MP Reveals Extent Of Bedroom Tax

Wednesday March 6 2013

Michael Dugher MP Michael Dugher MP

MP MICHAEL Dugher has revealed that nearly 2000 households are set to be hit by the Bedroom Tax in his Barnsley East constituency.

The National Housing Federation figures show that 1836 households in Barnsley East are set to lose on average £728 per year due to the government’s ‘Bedroom Tax’.

The government’s new rules state that housing benefit and universal credit claimants deemed to have one unused bedroom in their council or housing association home will lose 14 per cent of their housing benefit.

Those with two or more unused bedrooms will lose 25 per cent.

The tax is set to affect some 660,000 households nationally - two thirds of which are home to someone with a disability.

This change - due to come into effect on the 6 April 2013 - comes at the same time as the government is planning on giving a tax cut worth £100,000 to 13,000 millionnaires.

"This will hammer thousands of families in the area, and could drive people out of their homes. At the same time as this, the government's planning on giving millionaires a massive tax cut. How can this be right?"

Reply Posted by paula on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 14:17
This is rite all the time money gets cut rich get richer its bout time the started helping those with less cash instead of themselves

Reply Posted by paula on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 14:23
And they wonder why people screw the system, its because they are trying to survive they can barley live on the scraps they get which are gong to be even less so yet agen there are going to be more houses broke into and more screwing the system, they goverment should try living on benefits, they would not last one day

Reply Posted by may on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 14:24
the sad thing is if you take £11 a week of the rich they wont even notice its gone,take it off the poor and their whole life is turned upside down.how can this be justified

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 15:21
Paula you are very wrong!
The government should not try living on benefits, benefit claimants should try provide for themselves, god forbid they may even have to get a job !!!!
As a tax payer it very gauling that my hard work and effort is reward with higher taxes to pay for the parasites who have never done a days work in there life, yet still bread like rabbits, drink, smoke, and take drugs!

Reply Posted by benefit on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 18:30
you may pay tax.. but does any of your tax pay for imagrants cosy lifestyles over here .and have never paid any TAX into the system...get rid of these and there will be plenty of houses for the needy,,

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 21:50
Oh here we go ! blame it on the immigrants, the people that come to work hard and provide for there families, maybe if the lazy arsed dolers got out a bed to do a days work, the poles wouldn't 'pinch' your jobs !!

Reply Posted by BENEFIT on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 22:00
fred..sad fred..you big taxpayer,,,the money the immigrants earn isn,t spend in our country,,,60% is send back home..what good is that to our econemy..

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 22:07
BENEFIT I agree with you! It's not good for the economy, but a least they pay taxed and don't live a life on benefit ! We need to get these people into work and off benefit, a large number are genuine but the lazy work shy spongers who have no intention of working make a mockerery of the system !

Reply Posted by benefit on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 22:33
fred,alot of them are out of work and receive benefits and housing and council tax benefits..my sister works at the benefit office..and it is full everyday with the immagrants waiting for handouts,put you dont mind your tax helping them..

Reply Posted by mel on Thursday March 7 2013 at 12:46
please dont tarnish all those on benefits with the same brush!! im on benefits as my husband is unable to work and needs 24 hr round the clock care. just to point out I DON'T drink, I DON'T smoke and I certainly DON'T do drugs. YES I have got children, and my children know that we are on benefits through no choice of our own, my 15 yr is already working and my 13 yr old is looking for small jobs ie baby sitting, handy man etc...

Reply Posted by Tim on Sunday March 10 2013 at 22:27
Fred, I am a job seeker, claiming job seekers allowance, I will stop claiming job seekers allowance when you stop claiming your tax Allowance! Or is that different? The truth is that you and thousands of working ( i will refrain from Stating Hard working as that may get personal) people have been brain washed in to believing that all job seekers are "Parasites" well you are wrong....I am a highly skilled construction manager who finds himself between jobs, Have i no right to claim these benefits that are earmarked for me. I pay my tax just like you, I also take my tax allowance etc the government is at fault here not your fellow citizen.......One day Fred you may need my support, now wouldn't that be something..

Reply Posted by Steve on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 15:27
This is a disgusting rule by the Tory toff's. My wife and I are one of the unfortunate to have to pay this bedroom tax. Our bungalow has 2 bedrooms and they are both used due to a medical condition I have. It's hard enough living on what benefits we receive now, so god help us and them what have to pay when this happens, atrocious behaviour towards the poor of this once great country of ours.

Reply Posted by Michele Crank on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 18:38
Well said Paula, May and Steve. Fred you need to live in the real world that's the type of comment you would get from one of the Tories's.I myself and my family is going to be affected by the bedroom tax in April but I have found something out under the Housing Act 1985 Section 326 that I could maybe use against it. We don't all breed like rabbits Fred or drink, smoke and take drugs some of us live in the real world. My hubby and I are not working at the moment but not through any fault of our own. I shouldn't have to explain myself though but I will I have severe depression, my hubby had a kidney transplant a while ago and we are carers for our daughter who is diabetic.

