MiCard Fares To Remain The Same For Young People

Tuesday March 5 2013

DESPITE increases across South Yorkshire in young people’s travel, Barnsley Council assures MiCard holders that their fare will remain at 30p.

This fare is active at all times for card holders.

If you're a resident in the borough and up to the age od 18, you can apply for a MiCard at libraries and community centres.

Reply Posted by Troll on Tuesday March 5 2013 at 20:32
Absolute discrace. How else are young people going to learn how to budget, and understand the rising costs of living if the big wigs keep giving them preferential treatment. Should scrap cheap fares for youngsters and bring all other fares down and invest in the quality of the service.

Reply Posted by Cathy on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 08:32
Young people get plenty of chances to learn how to budget. Give them a break, once they get past 18 the cheaper travel stops. Why are some people so anti youth, give them a chance..........did nobody ever give you a chance? Once they get to 18, wham , no concessions, life's hard enough, soon enough, in all areas, let's be civilised and help the younger members of our society.

Reply Posted by suzy on Friday March 8 2013 at 20:56
Totally agree. Too many kids concessions are already removed well before they are adults.

Reply Posted by mr x on Wednesday March 6 2013 at 11:28
Should scrap free travel for oap make them pay a little maybe half fare

Reply Posted by Tom on Friday March 8 2013 at 20:25
Young people have it real tough now, their life chances are much poorer, there aren't jobs for them and housing is unaffordable. Old people have never had it so good and they continue to get above inflation pension rises and plenty of other perks. Charge OAPS a small amount to travel, and let young people travel for free.

Reply Posted by LV on Friday March 8 2013 at 20:40
Why charge the elderley?! They've worked all their lives, they've paid into the system and many of them struggled through worse times than we have now!! They have earnt all they have. We didn't have MiCards when I was younger! They were introduced as I turned 18! But it didn't bother me as I knew how to get cheaper travel that worked out at 80p-£1 each way (based on a return journey Mon-Fri). I had to save my money to do anything, I didn't have hand outs from my parents. I was taught to budget as soon as I was trusted to have my own money rather than it going straight in the bank. I say they should put the fares back to how they were before the MiCards were introduced: 40p with the card, full fare without. They'll soon learn responsibility when they're told to walk home if they don't have their MiCard.

Reply Posted by becki on Friday March 8 2013 at 21:19
It does mi head in people sayin scrap stuff make young ens pay but it helps the parents out with savin a little bit if money in bus fares n before anyone says owt were not on benefits we pay full for everything so havin just that little bit of savin actually turns out to b alot so its nice to have a bit of help now n again

Reply Posted by kCarens on Friday March 8 2013 at 21:25
TO LV: Why charge the elderly, young people get no respect from them, we give up our seats for them on the buses, get no thank you, I think it's a disgrace, as I in the past had to give up my seat I don't mind doing it because they are disabled but the point is all I get is a dirty look and no thanks, don't you realise how hard it is to get a job these day's, not as easy, the elderly have money, we don't yes my parents always paid for my travel. I am actually considering not giving up my seat for the elderly because all I get is dirty looks and no thanks, ignorant people, what planet are you from LV I don't know.