Watchdog Helps Council Improve Work Readiness In Young People

Tuesday March 19 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

A WATCHDOG has suggested ways in which the council can help instill work readiness in the town's young people.

Barnsley Council's economy and skills scrutiny commission was told by employers that although many youngsters have the academic qualifications they require, many cannot find jobs because they lack work-related skills such as a hungry work ethic good timekeeping.

The watchdog has recommended the council strengthens its relationship with schools and employers to help young people become more work ready.

The council's ruling cabinet said it had worked with school leaders and the One Barnsley Skills, Enterprise and Employability Board to get business leaders and schools involved in the programme.

Other recommendations include creating a list of work experience placements, more support for businesses who are willing to offer apprenticeships, and introducing an 'employability' module into the curriculum.

Reply Posted by squirrel on Tuesday March 19 2013 at 15:28
Could you ask them what they are doing for those people that are over 50 and staring long term unemployment in the face

Reply Posted by Lisa Walker on Tuesday March 19 2013 at 16:57
I completely agree that more needs to be done for students entering the world of work. I run an employability training company in Barnsley (currently working with final year uni students) and would love to be involved in something like this can you give details of who is trying to implement it?

Reply Posted by Lisa on Wednesday March 20 2013 at 09:28
An employability module into the curriculum sounds good.
I work part time in a secondary school and I think the kids are crying out for something like this, they want to know about the next stage of their life, ie the world of work, lets make them hungry for work. No good sitting back saying how unready they are! Lets encourage and inspire them.
There are some smashing kids out there ready to leave school and start work, lets run with the ball and help them all we can. These youngsters deserve a chance to create a good life for themselves and they are our future too.

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest on Wednesday March 20 2013 at 18:45
utterly laughable, what next how to tie your shoelaces?

Reply Posted by Alan on Wednesday March 20 2013 at 19:01
I dont know how old you are guesty but from your comment I take it its a while since you left school and got your first job.
Its a different world, school and work wise. Keep up and do some research.

Reply Posted by guesty mcguest on Wednesday March 20 2013 at 21:08
Alan, Im in my 30's I've had 4 jobs since leaving college, and never did I need telling that I should be "hungry for work" I learnt from an early age if I went to work I got paid, that's always worked for me. As for good time keeping I just bought a watch.

The main issue with Barnsley right now is the lack of jobs that offer a decent living wage and a council that is unable to attract employers that can offer these. I don't need a scrutiny commission to work that one out either

Reply Posted by Alan on Thursday March 21 2013 at 08:07
I totally agree the kids should already have within themselves a work ethic and good time keeping skills, but many just don't ! Many don't get this message from home either.
Your last paragraph is the crux of it. Alot of kids do not see a future. Poorly paid, low skilled, dead end jobs easily outweigh any quality jobs round here. If the kids have little or no support at home they give up, and again, giving up is a sign of the times, todays culture. More parents seem to be doing everything for their kids, so the kids take no responsibility for themselves.
'Sorry I'm late Sir my mum didn't get me up', and 'I haven't got my PE kit cos my mum didn't put it in my bag'.
Its very frustrating, you do think just get on with it, take resonsibility, but so many just don't.
If school can step in, have set time to promote 'work' then it's a step forward for the sorry state we're in regarding readiness for work.