Reply Posted by Fred 2 on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 21:56
It's never your fault, depression my arse, carers for your daughter, that's what ever parent does, and some even manage to go to work aswell !

Reply Posted by Brian on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 19:33
In principle I agree with Fred. There are too many scroungers around who only think what can they take, not what they can give. The country is bankrupt and the government have to make savings where possible.

People living in 'social housing' pay preferential rents and why should they be allowed to occupy a property with spare bedrooms when there are other people who need those extra bedroomed properties. These people shoud be grateful that they have been provided with a property at public expense. Just be gratefull for what you have got. If you do not want to pay the so-called bedroom tax (although it is clearly not a tax) you could consider moving to a smaller property.

Reply Posted by happy shopper on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 20:18
brian get a life,there is a shortage of houses.so were are the smaller properties;get real before posting shite

Reply Posted by MICK on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 19:41
Fred the shred seems not to understand .Most people on benefits do work . The benefits they get are income support/ working families tax credit . The government hand this out to disguise the fact that the rich fats cats who own or are shareholders in business's are paying poverty pay and get away with it . It is time people woke up and started industrial action to improve there pay packets so they dont have to live off benefits.

Reply Posted by Tim on Sunday March 10 2013 at 22:33
Mick, A man with an eye on the ball.......

Reply Posted by les on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 20:08
Although i dont agree with the thatcherite
attitudes i think that i would not give the scottish rulers of this country the benefit of thinking they could get me out of my home for the sake of 2 cigs a day or a can of lager a day....they would kiss my arse first......but there getting away with everything doing away with aged bus passes. But not in scotland the millions they make out of you in hospital car parking in uk but not in scotland .
Like the grantham gremlin who once said in an interview she will not forgive this country for what it did to her father ...
And people still keep voting them in

Reply Posted by les on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 20:51
With regard to the taxpayers who pay so much tax to those out of work. let me assure you... you are paying nothing to people out of work or on benefits....
You are paying around a millionth of a penny in the pound you earn. to this cause. how come you dont complain about the cost of being in afghanistan .iraq ..millions paid out to bankers who are losing money and all the trillions squandered around the world......people out of work dont live tax free . everytime they buy 20 cigs. 80% goes back to tax everything they buy 20% is vat .do you claim any vat back because they dont if there werent as many biggots in this country who believe they are the only ones paying lets face it your old enough to know the old chinese proverb .if your paying plenty tax your getting plenty money

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 21:41
Les, "people out of work don't live tax free", what planet are you on??
They live entirely for free as they don't earn their money, they get it free !!! For doing nothing !!!

Reply Posted by Guesty McGuest on Thursday March 7 2013 at 11:47
Les, That is the single most stupid post I have ever seen on this website.
If you get benefits and you buy cigs, you pay VAT on the cigs out of the money that was give to you out of taxes, you haven't paid anything to start with so the tax is mute it just goes back into the system.

Where are benfits coming from the magical money tree? No the working man funds the tax system and fund the benefits system

Reply Posted by job on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 20:57
les.brilliant statement

Reply Posted by les on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 21:24
To mp michael dugher
dear sir as an mp you should know the laws relating to unemployment benefits...
The money that people get is theminimum

Reply Posted by les on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 21:31
The law......the law allows you to live on
even as means tested......you cannot be evicted from a tenancy if you are a long term tenant unless you break tenancy requirements wich is shown in tenancy agreement scotland is fighting it you and every other mps should follow

Reply Posted by les on Thursday March 7 2013 at 09:19
Heres a pointyou that pays all your tax if you lost your job. what would you do.....
I work. and have changed jobs a couple of times over the last 16 years. but the reality is im fortunate. ive had 60 years of good health good jobs good woman...but im not blind to what happens in the real world but. i am still a loyalist and a be mates with thy fellow countryman. but you sir fred & co are just bitter twisted pricks with no compassion for reality. and that is why this country is #/*^°«

Reply Posted by Michele Crank on Thursday March 7 2013 at 10:16
Well said Les. Fred you haven't got a clue about my life and anybody else's. Your attitude stinks.How dare you say depression my arse you don't even know me. Do you actually know anybody who has depression I bet you don't. I'd be shocked if you did. Have you got a child with a disability probably not. When anything goes wrong with my daughters diabetes, she is on the insulin pump then we have to literally drop everything. I have worked since I was 16 and my went to university and became a art teacher. We aren't scroungers, wasters or spongers at all. People like you Fred need to get a life.

