totally agree I regularly walk my dog and my dad regularly walks his on the trail and quite frankly it's disgusting, you are constantly worried about where your dog is walking due to broken bottles etc.. And in regards to dog mess, my view is if you can't be bothered to pick it up you shouldn't be allowed to be responsible for an animal, it's unfair on other dog walkers and members of the public

Reply Posted by lesley on Saturday March 16 2013 at 09:18
it's nice that people have cleaned up the area but a shame they have to. parents really should be teaching their kids to put their rubbish in bins or their pockets, just like my mammy did :D