Reply Posted by fred on Thursday March 7 2013 at 11:07
Just face it - why doesn't everyone get out there & get a job - then stop sponging off the taxpayer to pay your rent --- have self dignity and pay your own rent

Reply Posted by benefit on Thursday March 7 2013 at 11:33
fred.your digging a big hole for yourself..watch you dont fall in..where are all the jobs for the millions of out of work..fred go and count your money whilst watching live parliament debate,,you loser

Reply Posted by guestymcguest on Thursday March 7 2013 at 11:40
I'm gonna get hammered for this but can see the argument on both sides,

The tax as it is is for under occupancy - people have to pay for rooms they are not using.

If a room is not being used for the majority of the time then why should it be going spare 75% of the time when someone else can use it full time? We don't have the housing stock available so why not maximise what we have. No ones getting kicked out over this, people are going to be charged for having rooms they don't use.

Private homeowners have the same issues regarding single parents grand parents having kids over etc and they don't have anyone to compain to if you want to have a 3 bedroom house because your sisters husbands kid comes over then you get the money to buy one, you don't get the option -in most cases it's not possible.

Oh yeah an fetch back the mansion tax and 50p tax rate, if the country is so screwed EVERYONE should be contributing.

Reply Posted by may on Thursday March 7 2013 at 12:55
i was having a debate quite a while ago with a guy with the exact same attitude as you fred which became quite personal and offensive. i got an email off him last month offering his sincere appologies for the way he had judged me,it seems this guy had become seriously ill virtually overnight and was no longer able to work and ended up on benefits the last sentence of this email said i never thought i would end up like this and have to eat my own words,im sorry i was wrong. so please dont take anything for granted nobody knows whats around the next corner.this could happen to anyone

Reply Posted by Donna on Thursday March 7 2013 at 22:55
Well said may. My hubby lost his job about 4years ago n couldn't get work for nearly 2years. It was so hard, the benefit system is that poorly run they stopped our claim left us with no money for 6 weeks. I have 3 children and as living on just child benefit. We had nothing and all they offered us was a loan, which would have made us much worse off in the long term. I know 10 years ago when i took ill i had to go on beneits for 6months while pregnent and they did the same then but i genuinely had nothing Coming in for 7 Weeks and due to not being able to afford food and all the extra stress it put my husband and i under i gave birth to my baby 3 months early.
Can't imagine how much this is gonna affect those with no kids as I feel they will be hit the hardest. My heart and thought goes out to those people as I do feel they will be the ones that will be forgotten about when and if any help is offered, and will most probably be the ones made home less. I mean how many 1 bedroom properties is there in Barnsley cos I know I most certainly wouldn't like to live in shared accomadtion. It's just not safe anymore and don't think there will be enough to go round forcing people already in poverty in to debt. How can the government say that by law a person needs to live on £££ per week then push them below this with the tax. I feel those with two or more children will be able to manage by cutting back luxuarys but those with no and 1 kids already can't afford luxuries. It's very sad.

Reply Posted by Fed up on Sunday March 10 2013 at 22:31
SERIOUSLY ...
1- get it out of the way firstly - Immigrants. If they weren't here accepting lower pay packets, there would be more jobs available for 'scroungers and dolers'

2- it's a shame people are going to have to move out, but the system is finally making stuff work for everyone. some working families are squashed into 2 bedroom houses with 4 kids and expected to be happy about it ,
While on my street there's a pensioner living alone in a 3bedroom tarren house. Makes no sense. So yes, agree with the reshuffle or pay for the wasted room.

3- my husband is a serving member of HM Forces, so don't give me shit about benefits
We are parents to four,
I have qualifications coming out of my ears and can't get a job - cos there aren't any!

Also:
Diabetes is NOT a disability, and is not a reason for both parents to stay home. This sounds workshy to me. Just saying.

Reply Posted by Guest Mcguest on Monday March 11 2013 at 16:48
@ Fed up, With you above, on point 2 & 3, I've worked pretty much none stop since 14 been through college, paid my way through my quallifications got a full time job laid off twice with breaks in jobs of about 8 weeks total, in that time I put myself forward for anything I could get my hands on. It's just the way I was brought up.

When I was a kid my dad went through the miners strike whilst managing to support a family and a wife who was terminally ill, shortly after the miners strike he was laid off, he managed to find work and support 3 kids and run his own home as a single parent (not a council house). He's worked ever since. Even now after being offered early retirement he still works, he does part-time jobs now as a hobby, those saying there are no jobs are not trying hard enough.

People need to stop expecting from the state, stop looking to others all the time and help yourself.

There should not be any empty bedrooms in council houses, otherwise they are underused.

Reply Posted by Charles on Sunday March 10 2013 at 23:10
If someone does not want to work they can usually put forward a fabricated excuse. There are jobs available if people really do want to work. Those jobs may not pay a fancy salary, but nevertheless jobs are there for people who really want one.